Chiều cao dòng

This is funny. Leela be like,

Mujhe aazmaati hai teri kami
Meri har kami ko hai tu laazmi

Junoon hai mera

Banoon main tere qaabil
Tere bina guzaara
Ae Dil Hai Mushkil

In the night, Anahita and Nausheen laid in the extreme corner of the post. The former faced the wall. Ignoring her friend's whining, Anahita admired her bangle. The memory lifted her mood slightly. She smiled to herself. As this continued, there was a knock at the door.

The girls were alarmed.

"Who is it?" Anahita called.

A man cleared his throat, - "Nausheen!"

"Shoaib!"

Nausheen jumped on the spot, and was about to rush to the door when Anahita called her.

"Hey, I am not ready yet." She got down.

"Oops!" Nausheen nervously entwined her fingers. Anahita shot her a glare as she wore her satin night robe over her sleeveless nightdress. Swiftly, she braided her hair into quick twin braids. Tying the ribbon on the last one, she tossed it behind her and huffed. Nausheen rushed to her and grabbed her hand.

"Please give us some time, little." She pleaded, with puppy-eyes and a pout. The look forced Anahita to agree.

"Ten minutes."

Nausheen thought for a moment, - "At least, give half an hour?"

Anahita rolled her eyes.

The only place she could think to pass her time was the backyard. She casually strode there and noticed someone was already there.

Asif lounged on one of the chair, with the melody playing from the radio on the table.

Ithlaati hawa, neelam sa gagan

Kaliyon pe yeh behoshi ki nami

Aise mein bhi kyoon bechain hai dil

Jeevan mein na jaane kya hai kami

- Chori Chori (1956)

Anahita smiled, composed her posture and walked to him.

Kyun aag si lagaake gumsum hai chaandni

Sone bhi nahin deta mausam ka yeh ishaara

"Hey!" She called.

Asif blew a puff from his cigarette and turned around.

"Hey!" He sounded confused.

Anahita giggled, - "So immersed in the music that you did not hear me come."

"Actually!" He chuckled, rubbing the bridge of his nose. Anahita watched the lit end of his cigarette. For a moment, she feared the dangling wavy fringes of his hair might catch fire.

"Why don't you cut your hair?" She asked, ruffling his hair. Asif looked around, surprised, and she liked that look.

"I assume you are in a better mood now." He had an amused smile on his face.

"Thanks for ruining my mood." She slumped into the chair, and neatly tucked the nightdress under her.

Asif furrowed his brows, - "What happened? Aren't you happy that you have another half-brother?"

Anahita disinterestedly tapped her fingers on the round table, - "Another, being the keyword. Don't know what the hell that woman eats that she bears only sons."

Asif sighed.

"Now, father will care even more for her. You know something, Asif,"- She played with the knot of her robe, - "I have imagined and desire to give you, one if not all and only sons." She avoided looking at him.

There was a pause, but she was too embarrassed to glance up.

"Hmm! Too many boys are boring. Daughters are fun."

Anahita clicked her tongue, and looked up, - "If they are so much fun, then my father and your father wouldn't have married the second time."

Asif was speechless. He blinked at her.

"This is the truth, Asif. By now, I understand this pattern. And the only way to keep you all to myself will be to birth a son for you."

There was silence again, but their eye contact was strong.

Asif reached out for her hand and gently held it, - "There is nothing wrong with having preferences, but it is wrong to obsesses over it. And, you are making wrong assumptions. Though I am happy you confessed your thoughts to me, your confession about keeping me to yourself by a son has hurt me. You demeaned my love for you."- He caressed her knuckles, - "Son, daughter or no kid, doesn't matter to me. And I will stick to it till the end. If you trust me, my love, you should have known better."

Anahita slipped her hand from his grip, - "I am sorry, but do you not want an heir? Or your family name will perish."

Asif smiled, leaning his weight against his arm on the table, - "My existence starts from you and ends with you, Anahita. Rest nothing matters. Truly."

Anahita was still for a moment and then smiled, lowering her gaze while he kept admiring her.

Just then, the song changed on the radio,

"Besides, Ahad is there to continue the family legacy." Asif added.

Udhar tum hasin ho

Idhar dil jawaan hai

Ye rangin raaton ki

Ek daastaan hai

- (Mr&Mrs.55 1955)

His face lit up, Anahita's cheek flushed redder.

"Ah-Ha!" He exclaimed, leaning back and then came closer humming and mouthing the song along with the radio playing the music in soft tone.

Asif rose from his seat and gave a hand. Anahita smiled shyly as she gave her hand to him. He helped her stand and twirled her around. She chuckled.

Mere ghar mein

Aayi hui hai bahaar
Qayaamat hai phir Kyun karun intazaar

They held hands, and shared a loving look.

Mohabbat kuchh

Aisi saza de rahi haiKi khud raat

Angadaayi le rahi hai

Jidhar dekhati hunNazaara jawaan hai

Asif gestured at his heart and pulled her closer.

"May I." He asked.

Anahita nodded,

"Not like this, my love. I want to hear your answer. Loud and clear."

She stared into his eyes, and gulped softly, - "Yes." She replied.

Asif gently held her waist and they moved with the tune.

Mahekane laga

Meri zulfon mein koiLagin jaagane

Dhadakanen soi-soi

Meri har nazar aajDil kii zubaan hai

They almost tripped, thanks to her flowing dress and their inexperience. Together they laughed at their goof up.

Tarasata hun

Main aise diladaar ko

Jo dil mein basa

Le mere pyaar ko

Asif twirled her around again, then he held her waist and clasped their other hand. Anahita admired him in the semi-darkness, with the moon and stars above them.

Mere dil pe hain

Teri palakon ke saae

Ki mere labon pe
Teri daastaan hai ❞

He brought her closer and leaned forward placing a feather kiss on her forehead. Anahita smiled.

Udhar tum hasin ho

Idhar dil jawaan hai

Ye rangin raaton ki

Ek daastaan hai

"I love you." Asif confessed. Anahita closed her eyes as their forehead touched. The time stood still for her as the proximity was heartening.

"I love you too." She responded. Then she cuddled close to him.

Asif caressed the back of her head, - "Why were you here? Couldn't sleep?"

Anahita shook her head, - "Nausheen kicked me out."- She sighed and mindlessly continued speaking, - "They are at it like rabbits."

There was a pause, she realized what she had said. Quickly, she pulled apart and covered her face. Asif laughed at her reaction, but she was too embarrassed to move her hand away and scolded him.

"You are so cute, Anahita." He slipped her hands away. She shied and hid her face in his chest again. He wrapped his arms around her, engulfing her in a hug.

Sometime later, Asif spoke, - "Anahita, there is another important thing I want to sort before our marriage."

"Hmm." She leaned back, keeping her arms around him.

He took her hands in his, - "I have thought something for your future. Nausheen had said how you wanted to work and I have seen your dedication to your studies. So, after you finish your BSc here, I will help you shift to England and complete your higher studies there. A PHD or whatever you want. You can work there, get some experience and return. You can stay with my cousin Sophia. She is a single mother."

Anahita looked away for a moment, then back at him, - "Will you be with me?"

Asif shook his head, - "I will be here, I am practicing here. But don't worry, like before, I can do on and off from India to England. Besides, I have planned to move out from Mr. Khan's Haveli and have my home. Our own home."

He noted her reaction and continued, - "And there, Anahita, until I established things you will have to live a life without luxuries of servants, drivers and big cars. That is why I think going to England till I earn enough to keep you comfortably will be best."

Anahita shook her head and extended her hands, cupping his face, - "I can live without luxuries, it will be difficult and will take time to adjust. But I cannot live without you, Asif."

"Yes, even I cannot live without you, my dear."- He moved her hands and clasped it,- "But be practical. And it is about a few years, then we will be together forever. I don not want to limit your ambitious."

"To hell with ambitions. I want you." Anahita wiped her tears with the back of her palms, - "I can do whatever, here, with you." She looked at him with pleading gaze.

Asif's expressions relaxed, he threw an arm around her, - "Okay, my love, whatever suits you. Just do not say I did not warn you. Also, I would want for you to not give up on your ambitions for a man, or anyone else."

Anahita smiled through her tears, - "Good, we spoke about all this." She rested her head against his shoulder.

"Open communication is very important." He added, manoeuvring her towards the chairs again.

"Asif, can we stay here tonight? This way." She watched him as he entwined their fingers.

"Why? Once we are married, you will have all the time in the world." He flashed a charming grin, dimples playing at the corner of his mouth.

She smiled fleetingly, lowered her head and then looked up, - "I do not know why I am feeling restless, suddenly."

"Why?" He shifted, getting serious.

She looked at his face and shrugged, - "Nothing serious, just—"

"Please do not fret." He patted her hand, - "In sha Allah, tomorrow we will register and soon, we will be called to get married. Just a matter of days now." He assured her.

"Hmm."

"Tomorrow, during college's lunch break, Raza Chacha will come to pick you up." Asif made her rest her head on his shoulder. Anahita let out a breath and closed her eyes. They stayed this way for some time, then the rest of the time they spend adoring each other, caressing and holding hands.

Anahita took in all of his handsome features, imprinting everything in her mind and heart. She felt his soft and comforting touch on her hands and enjoyed the tranquillity. Sleep had escaped her and time froze for her. She was in the presence of the man she loved with all her heart and soul. That was enough for her. At that moment, she wished the time would never pass, and they would freeze like this forever. Hand in hand, eye to eye in proximity to each other.

There was something refreshing about the morning. Even though Anahita had barely slept, she was fresh as a daisy. Nausheen was suspicious when she asked for her help with a white floral organza saree. Saree? To college? Her friend was confused. Still, she helped her. Beautiful pink flowers printed on the organza material of the saree, matched with sleeveless white blouse.

"Beautiful bangles. You didn't have these before." Nausheen complimented.

Anahita blushed, caressing the gold bangle, - "Dhani got for me, my mother send. I became a sister, again. That is why?"

Nausheen pressed her lips, then said, - "Bhaijaan gave you, right?"

Anahita stilled, her hand hovering over the surma box. She looked at their reflection and caught her gaze.

"I saw you two last night. Since how long has this been going?" She tilted her head, resting her fist against her waist.

Anahita gulped. Slowly, she turned around and raised her hand defensively, - "I can explain."

After narrating everything, including the plan to marry, Nausheen's expressions turned intense, and then she broke into a wide smile.

"You two will marry. That means we will be related." She widened her eyes. Anahita nodded excitedly. Two girls squealed with happiness. Nausheen took her in a bear-hug.

"I should start calling you bhabhijaan." She teased, nudging her friend. Anahita turned red, covered her face with both her hands, keeping a silly smile. Nausheen insisted, that she readied her for the big day and Anahita wouldn't have it any other way.

After dressing her in saree, she combed her hair, pleating it in a loose braid and added some fresh mogra flowers, - "Madhubala's favourite." She winked at her. Anahita looked away, shyly.

The hair was done, Nausheen rested it in front while she wore tiny black bindi, plucking out a few strands of hair and resting them on the sides of her face. Anahita wore the best perfume and then slipped her feet into her white sequin Jhutis.

"MashAllah!" Nausheen ran her arm around her, then dipped the tip of her finger into the surma box and planted a tiny dot behind her ear.

Anahita impatiently waited for her wristwatch to strike 12. She kept glancing at her watch and at the wall-clock above the blackboard. The Professor noticed her, tapping her pencil agitatedly against her hand and even objected. She excused herself and tried to concentrate on her studies. Time will eventually pass.

At 11:55, her heartbeat quickened with each passing of the second's hand. Finally, the clock struck 12, and she jolted from her seat. In the hurry, her thigh crashed into the back of the desk. Her groan and the ringing of the bell were in sync.

Anahita adjusted her bag and whooshed out of the classroom. In the corridor, she met Nausheen who took her bag from her. She fixed her friend's appearance and double checked everything, also reapplied the perfume.

"All the best." The girls hugged, - "I can hear your heartbeat. Just do not get a heart-attack." Nausheen teased, tapping Anahita's back.

Anahita glided down the stairs, floating, feeling light on her feet. Her mind was racing and so was her pulse. As she climbed the last stair and aimed towards the large metal gates, a voice called to her and she stopped in her tracks. Her driver, Kesar, and Dhani stood at the end of the stairs. Anahita's heart dropped, seeing Dhani in tears. The stains pooling on the neckline of her maroon cotton blouse.

Yeh kya hua last mein...

Now, we realize from where did Anahita Devi's obsession with "sons" is rooted from *Sigh*

Asif's future planning *_* He is such a sorted man.

How was the Chapter, my sweeties? And what are your predictions? Drop your thoughts and guesses in the comments, please. Stay Tuned for the next update *Lots of Love* *Hugs and Kisses*

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro