04| The Holders

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It wasn't long until Ganondorf returned again. His previous two-guard accompaniment had doubled to four, all armed with either a spear or scimitar that was deadly sharp.

"The king has requested an audience with you two," Ganondorf said. "And it would be rude to keep him waiting." The guards entered the cell and separated into two groups. Link recognized the guards approaching him as the ones who had gagged him. He still hadn't been able to get it off, unfortunately.

The guards unchained Link from the wall, and as the chains released he felt a simultaneous relief and agony in his upper arms and shoulders. His wrists were quickly bound in front of him before he even had a chance to move. He was then hauled to his feet, and he found it a struggle to stand. It was like his legs had turned to jelly, painful stabs arcing over his muscles. Out of the corner of his eye, he could tell that Zelda was struggling as well.

"I don't trust you enough to think you've learned your lesson yet," Ganondorf said, tugging on Link's gag. He should have been glad he didn't take it off, because Link had more than a few choice words and insults that he'd been brewing since the general had left the first time. "Now, shall we be going?"

Link and Zelda were led up and out of the dungeon and soon entered the castle proper. Instantly, they were both in awe. Link was never one to gawk at beautiful things or notice detail when it came to decorations or architecture, but Hyrule Castle was, for a lack of a better word, stunning.

The walls were done in dark wood while the floor was black, glistening marble, painstakingly polished to the point that it could display faint reflections. There were an unusual lack of windows, light coming from mounted oil lamps, but the space wasn't wasted.

Floor-to-ceiling tapestries made of what looked like silk and were embroidered with elegantly sewn Gerudic symbols and lettering hung at regular intervals. Between these tapestries paintings were displayed, or either well-crafted sculptures or painted clay vases filled with desert flowers sat upon small tables. Even the rugs they tread on were plush and colored a deep wine red. It was a veritable thief's dream.

"You two should be grateful," Ganondorf said, looking back over his shoulder at the captives. "Very few outsiders have had the chance to see this castle's interior, especially Hylian peasants like you. I'm sure neither of you have seen such grandeur, hm?" They didn't answer, nor tried to answer. "Silence speaks volumes," the Gerudo chuckled.

Link quickly lost track of where he was in relevance to the dungeon. The beautiful corridors soon lost their appeal and started blending into a satiny blur. All the walking was agony on Link's still-weak legs, and for some reason he'd begun to feel a distinct pins-and-needles sensation in his left hand, likely from the tight ropes binding his wrists.

Distracted, he didn't notice the grand set of double doors in front of them until they stopped, and even then he only stopped because a guard held him back before he could run into Ganondorf. The man turned around, and Link glared at him.

"I don't think I need to tell either of you how to act in the presence of the king, but I have a feeling one of you lacks respect in general," he said. "Should I educate you? Or is common sense good enough a teacher?" Link managed a scoff, at which Ganondorf frowned. "For your sake..." the man added.

One of the guards pushed Link forwards, and with that one step it was like he had slammed into a wall of negativity. It was unlike anything he'd ever felt before. A sense of oppressing, intimidating malice washed over him in an icy wave. A feeling of dread unlike any other ensnared his heart and viciously dragged it down to the pit of his gut. For a spilt-second, he wanted nothing more than to vomit. It took him a moment to regain his composure, but with faint horror he realized the horrible feeling was an aura.

"Why aren't you moving?" a guard demanded, shoving Link again and causing him to stumble. In his peripheries, he glimpsed Zelda looking at him with worry.

The throne room was every bit lavish as the corridors, even more so given that there were actually windows here. Four on each wall, all arched in shape and done in stained glass of varying orange and yellow hues. At the far end of the room, between two more windows, was a throne. And sat in that throne was who had to be King Daemos.

Given the rest of the castle's design, Link expected the king to be just as elaborate. But he didn't meet those expectations. He sat rigidly upon his throne, almost resembling a statue for how stiff and unmoving he was. His clothing was elegant in style yet not too over the top, colored black with dashes of muted reds and yellows, which oddly reminded Link of a fire. It certainly matched the colors of the tall bipedal cat that leaned against the throne, far too casually compared to the king. The creature's name escaped Link.

Very unlike a king, Daemos wore no crown. He instead donned a gold headpiece consisting of silver-dappled threads that matched his eyes, which held a dark glint. The headpiece started from his low strawberry-blonde Ponyta-tail and reached across the top and sides of his head in five strands that then culminated in a teardrop-shaped ruby in the center of his forehead. Even with the intimidating aura he practically radiated, he looked... sophisticated, nothing like the rest of his race.

The moment Link met Daemos' gaze, he realized the source of the aura he'd felt outside the throne room. It was coming from Daemos.

"Your Majesty," Ganondorf said, lowering his head and falling to one knee. The guards followed, dragging Link and Zelda down with them. "I've brought you the suspects, as you'd ordered," Ganondorf continued.

"Sarqso, General," Daemos thanked him in a deep, smooth voice. "Now, may you cut their bonds?"

Link's eyes widened in confusion and slight shock. Had he heard him correctly? Evidently, he wasn't the only one who was confused. Ganondorf's head shot up. "Your Majesty, are you sure about that?" he asked. "The vai, I'm not worried about, but the voe..."

"Do not question my orders, General," Daemos said with narrowed eyes. "What would they do? If they try to assault me, you or Incineroar can easily step in and stop them." The cat flashed Ganondorf a fanged grin. Daemos' gaze traveled over the Hylians, pausing on Link, who almost shrunk back from the king's stare. "Why is he gagged?" Daemos asked.

"He wouldn't stay quiet, Your Majesty," Ganondorf explained. "He insulted me and then spat upon my boot when I requested that he stop."

Link's bravado quickly returned. Only after threatening and insulting me! he wanted to say.

Daemos frowned. "His behavior was unwarranted and disrespectful, yes, but it wasn't inexcusable. I'm sure he is rightfully confused and has many questions. And he would have stopped eventually, be it by exhaustion or boredom." The king's gaze became darker. "What you or your women did... what will that say about us when they're released?" he asked, his voice sharper than flint.

"But it was not—"

"What will that say about us?" Daemos repeated, cutting him off. Link clenched his fists, becoming more wary than he already was. "Gagging him might have solved a problem in your eyes, but all it's done is reinforce the savagery we're known for!" the king continued.

"But he will surely direct hatred towards you if he's freed," Ganondorf insisted.

In a sudden burst of movement, Daemos slammed a fist down on the throne's armrest, and Link heard Zelda let out a squeak of fright. "Then I'll have Incineroar flay him alive!" the king proclaimed, now yelling. "Release them and ungag the voe. That is an order, General!" He froze, the look of anger on his face dissolving into one of surprise. He quickly shook his head and buried his face in his palm. "... Please," he added, much quieter. Link didn't trust this shift in attitude one bit.

"Yes, Your Majesty," Ganondorf said with great reluctance. He turned to the guards. "You heard King Daemos' orders. Release them," he said.

The moment Link was free, he tried to run. He was quickly seized again, but he continued to struggle. He had to get away from here. Something about Daemos was completely and utterly wrong.

"Stupid kid, stay still!" a guard hissed, too quiet for Daemos to hear. Link ignored her over the screaming of his instincts that begged him to flee. His skin broke out in goosebumps, and the odd tingling in his left hand increased to sharp pricks. Zelda, meanwhile, stood almost petrified after Daemos' outburst.

Daemos, oddly, looked ashamed. "I apologize for how I acted. You have nothing to fear," he said, having apparently returned to his previous calm persona, though Link highly doubted it. "The both of you must be wondering why you're here, correct?"

"Y-yes," Zelda replied hesitantly. "But I-I would like to ask you a question first."

Daemos nodded. "You may," he said.

"I-is my Braxien okay?"

Link was appalled by what she said. She had a Pokémon, and yet she had sat there while they were chained up, just waiting around. This menial questioning about their wellbeing was nothing in Link's eyes. "Luce, too!" he burst out, desperate to know his partner's condition as well. Link's hardened shell unintentionally splintered when he spoke, allowing a droplet of emotion to seep through.

"I'm assuming you're speaking of the Lucario that was brought in with you," Daemos said. "And to that, I answer yes. She was treated and is now in good health." He looked at Zelda. "Your Braxien is fine, as well. I treat the Pokémon of my kingdom like my subjects; I wouldn't dare turn a blind eye to one in need, especially if the infliction was caused by me or one of my guards."

Even though one of your guards had no problem with bashing me in the side of the head, Link thought. Even though he had received an affirmation from the king himself, Link still wasn't inclined to trust what he heard. Zelda, on the other hand, seemed relieved.

"So about you asking if we were confused..." Link intentionally trailed off.

Daemos nodded. "You are free to inquire about that. It would only make sense."

"Thanks," Link huffed. "Your 'general'," he put extra mocking emphasis on Ganondorf's title instead of replacing it with a word he thought was more appropriate, "said we're the Holders of Courage and Wisdom."

"He wasn't wrong," Daemos said.

Link held back the urge to smirk. "And if you can excuse me, Your Majesty, if you don't want us to be mistreated, why'd you lock us in the dungeon?" he couldn't help but ask in a voice dripping with sarcasm. His question was rewarded with deadly glares from every Gerudo in the room, though Daemos' was more disapproving.

"The vai, I feel more remorse for imprisoning. You, however, are suspected of over two-dozen muggings and robberies. You're notorious throughout the Ordon and Lanayru Provinces."

"And it's an honor to hold that position," Link said with an over-exaggerated bow. As expected, Daemos was not amused.

"She'll be released while you'll be tried for your crimes, I can assure you of that," he said, shaking his head and standing. Link briefly reeled back when he saw how tall Daemos was. An average Gerudo was a little over six feet tall, while Daemos easily reached seven feet.

"But we're straying from the reason you were brought here," Daemos said. "As stated before, you and the vai are suspected of being the Holders of Courage and Wisdom, and I need you for that reason. You are aware of the vendetta that has long been held between the Gerudo and Hylians, yes?" he asked, receiving a meek nod from Zelda and nothing but a scowl from Link.

"Since Queen Naboora's reign, my ancestors have spent the past two-hundred years struggling, struggling to earn the acceptance and respect that we need and deserve from the subjects of this kingdom," Daemos said. "We have since progressed to a less hate-filled relationship, but by no means a symbiosis, as how a kingdom should function. This relationship has been held together by nothing but fraying threads.

"Naboora may have been the first Gerudo ruler, but it was Iurre who really tried to mend the broken bonds between the Gerudo and Hylians. Raif and my mother followed in her footsteps and tried to instill an era of peace, one where the hatred and distrust would be minimal or nonexistent. But they all failed, and the task was passed on to me." He looked sorrowful. "I have tried to be like my mother and rule with no violence, but people have seemed to think it was acceptable to take advantage of my kindness."

Link couldn't disagree with the king. He couldn't count how many times in the past he'd used a Gerudo as a scapegoat for his crimes. And why would the bystanders not believe him? Blame almost always went to the nearest Gerudo.

"The root of this hatred lies in the Triforce, or more specifically, the Holders." Link could hear venom edging Daemos' words. "Since times untold, the Holder of Power has been a Gerudo, and a Gerudo ruler at that. They all had a choice of what they did with their power, and they abused it!" He held up his right hand, and on the back of it, a golden triangle was faintly shining. "But I know better!"

Link stared at the triangle, his brow furrowing. What the hell? he wondered, confused.

"Once again the Triforce of Power has been passed down to another Gerudo, but unlike my predecessors, I will be the one to break the cycle." He took a moment to look both the Hylians in the eye. "And you two will help me accomplish that task. With the three of us in such close proximity, the Triforce pieces should resonate. That will prove whether this assumption is correct."

The king approached Link and Zelda, his Incineroar moving to stand by him. Link noticed that Daemos' mark was glowing brighter. It was then that the pricking in his hand increased to an outright searing pain, and at the same moment an intense warmth surfaced in every part of his body, as if he were standing under the summer sun. It wasn't enough to hurt, but it surprised him enough to force a gasp from him.

Link finally looked at his hand, and he was shocked to see that a triangular marking had appeared on the back of it. It was flickering with the same golden light as Daemos', except the glowing piece was in the lower-right corner of his marking as opposed to the top section of the king's.

Link heard Zelda gasp next to him. He found it difficult to tear his eyes from the anomaly on his hand, but he managed to do so and saw the girl clasping her right wrist tightly. She was staring at her hand, her eyes so wide they looked like they were about to pop out of their sockets. Like Link suspected, a golden triangle was glowing upon the back of her hand, the lower-left section, it seemed.

"I can sense Din's power coursing through me," Daemos said reverently. "You two should be sensing the powers of Farore and Nayru. And in accordance to the legends of old, we will be able to summon the Triforce."

Daemos abruptly took hold of Zelda's wrist, and she choked back a scream. He then looked at Link, and the look in the king's eyes was all the Hylian needed to know what he wanted. Ganondorf and the guards also seemed to know what Link was thinking, unfortunately. Two grabbed him before he could make a move and forced his hand next to Zelda's and Daemos'.

One thing that Link noted instantly was that the light from their markings shone brightly and unwavering, while his flickered and sputtered like a dying torch. This detail didn't seem to go unnoticed by the king.

"What is going on?" The question was quiet. Daemos looked up, his now-smoldering gaze boring into Ganondorf. "What is the meaning of this, General?" His voice was low and deadly. "You told me once the Holders were brought together, the Triforce shall be summoned. Then why... why is nothing happening?" he shouted, startling everyone.

"I am not sure, Your Majesty." Ganondorf sounded genuinely confused.

Daemos shook his head, unconvinced. "Do not lie to me, you know how long I've been waiting for this moment!"

"I really do not know!" Ganondorf insisted, his eyes wide. In that moment everybody seemed distracted, and Link took advantage of it. He contorted his body, kicking one of his captors in the leg and managing to land a clumsy but effective punch on the other's chest. He tore himself away from the hands that tried to claw him back into their grasps, stumbling but managing to regain his footing and running.

"Incineroar, stop him!" Daemos bellowed.

Link had made it halfway across the room when a heavy weight slammed into his back, knocking him to the floor with an impact that winded him. His arms were quickly pinned by two hand-like paws, their claws lightly digging into his wrists.

"St-stop it! Let me go, dammit!" Link wheezed, struggling with all his might. He wouldn't let himself be captured again, he had to escape! Oblivious to his attempts to strike it, the cat pulled Link to his feet and dragged him, kicking and cursing, back to Daemos and the others. The king stared at Link with contempt and utter anger.

"You still don't understand..." he growled. He closed his eyes, clenching his fists until his knuckles were white. "Get him out of my sight, General. The vai, too. But she may remain unchained."

Ganondorf nodded, the slightest bit of amusement alight in his eyes. "Yes, Your Majesty."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro