06| Kokiri Glade

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

With Rosina's words, Kirlia's eyes glowed blue. Everything then seemed to break apart, separating into scraps and shards that faded into white and began to swirl around the group rapidly. Link quickly grew disoriented, having never Teleported before.

And... Stop! Kirlia shouted, and the swirling particles froze. They seemed to throw themselves back together, color bursting into them as they did so. A mist-shrouded forest clearing blossomed from the previously colorless void. The ground sprung into existence, further jarring Link's senses and throwing him into the caterwauls of vertigo, which did nothing to help his already-present dizziness and nausea. He sank to the ground, his gorge rising.

"Wow, I haven't done that in ages," Zelda said, lightly holding her head in her hands. Link barely heard her; he was too busy retching.

"At least one of you handled the Teleport well," Rosina said with a hint of disgust, looking at Link. If he weren't feeling so sick, he would have snapped back at the sprite. Her saying that made him feel weak, weaker than he already was.

After vomiting up what felt like all of his organs, Link flopped down onto the grass, exhausted. As much as he had hated Teleporting, it had been worth it. The prickly yet soft grass beneath his fingers and the crisp scent and feeling of the air was utter heaven to him. And this is why I prefer being outside, Link thought, raking a hand through his fringe. He was so happy to finally be out of there. Reveling in nature helped him nearly forget the pain. But there was one thing that would have made him feel even better, and that thing was kneeling down next to him a moment later.

"Luce!" Link managed to exclaim. She thankfully didn't seem to be hurt.

"He was right! You're safe!" Link overheard Zelda say. He looked and saw her embracing a Braxien, who nuzzled her comfortingly.

Hmph, so she actually did care, Link thought.

"Carr..?" Luce growled in concern when she noticed the bandages wrapped around Link's head. She lightly probed the spot, prompting a small pain to strike Link. He tried to act like it didn't bother him.

"I got that a little while ago. It still hurts a bit, but it's nothin' too bad, I promise," he assured her. Luce's eyes glistened with relief, and she quickly wrapped her arms around him, pulling him close to her. In his partner's embrace, Link wanted to cry with joy and relief, but he wasn't about to let himself do that. "I-I'm so happy you're safe..." The slight stutter was all he allowed himself.

"I'm glad to see everyone's reunited!" Firenz said loudly, and Link frowned. The moment had been ruined by the fairy's shrill voice. "Now we can make our way to Kokiri Glade," said shrill voice spoke next.

Zelda's eyes widened. "Really? Kokiri Glade exists? I thought that was just a fairy tale," she said in amazement.

"Of course. Where do you think we came from?" Rosina responded. "But we'll be safe there."

"Wait, who said I or my partner were goin' with ya?" Link asked, pulling away from Luce and narrowing his eyes at the sprites. "I guess ya deserve a thanks for gettin' us out of there, but we're goin' out to Necluda."

"You guess?" Firenz grimaced, his glow flickering a bit. "It's better than no thanks at all, I suppose..."

"No, you're not going to Necluda," Rosina interjected. "You wouldn't be able to find your way out of here."

Link scoffed. "Please, Luce and I had lived in the Great Hyrule Forest for over a year! I think we have an idea of where to go." Sure, they hadn't been in this section before, but he was confident they could find their way out.

Rosina looked utterly unconvinced. "Not here you don't! This is the Lost Woods. Without one of us or a Kokiri to guide you, the mist will consume you in seconds, and you'll be doomed to wander the forest until you perish from starvation or dehydration... unless the Shiinotic or Trevanant get to you first. Either way, you'd be condemning yourself and your Pokémon to a terrible fate."

Link was about to retaliate when a series of eerie groans and rustling wafted out from the trees. Link's blood chilled. He'd never heard such disconcerting sounds before. They sounded undead. He was silent as the grim truth of Rosina's words seeped into him. Before he could act or say anything, Luce nodded firmly, exclaiming an agreeing cry of sorts.

Okay great! They're coming with us, Kirlia told the faeries.

"Luce! Why'd you—?" The Lucario silenced him by raising a paw, shaking her head. Link expressed his disagreement with a frown but didn't try to press his case. When Luce's protective instincts kicked in, there was no budging her, unfortunately. Another round of chthonic groans echoed about the clearing, sounding much closer this time.

"We'd better start heading back now. They won't wait for us to come to them," Rosina said.

"Yes, c-could we please go now?" Zelda stuttered. She had gone white as a sheet, and Link honestly couldn't blame her. He begrudgingly nodded and stood, accepting Luce's assistance when he stumbled. Zelda seemed to take note of that but didn't say anything about it.

"Alright, everybody stay close, and don't stray from us under any circumstances," Rosina cautioned before flitting to the clearing's edge, Firenz at her side. The Hylians and Pokémon followed her, and the group vanished into the mist-shrouded forest.

The trek through the forest was rushed and mostly silent, save for the occasional twig snap or leaf rustle farther out in the trees. Under different circumstances, the place would have seemed like a beautiful, almost magical locale. But Link never acknowledged whimsy, nor did he care for it. The haunting cries of the Shiinotic and Trevanant that continued to follow behind them didn't help his bitter sentiments one bit. He only took his eyes off the mossy ground when Luce stopped walking.

Before the group sat a huge log laying on its side, one of its ends facing them. Close-growing trees with tall bushes and leafy plants between them spread out like a wall on each side of the log's end. The log itself was easily six feet in height, and through a thick curtain of ivy hanging on it Link could see that it was hollow. Rosina and Firenz struggled a bit to part the vines and slipped through.

It's just a little bit farther, Kirlia said. She waited for the Holders and their Pokémon to enter before following behind.

Inside the log it was murky and dark, no light penetrating the bark walls and roof. Firenz's and Rosina's glows provided little light.

"Fira, give us a light," Link heard Zelda say. The Fire-type yipped and a bright flame flared to life a second later. He had pulled the stick from his tail and was using it as a torch.

"And that's why you're the Holder of Wisdom. They always think on their feet," Rosina mused approvingly. Link took a bit of offense to that.

The log's width was but a sampling of how massive the former tree had been. It was like a tunnel, stretching on for dozens of yards. An eternity seemed to have passed by the time they reached the other ivy-cloaked end.

Firenz and Rosina made more of an effort to part the vines for the others, made easier with Kirlia's help. Pale light spilled into the log tunnel, brighter than the light in the forest but by no means enough to really be blinding.

"Well, we're here!" Firenz said happily.

Beyond the tunnel, a more unique terrain spread out. Five or so trees with massive trunks the size of small cottages stood along a rough path that stretched straight back to someplace Link couldn't see. The canopies of the trees blotted out a good majority of the sky, shafts of light piercing the leaves' gaps. These trees had several large, sturdy branches upon which what looked like wooden tree houses were built, rope ladders extending down to the ground. It wasn't the trees themselves or the treehouses that attracted Link's attention more, but the area's inhabitants.

Children.

The children, Hylian in appearance and dressed in green, scurried about the forest floor. Most of them had a fairy trailing behind them, as well as a Pokémon or two. Petilil, Comfey, and Whimsicott were but a few of the Pokémon who shared the glade with the children. They must have been the elusive Kokiri. One of them, a boy with reddish hair and a white fairy, then noticed the new arrivals.

"Hylians?" he gasped loudly, catching the attentions of the Kokiri around him, and soon over half the glade.

"Mal, relax!" Firenz exclaimed, holding up his hands. "It's us!"

"Hi, you three!" a blonde Kokiri girl called, waving. "Are those the Hylians the Great Deku Tree and Overseer Resa were talking about?"

Great Deku Tree? Link wondered. The name sounded familiar to him. And another mention of that Resa person...

"Yes, they are," Rosina answered the girl. "Could you tell Saria that we're back?"

"Yeah, of course!" The girl took off down the path. This seemed to give permission for the other curious Kokiri to approach the group, crowding around them and unleashing a flood of questions.

"What're your names?"

"Where are you from?"

"Are you really the Holders of Courage and Wisdom?"

"How long are you gonna stay here?"

Link had to resist the urge to shove his way out the crowd, the barrage of noise and warm bodies stifling him like they had when he was in Hyrule Castle City. It almost felt like he was being suffocated. If it weren't for Luce trying to push back the Kokiri, Link would have done it himself and not nearly as gently. Zelda seemed a tad uncomfortable as well, but not as much as Link.

"Everybody, calm down and step back!" a commanding female voice ordered. Most of the Kokiri went silent almost immediately gave the group some space.

Another Kokiri had approached them, a pink fairy fluttering about her. This one was female with short green hair held back by a headband and matching eyes. Unlike the other Kokiri, she wore a green cloak along with a large straw hat whose brim was separated into sections like a windmill's fans. An air of authority hung about her, and her eyes held a sage-like reverence that seemed more fitting of someone many decades her senior.

"Hello, Holders of Courage and Wisdom," the girl said, smiling. "My name is Saria, and this is my fairy, Fora." She placed a hand to her chest as the pink-hued sprite waved shyly. "I am the... leader of sorts of Kokiri Glade. It's a honor to meet the both of you." She gave a slight bow.

"Oh, likewise, Saria," Zelda responded. Link just nodded.

"With your arrival to the glade, I'm sure you have many questions. The Great Deku Tree and Overseer Resa will be able to answer them, and they'll soon request your meeting with them. Until then, you can rest at my home." She briefly turned her attention to the other Kokiri. "Could you all please resume your daily activities? I don't think the Holders like having you crowd around them."

Zelda cringed. "No, Saria, it's okay. They don't—"

"That's fine!" Link burst out, relieved. He received a fierce glower from Zelda, but he tossed one back at her.

"Well, I suppose we should head back to my home for now," Saria said. "You might as well rest and eat something while you wait to be summoned." Link's glare faded the moment Saria said that. He was starving.

Saria's home was inside one of the trees' trunks, a humble little one-room abode with a bed, small sitting area, kitchen, and desk with a chair. The space was warmly lit by a fire crackling away in a stone stove. A short pink and tan Pokémon with blue eyes was tending to a pot hung over the fire, and they looked at Link and Zelda curiously. Link recognized them as an Audino, a Pokémon commonly seen at apothecary shops or with healers due to their wide variety of healing abilities.

"Audino, this is Zelda and Link," Saria introduced. "They are the Holders of Wisdom and Courage." The Pokémon's eyes widened, and they bowed respectfully. They made a small, melodic humming noise as they straightened back up.

She says it's almost finished, Kirlia informed Saria. Also, she's glad she made extra this time.

Saria nodded. "Thank you." She turned back to the group. "Both Kirlia and Audino live with me and Fora. It might be a tight fit, but I think we'll manage. Firenz, Rosina, you're welcome to visit," she said to the lavender and green faeries.

Firenz waved his hand dismissively, smiling. "Thanks, but no thanks. I'm sure the Great Deku Tree is expecting us back."

"He definitely is. This was our Assigning Task, after all," Rosina said. "Farewell, Holders. I'm sure we'll meet again soon."

"Thank you so very much for helping us escape," Zelda said gratefully. "I can't imagine what we would have done if you hadn't come."

"You don't need to thank us, we were just doing our task." Rosina nudged her brother. "Come along, Firenz." They both waved goodbye before flying out of the home.

Once the faeries had gone, Saria spoke up. "Now, could you all take a seat? Anywhere is fine. My apologies that I don't have adequate seating. I, nor the glade, don't receive many visitors, especially those who are Hylian."

Zelda and her Pokémon took seats in the few chairs while Link made himself comfy on the floor, letting Luce take the bed. She wasn't having it at first, but Link insisted that he was fine where he was.

"Audino, I can finish that up," Saria then said. "Can you tend to Link's head injury?" Audino nodded and traded places with Saria.

The pink Pokémon gave Link a smile but didn't move. After a moment Link realized that she was waiting for him to do something, perhaps give her permission. He nodded, and Audino came to stand by him. She undid his bandages with one hand while her other began to glow with a pinkish-yellow light. Link wasn't expecting her to have to touch the wound, and when she did he tensed up out of reflex but instantly relaxed. Warmth radiated from her hand in waves, each one taking some of the pain away until it was gone altogether.

While Link was being healed, Zelda asked Saria, "I don't mean to sound nosy, but what did Rosina mean by 'Assigning Task'?"

Saria explained. "Each Kokiri has a guardian fairy. The faeries go through a training process, and then they're given an Assigning Task to determine whether they're worthy of charges or not. Like Rosina said, rescuing all of you was their task. There's no doubt they've passed, but it's up to the Great Deku Tree and Overseer Resa to decide for sure."

Link frowned. Again with this 'Overseer Resa' person...

Not long after that, Saria passed around bowls and utensils. The bowls contained some kind of creamy-looking soup, from which a warm, almost heavenly aroma arose. But as hungry as he was, Link didn't touch the food.

"Is there any meat in this?" he asked Saria somewhat coldly.

The Kokiri looked shocked, almost appalled at the notion. "Of course not! We Kokiri wouldn't dare kill a Pokémon for resources or sport, not when the plants provide more than enough."

A small smile crept onto Link's face. "That's good. Thanks."

"Wow, an actual thank you. I'm surprised," Zelda said quietly. Link frowned, but the slight ire didn't last for long as he quickly became absorbed in the food. He couldn't remember the last time he had a hot meal.

It was quiet for a spell, the first real moment of calm since the escape. But Link wasn't calm, he couldn't be calm. A million thoughts raced through his mind, all tinged with worry. Would they be able to track us out here? he wondered. Psychic energy can be detected by other Psychic-types, but I've never heard of any kind of tracking being done like that.

He looked at his left hand, frowning at the triangular marking upon it. The Triforce piece Daemos had gave him divine magic. Could he somehow find Link using it? He knew nothing about magic, so he could be right for all he knew.

"Lucario?" Luce yipped. Link turned to her, and she was giving him yet another look of concern. She must have seen Link's expression.

"I'll tell ya later," he mouthed to her. She nodded and let him be, which relieved him. It would allow him to shove aside his worries, like he always did. He had bigger, more important things to address.

He turned to the girls, who were talking about something or other. What it was, Link couldn't care less to know, but it seemed to be interesting to Zelda.

"I don't mean to interrupt ya or anythin'," Link interjected loudly. He wiped his mouth on his sleeve before continuing, looking at Saria while ignoring Zelda's glare. "But can ya tell me who Resa is?"

"I-it would be for the best if you called her by her title, Overseer Resa, but that should only be in her presence," Saria said, no doubt surprised by Link's sudden interruption, but she recovered quickly and responded. "As for the Overseer herself... I'm not able to really answer you. Nobody has ever seen her."

Link's brow furrowed. "Are ya kiddin' me? You have so much respect for a thing ya haven't even seen?" he asked incredulously.

"Well, it's comparable to subjects respecting royalty despite possibly never being able to ever see them in person, isn't it?" Saria asked. Link scowled, and Zelda cast her gaze downwards. Sensing that she must have struck a nerve, Saria went back to speaking. "A-anyways, Overseer Resa makes herself known only through Kirlia and the few other Pokémon capable of telepathy here, so it's safe to assume she's either mute or just unable to speak."

"Makes sense, I guess," Link muttered quietly.

"Regardless of speaking abilities, you call her 'Overseer'," Zelda said. "Do you know what she 'oversees', at least?"

"That, we do know," Saria replied with more confidence. "She guards one of the most powerful, sacred weapons in recorded history. It's a weapon bound forever to the Holder of Courage. Only they can wield it." She looked right at Link. "Surely you've heard of it? It's known as the blade of evil's bane, or more simply and effectively, the Master Sword."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro