15. hardened heart

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

TW: MENTIONS OF ATTEMPTED RAPE

ANGER. That is was Daemon Targaryen was blinded with when he heard the news that his sweet Daemerys had been attacked in her sleep by a vile cunt.

His shoulders grew tense as Rhaenyra read out the letter that was sent from King's Landing — the entire family were standing around the table with horrified looks etched on their faces.

"Those Green cunts", he spat, earning a sorrowful look from his wife — Rhaenyra covered her mouth in shock. She should have known better than to leave her daughter in the Hightowers care.

"We must leave now", Lucerys butted into the silent air, you could cut the tension with a knife. The young boy was already making his way to the dragon pit, followed by his brother and their betrotheds.

Daemon nodded to Rhaenyra and she rubbed her belly with a nod — they'd return to King's Landing and take back their daughter from the clutches of the people who tried to harm her.

Daemerys stared out of the window of her chambers, despite the occurrence, she couldn't find it in herself to leave — only demanding the body be removed which Criston did himself.

The man hadn't left her side all night after he got rid of the body, sitting in the chair by the fireplace, watching as the once sweet yet timid with hatred girl grew hardened. The tears had stopped and her eyes had changed as she looked out into the sea.

Aemond had been beside himself, ordering every knight to find out where the man had came from and who sent him to hurt his betrothed — Daemerys admired his attempts but she knew it wouldn't matter once her father arrived.

Aemond had tried to console her but thought it best if he gave her space so he sat outside her chambers, back against the stone wall so he could reach her if she called for him — but she didn't, not even once.

A part of him knew why, perhaps she blamed him and thought it his fault but the look she gave him, he knew it wasn't true — she just needed time.

The sun had rose and Daemerys rested her head on the window, eyes closed now. Criston had given her a woollen blanket to cover her freezing body, it wasn't cold anymore but yet she still shook.

The man watched her still, heart aching for his friend. It had been absurd to see her in such light especially because of who she was, but nonetheless he didn't see her like that anymore.

She was just Daemerys now.

The woman gasped and sat up when the doors to her chambers opened — more like were thrown open, the wood hitting the walls beside them as it did so, Daemon Targaryen in all his fury stepping in.

Criston had got out of his seat in a rush, sword out but calmed when he noticed it was only her father. Daemerys stood up as Daemon searched the room until his dark eyes rested on her — they softened when they finally reached her.

Her lips wobbled as a sob escaped her throat and she ran toward the man, needing his comfort more than most — Daemon caught her and rested his chin on her head, holding her so tightly he thought he may break her.

Aemond stood by the door beside Rhaenyra and the children — they stood watching the father and daughter with sorrow glances. Had it really come to this? Aemond thought, Was she really attacked just so she couldn't marry him?

The question was not so simply answered as he wished it to be, especially when Ser Harrold brought his attention, "There was no sign of the man anywhere, my prince, no has anyone heard of him. We cannot seek where he came from".

The one-eyed prince hummed before dismissing him and turned back to his sister, "It seems the man responsible remains unknown, do not fret, I will find out who did this", he spoke codly.

Rhaenyra looked to her brother and nodded silently, something had changed, she just didn't know what. The way he looked at her daughter, it was different than before. He still looked admired by Daemerys, but she dare say Aemond looked at her like he was in love with her.

And for some odd reason, Rhaenyra didn't feel disgusted by that.

Daemerys clutched onto her father, her body shaking as he rubbed her back. "I've got you now, my sweet girl. I will kill anyone who tries to hurt you again. 'Tis all my fault, I should've dragged you home with us".

"Do not b-blame yourself", she hiccuped between words", "Kings Landing has been reasonable since you left until now".

Criston let out a small smile when their eyes met, she meant their friendship, she meant her time with Aemond and the times her and Helaena ventured into the gardens together.

Rhaenyra noticed the look and furrowed her brows, her eyes narrowing, "I do believe we have everything sorted now, Ser Criston, do us the pleasure of leaving our daughters chambers now?", she hadn't meant to be so rude but the way he had treated her and her children over the years — without realising what he had done for Daemerys — was ticking on her last nerve.

She didn't understand why Daemerys was smiling at the man and why he smiled back, it didn't sit right with her. Criston glared back at the princess before nodding reluctantly and leaving the room — failing to notice Daemerys pleading stare for him to stay.

Lucerys was the first to approach her timidly, his hand bunching her skirt tightly in his hands as he leant his head down to rest on her waist. Daemerys sniffled before putting her arm around him.

Jacaerys stood back — not wanting to go near her, he didn't want to hurt her or make her uncomfortable by his touch but Daemerys had none of that when she beaconed him over as well as her mother. The group hugged her tightly — she could never feel uncomfortable by their touch.

It was their touch that made the feeling of the vile man's go away, she felt it seep of her skin the more they hugged her and told her that she'd be okay. "We are taking you back to Dragonstone".

That had shocked her. She was now sitting beside the window again, only feeling a sense of calm when she watched the waves roll forward together, "Why?".

Daemon sat in the chair by the fireplace, Rhaenyra on the other as the children sat on her bed — his head turned to face her as he crossed one leg over the other, hands on the armrests beside him, he was dramatic in everything he did. "Why? What do you mean why?".

Daemerys turned away from her fathers stare, "I cannot leave. I am to wed Aemond soon".

Daemon scoffed at the mention of his nephew, he hadn't failed to notice the young prince sitting outside her chambers just before he burst in — head in his hands. "We can sort that out as well, find you a proper suitor closer to home. Your real home", he tutted as he looked around her chambers.

The chambers were dull, too dull for his liking — Daemerys chambers at Dragonstone were full of plants and vibrant colours, he knew because he decorated it himself, bringing her flowers and vases from all over the country when he travlled — anything to make his little girl happy.

"I do not wish to wed anyone else, I wish to wed Aemond", his daughter grumbled and his head stuck out in shock, eyebrows rose. Rhaenyra clutched his hand with her free one that wasn't rubbing her swollen belly.

She too was surprised and looked to her daughter — trying not to look at the red mark on her cheek that was bruising as well as the small scratches on her hands that she could only presume came from her defending her attacker — the thought making her sick.

She remembered when Daemerys was little, she had the wits about her, fire in her eyes, eyes that reminded her of her late lover, Harwin Strong. But when she looked at present Daemerys, they looked so empty — lifeless.

Rhaenyra turned when she heard her husband scoff, the man shifting in his seat, looking to the ceiling for some sort of strength, "And why the sudden change? You hated him five minutes ago", Daemerys turned to glare at his harsh tone but he merely raised his eyebrows, "Did you not?".

"You don't understand", Daemerys grumbled, Jacaerys looked up at her then from playing with Joffrey on the bed, "Then explain it to us".

The woman looked from her brothers to her parents, "It's been mere days and I feel differently toward him now. I misunderstood him, a classic misconception of how our families have treated each other. At first I proposed the marriage for peace but now I want to marry him. I feel like—".

Daemerys stopped and turned away from them but Rhaenyra urged her, "Feel like what, my sweet girl?".

The woman sniffed and bundled the woollen blanket closer to her, "I feel like I cannot breathe unless I am with him, like there is not enough air in the world to satisfy my lungs until he comes into the room. My heart hurts when I hear whispers about his eye in court. The eye that I took from him".

Rhaenyra's eyes softened as she looked to Daemon who looked bored, his daughter was in love and he couldn't be more annoyed by Aemond at this very moment.

"You love him", her mother spoke, Daemerys shook her head, she wasn't sure, not yet. She only knew what her heart could tell her and right now, her heart was hurting for a different reason.

"I do not wish to disappoint you—".

"You could never", Daemon muttered and rubbed his face. He knew he wouldn't win this battle with his daughter, especially when Baela and Rhaena came strolling in — his perfect little girls.

"Oh, sweet sister", they cried and sat by the window hugging her body. Baela kissed her forehead as Rhaena held the woman's trembling hands. She felt so safe in their presence but she couldn't help but want Aemond and Ser Criston to be here too.

"You will marry Aemond in a months time, we are having dinner tonight, if you are up to it?", Rhaenyra spoke gently, not wanting to push.

"Of course, mother", Daemerys knew she couldn't hide away forever, she needed to find herself again. She was losing herself amongst the greens, she felt no fire, not wit in their presence.

But that had changed now, along with her soft heart. Daemerys knew of only darkness now, her heart had hardened along with her strength — she was her fathers daughter after all, and they both craved the blood of their enemies.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro