2%

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The night was still and eerily silent as the last cannon sounded in the sky and showed the fallen tributes. As it faded away a frost settled and the temperatures dropped drastically. Everyone worked on getting a fire started and struggled to keep warm.

A young man panted quietly as he ran through the woods and jumped over fallen logs to avoid tripping. He glanced back at the woman chasing him then jumped off a small cliff. He grunted as he landed wrong but kept running as he gripped his bow and arrow. He put the arrow away and then set the bow over his shoulder so he could run faster. He quickly pulled his knife out and started cutting what he could to hopefully stop his predator. She laughed crazily and pulled out throwing knives then tried to hit him.

He grunted as one grazed his cheek but he didn't dare stop. He heard movement in the trees as if something was following them from above. He glanced up and saw two figures following as they jumped through the trees. He felt panic fill his heart and he ran faster even though he was limping now from his twisted ankle. He heard the woman behind him scream in terror but he didn't dare look back as he kept going. Knowing the other two would hunt him down and kill him. The two people attacked the woman and ended her then looked for the injured victim.

"At least she's gone. She won't torture the others anymore." The man growled and glanced to the woman beside him who scanned the area.

"I know we are supposed to kill each other... but I feel there is still a code of honor we need to follow." She said as she looked to the dead woman. "Airachnid just enjoyed torturing and making everyone suffer." She muttered bitterly then turned to go after the other but the man gripped her arm to stop her. "Let me go Prowl." She grumbled.

"Leave the other alone, Arcee. He's frightened and injured." He said and she shrugged him off angrily before glaring at him.

"We're all frightened in a way. I have to end his misery though since he's injured." She mumbled and quickly took off. Prowl sighed and ran after her as he clenched his fists. This was so irritating.

A young girl hugged herself and shivered as it started to snow hard and she glanced at the already frozen ground. She didn't have any warm clothes and she was trying to stay alive. The worst part was her tracks would give away her position. She bit her lip as she shivered and looked for food or water. Someone had stolen everything she had while she slept by her fire, even her shoes. They had also destroyed her fire and shelter, but for some reason they kept her alive. As if they wanted her to suffer. She didn't even know anyone in this crazy place.

She couldn't feel her feet and continued to shiver violently. She glanced to the gray sky then at the foot of snow that was now on the ground. She wanted to give up, but refused to and finally made it to the lake as the snow let up. She looked at the ice then grabbed a rock and started hitting the frozen water in hopes of getting through. The thin girl ended up wearing herself out instead and she fought back tears of defeat. She could hear a fight in the distance and she hugged herself as she looked around. Smoke rose from a fire up on a hill and she smiled hopefully. She crossed the frozen lake, not caring if someone saw her in that moment, and made her way to the fire. She looked to the night sky and then to the clearing as she came to it.

A campfire sat by itself as food cooked nearby on a rock. She gripped her stomach and fought the urge to just go to sleep. She looked around then darted out of hiding and sat in front of the fire. She hugged herself and tried to warm her body without jumping into the flames out of desperation. She closed her eyes and smiled weakly as she felt the warmth returning, though her joy was short lived when she heard someone approach. The girl jumped and looked up to see a tall and large man who was carrying wood.

He narrowed his eyes and shoved the wood to the ground then pulled out a dagger. He took a step forward to end her then stopped as he saw how cold and pale she was. He glanced at the snow and saw bloody footprints where she had walked. His expression softened as he pitied her and he slowly lowered the dagger.

"Please... I... I just need... to be warm... for a moment... please..." she rasped as she shivered and he hesitated again. Why was she here? She was so small. He nodded slowly and gathered the wood then set it by the fire.

"Where... are your shoes?" he asked as he watched her intently then glanced at the bloody footprints in the snow.

"Some jerk stole them... while I slept... along with all my supplies." She muttered and glared at him. "He was some weasel and coward... for stealing from a sleeping kid." She said and he smiled a little as he went through his supplies. She was right about that. He walked over and she started to move away.

"Easy... uh...er.... kid." He said as he crouched down so he was less intimidating. She watched him as he took out a medical kit and worked on her feet. She tensed and he paused then took his big coat off and wrapped it around her. She was completely engulfed in it and he chuckled a little as he went back to her feet. She watched the big man as he worked and smiled tiredly but with confidence.

"I'm Miko by the way." she said and put the hood up on her head as she watched him, feeling safe with him. He paused and looked at her then noticed the trust in her eyes. He felt a little bad then pushed it away. Maybe he could help her.

"I'm Bulkhead." He smiled as he bandaged her feet then put a pair of his socks on her then a pair of his boots. "When we get you warmed up and in a safe temperature zone, we'll get down to the supply center and try to get you some clothes that fit you better." he said. She nodded and he sat by her then gave her some of his freshly cooked food.

She looked at him in surprise then quickly ate as if she hadn't ever eaten before. He smiled sadly and watched her, but didn't eat his portion. He gave it to her when she was ready and watched for any danger. The need to protect her was far greater than his need to eat.

That night, Bulkhead stayed awake and kept the fire burning so she was warm while she slept. He went to get wood but kept her in his sight to make sure no one hurt her. He then sat by her as she lay on the cold ground, he didn't have anything for her to sleep on. He glanced at her and saw her shriving again then hug herself. He was worried his clothes were too big on her and not keeping her warm enough. He carefully picked her up and hugged her close to try and help. She whimpered and tensed in her sleep as she shivered.

"Shh shh shh, it's okay kid. I'm not going to hurt you." He whispered as he hugged her close and she rested her head against his shoulder. He sat close to the fire and hoped he could help her survive the night. He rested his head against hers and stared blankly as he felt her shiver.

"Come on kid... come on... you can make the night... please." he whispered as his need to protect her grew in his heart. He found himself dozing off but fought it as he held her, wanting to make sure she made it. Some time during the night she stopped shivering and he relaxed a little, though he realized she wasn't breathing either.

"Miko?" he whispered as he gently tapped her cheek. "Miko?" He asked and shook her a little as his fear grew. "Kid!" he said as he felt for a pulse and tears filled his eyes. She didn't respond and he choked back a sob as he held her close and buried his face in her shoulder. She was frozen.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..." he whispered as he rocked a little. He felt horrible that he hadn't helped her sooner or done more. He didn't know who long he sat their as he held the now dead girl. The sun started to climb the sky and he heard someone approaching. He looked up to see a man with a hatchet in his hand. He just stood there as he stared at the bigger man holding a sleeping young woman. Yet he could tell she had frozen during the night.

"Get out of here." Bulkhead seethed at the older man. But he didn't move as he watched him then put his hatchet away and glanced at the medical kit. He walked over and picked it up then looked at the bigger man.

"I'm a doctor." he said uncertainly and Bulkhead frowned as he held the girl close and moved away from him. "I must be. I don't remember but I've been able to do a few things that only a doctor can... such as surgery and repairing.." he trailed off and looked at his leg where there were bandages. "Let me help." He said with authority and the other man hesitated before letting him get closer to look at the girl. The doctor laid her down on the ground and started to assess the situation, as if it was instinct or second nature to him. He looked to the fire and added the rest of the wood before continuing. Bulkhead watched him and assisted him the best he could.

"You aren't going to kill us right after you help, are you?" Bulkhead growled as he looked at him and narrowed his eyes. The doctor paused and raised an eyebrow.

"I'm not cruel. Besides..." he mumbled as he started CPR and felt her pulse then continued. "I can't bring myself to kill anyone." He admitted and fell silent as he felt the faint pulse on the girl.

"Because... you're a doctor?" the other man asked as he watched him and the man paused then nodded a little before continuing. "What's your name?" he asked as he glanced around the area. The older man didn't respond as Miko gasped and coughed before shivering again and curling up. Bulkhead blinked in surprise and picked her up then hugged her close to keep her warm again.

"Ratchet. My name is Ratchet." The doctor said as he smiled just a little while he watched the two. The man seemed to be a protective older brother to the girl.

"Thanks Ratchet..." he said as he smiled a little and held on to Miko, hoping that would keep her from freezing again. The doctor nodded and winced a little as he looked off to the side, hiding his pain.

"You need to find a better place to hide and keep her warm. There is a cliff on the other side of the lake on the far end. I watched a young man take a boy up there to protect him. But they both perished... the boy ate the berries and the young man lost his life trying to get to the supplies." He explained. "It will be a good place to conceal yourselves and be safe from the hunters." He said. Bulkhead nodded slowly and gathered his things then put his backpack on before standing as he picked up the girl. He stopped and looked back at him.

"You should come with us, Ratchet." He said and paused as he heard someone yell in the distance. They were close. "You'll be safe too." he added but the doctor shook his head.

"I'll hold them off. I can't make the climb anyway, I'm too old." he grumbled then smiled sadly. "Get her to safety." He said seriously. Bulkhead hesitated then nodded before leaving him a dagger and running off.

Ratchet watched him go then grunted as he leaned against a rock and stared at the fire. He carefully lifted his shirt and looked at the bandages on his side and midsection. He gently moved the bandages and winced then grit his teeth as he looked at the infected wounds.

"No... I won't make the climb...." He rasped and relaxed against the cold rock as he let the pain subside. "At... least I was... able to save... another life..." he rasped weakly and looked up to the morning sky as he smiled tiredly.

He didn't know how much time passed before he heard someone coming and looked over to see a man that did most of the killing. He had a huge sword and another man with a type of whip followed him. A third man who was thin and looked like a weasel followed them and carried supplies. Ratchet chuckled bitterly then coughed as he watched them survey the area.

"What's so funny, healer?" The leader asked as he crouched by the injured mans side and glanced at the infected wounds.

"You look ridiculous." He smirked the best he could as he felt the cold air on his injuries. It was oddly comforting. "The... whole lot... of you... look like... idiots." He rasped making the leader growl in annoyance. He gripped the doctors hair and pulled his head back as he set the blade against his neck.

"I know you weren't alone here, doctor. The blood in the snow and the tracks indicate there were at least two others." he grumbled as the silent man surveyed the area. The third man ate what was left of the morning meal.

"Was there?" Ratchet asked as he watched him and raised an eyebrow, not caring if they killed him at this point. It was better than dying of an infection. "I thought I was the one who would be hallucinating. I am the injured one. All thanks to that idiot over there who can't properly kill a person." He muttered making the thin man whine in offense.

"I would have done perfectly fine if you weren't running away." He huffed and stood as he folded his arms.

"Silence Starscream." The leader snapped and glared at him then looked back to the doctor. "Don't try my patience healer." He said calmly and tightened his grip making the doctor grunt as he stiffened. "You already have a number of wounds that don't look good. I'm sure you don't want anymore. Dying by infection is a slow and painful process." He sneered as he cut his neck a little. Ratchet gasped in pain and squeezed his eyes shut.

"I want you to beg me to kill you. To beg for death." He smirked darkly as he cut a little deeper but not fatally. Ratchet grit his teeth and panted in pain as he tensed. "I want you to suffer. I've seen you run around this arena trying to save the pathetic prey, but to no avail. You will never succeed in saving a-" Starscream suddenly cried out in surprise as something landed by his feet. The leader looked to it as the silent man whipped around.

A small explosion went off killing the thin man as it knocked him into the fire and finished him off. The leader jumped up as another bomb landed at the silent mans feet. The former rushed over and kicked it away just as it went off. He cried out and fell back as he yelled in agony. The silent man quickly picked him up and flung him over his shoulder before he took off to find shelter for his fallen leader. Ratchet looked over to where the bombs had come from and saw a man run into the clearing as he grinned.

"Oh no... not you... I told you to stay away from me." Ratchet grumbled as the man grabbed what supplies were left.

"Hey Doc." The man said as he carefully picked him up and put him over his shoulders then looked around before leaving. "Thought you could use some help." He smirked and scanned the area as he ran the best he could.

"Wheeljack, I told you... to stay away... from me." He said again and grunted in pain as he felt himself fading. He didn't want to be in this nightmarish place any longer. He was in too much pain and couldn't figure out how to get out. He just wanted to sleep.

"Whatever you say Sunshine." The man rolled his eyes as he carried the doctor to a safe place for now. His expression became more serious as he felt the man going limp on his shoulders. "Just hang on Doc... isn't that what you told me?" he whispered more to himself. But the injured man didn't respond.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro