Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

❖ ❖ ❖

'Where have you been?' Jinsei rose from a bench just as Isla turned a corner of the hedge maze leading into Rajini Chei's estate.

Has he been waiting there all day? The last of the evening eight-bells had just been struck, the sky stretched dark already for an hour. 'Visiting an old acquaintance.'

His eyes trailed to the bundled cloak in her hands. 'Tamma-uchi did not come to her training again this morning.'

Ifrit's breath, that child. 'She probably feels awkward about meeting you.'

'Truly? So what must I do?'

'I don't know, Jin-assa ... just act normal around her. Be your impervious self.'

He followed her down the shadowed path, gaslight posts hissing along alcoves cut into the seamless wall of yew surrounding them. 'I did not see her during the trial yesterday, either.'

'She's supposed to avoid being within the Maha Rama's presence.' Isla paused before a split in the maze.

Jinsei motioned to their right. 'Have you given thought on my offer?'

Isla took the turn. 'I'm afraid I haven't had the time nor energy to think upon anything but the trial, recently.'

'I understand.'

'With the execution tomorrow ... it is best Tam Mai was not present. The posterior ring should be quiet; most visitors will undoubtedly be at the weeping fig. I was thinking perhaps you could take her on that ride to the city.'

'I would be most happy to, but did you not think she would see this as another decision made on her behalf?'

'If her decision is to rather watch a woman hang from a tree, then she needs Eshe's help in more ways than we thought. Besides—nobody's deciding anything. I only thought you could ask her. If it came from you ...'

He sighed through a smile. 'I shall ask her tonight.'

That settles it.

They cleared a stretch of the yew maze, and out of the darkness before them came the silhouette of Rajini Chei's estate, slowly fading into view. Lights wavered through a countless scatter of windows, smoke drifted across the pale moon overhead. The soldiers standing guard let them through without a word, already accustomed to Isla's comings and goings; but the servant who opened the door for them pulled her to a stop.

'The rajini requests your presence in the tea room.'

Jinsei looked at Isla and waited, playing with the paper fan currently folded in his hands.

'You know where Tam Mai's chambers are.'

He nodded after a moment's hesitation. 'Very well. Good night.'

Isla followed the servant into the tea room; a small chamber built into one corner of the estate. Long, slim windows filtered moonlight over a table, paper lanterns hung low from the deck wood ceiling. Her grandmother sat, glowing in the warmth of the room, her face towards the window. A teapot steamed upon its ceramic candle holder, two cups already lain out upon the table.

The servant bowed out of the room, sliding the door shut. Isla braced herself and knelt across the rajini.

'You've been busy.' She did not turn when she spoke.

Isla reached across the table and poured the drinks for them. 'If you mean the trial, yesterday was the last day. I'm sorry you could not attend.'

'Oh, I attended.' Finally she looked at Isla, revealing eyes glazed blue and clouded.

Isla jumped in her seat, though the shock was only momentary. 'That's a bad habit, you know. People already know you're spying on them through Huu. You might as well be lurking in the bushes.'

'People know nothing. They can only suspect, and that serves me well enough.' She blinked, and her eyes returned to their usual grey. 'But we are here not to speak of my bad habits.'

Great, another lecture. Isla sipped on her tea, spluttering over the boiling hot water.

'Dhvani's silver-servant has been found dead.' Rajini Chei continued over Isla's choking and gasping, 'The Maha Rama was informed six minutes ago. I tried to summon you from your chambers, where Tam Mai insisted you would be ... well, now I, too, find myself insisting to my own servants that you were there the whole day.'

'I only—'

'Give me that.' She nodded at the bundle in Isla's arms.

Isla passed her the cloak. 'It's fine. Nobody saw me. I knew the guards' schedules, their routes. The dungeons are made to keep people from getting out, but they've done little to prevent things from getting in.'

'You have made things only worse. His mysterious agent could have been brushed aside as an inconsequential provocateur; now he is a murderer and his existence not only a threat, but confirmed.'

'Good. Then they will blame Arya's death on Maharaj Kiaan's non-existent silver-servant.'

'This, and your latest gift for Maharaj Khaisan—'

I was wondering when she would bring that up. 'Which pleased him, I might add.'

'Whatever it is you are up to, it will do you good to heed the advice of those who have been longer in the game.'

Namely yours. 'Which is?'

'The first is simply that I can offer no substantial advice unless I know what it is you are planning.'

Usurping the king-in-waiting? The thought of saying it aloud brought Isla to laughter.

Rajini Chei glared at her beneath arched brows. 'You may find me old and incompetent; unblooded and frail. But of all the Maha Rama's rajinis, it is only I left standing. Of all the Maha Rama's half-blooded theurgists, it is only my grandchildren left breathing. None of this is by chance.'

'It isn't your competence that makes me laugh, merely the thought of sharing my outrageous plans with you.'

'You trust your maharaj over your own grandmother.'

'Only because I know you'll disapprove.'

'My approval is the last thing either of us should be weighing, you ungrateful child! Your actions here jeopardise not only yourself, not only your sister. One wrong move and you might bring under scrutiny myself and my entire House. My soldiers, my servants—their lives shall be all forfeit should the Maha Rama suspect treachery from among my people!'

She had a point, Isla knew already. 'What I wish to do is no different from what any raj or rich merchant already does out in the open. It isn't a secret Maharaj Persi has always supported Maharaj Khaisan's claim, even long before his son rose to first rank; nor is it secret that House Dyaspar long to see Kiet on the throne instead.'

Rajini Chei stared at her for a long while. 'I'm pleased to know you've at least spent some time studying the extended Ametjas dynasty and where their loyalties lie. Such knowledge might serve you well. Their voice, however, carries far more weight than yours.'

'Than mine alone? Of course. But who's to say my voice does not also reflect those of the people? Who is to say the whims of the Maha Rama himself might not be persuaded? After all, a Maha Rama's favour has time and again overruled maternal precedence in the matter of succession.'

'I see.' Rajini Chei's jaw clenched so hard Isla could see the tension in her veins. 'It may not be treason, but still you are playing a dangerous game.'

'I am in a dangerous game whether I like it or not. At least this way, I have some degree of control over it.'

❖ ❖ ❖

'Taeichi-seung came to see me this afternoon.' It was Tam Mai, hovering by the door.

Isla put down her quill and waved her sister inside. 'He told me you've been skipping lessons.'

'I haven't been feeling well.'

'Shall I call for a tabeeb?'

Tam Mai sucked her teeth at the insincerity in Isla's voice. 'He asked if I wanted to go to the posterior ring markets with him tomorrow.'

'The tabeeb?'

'Taeichi-seung, of course!' Tam Mai growled, clearly unimpressed. 'I was wondering if I could go.'

Isla turned from her desk, studied her sister in the gloom of candlelight. 'Of course you can, if you promise not to wander off. But ... you don't look too thrilled.'

Finally she stepped into the chamber. 'I'm a bit nervous, to be honest. I want to go, but ... it's been so long since I've been out in the city ... I ... I don't even remember it.'

'It'll be fine.' Isla squeezed her sister's hand. 'If things get too much for you, just remember Eshe's instructions. Besides, Taeichi-seung will be there. He'll take you home whenever you ask.'

'Won't you come with us?'

'There's some business I need to finish up here.'

'Reports to write?' Tam Mai peered over her shoulder at the parchment on Isla's desk.

'No. This is just a letter for Noi and the Shapors. See—I was telling them about how much better you've gotten, all the lessons you've been taking. Eppi will be so jealous once she hears you're training in the Refined Arts.'

Tam Mai giggled. 'Can I write something, too?'

'Of course.' Isla stretched out of her seat, Tam Mai promptly taking her place.

Do all artists have such fine penmanship? Isla envied the strokes coming out of the same quill. Her own writing was rushed, uneven, while her sister took her time and made it look like poetry.

She wrote about Tsunai; Yui and the general, the palace and the earthquakes. 'You have a way with words, Tamma. You'd make a great story-teller, if you ever get tired of your paints.'

Tam Mai paused to think, chewing on the tip of the feather.

The finest feather from the largest capradon in all the Eastern Isles. Isla sniffed at her father's words. 'You probably got it from Father.'

'Did he tell many tales?' Tam Mai looked up at her, voice small. 'I ... I don't remember much about him, either.'

'He did. Though these past few years, I've started to wonder if they were tales at all.'

'I wish ...'

She did not finish her sentence, nor did she need to. Isla knew exactly what she wished. 'Finish your letter. We'll have it sent in the morning.'

END CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN 

this chapter is dedicated to imapop13 

Video: Ambience Scene
Image: Original artists unknown

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro