5 | iridescence

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"It's hard to not like a man who not only notices the colors, but speaks them."

- Markus Zusak -

Fear gripped me with its icy fingers as I climbed into the passenger seat of Sage's black Jaguar XJ. My fingers curled around the edges of the cream-colored, leather seats. I must have been giving off a lot of nervous energy because Sage paused before starting the car's engine and she turned to look at me.

"Are you okay?" she asked. She looked stunningly beautiful, her usually straight hair now in curls that cascaded down her back, shimmering in the light of the descending sun.

"Yeah," I answered, with an unconvincing smile. "I'm just...nervous, I guess. This is my first party." I didn't feel embarrassed about admitting that to Sage; I felt comfortable around her, and somehow knew that she wouldn't taunt me.

"It's okay," she smiled, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear. "You look beautiful, tonight. You have nothing to worry about."

She started the engine, and the car came to life with a soft purr. I watched out of the window as the houses outside became a blur.

"Does Brea live close to you?" I asked.

"Fairly close," she answered. "It's about fifteen minutes away."

Fifteen minutes of trying to keep the food I ate earlier down.

My heart beat started steadily increasing as we arrived at a gate. The name "Anderson" was written in the middle of it in swirly, silver letters. Sage leaned through the window and pressed the buzzer. The gate slowly opened and Sage drove inside.

On either side of the road was grass that looked like it was watered every single day; it was so bright that it almost didn't look real. It was cut so short that it looked like an endless, emerald blanket.

That's when I saw Brea's house. I only realized that my mouth was hanging open when Sage started laughing at me.

"This can't actually be her house," I said.

Sage chuckled. "What were you expecting?"

It was a colossal, white mansion, with so many windows that I couldn't be bothered to count them. It was modern, with an old-fashioned feel to it. There were endless amounts of cars surrounding the house, partially blocking my view of the front door. Pounding music was emanating from it and I could see flashing lights inside the house.

Sage parked and we both got out. She linked arms with me and we walked up the stairs to the huge front door.

"You ready?" she asked me, with a smile playing on her lips.

I swallowed nervously and nodded, although I don't think I was being entirely truthful with her.

She pushed the doors open and we walked inside. There were people everywhere; dancing, kissing, drinking, talking. The music was so loud that it was deafening me, and the flashing lights were giving me mild seizures. I recognized a few people from school, but they probably didn't recognize me. The entrance hall was massive; there was a winding, marble staircase at the end of the hall, and a silver chandelier hanging from the ceiling, sparkling in the color from the lights.

"Let's go and get a drink," Sage said, grabbing my hand. I followed her out of the entrance hall and into the kitchen, which was probably the size of the bottom floor of my house. There was a fountain on the kitchen counter with red liquid pouring from it. Sage grabbed two cups, filled them up, and handed one to me. I sniffed it tentatively and took a sip. It burned my throat a little, but it felt good.

"Do you think we should go and find Brea?" I asked Sage.

Sage snorted. "We wouldn't be able to find her." She grabbed my hand again. "Let's go dance."

"No...no, I can't dance," I stuttered as she pulled me through the crowd of people. She led me to what seemed like the bar area. People were dancing to the ear-splitting music. Sage spun me around and I wobbled on my high heels.

"Not bad," she laughed, and I couldn't help laugh with her. She swayed her hips to the music and I tried to copy her. I envied how effortless she looked. The music seemed to engulf her as she moved. A few girls ran over to her and embraced her. I recognized one of them as a cheerleader from the classroom.

My feet were hurting already from dancing. "I'm just going to the bathroom!" I shouted to Sage over the pounding music. I don't think she heard me as she was talking to her friends.

I decided to leave her and catch up with her later. I had no idea where the bathrooms were, but I guessed they were upstairs. It would be quieter up there, I guessed. I ascended the staircase to the second floor. There were a lot of people up here, too. I walked over to two girls standing by the top of the staircase.

"Hey, do you know where the bathrooms are?" I asked them.

One of them pointed down the corridor. "Second door on your left."

I thanked her and walked down the corridor, dodging people, until I reached the bathrooms. I pushed open the door and closed it behind me. I dropped down onto the floor and took my shoes off, rubbing my tender feet, and I let out a long sigh. We had just got here and I was already ready to go home.

The door swung open and I looked up. My heart dropped into my stomach.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize there was somebody in here," Elijah Collins said, with a laugh, running his hand through his messy, red hair. His hair was even brighter tonight; a fiery red in the harsh light of the bathroom.

"No, it's...it's fine, I was just leaving," I smiled, trying to slow my furious heartbeat down.

"Wait...you're the one I bumped into today," he said.

I nodded and laughed. "Yes, I am."

"I'm Elijah Collins," he said, holding his hand out for me to shake it. My heart jumped as I shook his hand.

"I'm Lili Ayres," I smiled.

"Do you want to come and get a drink with me? I've been ditched," he said, rolling his eyes.

I didn't mention I already had a drink and nodded instead. "Sure," I smiled.

My feet were still aching, so I carried my shoes in my hand instead. He held the door open for me and I walked out of the bathroom. He was slightly taller than me, but not by too much.

"So, you're new at Oaksten, right? I think I would remember seeing someone as beautiful as you around school," he chuckled as we walked down the stairs. I noticed people staring at us as we walked, probably bewildered that the captain of the football team was walking with a nobody.

I was thankful for the lights as they hid the bright red blush that seeped into my cheeks. He called me beautiful.

"Yeah, I'm new," I said, trying to keep my voice as steady as possible. We walked into the kitchen.

People kept coming up to him; everybody seemed to know him. He poured me a drink, and then one for himself.

"Why did you move?" he asked.

Because people despised me and I didn't know why. "I felt like a change, I guess," I said, with a shrug. "Oaksten's a better school than my old one, and I kind of wanted to give myself a better opportunity, if you know what I mean."

He nodded and took a sip of his drink. "Totally. I moved to Oaksten three years ago for that very reason. I'm hoping to get a football scholarship at Stanford, and I kind of needed Oaksten's reputation on my CV."

"Stanford? Wow," I breathed.

He laughed. "Yeah, I'm aiming high. But I've never really wanted to go anywhere else."

"Well, I really hope you get in," I smiled. "I'm sure you will, though. You're captain of the football team...I mean, you definitely will."

"Thanks," he grinned, taking another sip of his drink. "Where are you looking at going?"

I shrugged. "I'm not sure yet. I've always liked the look of Yale."

"Good choice," he smiled. "Even though I'd be your rival if you went there." He winked at me.

I blushed and smiled. He downed his drink and poured himself a refill.

"So, why were you ditched?" I asked.

"My friend Jake can't keep his hands off his girlfriend for one second, that's why," he said with a roll of his eyes.

I laughed, and that's when I noticed he was looking at me, his eyes tracing my features, and a smile playing on his lips. The iridescence of the light caused his eyes to shimmer brilliantly, momentarily hypnotizing me. I felt an overpowering urge to pull him close to me and kiss him.

"Ah," he laughed. "There's Jake."

I turned around and saw a brown-haired boy run up to us. He ruffled Elijah's hair with a laugh. "Sorry, dude. Listen, everyone's going outside to the pool. You coming?"

Elijah looked at me with a soft smile. "Do you want to come?"

"I'd love to, but I think I should find my friend. She's probably wondering where I am," I said.

He nodded. "Sure. I'll see you...at school?"

I smiled. "Definitely."

I couldn't sleep that night. All I could think about was him. His voice, his laugh, his perfect features. I'd never met a boy that captivated my every sense with his presence.

He suddenly seemed like the light inside of my dark and cryptic life.

A/N

Hey, guys! So, this chapter was a little longer than the others so I hope you don't mind.

What are your thoughts on Elijah so far?

- Olivia Clarke -

GIF: Lili (Lilith Ayres) - Crystal Reed

© Olivia Clarke 2016

The Devil's Daughter

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro