25 | Avoiding Destiny

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It had been several weeks since Ryder's birthday, and the pesky seventeen year old was still avoiding any discussion related to their current predicament.

It as almost as if it never happened at all. At least not to the people around them. Being kept tight-lipped and almost forgotten about.

Almost.

Things were starting to become strained between them, however.

Alisa would never admit it but whenever he wasn't around, she felt half of herself trying to tug her being to him. She knew it was mostly her wolf, who spoke little but always in small ways when it was necessary.

In her desperate attempt to avoid him once again, she'd found herself in the library, nose deep in the books once more.

If she couldn't solve their little problem, she would just have to solve the other one that was more pressing, concerning the very prophecy that was everybody's warning.

A looming war was much easier to focus on.

"You know hiding in here isn't the greatest plan; I always know you come here. You can't just avoid me. It has been weeks, Ali."

The nickname tugged at her heart once again and the smell engulfed her senses. The deep sounding of his voice lulled her into a sense of safety.

Part of her was desperate to fight it at all costs, however.

"I won't stop avoiding destiny until it goes away all together," she quipped back after a silent moment as she took a breath to steady her pounding heart.

"That isn't going to do either of us any good. I can't sleep, I can't eat... We have to cement the bond," Ryder insisted with urgency, his eyes betraying his soul and the desperation inside.

The bond was clearly troubling him in more ways than her.

His normally bright eyes were dull and the bags under his eyes were black, indicating he really wasn't sleeping quite right anymore.

Skin that used to be tan seemed rather pale and blotchy like little rashes across his arms and neck.

Absentmindedly, Ryder began scratching his sores and some began to bleed but he hardly noticed nor cared at all.

There were more important things to him.

"My wolf is going crazy and I bet yours is too," he added, quickly as he licked his dry chapped lips.

This was the closest they had been in weeks and they were still six inches apart. The closeness seemed to only improve and worsen things for them.

"I don't know why, I'm not having any issues," Alisa commented with firm disagreement as she bit down softly on her bottom lip with hope that her lie was covered smoothly.

Lately, she had been feeling slight discomfort when being apart from the young man but she was determined to fight the mate bond at all costs.

A bond that used to be nonexistent for her.

Something the witches would laugh at because of how weak it made its' people. A fact they knew but also dismissed because of how silly it all seemed to the ones who lacked the most basic of emotions.

Besides, to her, there just wasn't any time for mating while there was a war brewing just outside of the pack territory lines.

The danger seemed incredibly real and far more pressing than trivial things such as love itself.

"That's because you're new to being a wolf,"
Ryder started but faltered, sighing midway and decided on using a different tactic.

The young wolf came to sit next to her on the old wooden bench that was made out of pine wood. These wood pieces came from the very forest trees that surrounded Snake's Canyon.

"We can't go on much longer avoiding the bond all together, you know. You will have to come to terms with it one day."

As he said it, he knew it still wouldn't work for her.

Love had always seemed so foreign to the newcomer. She was part of the pack but also it seemed like she wasn't at times.

"Yes but that day just isn't today," she finally replied once more, dismissing his queries and doubts all together.

Ryder shook his head and began to try again, "How are you coping? I am going a little stir crazy," he huffed in annoyance, looking at how collected she still looked.

He on the other hand looked like trash.

He had not slept in a week, refusing to eat much because it wouldn't fill the hole growing bigger inside of him every day. He was starting to smell more like garbage than the forest floor itself as showers seemed less important.

Ryder was most definitely coming apart at the seems.

Alisa missed his true scent by all means, but she would rather die than admit that to him or even herself.

Her nose twitched, nevertheless trying to ignore his increasing need for that shower.

"Clearly. You stink. When was the last time you did any basic necessity?"

Ryder pretended to think about it for a second before replying, "Before my mate started ignoring me all together."

His reply was sarcastic before continuing on in a normal voice.

"I have a right to want to talk about things, you know. The way you are constantly pushing me away will only worsen both our conditions," he said as he leaned closer, taking a sniff of her scent.

The proximity was almost enough to crack her resolve and it was as if he knew it too.

"You will be effected by it soon enough. That is an unfortunate promise," he finished in a whisper, letting their noses touch.

They were so close that their breaths haltered for a moment and it was just their beating hearts filling the silence.

It was a painfully long moment before Alisa returned to her senses.

"Is that a threat?" She sassily responded, pulling back and staring abruptly at him.

Ryder frowned in a mournful way.

"No, only a warning, my dear. The more you fight a mate bond, the more physically painful it becomes to both parties. Not just me. I am becoming worried about you," he said with concern laced in his saddened voice.

"Fine," she said with a roll of her eyes.

"How long can one potentially fight a mate pull before it becomes harmful to those involved?" She asked, looking directly into his eyes.

There was a pause as Ryder collected his thoughts and figured out the best words to reply with.

It was a whole minute before he even answered her looming question - one that broke his heart as it was being asked.

"They say by the first full moon of finding your mate, it starts to have effects on the two. The further they resist, from slight discomfort it becomes quite violent. As I was born on a full moon, this next one will surely be painful for you too."

"You seem so sure," Alisa continued in a sassy way, determined she could beat the effects of this bond with sheer willpower alone.

"Ask her, and she'll tell you," the reply came slow and soft, almost like a whisper.

"Who?" She questioned with mild curiosity.

Ryder humourlessly let out a small chuckle.

"Your wolf. What does she say about me?"

Before he'd even finished saying the last two words, the reply came strong and loud.

A deafening sound that rang in her ears.

'Mate.'

Alisa shifted uncomfortably, for her wolf always did appear whenever the beast wanted to and never when she actually needed nor desired.

"Come on. I am serious. What does she feel?" Ryder pressed with certainty that their wolves were at least on the same page.

For all things, even rank, never deterred a wolf from their mate.

Not a single thing ever could.

Alisa's blue eyes hazed off as her wolf began talking to her voluntarily for once.

'Mate. Feel mate. Why are you resisting?'

'Because you know why.'

'He is our mate; he wont reject us for something we can't change about ourselves.'

'But Ryder can and he probably will. He can't have an enemy leading beside him. It just isn't done. You know that.'

'But we aren't the enemy. They are.'

Alisa shook her head, not even bothering to reply to her wolf as her eyes returned to normal and she focused back on the young man across from her.

Turning back to him with a shrug.

"She doesn't really talk to me much," she answered as she feigned another half lie.

Ryder frowned in a simple response as he knew that wasn't all of the truth but decided not to push it for tonight.

There will be other times to show her the truth.

For now, the soon to be Alpha would just have to be patient even if it killed him in the process.

Love always came at a price.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro