7 • Friendship, Love & Betrayal

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Song: An milo an milo shyaam saanware

Film: Devdas 1955 

Anahita strolled on the grass, mindlessly plucking out the petals of jasmine flowers in her palm. She stared front at the garden. With all the servants asleep and the gardener gone home in the afternoon, the backyard of her place was quiet and calm. Also, the movie Devdas wasn't completely out of her head. Still, she flinched at the reminder of the climax scene.

"An milo an milo shyaam saanware

Braj men akeli raadhe khoi khoi fire

O kaanha an milo "

Anahita grinned shyly, throwing away the stem of the flower and plucked out the other. This song has gotten stuck in her head and she would dream of her favorite actor.

"Wrindaawan ki galiyan men tum bin jiyara na laage

Kis din tumari baat nihaare wyaakul nain abhaage

Abahin aisi dasha hai man ki ka hoi hai fir age "

"What is so amusing?"

Anahita stilled, her fingers pinched the smooth, soft, and delicate petals. Snappily, she turned and blinked at Asif, who stood at some distance from them. He was alone in the middle of the backyard of her Haveli. How? Why?

She dropped all the flowers, scattering them on the grass beneath her feet.

"Oh!" Asif rushed and bend down. Anahita took a step back, her flowing white and pink long skirt trailing to the ground.

"What are you doing?" She tugged behind her hair and her ears.

"Collecting these." He looked up and then he sharply looked away.

"What happened?" Anahita gasped, as he winced, rubbing his eyes with the sleeve of his yellow printed Kurtha.

Asif got up, pulled out aviator sunglasses from the top side pocket, and wore it.

"These blue eyes come with their own pros and cons. Sensitive to sunlight." He forwarded her the flowers. She nodded, taking from him.

Accidentally, his fingers brushed against hers and Anahita quickly retracted her hand, as though she had touched a live wire. He seemed dazed as well.

To distract them, she spoke: "And the pros?" She tilted her head to the side.

"Women swoon over it." He smirked, slightly tipping the handle of his sunglasses.

Anahita rolled her eyes, keeping a smile on her face.

"mitwa laagi re yeh kaisi anbujh aag

mitwa mitwa mitwa nahi aaye

laagi re yeh kaisi "

Asif picked up a breath and looked back at her, - "What were you thinking? Let me guess."

Anahita smiled, looking at him. The gentle breeze kept blowing wisps of hair on her face, - "Do you know me so well to guess what was on my mind?" She chuckled.

He grinned, - "I have been seeing you since you were a toddler. And now, with our interactions, even if it's limited. I can at least, try."

Anahita felt her cheeks burn. "I have been seeing you since you were a toddler."

She glanced at him and smiled a little, playing with her finger as she spoke, - "You are talking as though you were an over-aged uncle. We have only four years age difference."

Asif nodded, still smiling. Anahita continued as they walked together side by side, - "You remember how you, me, and Nausheen used to play as kids?"

Asif took a deep breath, folding his hands behind him. Anahita noticed him straightened and his posture stiffened, - "Clearly. Those were the best days of my life. Until—until I was sent to boarding school." He shook his head. With his sunglasses, she couldn't make out his expressions, but his tone was bitter.

He turned his head to glance at her, while she kept her head lowered, - "I missed you, both. The first few months were torturous. I kept wishing you—and Nausheen would come to me. Did you miss me?"

Anahita suddenly moved her head to look at him- Did you miss me?

Truthfully, she missed him during their playtime, but he was out of her mind most of the time. Now that he brought it up, she thought of him.

"Somewhat." She replied, looking away. Asif chuckled, and she looked back, furrowing her eyebrows. Anahita abruptly stopped in her tracks.

"I like your honesty."- He paused, gesturing her to continue walking, - "by the way, I spoke to my friend and he said he will definitely get you an autograph."

Anahita gasped, stopping once again. She gaped at him, - "Really?"

He nodded. She yelped, jumping on the spot, - "I think I will faint." She held her head. Asif faked concern and joked,

- "Don't faint yet. Get it first. Then show it off and frame it."

Anahita nodded excitedly, clasping her palms tightly, and bit her lower lip. Asif admired her until his sister's voice distracted him, calling out to her friend. Anahita and Nausheen waved at each other.

Iravati walked into the study, observing her husband, Prathuman. He sat at the table, going through some papers. An ink pen in one hand and a cigar in his mouth. A young boy squatted next to the extinguished fireplace and played with some wooden toys. Iravati eyed the boy with an intense gaze, a bitter feeling rising from her chest.

Prathuman's gaze fell on Iravati. He removed the cigar from his mouth and blew a puff, - "What happened, dear?" He asked politely.

Iravati grimaced, her piercing gaze stuck on the child, - "You boy!", - the young kid looked up, - "Leave." The boy shot a glance at Prathuman, who nodded at him. He readily got up, gathered all the toys, and leisurely walked out of the room. Iravati gestured to one of the butlers, who stood out of the room. The man bowed a little and closed the double door, disappearing behind it.

Prathuman sighed, leaning forward, and stubbed out his cigar in the ashtray.

He tried to stay calm as he expressed his displeasure, - "Why are you talking like that to Naman? You know he is not a servant's child."

Iravati sighed, - "But he is the son of a street dancer." She rolled her eyes.

"But he is my son as well." Prathuman's tone rose. Iravati flinched and took a moment to relax her expressions. She changed her look to a kinder one, sliding gracefully towards her husband.

She sat next to him, and leaned a little, - "I can understand, you are enjoying your time with your—other wife and you have all the rights but—"

Prathuman held her cheek, - "Ira, you know I love you and I love Leela, too. But—"
"She is younger than me and also gave you two sons, which I couldn't." Iravati lowered her eyes and slumped her shoulder.

He shook his head and held her hands, - "Dear, please don't little yourself. Tell me, why are you here?"

Iravati looked up at him with sad eyes, - "Since you have come, you are spending time with only her. I haven't even asked you why you brought her here when you were spending a month with her in Gujrat." She said.

Prathuman caressed her cheek, - "Ira, do I interfere in your work? Your parties and friends? Then, please don't get into this. Just tell me, why are you here?" He leaned against his chair and grabbed a few papers.

Iravati exhaled deeply, - "Do you love Anahita?"

Prathuman straightened, taking offense to the statement but doesn't interrupt his wife, - "Have you thought of her marriage? Strange alliances like that of Manyata's son is coming and you are—"

He caressed his stubbled chin, and spoke after a thoughtful pause, - "Abhaiveer, Abhaiveer Singhaniya, right? Manyata and Late Kaushal Singhaniya's son, right?"

Iravati nodded, making a distasteful face.

Prathuman shrugged, - "What is wrong with him? He is a smart young man and confident. He is far-sighted, ambitious, intelligent." Prathuman replied, his gaze wandering back to his papers. He worked in all his finance in them.

Iravati pressed her lips, - "Young? He is fifteen years elder than Anahita. Also, his first wife Pratibha is dead and so is his ten-year-old daughter. And you want our daughter to get married to him? Are you out of your mind?"

Prathuman glared at her, - "We have thirteen years age difference, mine and Leela's age difference is even more. To reject an alliance just on this basis is ridiculous."

"And his first wife and child?"

He rolled her eyes, - "Leela married me, right. At least, his wife is dead." He flipped back curls that fell over his forehead, - "Anyway, wait for other alliances. I will search as well, but—don't reject this yet."

Iravati knew any discussion beyond this will be foolish with this man. He had lost his mind, comparing an LS dancer to their high-class daughter. 

Just as she got up, Leela walked with a tray of teacup in her hand. Iravati stopped in her tracks, the young woman looked back and quickly averted her gaze to her husband. Prathuman got distracted by her heavy silver anklet. She walked graciously towards him, a smile on her youthful face. Iravati haughtily turned around and stormed out of the room.

Oh, an ice-breaker between our leads. Let's see where this blossoming friendship takes them?

Fun Fact: Iravati is 38 years. Prathuman is 50 and Leela is 27. 

I wonder how Anahita is going to take this news? She is pampered by her father and loves/trusts him the most. Will she accept or rebel? 

How was the Chapter, my lovelies? Drop your thoughts, your predictions/guesses, so I know I am doing something right and you are enjoying the story.

Stay Tuned for the next update, you guys! *Lots of Love* *Hugs and Kisses*

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro