Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

(Y/N - 30 years old - present time)

I finish signing every paperwork that were due for today, then settle them into a pile in the corner of my desk before calling San over with the work phone in front of me.

It's been a long day but... it's finally over, thank goodness.

Between making new contracts with some smaller companies and managing the next collection of jewelry that we've come up with, one that is to make the rich spend every single pennies they have under their name to fund my next projects and pay my employees, I haven't had much time for rest until now.

When was my last full night of sleep? Two weeks ago? Or is it more?

I've grown to lose track of time ever since I started working for Hae-in and his men all those years ago. It helped to numb my pain, in a sordid kind of way, but it also took from me a healthy and sane work schedule.

Oh well. It's not like I can change the past, and I'd rather work too much and forget that I still hurt than do nothing and focus only on the emptiness of my soul, which I know follows me everywhere I go, every seconds of the day.

It's gotten so bad that I can't stare at the faded mark on my hand anymore, which I now cover with a soft white glove to keep it safe from any curious eyes.

I do remove it for when I shower, but it should be needless to say that I keep my gaze away from it as much as possible. The reminder of how it became this way makes me nauseous, and I hate feeling this way.

While I wait for San to join me, I look into my filled agenda - one that the dog hybrid always updates at the beginning of the day - to make sure that I completed everything I needed to do for the moment.

Most of the work that was needed from me for the week has been done, thankfully, so what's left from now will be managed by the different departments below me, all the way up to until it's time to present the collection to our shareholders.

They always like to get a taste of what my mind has come up with first, and I honestly suspect that they invest in my company not because of the money they make along the way, but because they get to choose a unique piece of jewelry each for free whenever I release something new.

Needless to say that they fund a lot more than what those little presents cost, so not only do I keep them under my wing with happy smiles on their faces, their acting like proud bastards once I give them permission to show off my work also helps in promoting it amongst the rich for free.

It's no wonder that Hae-in is always so amazed by my skills of persuasion. Where he uses violence and threats, I use pretty little gems to make them kneel at my feet.

My biggest satisfaction out of this, though, is that they have to beg the hybrids that work for me whenever they want more. I know how pleasing it must feel for them to deny the very people who look down on them, and I wouldn't take that away from them for anything in the world.

San finally knocks on the door before entering my office, and he spots the pile of documents before I can even point it out for him.

The gangster-turned-secretary truly surprised me two years ago when he decided to follow me after I left the boss' house in favour of living my own life once the debt forgiven. My freedom was part of the deal and my success meant that I also finally had the funds to accomplish my dream from then on.

That was the first positive I'd ever gotten since I rejected my soulmate bond, and no one was to take it from me.

I worked so hard to make it happen after all, the hotel I was put in charge of was terrible and a real piece of trouble, but it also made my work that much more satisfying when it finally began to rise from the pitiful hole it had sunk root deep into.

I don't know what convinced San that he would be better off with me, but while Hae-in looked a bit disappointed to lose one of his best men, he also didn't deny San's wish since I'd more than earned the loyal man.

In a way, I think San was a farewell gift from him, which is a really weird thing to say, but there's not many other ways to see this. The old man did take a liking to me, so it was a strange thing to see his eyes all watery and sad when it was time to part ways.

I pull myself out of my head to instead stare at the handsome man still standing in front of me, observant as always.

I've given up trying to understand how he can read through me so easily, though that's probably just one of his many talents that were acquired in the mafia world - he did admit to me once that he grew up in this world, although he never really liked it.

I probably was the door out of this world that he always wished for, but even out in the real world, he never stopped following me around like the guard dog that he is.

He really is the most loyal man someone could ever ask for and I feel proud that he's by my side, no matter how cold and quiet he can be at times. I could see that much with the way he took care of me during all those years, something he still does to this day.

"Are you done for today? Should we get going?" he asks simply as he grabs the stack of papers under one arm while I stand from my desk to grab my bag and coat from the hook behind me. He already knows the answer, but for some reason, he always likes to hear it from me.

In his mind, it feels as if saying that I'm done with work myself means that I am left with no choice but to keep my word, seeing as I hate breaking my promises. I guess he learned to make use of my weaknesses, though it's always for my own good.

So yeah, honestly... it does help a little. I'm too stubborn to pick up work under his staring when I'm out of here, though I do have the occasional calls that I can't ignore when there are important things that require my permission or opinion.

He can forgive those, but nothing else makes it home with us, he always makes sure of that.

"I am done for today, San, so yes, we can go. Have you received news of the mansion's renovations yet? How is it going so far? I bet there's a lot to do" I ask him as I join his side, after which we make our way out of my office and onto the nearest elevator to bring the documents to the administration, which is a floor below us.

Once everything in their hands, they'll start dispatching the documents to the needed departments as required before the time limit. They've never failed me once, so I trust that this time will go well just like always.

The rottweiler hums pensively before answering with his smooth voice as the elevator's doors open at the right floor.

"Everything is going well. The new doors and windows were installed earlier this morning and they're working on the inside at the moment. Everything has to be taken out before they can install the new stuff, it's a lot of work so they probably won't be done before a couple of days if not more" he explains as we resume walking side by side.

I make a small sound, then nod at those who smile at me on the way. Seeing hybrids so comfortable as they get to work in a safe and clean environment is something very important to me, and I'm glad to see that they get along well with the humans that I hired as well.

It was a concern of mine when I first started to recruit new employees, but I was honestly surprised with a lot of very great people that are still working for me to this day.

San found most of them back then, both hybrids and humans whom he said I could trust with my life - I never asked where he met them as it seemed obvious to me - and now they help to manage every departments skillfully, which takes a lot of stress off my shoulders.

Two years later and the word is beginning to get out in both newspapers and some smaller news shows that I treat my hybrid and human employees like family.

It felt really strange to see my name used with such reverence and scrutiny at first, but it also feels good to see that my dream is starting to have an impact on the world, though it is still too small to really make a change yet.

We've received more hybrids searching for a job in the lobby in the last month than we've had in the last two years, though. It's both a success and a problem at the moment, although we're trying to make this work to the best of our abilities.

I can't hire all of them before the new branch is ready, which is regretful. It makes me feel guilty that I can't provide for everyone, but saying that is also very foolish of me. I can't possibly offer a job to every single hybrids of Korea, no matter how much I would like to.

I guess part of me feels like this is the least I should do to fulfill the promise I made to Jungkook when we were children. I told him that I would make the world a safe place for him, and while things are getting better nowadays, it's still not enough.

Many hybrids are still refused work opportunities because of who they are, and unless they're backed by strong people, there's nothing they can do to change their fate. It's especially shocking to me that they're made to pay more just to get a roof over their head, which is the bare minimum in this society.

There's a lot of change that must still happen in the world, but I'm working on it, if only by giving them a salary that allows them said roof over their head. I'm trying my best for everyone, failing is not an option anymore when I have so many people under my responsibility.

Once the documents are given to the administration's manager, we make our way back to the elevator to reach the parking lot's floor which is underground. It's accessible for employees only, and the one for visitors is outside.

I regularly receive word by the parking lot's security employees that some entitled and arrogant visitors always make it a point to complain about that fact whenever it rains, but honestly, I think it serves them well.

I wouldn't have to do that if they weren't going to take my employees' spots if granted access, which I know they would do.

I tap my foot on the metal floor as our descent continues, and I glance at San from the corner of my eyes with a nervous frown.

It's ridiculous that I would still feel nervous about asking things from him, as if I still need his permission when we're both free from the cage we once were locked in, but he's been more of a paternal figure to me than my own father so I can't help but listen to him, even when he says no.

"San... I want to visit the mansion before going back home. It's been... too long since I last saw that building, I've forgotten what it looks like and it bothers me more than I'd like to admit. My dreams have gotten all... blurry nowadays, I hate the feeling that comes with it".

The dog hybrid stares at me with his lips pressed into a thin line and his dark gaze on my form, brows furrowing slightly. It's a face that I understand well, so I sigh while leaning against the wall behind me, eyes on the closed doors in front of me.

"I know that you worry about me, but I'll be fine. I know you don't agree with my decision of moving back there but... it's the only house that Jungkook knows of, and though I know it to be a futile hope, I still wish it could bring us back together, the same way that it pulled us apart. The soulbonds registry blocked me out of the group chat when I rejected the bond so I can't use it anymore, moving into that house is all I have left to find them".

His heavy and warm hand falls over my shoulder with a gentle squeeze, no words needed between us, and I relax under his touch, my nerves melting like snow in the rain as I process once more that San is the one who understands more than anyone else how much I've suffered ever since I had to abandon my soulmates.

Being the favourite tool of the mafia leader was terribly hard to live up to, and he can only regret being part of making that happen. His redemption is taking care of me now, and he sincerely hopes that he is doing it well.

"I do worry but... I also know that it means a lot to you so I won't get in your way. I'll drive you there, so please rest in the meantime. You've worked hard today".

Thankful for his never-ending support, I smile at him - my eyes blink happily when I even get one back, a rare thing coming from him - and then we finally enter the parking lot when the elevator comes to a stop.

He unlocks my car as soon as we reach it, though it's not that far when I have a reserved spot near the elevator since my time isn't one I can afford to waste, and I sit in the back while he sits behind the wheel, all of that in comfortable silence.

I immediately close my eyes to rest my mind while he turns on the engine so we can make it out of the parking lot and onto the road, and once sure that I've worn my seatbelt properly, he slowly begins to drive us towards the late sun's glow that caresses the earth from the sky.

"Do you think my soulmates hate me, San?" I eventually find myself asking him as I glance at the outside scenery that moves by as he maneuvers us between other cars to bring me back to my hometown. "What do I do if we meet again and they reject me?".

"I... I'm not sure" is what he replies first, and though not what I'd like to hear, I appreciate his honesty.

"You were close to them, but you were also young, Y/N. While it must have been very painful in the past, they might be able to understand why you did what you did today. I know that you'd rather not tell them but... if you really want them back... you're going to have to explain what happened so that they can understand your motives".

I lean my head against the headrest with a sigh.

To explain my past to them... how much do I need to say? How far back do I go?

Must I absolutely let them know that my parents hated hybrids to the point that they began to abuse me? That they eventually abandoned me in the hands of the mafia and that I was forced to reject the bond to protect them?

Do I tell them that I saved the boss' many businesses on my own just to earn my freedom? That he was so impressed with my skills that he even helped me to start my own? How do I tell them that I'm now living on the money that first took me from them?

It sounds like a movie plot. Who would believe that?

This is all going to give me a headache...

"Please don't worry about things that are uncertain at the moment" he begins softly at my silence, eyes glancing at me through the rear-view mirror.

"Find them first, and then figure out what to do from there to apologize. If they are ready to listen to you, then you can explain what you went through without fear. If their heart is in the right place, they'll understand and forgive you".

Is it really that simple? He makes it sound so easy when really... it's rather the opposite.

I wish so badly that I could use some special means to find them without having to search every corners of the world on my own, but I promised myself when I left Hae-in's darkness that I would never enter the illegal world, no matter how tempting it may be.

Money can buy a lot of things, but once my dignity is tainted with wrongdoings, there is no going back anymore. Having them found by professionals very much feels like I would put a bounty on their heads by hunters, and I don't like that. Maybe I've seen and heard too much from Hae-in and his men.

What's more... what if my soulmates don't want me to find them? What if they got over me and don't want me back? It would only hurt me more to know where to find them, all while knowing that I can't be part of their life anymore.

I drag a hand down my face before leaning against the cold and hard window, every bumps to my skull a distraction of the pain that spreads like wildfire in my chest. It's so hard to figure out what's the right thing to do here.

All I know is that I want to see them so bad, and I don't know if it'll ever happen.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro