Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Sunshine, you have to wake up, baby".

"She's not moving at all, she must have been exhausted because of all that happened this morning".

"The employees at BeyondGold do say that she's always doing something, whether it's helping people or going around meeting with her shareholders and investors, it makes me wonder if she ever rests at all".

"You know what they say, work until you forget your pain. She must have made that into a habit. Hopefully she'll allow herself to slow down a bit from now on. So what do we do now? We can't eat without her, that wouldn't feel right".

"I'll take care of her, let's just sit at the table and tempt her nose with food, that should do it".

"Do we have to, though? I'm quite comfortable right now... she's so cuddly when she's asleep. I don't want to let go just yet".

"... should we eat in the living room, then?".

"But I want to hold her too!".

"Don't shout, Jungkook, you'll wake her up!".

"Isn't that what we want?".

It's a chaos of bickering that first pulls me from the deep sleep I had fallen into, and then the soft caress of fingers in my hair gets my attention, that and the flutter of warm feathers against my skin.

It's a comfort like no other, much better than waking up in an empty bed, that greets my senses upon waking up from my midday nap, and with it comes the reminder of this morning, of Hoseok's messages, of my father's visit, Namjoon's hugs in the car, and then everything else.

Jungkook's body slam, Jimin and Taehyung's sandwich hug, Yoongi's cuteness, the house, getting overwhelmed and scared, Seokjin's safe embrace, the teasing. It's like seeing a movie happening in fast forward in my head, headache inducing, but still reassuring, because it means everything was real.

Waking up to this chaotic ambiance in fact adds to the realness of this moment, and it pulls a small smile from me as I cuddle deeper into the strong man who still holds me closely within his arms and wings.

"You guys are so loud" I utter tiredly, hands raising to my face to rub my eyes until it borderlines on painful. Anything to resist dozing off again, I can't spend our first day of reunion sleeping during the entirety of it.

"Guys, you woke her up!".

"Again, isn't that what we wanted?".

I sigh in contentment before turning my gaze to their group, and Jimin is first to smile as he leans closer to cup my face between his hands to kiss my nose like he knows I like, which earns him a pleased hum.

"There's my little sunshine. Did you sleep well? I've never slept in a feather hug like this, but it looks very comforting. What was it like?" he asks sweetly, wanting nothing more than to have me in his arms himself, he hopes it doesn't take too long before it happens.

"Like heaven" I answer dreamily, much to Seokjin's pleasure, and a happy thrum shakes through his feathers so softly that it makes me giggle at the ticklish feeling. "So comfy and warm, I could spend my life like this".

"I can offer heavenly cuddles too" Jungkook huffs with a pout from where he stands behind everyone else, his ears standing tall with the confidence of a... well, panther. "I'm warm too, and comfy, and soft".

I chuckle at that, as everyone else does, though Seokjin also can't resist but to hold me closer, as if scared that our soulmate would steal me from him. And knowing Jungkook... he might as well try, seeing as he seems pretty desperate.

"Koo's trying to earn himself some cuddles from our princess, how cute".

"It won't be that cute when he ends up stealing her to himself before locking his bedroom's door".

"It'll still be cute, but also mildly infuriating. If he's going to cuddle her in bed, I want in".

"Me too".

I'm about to speak up before this degenerates into something bigger than I can handle, but Namjoon claps his hands to bring everyone's attention to him, and beams proudly when he gets seven soulmates' eyes on him.

"Let's save the cuddles - and who will get to cuddle - for later, alright? We have food to eat for now. It'll get cold quickly if we don't eat soon, and since so many of us haven't eaten much today, it's vital that we all have at least one meal in our stomach before dinner".

Food, now that's a word that pulls at my hunger like a puppeteer moves a doll, a magic word that fully wakes me up from my soft sleepiness, and Seokjin sighs before helping me into a seated position, and then up on my feet after putting the blanked aside.

There's a regretful value to his every gestures as the heat from his body too quickly dissipates to leave me feeling oddly naked, and I need to fight against the urge to melt back within his embrace like a toddler when a cold shiver courses throughout my body.

I'd forgotten how easy it is to melt in a soulmate's embrace like this, and I fear that not much would happen anymore if I gave up to the temptation of more hugs with no one to pull us apart, I'd die of starvation or something similar, most likely.

He stands up behind me, his full height once more throwing me off as I get reminded of how big they all are, I'm still not used to that. Jungkook wasn't exactly small when we were younger, but we had a similar shape. Now... that couldn't be any further from the truth.

"Let's eat, our mates have worked hard on cooking up something good while you were sleeping".

I search for my phone in my pockets until I finally find it, and seeing the time has my eyes widening. Have I truly been asleep for over one hour?

Jimin doesn't let me think more about that when he snakes an arm around my waist, and he smiles prettily before guiding me to the table besides the kitchen.

"I'm sure everyone would fight to have you sit on one of us for this meal, but I figured you might want a chair of your own for now. Of course, I'd be more than happy to have you with me if you'd prefer" he muses as we reach the circle of chairs where I count eight of them. It's a bit cramped, but it works.

With a finger tapping on my chin in contemplation, I look into his hopeful eyes, wondering what would be the right thing to do here. The temptation of sitting on one of my soulmates certainly is there, but will I never sit on my own ever again with them around?

It's obvious to me that I would choose one of them instead of those soft-looking chairs, but I think it will be wise to keep that for another time. I just woke up and it would be far too easy for me to doze off again.

"I'll sit on my own chair, Jimin, but I'll remember that offer for a next time" I answer, then sit down on the nearest chair before any of them complain, and complain they do when a few grumbles make it to my ears.

More specifically, those grumbles all come from Jungkook, desperate kitten looking for cuddles is his entire personality right now, and he doesn't give up easily when I find him hurrying over to sit right next to me, to my right, before someone else takes his spot.

He then pulls my chair in one swift movement so that we become glued to each other, hip against hip, and lets his tail wrap around me to make sure I don't try anything, eyes glancing at me as he does.

There's a warning in those dark orbs, a silent order that demands I do not attempt anything that would take me away from him, and I can somehow tell that the Jungkook of today would probably kidnap me himself if left with no other choice.

He was always the cute one when we were younger, always so adorable, but as we grew older, I could also see that hidden possessiveness come out very briefly at times. It seems he's learned to not hide it anymore, because no one seems surprised by his behaviour.

"You'll have to get used to this, my pretty mate" he pinches my cheek softly as he says that, "because I won't stop crowding your space until we've caught up on all the physical touch that we couldn't have during the last twelve years".

I grin before pinching one of his cheeks myself.

"Who said that I wanted otherwise, my handsome panther?" I muse back, much to his satisfaction, it has his eyes softening with relief before his arm relaxes around me. To think that he thought I'd ever want him to release me, when I crave this contact just as much as he does.

"That's good then, very good".

With that matter settled, we observe as the others take a random spot around the table while Namjoon and Hoseok finish setting everything up so that they can bring over the steaming bowls resting on the kitchen counter.

I smile at Taehyung when he subtly moves his chair to the space that has appeared thanks to Jungkook's moving me, and Namjoon, all smiles as he takes in the filled table, hands him a bowl that is then carefully lowered in front of me, which reveals the menu for today's lunch - homemade chicken soup.

I lean over to breathe it in with closed eyes, finding in that smell something familiar and calming. Isn't that the soup Jimin used to make in the past, whenever we'd gather at Jungkook's house when his parents weren't there? It was my favourite, food for the soul, I'd call it.

It shouldn't be surprising that this is what they decided to make on the day of our reunion, but it's still makes me a bit emotional.

"It smells good" I murmur before staring up at Jimin from across my seat, where I find his eyes already taking me in with relief, like he was anxious about what I would think, as if I would ever find anything negative to say about anything that they do.

After what I made them all go through, they can do anything they want to me and I shall take it. I owe them that much.

"I thought there would be no better meal to welcome you back into the bond" he explains softly, and I blink the wetness in my eyes away as I nod, lump swallowed thickly before I accept the spoon that Taehyung offers me next.

"Have a taste, bunny. We tried to use as much of the same ingredients as possible, but it might be a bit different since we didn't have as much time to prepare, we were missing a few of them".

With everyone's eyes on me, I dip the spoon into the soup before bringing it to my mouth, and I let the hot liquid sit on my tongue for a moment. Both to enjoy the taste, and because my throat has squeezed too much to allow through a single gulp of food. It tastes just like I remember.

"I think she likes it" Jungkook says softly, his finger gentle as it catches the tear that rolls down my cheek.

"I think so too, and that makes me very happy" Jimin echoes, cheek resting over his hand as he gazes at me with a softness that overflows from his heart. This sight brings back its load of memories, good ones that I'd forgotten with time, and I feel my soul physically crack open as they flood back in.

Our many group dates by the river that filled with laughter, their surprise visits at the end of a long day of work and their hugs as they'd praise me for working so hard, moments when they'd somehow appear by my side just when I suddenly felt like I needed them and their love to keep breathing.

Some are simple moments that made me feel at home, while others were filled with an intense love that gave me the necessary strength to keep going. Memories that I once held dearly, but ended up forgotten because they eventually became too painful for my heartbreak.

I force myself to swallow the soup when I feel a wave of strong emotions rush to the surface, and I hide my face behind a hand just as my shoulders begin to shake under the weight of my sobs, unable to keep them in any longer.

How could I forget all of those beautiful memories? Even if they hurt, I should've kept them close, I should've held on to them with all of my might.

Jungkook sighs before guiding my tear-stained face against his shoulder, and just as it should've been from the very beginning, he fits an arm under my knees before pulling me over his lap where he can finally hold and comfort me the way he would have done when we were young, if he'd been given a chance.

"There, there, you're alright, we're here. Who's a big baby now, hm? To think that you'd start to cry because of a soup, I guess we outdid ourselves this time".

My laugh merges into more tears, and he kisses my head while shushing me gently. Jungkook... he's grown so much, hasn't he? By far, I think he was the hardest to imagine as a strong and independent adult when I was still stuck working for Hae-in.

When we were young and still learning how to love each other, I prided myself in being strong for him because it felt like that's what he needed from me, and so I never gave him the opportunity to take care of me like this.

I never allowed myself to cry in front of him, never allowed myself to break down even when I was barely holding onto the last of my sanity, but if I had, would he have hugged me this way back then too?

How much different would my life be today if I had simply told him everything?

Someone puts a glass of water nearby, and Taehyung moves closer so he can caress my hair tenderly, strands pushed away from my eyes when he finds them sticking onto my wet cheeks. He smiles when I glance at him tearfully, wobbling chin out of sight.

"I think it's the first time I get to see you in such a fragile state, bunny" he muses like it's something to be celebrated. "You used to act so strong, never letting us take care of you like we all wanted to do, but it feels like you're finally allowing yourself to feel vulnerable with us, and that means a lot".

I sniffle as he speaks, I don't think I can share that positivism right now even though I know that he's right. I went from never crying in front of them, to suddenly doing only that after meeting first Seokjin and Hoseok, and then reuniting with my first soulmates.

"It's just because today's high in emotions, that's all" I try to lower his expectations with a weak voice that he shakes off with another smile of his, though his eyes look firmer, stripped tiger tail snapping through the air behind him.

"Are you saying that you'll go back to being the constantly happy and cheerful Y/N after this? Sorry to break it to you, but I don't think so, no. You might not want to admit it, but something feels different now. Rising walls to hide your emotions, that's a thing from the past, you won't be able to hide again".

Something within me flares to life, with need to deny that claim, but Jungkook rubs my back before shushing softly, knowing probably by my scent the effect that Taehyung's words are having on me. I would probably bristle if I had fur, like a cat, and they can all see it.

"Let's not push too much, Tae" Jimin says after swallowing a spoonful of the soup. "You know how she is, don't you? She's stubborn. Ask her to do one thing, and she'll do the opposite just to maintain her dignity".

Namjoon chuckles at that, knowing deep down that Jimin is absolutely right. I brashly wipe my face with my sleeve before turning towards the table, now stuck on Jungkook's lap since he won't let go of me anymore. I'm sure he meant to do this on the first occasion.

"My dignity has nothing to do here... I just don't like crying" I mumble as I pull my bowl of soup closer, then my spoon. Jungkook leans against my back to reach his own bowl with his free hand, and we get a sip each under the others' amused staring.

"There's nothing wrong with crying when it's needed, you don't need to feel ashamed when it happens" Yoongi states nonetheless with a serious look on his face, and when Hoseok, Taehyung and Seokjin nod to confirm the statement, I let out a tired exhale.

"And we shall change the subject before it becomes a fight" Namjoon saves the lunch's fate before things get out of hand - thank goodness for that - then turns his gaze to our new soulmates with a smile. "Hoseok, Seokjin, you're new at her company, right? What do you guys do over there?".

If it was possible, I would've kissed his cheeks a hundred times.

The eagle is in the middle of chewing on a piece of chicken, so Hoseok answers first, eyes bright and alive as he gets to talk about his first day at work while I listen in silence, feeling slightly shy whenever he throws in some compliments my way while I eat my portion of the soup.

The meal continues like that from there, with Seokjin talking about how excited he is to finally get to do what he's good at doing, that he can't wait to settle into a routine at the office with his colleagues, whom he needed to mention are very kind and respectful.

Jungkook then continues with some questions about BeyondGold, and my mood finds a new stability as I get to talk about the pupil of my eye. I love talking about what the company accomplishes for hybrids and humans alike, and I especially love the look of pride as they listen to my excitement.

It might have been only two years since I first started my own business, but I have years upon years of hard work and unique experiences hiding behind me, and despite the initial hesitation about asking me about that part of my life, they eventually let curiosity win over.

"Wow, so you really ran a club with some of the most dangerous people in Korea?" Yoongi asks, both surprised and shocked when I first mention it. I chuckle and nod, loving their reactions as I get to tell them about some crazy stories.

It could've been taken badly, but instead, they seem to take that as an opportunity to learn more about the things that filled my days after we separated, and their eyes are wide open as they watch me move my hands around while I speak.

"I did. The most dangerous people of Korea surprisingly know how to be kind when they feel like it, and they tip well. I was trained as a barista for a couple of months, and when I got a better grasp of the menu, I started changing and adding stuff to it. Next thing you knew, celebrities were stopping by to enjoy the ambiance and alcohol, completely unaware that they were surrounded by criminals. I saw some really popular actors and singers there".

"Damn. So you've met more of them than I have, and I feel like I see quite a lot of them" Jungkook blurts out, which has me wondering next - what does he do for a living?

"Do you still work at your father's firm, Jungkook?" I ask while craning my neck to look at him, since I am and will be sitting on him for quite a while still, the refills of soup eaten with good appetite until there was nothing left.

"Right, you wouldn't know, would you? I worked there for a couple of years, but then I got recruited by WeTrust Firm, and I decided to give it a shot. I've been there since that day, and now I'm the top lawyer's assistant. My desk and his desk? Separated by a simple glass wall".

I whistle, impressed, and he preens proudly.

"Our Kookie has worked very hard to make it there and we're so proud of him" Jimin muses lovingly, something that warms my heart. I love that for them, and I will take to my grave the fact that my deal with Hae-in might have had a say in that sudden job upgrade.

Jungkook deserved it and worked hard on his own merit, nothing will ever change that.

"I believe you. He was always a quick learner, and I knew that he could easily do any job he wanted. What about everyone else? What do you do for a living now?" I ask, curious to know more about the men who grew into such impressive people during the time we spent apart.

"Well" Jimin begins, "I don't do anything special, really. I manage calls and appointments for a private clinic nearby. I get regular vacations, plenty of sick days, and my retirement is taken care of, so I'm not complaining".

"As for me" Taehyung continues, "I design book covers. It's a new job, but it's a lot of fun, and it's also very satisfying. I'm sure you've seen a couple of my designs somewhere out there, a few of them were the most sold books for a while".

"That's very impressive, guys" I coo, meaning every words I said. It makes me so happy that they could find a place of their own in the world, they all look so proud of their work and I would've wished for nothing more.

At Namjoon's silence, I turn my gaze towards him, and my smile dims softly when I find him already looking at me with a strange glow in his dragon eyes. Why does it look like he's in pain?

Jungkook rests his chin over my shoulder as the atmosphere changes, and he speaks quietly, lips moving right by my ear after a soft kiss to ease my nerves.

"Hyung went back to school to become a police officer after you disappeared. He thought it would be the best way to find you, that he'd gain the resources and means necessary to achieve that goal, so he joined the Missing Persons Unit upon graduating".

I stop breathing as I hear what's both the most heart-breaking and heart-warming story of my miserable life. To learn that Namjoon changed the entire course of his future so he could gain a chance to find me is the last thing I'd expected, but it explains the body, the muscles, the brain.

Earlier in the car, he didn't just say what he did to make me happy, he truly meant it.

I don't even try to fight against the tears this time, and Jungkook releases me without any resistance so I can walk around the table where I fall into Namjoon's arms for a tight hug that he more than deserves.

These men... I love them so much, nothing has ever been truer than that.

"Thank you, Namjoon" I murmur for him to hear only, and he carefully pushes his chair back so I can stand between his legs before hugging me back with his face pressed into my neck, just until he can stare at me without all those tears in his eyes.

"I wish I'd done more to find you. If only I'd thought about looking into the underground network, if I'd only tried to contact the known mafia personalities, if only I'd looked deeper, if I'd widened my range of search-"

I stop him with a gentle, very soft kiss to his lips, and Namjoon just stares at me, stunned into silence. Resting my forehead against his, just like he did to comfort me in the car, I cup his cheeks so that my palms cover his warm skin fully.

"Don't talk like that. You did your best despite everything, Namjoon. You pushed aside your ideal job and all your life goals just for the sake of finding me, that's more than I could've asked from anyone and I'll eternally be grateful to you".

"You can't... you can't just kiss me and then say something like that, honey, my precious girl. You're on a mission to make a man cry, and here I was hoping to remain strong until the end of the day" he complains softly as his tears fall over my fingers like rain droplets.

"Oh, so my soulmates are happy to see me cry in front of them, but beware, they cannot be seen crying in front of me, is that it?" I tease him with a light grin that he'd kiss right off my face if only we were alone. God, he really wants to.

"Not quite. That's only half the truth" he murmurs back, breath fanning against my lips as he speaks.

The scene is far from erotic, and yet, for our soulmates who watch from their seats around the table, it feels like it. Like they're watching a private moment of affection and longing between two souls when they shouldn't even be in the room to begin with, but they can't look away, they don't want to.

"We have a crowd staring right now, maybe we should continue this another time" I whisper with a quiet chuckle that he feels more than he hears, and he eyes the others with interest, loving that they're here to assist to the very thing that's making his heart boil right now.

"Yeah? You feeling shy, honey?" he asks, teary eyes creasing when I melt into him, a light blush slowly covering my cheeks.

"A little" I admit, which is enough to make everyone swoon with adoration. What a precious thing to witness.

Namjoon kisses my cheek, then moves his hands to my hips, right above his knees, and without a word of warning, proceeds to turn me around before hopping me onto his thighs. He hums in contentment as he pulls me against his built chest.

Very briefly does it cross my mind that I might be given a taste of every laps in this room in a single day, but the idea flees my mind just as fast as it appeared when I hear and feel his voice echo into the depths of my soul as he speaks up.

"You talked about the bar earlier, what happened next? What other jobs did you do?".

Smooth, always count on him to change a subject like it's his second nature.

"Well, next there was a farm. Hae-in sent me to one of his farms in Gyeongju, where I had to maximize profit with only rice crops at my disposal. It was one heck of an adventure, but it was also very interesting".

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro