Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Nain Mile Nain Huye Baaware

Chain Kaha Mohe Sajan Saanvare

Nain Huye Baaware, Nain Mile Nain Huye Baaware ❞ 

-Taarana (1951)

"You know my favorite actor. But who is yours?"

"Madhubala. It is a beautiful coincidence that our favorites might be a real-life couple."

"Yes, so?" She had pretended to sound unmoved.

Anahita smiled shyly recollecting her recent talk with Asif. He had come to hand her some more novels from Nausheen. They were hidden amongst textbooks. Unknown to him, as well.

Dekhte Hi Dekhte Main Kho Gayi

Jagte Hi Jagte Main So Gayi

Ab Kabhi Main Jagna Na Chaahun Re, Nain Huye Baaware

She admired her favorite actor's autograph that he had slipped in between the books. It was a delightful surprise.

"Who was he, Annie? I have seen him before, too." Dhani interrupted her.

Without looking up from the signed photograph in her hand, Anahita answered, - "Nausheen's elder brother Asif."

She looked up and noticed Dhani. She stared dreamily at the canopy of the poster bed.

"Oh, someone is having a crush on him." Anahita teased her friend, wiping the silly smile from her face.

Dhani became serious again, - "What are you saying, Annie? I am a servant girl and I can't afford to have any such crushes. It will be heart-break for sure." She played with one of her pig-tail braids.

Anahita sat up on the bed, flipping her loose braid behind her, - "Don't say like that, Dhani. You work here, but first, you are a human."- She placed her hands on her hips, glaring at her. Dhani lowered her head, twirling the edge of her cotton white dupatta.

"Besides,"- Anahita shifted, picking up her books, - "Asif will be offended if you say so in front of him. He has the same thought as me."

Dhani's face lit up again, - "Really?"

Anahita looked at her with her right eyebrow arched. Dhani blushed and scurried out of the room. She dashed into another middle-aged maid who just walked in. This resulted in her cursing at Dhani, and Anahita giggled at the sight.

The stubby woman adjusted her saree, tugging her pallu into her petticoat and straightened, - "Anahita betiya,"- her voice and expressions softened, - " Bade Malik is calling for you." She informed.

"Oh!" Anahita quipped, and quickly grabbed her mint green net dupatta.

Prathuman was in his study with Leela and their kids. As Anahita walked in, she almost tripped over Naman's toy car. He ran to her and grabbed his car without bothering to apologize. Anahita found him rude, but out of courtesy, didn't make an issue out of it. But it irked her as her father's friend's wife and kids roamed around as though they owned the place. And especially, Leela was clingy to her father. Though she didn't talk about it to her mother, Anahita was sure this bothered Iravati bothered as well.

Anahita glanced at Leela, the toddler in her arms smiled at her. But she looked away. After Prathuman asked them to leave, he turned his attention towards a box on the study table.

Anahita titled her head, observing her father. He took out a beautiful delicate gold chain with small beads of pearl.

"For you, my love." He forwarded it to her. She felt solicitous and held her father's hand.

"Thank you, Father. It is stunning." She kissed his knuckles and looked up at him with a bright smile. She knew her father would never return empty-handed from any of his tours, especially for her.

Prathuman grinned, feeling pride in his daughter. Anahita always brightened his life. He remembered well, when everyone was upset with the birth of a second daughter, including Iravati, he was the only one who was in the seventh sky. Anahita was unlike his first daughter, Ambika. She was more obedient and caring for her parents.

Anahita admired the chain in the hand mirror and complimented Prathuman. She embraced him and gushed her gratefulness. He lovingly caressed her hair.

"Um, Beta. May I ask you something?"

Anahita parted and nodded, - "Of course, Father. But you needn't ask me. I am your daughter." She replied in a polite tone.

Prathuman felt lighter in his chest, - "There are few risthas for you." He saw her reaction. Anahita inhaled inaudibly but didn't interrupt him. He picked out an envelope and forwarded it to her.

"I know it is not in the custom to meet or see your groom before marriage, but—I don't want you to marry blindly. These are the photographs of your suitors. Please have a look." He smiled kindly at her.

Anahita reciprocated the smile and politely handed it back to him, - "Father, there is no need for this. I trust you completely. Whoever you select will definitely be the best for me. I will marry him."- With a pause, she added, - "I don't trust mother, though." She chuckled lightly. Prathuman agreed.

Anyway, he persuaded his daughter to have a look. Anahita was excited and shy, wondering who her future husband will be.

The next day, without telling anyone about her true intentions, Anahita visited Nausheen. She planned to surprise her and discuss with her. Throughout her way, she kept a silly smile. Marriage and romance always got her friend excited.

Anahita stepped down her car, then she spotted another car that was rarely seen here. She knew whose it was, her father's friend and Nausheen's father- Ijazul Haq Khan. Nausheen wouldn't be in much good mood because of the strained relationship with their father. Ijazul Haq mostly stayed and worked in Delhi, after the death of his second wife in birthing their youngest son Ahad, his coming was even rarer.

Anahita knew her friend's relationship with her father was difficult, but she never brought this up. As she walked through the lush garden area, passing by the cast-stone fountain, she was greeted by a man. He was tall, dressed in Khadi Kurtha. In his middle-age, his look radiated youthfulness. Quite charming and sharp features like his kids, but with a permanent smirk on his face.

"Good morning, young lady." He greeted her in a formal tone, tilting his head slightly towards her.

Anahita nodded, keeping a thin smile, - "Good morning, Uncle."

After a small chat, mostly a questionnaire by Mr. Khan. They parted ways. Anahita let out a breath and without turning back she hurried inside the mansion.

At the entrance, she met the Khan's loyal servant, Raza, whose forefathers worked here since forever.

"Sorry, Malkin, Choti Malkin has gone for tennis practice. There is Asif Malik but—he is distressed right now. So, you should leave. Malkin" He said politely.

"Why is Asif disturbed? Is he alright?" Anahita worried a bit. Raza requested she stayed away from the matter but she refused and he couldn't argue with her.

Over time, she grew a little attached to Asif, especially after he got the autograph- she won't lie about that.

Anahita climbed the stairs and glided towards the large hallway leading to one of the rooms on the first floor. As soon as she walked in, she gasped upon finding the entire room in topsy-turvy. Clothes scattered, chairs upturned and glass items She gasped, staring at his disheveled bed. So unlike Asif, who kept everything flawlessly clean.

She wandered in the room, uncertainly, - "Asif?"

A loud thud made her flinch and she promptly twirled around. Asif aggressively slammed the door with his hand. When his gaze fell on Anahita, he was rooted on spot. It worried and scared her to see anger flickering in his eyes. She never saw this side of him. For her, Asif Rahman Khan was the epitome of calmness, intelligence, and a wise guy.

"What are you doing here?" He spoke in a suppressed voice. Anahita noted his heavy breathing and then something peeked from behind the broken buttons of his Kurta.

"Hey, Bhagwan! Asif, what is this?" She hurried to him and reached out to hold the collar of his pale blue Kurtha when he caught her hand in lightning-fast reflex. Anahita stilled. It felt as if she was meeting someone new; his doppelgänger. Yet, the touch was familiar and reassuring. The skin of her wrist tingled, making her feel a knot in the stomach. Anahita's heartbeat took a slight dip.

"Asif,"- She easily slipped her hand as his grip around her wrist softened, - "You are hurt. Have you seen the doc—"

"No, I haven't. Please don't interfere with this." He seemed to be trying to tame his anger. His shoulder hit hers as he passed by her. Anahita shook her head and turned to face him.

"I will, Asif."

He sighed deeply, - "Why?" He sounded weary.

"Because you are my friend, of course." She confessed.

Asif turned to face her, his expressions were hard to decipher for her.

"Still, there are certain things that can't be shared amongst friends. There are always boundaries. And our friendship isn't so deep to—"

"It can be if we allow it to." Anahita interrupted and took a step closer. Their gaze locked together. Once again, she reached out to move aside the broken buttons of his Kurtha. He held her hand and Anahita inhaled sharply. Their eyes stared deeply into each other.

"Some wounds are best left hidden." His voice was low. She gulped softly and looked away. She noticed a deep healed scar on his wrist and concern overtook her again.

"Asif." She gasped. This time, when she grabbed his hand, Asif doesn't protest. He broke from his trance and looked at his hand.

"This is old. You needn't worry about it." He jerked his hand. As he passed her again, Anahita extended her hand and laced her fingers with his. Asif stopped in his track. They shared a stare, her eyes pleading to him. He helplessly shook his head and walked away. Anahita watched him enter the bathroom and shut the door.

She paused, staring at the closed door. After a moment, she sighed. Adjusting her salmon pink bandini dupatta on her right shoulder, she took it diagonally and tied a knot at her hip. She chuckled at the thought that she had never ever cleaned her own room and yet she was organizing a stranger's room.

Finally, Anahita finished most of the tidying part. She wasted a little time on marveling at the thick law books. She did the bed last and as she placed the pillows, the bathroom door opened. Asif yelped upon seeing her. He wasn't expecting her to have stayed. Anahita squeaked, rooting on the spot.

He had been leisurely taking a shower and emerged out in a bathrobe. Anahita's eyes widened, and she jumped, turning her back to him. Though she had seen him for a fleeting second, the image of his dampened body wrapped in an ivory bathrobe got etched in her mind. She closed her eyes tightly, her cheeks getting warm.

"What is this behavior, Anahita?" He spoke in a rushed tone. Anahita's chest heaved as she heard his hurried footsteps followed by the opening and slamming of the cupboard doors.

"You can look now."

Anahita was awkward as she twisted her body a little, glimpsed him in a striped shirt and bathrobe wrapped around his waist. Hastily, she turned around again.

"I am waiting outside." She tried escaping with her eyes closed but her knee japed against the sharp edge of the bed. She moaned in pain. He reached out to her, but she gushed away like a wild wind.

Anahita pressed her back against the wall outside the room. Her eyes were still closed, but the mental image of him couldn't calm her erratic breathing. It made it worse. A minute later, Asif walked out.

"Why didn't you leave Anahita? Had anybody seen us, what would they think?"

Anahita opened her eyes and turned her head to face him, - "So?"

Asif shifted his weight to the other feet, - "We are alone in this mansion, except for the servants. And you know how they like to gossip."

"So?" Anahita shrugged.

"So?"- Asif's mouth hung open, - "If you don't care about your reputation. I do, okay?"
Anahita smiled cheekily, - "But now, you said our friendship wasn't so deep. So, why do you care about my reputation?" She placed a hand on her hip.

It startled Asif for a second, - "It is basic human decency to care about a woman's chastity."

"Chastity? You think a woman's chastity lies in being untouched by any man other than her husband?" Anahita glared at him.

"Well—not—me, exactly—but the society." Asif fumbled with his words.

"My father taught me to not care about society. He taught me to love and respect myself first, then everyone will. And my purity or reputation certainly doesn't lie in the hands of these gossip mongers."

Asif sighed, massaging his forehead, - "Ya Khuda! There is no way of winning an argument with you."

Anahita blinked at him and laughed hysterically. Asif was speechless because of the sudden outburst. He took a moment to speak.

"Why are you laughing?" He sounded annoyed.

Anahita's laughter faded, but she controlled it hard as she spoke, - "You can't win an argument against me and you say you are a barrister." She began guffawing again. Asif processed her speech over her breathless voice and after getting it, he couldn't stop his laugh. Surprisingly, his laugh was louder, which quietened Anahita. She admired him as he whole-heartedly laughed. Knowing she destressed him, a sense of pride warmed her heart

After a few minutes of uninterrupted laughter, Asif stopped and wiped tears from his eyes, - "Uff, you made me rethink my future."

Anahita smiled a little,- "I am happy to help my friend."

Asif's cheery smile dropped and to not make him think too much, she pestered to take him around the streets of Jaipur on a tanga. The car felt too claustrophobic right now. But the open air, the galloping hooves of the horse, the smell of street food, and unfiltered chattering of people, bull-carts, children will definitely feel relaxing.

It was a risk though. As Asif pointed out, if anybody spotted them, it could be scandalous. Yet, Anahita dared to take the risk and coaxed him into this as well.

On the escapade, they stopped to have kulfi in the bazaar. Anahita bargained as five ana cost was too much for one kulfi. Asif felt embarrassed and kept tugging the sleeves of her pink bandini salwar suit. As though anyone bothered, a bazaar could be a very noisy place.

"Arey, he is looting you and you are ready to be robbed?" Anahita reprimanded Asif as he paid the seller the price. He grabbed her hand and pulled her away, muttering to her to stay quiet. It miffed her only till she tasted the mouth-watering Pista kulfi, in this blazing heat the frozen dairy dessert was a treat to the parched throat.

They got home, and now Nausheen was back home, but their father wasn't. Asif ignored that fact and also, a whining sister, as he thanked Anahita.

"Don't embarrass me, Asif. We are friends, right?"

Asif nodded firmly,- "I have heard that you and Nausheen exchange letters in Urdu. From now on, you can add me as well."

Anahita beamed, nodding animatedly.

So, my lovelies? How was the Chapter? Hunt for Anahita's groom is on, I wonder whom her parents will find? And will she marry their choice? What is up with Asif? Maybe there is some connection between his dad being here and the changed behavior. 

What do you think?

Precap:

Asif hesitated, - "What happened?"

Anahita inhaled deeply, swiftly turned, her arms reaching out to him and the next thing, she could feel was the warmth of his body. Asif stiffed for a second, then his muscles relaxed. She sobbed into his chest as she clenched her arms around him. Anahita was desperate for this soothing presence, and the closeness calmed her nerves; clearing her head.

"Anahita, please, relax. It is okay, I am there for you." He gently patted her hair. But she continued to cry; her mouth muffled against him.

OOO, the precap, the first hug. *_* 

Now, I am doubly excited for the next.

Drop your thoughts in the comments, please, don't forget to vote, my lovelies, and Stay Tuned for the next update :*

*Lots of Love* *Hugs and Kisses*

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro