48.Tomorrow isn't promised

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

[Cassandra's POV]
It was Tuesday, the second day of the first week of April and schools had already begun to go on vacation for the Easter break.

Cameron was at home as well but downstairs, driving his Benz; the children's own to be precise. Mary had gone to his school with Franklin to collect his report card not too long ago.

Rita had gone to shoot a commercial for a skincare product while my dad was probably in church attending to people and praying for them.

I felt the work of a pastor was really strenuous. Minus the preaching, they had to listen to everyone's problems and pray for them. I can't imagine myself doing that, ever.

Amsey had decided to park out of the house and I saw him leaving a few days ago. Our eyes had met but he had just removed his eyes and ignored me like I didn't even exist.

I was sure I'd get by one way or another.

I missed bumping into him and him calling my name and begging me to forgive him, but it was fine.

I didn't need him in my life. I'd be better off without him. At least, that's what I forced myself to believe.

I was presently in the living room watching the afternoon news on Channels while surfing through the internet.

After two solid weeks, no one had still been able to come out with any information regarding Mr Grumpy's whereabouts.

The police were also trying to track him down and they had given him a week to surrender on his own but that week had gone by slowly without hearing any word from him.

The National Police Division force had instructed he was to be shot on sight if he was caught and still refused to go to the nearest police station with the police officers who had caught him.

The internet was the world's best friend and the news of what Mr Grumpy had done kept circulating like wild fire without any information concerning him being brought to light.

Still, it was glaring that the citizens of Nigeria were doing their best to find him, particularly because of the one million naira prize money attached to solving the mystery of his whereabouts.

People went out in groups with weapons on a daily basis to find out where exactly he could be hiding and I greatly commended their efforts.

How Mr Grumpy had managed to get lucky and well hidden without being found even though the entire country was on his tail remained a big mystery I couldn't quite unravel.

I however remained optimistic and embraced the popular saying, "You can run but can't hide." Sooner or later, he was going to be found and even if he was already dead, his dead body was going to be found whether he liked it or not.

My phone began to ring.

I turned down the volume of the television and picked up the phone which had been laying on the table.

The caller ID showed it was Cameron's doctor who was calling and I answered the call.

"Hello Doctor, Good morning," I said.

"Good morning to you too," He spoke from the other end.

"How may I be of help?" I asked.

"You came to the hospital with Cameron on Saturday and I told you there was something going on in his body that I wasn't quite sure of, so I had to take him to the lab to be examined," The doctor said.

I nodded my head rapidly even though I knew there was no way he could see me.

"Yes, yes. Is something wrong with him? Has his ulcer aggravated?" I asked, feeling really tensed.

"Actually, Miss Cassandra, the reverse is the case," The doctor said.

"Do you mean it has lessened?" I asked, my nerves begin to soften.

"No, better than what you're saying. I'm pleased to inform you that your son has defeated ulcer," The doctor said, triumphantly.

I gasped, "You're lying."

"I'm serious. Your son, Cameron, no longer has ulcer and is now a healthy child once again," The doctor said.

Tears of joy rolled out in torrents from my eyes.

"Oh my goodness, doctor, thank you so much. I really can't believe this, I've heard more than fifty times that ulcer can't go away...."

The doctor interrupted my speech, "That's a wrong stereotype. With the right medication and paying detailed attention to the kind of food an ulcer patient is eating, stomach ulcer can go away completely within a month or two," He explained.

"Wow. That's enlightening. Thank you so much doctor for everything you've done for my son and I," I said.

"You deserve all the thanks. With everything you've been going through in the last few months, you made sure your son always had the right kind of foods to eat, gave him the right medicines at the right time and kept on bringing him for medical check-up. You even had to suspend your career because of him. You're a great mother, Miss Cassandra, and the world needs more women like you," The doctor said.

"Awwn. Thanks a lot, that means so much," I said.

"You're welcome. I'll send you the result of his scan via your email address," The doctor said.

"No problem, I'm looking forward to seeing the results for myself. Thanks again," I said.

"You're always welcome," The doctor said and hung up.

I smiled and muttered a prayer to God, thanking him for keeping my Cameron safe and making him hale and hearty once again.

Someone opened the door and I looked up to see it was Mary who had come in with Cameron by her side.

"Welcome," I said to Mary.

"Thank you ma. Here's Cameron's report card," She said, handing over to me an envelope.

I removed the report card from the envelope and opened it to reveal my son coming second in his class with an average percentage of 96.7.

"Cameron, come here," I said to him.

He looked at me and shook his head, taking a few steps backwards.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I didn't come first," He said, bowing his head.

I grinned and walked over to him, taking him in my arms.

"You've added so much weight," I told him.

"Put me down, I'm a big boy," He said.

"You're my baby," I said, planting a huge kiss on his forehead.

"Are you happy about my result?" He asked.

"Why not? Every mother is wishing they're in my shoes right now. Tell me, how many pupils are in primary one?" I asked.

"That's my class," He said.

"I'm aware. Now, tell me. How many pupils are in your class?" I asked.

He thought for a moment then replied, "We're about 22."

"And you beat 20 people with an incredible percentage. Sweetheart, you deserve a huge plate of ice cream with any topping of your choice, and also a trip to see The great Wall of China. Am I missing something? Oh, of course, we need to shop for new clothes for you," I said, tickling him.

He laughed out loud and struggled to get free from my hold.

"Did I really do that well?" He asked.

"You performed excellently well," I said, placing him on the couch as I also sat down.

"Who do you think came first?" I asked.

"It has to be Emmanuel, he's always in my way," Cameron grumbled.

"Then you have to be in his way next term," I said with a smile.

"It's the first time you're home when my result was brought in," He said.

"I'm sorry, darling. From now on, I'd always be here when you get your results from school," I told him.

"What if I'm already in the football academy?" He asked.

I smiled, "I'm thinking of relocating to The UK so I can always be with my baby," I said.

"Really, mum?" He asked.

"Yes, but you have to work harder to get into that school, I want to also watch you on TV," I told him.

He hugged me tightly.

"You're the best, mum. I love you so much," He said.

"I love you as well," I told him.

We let go of each other and I smiled at him.

"Mum, can I ask you for something?" He asked.

"Sure, Shoot!"

"Can we go and see dad?" He asked.

"Why do you keep asking about your dad? Am I not enough for you?" I retorted.

"I love being with you, but I also want to be with my dad," He said.

I heaved a sigh, "You know dad doesn't live here anymore, right?"

"I know, he left without even telling me, but I'm sure he had his reasons for doing that," He said.

"I don't know about that, but the issue is I don't even know where to find him," I said.

"Why don't you know?" Cameron asked, looking disappointed.

"I don't just know. I know he's somewhere...but not here. I just don't know where that "somewhere" is," I responded.

"So what do we do?" He asked.

My phone began to ring and I took the phone from the table.

"Cameron, it's your father. He's...he's calling," I said.

"Then pick it up, mum. What are you waiting for?" He asked.

I took in a deep breath then answered the call.

"Hello, what is it?" I demanded.

"I'm not feeling too well, and I need to see you," Amsey said from the other end.

His voice sounded really strange but I ignored it and lashed out at him instead.

"Is that any decent way to talk to me? By the way, am I a doctor that you call when you're sick?" I retorted.

"I need you now, Cassandra. Tomorrow may be too late," Amsey said again.

"What's wrong with your voice? And you never call me by my full name," I said.

"I already told you I'm not feeling too well so how can you expect my voice to sound the same? I'm down with a very serious sickness and the only thing you can even think of is why I'm calling you unusually. What's wrong with you?" He asked.

"I never knew being sick made you lose your manners," I said.

"I'm sorry. Please, I just need to see you," He said.

"How will I see you when I don't even know where you are?" I fired back.

"I'll text you the address. If you really love and care about me, you must come," Amsey said.

The line then went dead.

"Hello, hello?" I spoke then gave up on realising he had truly hung up.

"Mum, is dad sick?" Cameron asked.

"Yes, that's what he said," I replied.

"Then we need to go see him," Cameron said.

"I don't know, Cameron. I have a strange feeling about this," I said.

"You said we could go see him. Even if it's not for my sake, can't you do it because he's not feeling too well?" He asked.

I sighed.

Amsey may tease me but he didn't talk harshly to me and I knew what his voice sounded like, I thought silently.

"Mum, please, let's go," Cameron said.

My phone beeped, signalling the arrival of a message.

I checked and saw it was an address sent from Amsey.

"Cameron, can't we go tomorrow?" I asked.

He looked away, sulking.

I heaved a deep sigh, "Listen, we'll send him provisions...."

"Let's go today," Cameron said.

"Fine then. Go and get changed," I said.

A broad smile appeared on his face, "Thanks mum," He said happily and scurried to his bedroom.

I smiled as I watched him leave. I'd do anything to get a smile that big from my son.

About thirty minutes later, Cameron and I left the house in matching jean trousers and a red t-shirt with a pair of black sneakers.

I told Mary we were going to see a sick friend then we went downstairs.

I knocked on my bodyguards' door and after what seemed like ages, Wale opened it up clad in only boxers with no shirt on.

Wale reeked of sweat and cigarette and the entire house stank of alcohol and from where I stood, I could see Michael sprawled on the floor, apparently drunk as well.

"What have you guys done?" I asked, irritated.

"Ma, we..." He belched.

I took some steps backwards and held myself from puking.

"We're just celebrating," Franklin said, showing his ugly face.

"Celebrating what?" I asked.

"Our...the break..." He had hardly completed his statement when he vomited, spilling out contents I'd never get out of my head for as long as I lived.

Thanking God that I had retreated backwards and so, none of the vomit touched me, I hissed and grabbed my son's hand, walking away from their flat and leaving them in their drunken state.

"Mum, what's wrong with them?" Cameron asked.

"They're drunk. That's why you must never take alcohol even if your friends are doing so. Alcohol kills and could make you make a fool of yourself just like Franklin, Wale and Michael. Do you want to be like them?" I asked.

Cameron shook his head vigorously.

"Exactly! So will you take alcohol?" I asked.

"No, mum," He said.

"Good!"

I was going to have to drive by myself because I couldn't risk my life and that of my son's, and thankfully, the glasses of my cars were tinted so no one could see who was in there to avoid crazy fans and paparazzi.

We walked to where the Camry was parked and I opened it up and got into the driver's seat while Cameron sat in the passenger seat.

"Wow, mum! You're going to drive?" Cameron asked, beaming excitedly.

"Yes," I said.

"I don't think I've ever seen you driving," Cameron said.

"Well, you will today. Fasten your seatbelts," I told him.

I put my key in the ignition as Cameron fastened his seatbelts then I drove out of my compound with my son marvelling at the sight of me driving.

I had used Google map to find out how I was going to get to the address Amsey had sent to me and I planned on buying him some provisions when I saw a supermarket.

I started off on the lively road of Lekki then I had to make a turn into a road where there were only few vehicles moving.

I heard the sound of my ringtone and Cameron said it was Amsey who was calling.

I asked him to pick up the call and put the phone on loudspeaker mode which he did.

"Hello, what do you want?" I asked.

"Where are you?"

"I'm on my way," I said and told him my present location.

"Okay, you're on the right track," He said and hung up.

I rolled my eyes and banged my hands on the steering wheel, infuriated at him for cutting the call again, then I made a silent vow to be the one hanging up the next time he placed a call to me.

"That doesn't sound like dad," Cameron said suddenly.

"Yes. He said he's not feeling too well and that's why his voice sounds differently," I told him.

"Oh. Does that really happen?" Cameron asked.

"I lose my voice whenever I have a cough, so it happens," I replied.

"Okay then," Cameron said with a smile.

Soon, the road we were taking was awfully quiet and there were only two cars on the road; my car and an old Mitsubishi Lancer.

I wondered why Amsey moved into this sort of area. He probably wanted some peace and quiet and no disturbance.

"Mum, we've been ahead of that car ever since we left home," Cameron said, looking at the rear-view mirror.

"It's a small car, we definitely have to be ahead. Wait, did you just say this car has been behind us ever since we left home?" I asked, already panicking.

"Yes mum. It was parked outside our compound and once we left, it also left. It's like it's following us," Cameron said.

I stepped on the accelerator of my car and drove faster but the driver of the Mitsubishi Lancer also increased his speed and tagged along.

"This is like a car race in the video games," Cameron commented.

"Darling, you may not understand it, but we're in big trouble," I said, hardly pausing for breath.

"How?"

"The driver of the car behind us is up to no good. Now, you're smart, aren't you?" I asked, panting heavily.

"Yes mum."

"I need you to take my phone and write down the plate number of that car," I said.

"Why?"

"Just do it," I instructed.

It had been a long time since I had driven a car and now, the consequences of my action was taken a toll on me.

The Mitsubishi Lancer was overtaking my car and I couldn't help myself out, but I needed to buy myself more time.

"I'm done, mum," He said.

My phone started ringing with Amsey's name showing on the caller ID again.

I signalled to my son to keep quiet then at my beckon, he picked up the call.

"Cassandra, it seems you now know we're unto you. For your own good, stop your car right now and come down. We're not going to kill you, we just want to take you somewhere else and discuss our bargain with your loved ones," The voice said.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked.

"You'll know soon enough. Now, be a good girl and step out of your car before I shoot your tyres out," The voice came again then the line went dead.

"I'm going to stop the car now. Those people don't know you're here with me, so I need you to stay right in the car and hide under the seat. Once you see me leave with them, dial the emergency number. What's the emergency number?" I asked.

"911," He replied.

"Good. We're at Adewole Kuku street, Lekki Phase 1 if they ask you for your location. Once the police gets here, show them the plate number you've saved to my WPS and tell them it's a Mitsubishi Lancer," I said.

The Mitsubishi Lancer over took my car and obstructed my car from moving any further, forcing it to screech to a halt.

My heart thumped loudly and I felt like peeing in my pants. I'd never felt so scared before and I was more scared for my son.

"Cameron, the glasses are tinted. They don't know I'm with you. Get under the seat and hold my phone closely," I instructed him.

"Mum, who are they and where are they taking you to? I don't want to be here by myself and I don't want you to leave me. You said they're up to no good," Cameron said.

"I'm your mother and I know what's best for you. Listen to what I've said and you'd see me again," I said.

Tears slid down Cameron's face.

"Mum, are you going to come back to me?" He asked.

"I'll never leave you for too long and you know that's true," I said, blinking back tears.

"I love you so much, mum. I don't want to see dad again, I promise never to disturb you again. Let's just go back home, please," Cameron said.

Three men with masks and armed with guns alighted the Mitsubishi Lancer and fear tugged at my heart making it almost impossible for me to pretend that I was strong in the presence of Cameron.

"Mum, they're with guns," Cameron said.

"Hide, darling. Only you can save your mum now," I said.

Tears trickled down his face as he bent and hid under the chair.

"I'll never regret having you as my son. Always remember that I love you and I always have," I said as I stepped out of the car, slamming the door behind me.

I raised my hands to show total surrender and acted like I wasn't scared of them.

"What do you fools want from me?" I asked.

One of the men removed his masks and behold, it was Mr Grumpy giving me the deadliest glare and the most wicked grin I'd ever seen.

"Wow! If you revealing yourself was meant to be dramatic and come as a surprise to me, well, sorry to burst your bubble but I couldn't have expected less from a murderer like you," I said through clenched teeth.

"Watch your tongue if you ever want to see your beloved Amsey again," Mr Grumpy threatened.

"Don't you have him? I'm sure I'll be seeing him soon," I said.

"What made you think we have him?" Mr Grumpy asked.

"You used his number to call me, that's how I know, dummy," I said.

Another of them removed his masks and it was a face I knew but couldn't quite remember.

"We don't have him. He just happened to have trusted me enough to let me into his house and that's how I got his phone, simple," He said.

"And who are you?" I asked.

"I'm his brother, Jordan, and with you in my custody, I'm sure to be getting my full inheritance soon enough," He said and pulled me by the hair.

"Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow!" I screamed in pain then he tied my mouth and forced me into their vehicle which smelt of urine and faeces. Lord only knew the dumpster they got the car out of.

I understood now that I had only been used as a bait to get through to Amsey, just to steal his money from him.

What was Mr Grumpy's gain in all of these? I wondered.

And another question, who was the third man with a mask on his face?

I looked back at my car as the Mitsubishi Lancer drove off.

I was unable to see my son because of the tinted glasses of my car but at least, I knew he was safe.

Amsey may not save me.

I may die and never see my son again.

But I knew that at least, he was safe and I knew he was aware of how much I loved him.

I hadn't even been able to tell Cameron to stop taking his drugs as he no longer had ulcer.

And I wasn't able to reveal to Amsey how much I still loved him.

In that moment, I felt stupid and cursed at my unforgiving heart.

Time waited for no one and I had learnt that tomorrow wasn't promised, but I had always treated the matter light-heartedly.

I should have told Amsey how I felt.

I may never get a chance to tell him again.

I should have lived like everyday was my last.

And even in my grave, I'd always regret not telling Amsey my true feelings.

We all should learn to forgive cause tomorrow is not always there for us to do so.
Anyways, this was a chapter I really liked for a reason I can't quite point out.
Thanks for reading.
Please, vote and comment.
Much love ❤️❤️.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro