Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Sebastian

Two weeks after Sweet Treble's exposé, the issue still did not die down. In fact, the media turned my life into a circus. False articles kept on coming, inviting more trolls and fame whores riding my coattails to gain more followers.

Media camped outside my penthouse and paparazzi followed me around, trying to annoy me by shoving their cameras in front of my face. I could barely open my window without cameras there. I felt like I was under house arrest.

I kept a low profile by staying away from public places—especially the bar. I spent most of my time either in the office working or at home in my personal gym or watching all action packed movies I could find on TV.

I was also forced to take time off hooking up with girls after some women talked shit about me on the internet. That I don't date a girl twice, that I don't answer their texts and calls, or that I don't do relationships and girlfriends and am afraid of commitment.

All the write-ups annoyed me because they were all true.

My parents were still upset with me, too. I disappointed even my grandparents. I could not stand it every time we had our family dinner on Wednesday night and they grilled me with questions about Sweet Treble.

What the hell, as if she's connected to me already.

What helped was that my weirdo (but lovable) sister, Luna, did crazy things that diverted my family's attention. She baked black cookies, cooked pig blood curd, rode public transport while everyone thought she was a vampire, and punched a guy.

But the focal point of their attention was still always me. Grandpa Kristov called me often, monitoring if I was in a safe location. Safe location meaning I was not in the bar or hooking up with a woman.

It became very overwhelming. I was being treated like a child. It just made me more determined to stop all of the nonsense and get my normal life back.

Well, I did what I needed to do.

Sweet Treble made my life miserable. Everyone turned against me, including my family. I hoped that Andrews cutting the potato deal with her father would bring her to the negotiating table with me.

I learned that there were various machinery purchased lately for their family's potato farm under her name. She was passionate about growing more potatoes—as much as growing more followers.

Well, well... you can't have it all, Miss Treble. Let's see how you take the news.

My office door immediately opened. It was Mom.

"Have you seen the stock market today?" she snapped at me, storming inside the room.

"Not yet, why?"

"The Stavrakos stocks went down! My God, Sebastian. This has never happened before. This is all because of Sweet Treble's exposé and the numerous scandals that you've been involved in."

I couldn't make anything right in Mom's eyes anymore. She'd blame me for every mishap that involved our family and company.

"I'm sure it's not entirely my fault..." I reasoned, but she cut me off.

"This is the final straw, I'm done with you! You're out of the board and your position as COO! I'm removing you as heir of this family business."

"What!" I raked my hair in agitation. "You can't do that to me, Mom. Come on."

"You know I can." One of her eyebrows rose. "You're not acting appropriately for your role in this company. You're supposed to be the heir of this business empire, and yet you neglected your duties and responsibilities. You only brought the Stavrakos and Pallis names to shame."

Damn! This was all because of Sweet Treble. Her name sounded like TROUBLE. She really blew it all when I was trying to come clean with Mom and the board members.

She seemed like she had a laid back personality who didn't know how to argue and avoided confrontation. But seeing her explode a bomb, exposing me to the entire world, looking so dignified and calm... fuck! I wanted to wipe that smirk off her face. She was a she-devil behind that angelic face.

"I'll make up for it. I swear."

"Really, huh? Sweet Treble is right. You're a playboy."

"Come on, Mom. You believe her?" I frowned. "That woman is just seeking attention to get more followers."

"I don't care if she is. That's her business. What I care about is you! You gave her a reason to get so upset. You took her interview for granted."

"I had emergencies..."

"Your bullshit emergencies, hooking up with girls! When are you going to learn, Sebastian? We've been through this too many times already. Do you want me to die of a heart attack?" She clasped her chest, her face suddenly looking pale.

"Of course not. Never think of dying. The universe will hear you." I patted her back to ease her anger.

"I can't keep on defending you, Seb, and paying the media to keep your name clean. Sweet Treble busted it all, and I'm afraid she's the type of girl who won't be bribed for anything else. She fights for the truth."

"You don't even need to pay the media to keep their mouths shut. It's their job to talk and make stories about people."

"And you gave them reasons to talk about your foolish behavior! Some of them are not saints, they write trash, exaggerate things to make a person look so bad. Dammit, Seb, you know better than that."

"I know Mom. I'm so sorry."

"Sorry. You always say sorry. That's what you're good at. Grow up for heaven's sake!" She pointed a finger at me, her eyes murderous. "You did enough damage to our family's name already and the company. The board won't tolerate your stupid acts anymore!"

"I know, and I promise you, Mom, I'll do anything to gain your trust in me again. Just give me a chance to prove to you and the board that I'm worthy of my position as COO. I'm a Stavrakos and Pallis. I'm part of our company. It's my life, my legacy, and I want to take over the business empire someday. Please Mom..."

Her chin lifted. "Four months. I give you four months only to rehab your image and prove to us that you're capable of sitting on the board. Or else you're out for good! I don't give a damn that you're my son. Is that clear?"

"Very clear." I nodded. I knew she was very serious this time. "I'll keep my promise and make you proud."

"Let's see." She nodded and stormed out of my office.

Dammit. I'm in big trouble this time.

James entered my office soon after Mom left.

He looked at me with wide eyes and trembling hands. He must have heard my conversation with Mom as the door was open.

"Damn it, James. Don't look at me like that. I won't be off the board and you won't lose your job," I groaned and sank into my high-back chair.

"I'm worried, Sir, because I'm still paying for my house. I want to get married soon and have kids. How can I achieve that goal?"

"Nah. How can you start a family when you don't even have a girlfriend?" I shook my head and watched him scratch his head.

"You're right." He cleared his throat. "I hope you won't lose your place on the board, because I know that some of those people sitting there would be happy."

"Yeah, those fucking ambitious cock heads. They could not wait to kick me out after I missed my board meeting presentation the last time," I grunted and stood up. "What the hell? They can't remove me. I grew up trained to be the CEO of our family's group of companies. All my life!"

"You're right, sir. You have the mindset already to rule your family's business empire."

"I can't allow myself to lose it all because of this damn woman, Sweet Treble!" I paced, walking back and forth in front of my desk while James' head followed me. "I worked so hard for the past few months to create a good impression with the board, and now, when I'm on the right track, she ruined it."

"Well, you cut the Andrews potato deal with her father. You're even now."

I stopped pacing and stood tall.

"Seems not. She did more by ruining my reputation." My forehead creased.

James' phone rang. He excused himself and answered it. His eyes immediately grew big as he looked at me.

"What is it?" I asked.

He hung up the phone then said, "Miss Treble is at the Golden Restaurant right now wanting to see you. She said she'll only wait an hour for you."

Damn. It took her four days. I expected her to storm inside my office within two days of yanking the potato deal from her grasp.

She was indeed unpredictable, and I saw it as a challenge.

I chuckled. "She's demanding me to go and see her now? She's got some nerve to order me around. She should know who's in charge here. If she wants to see me, then she should come to my office," I said proudly and leaned back on my chair. My fingers drummed on my desk.

"Mm...hmm." James looked at the time on his wristwatch. "Fifty-eight minutes left, sir."

Did I really want to let my pride get in the way of fixing my standing with my family? No, I needed to meet with Sweet. But it sure as hell wasn't going to be on her terms.

"Dammit. Okay, I'll see her now." I stood up and fixed my tie, one eyebrow rising wickedly. "But inform the media. Make sure that everyone on this planet knows that I'm meeting with her tonight."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro