23| Ascending Descent

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Liquid fire coursed through Link's veins, searing alongside the adrenaline that accompanied it. He sidestepped Luce's lashing paw, the rushing air breezing across his face. He aimed a kick back at her, and she easily avoided it, afterwards rushing in for another blow.

Link forced the radiant energy to flow down his arms, and he quickly held them up to block the incoming attack. Luce's fist impacted his forearms, but the pain of the attack was significantly dulled. With a spark of green, Luce was knocked away, skidding back a few paces.

Once he was out of Luce's range, Link cut off the flow as quickly as he could. He was still able to keep his footing, though a light dizziness clouded his head. He cursed under his breath; he'd let too much of his own energy slip into that one. Win or lose, he knew he wouldn't leave this match satisfied unless he pulled off at least one more move with just Courage's power.

Link had actually been in decently high spirits recently, likely because it was the fact that he'd been able to beat Luce in their sparring matches several times in a row. Regardless, his time at the Domain had been relatively nice, even with the threat of Daemos and Ganondorf looming over them.

Luce came at him again, weaving about to try and throw Link off. His arms raised again as his gaze flitted about, trying to track her. He had a feeling about where she would strike, and he guessed correctly. The right.

With a knowing glance, Link threw a jab. Luce faltered, and he thrust out his hand. A wave of light burst from his palm, impacting her and knocking her off her feet. Worry struck Link, but she reassured him with a smile, and the joyous rush victory provided erased the worry. Even better, no further side effects of Courage's usage hit him. He'd done it!

That was rather impressive, you two, Resa commented. It was only now that Link realized that she had been watching the fight. He was so focused on what he'd been doing that he hadn't noticed either her or her aura.

Resa's presence didn't surprise Link, though it still threw him off. "Uh, thanks," he said. "How long were ya watchin' us?"

Since you started that last match, she said. I knew you would be here with Luce, and I was hoping to talk to you. May I confide in you about something? she asked.

Link raised a brow. "Sure?"

"Hmph," Luce huffed, nodding respectfully as she backed off. Link watched her retreat to the far end of their side of the cave where a small group of Poliwrath and Swampert were training. Even if he made no effort to bond with any of the Zora, Link was glad Luce had found some kinship with the bulky Water-types.

"So what's up?" Link asked.

Earlier today, Queen Mipha informed me that seemingly nothing has come of what occured at the temple, so we may leave if we wish, Resa informed. I know you're ready to leave, though I'm not sure if the same could be said for Wisdom. Even though the guards are stable now, she still spends her time in the medical ward.

"Yeah, that's kinda my fault," Link said. "I suggested that she looked into medicine since she's been wantin' to do other things. I ain't the only one havin' issues with bein' a Holder."

That's thoughtful of you, Courage, Resa said warmly. But while I'm glad she has taken such an interest in healing, we really need to go, and that is where the issue lies. I want to tell her that, but I'm worried that she will insist on staying.

"Feelings haven't stopped ya before," Link said.

Yes, I know! she said. But I've been trying to be more conscientious, I mean, aware of people's feelings.

She actually had. The way she just used a word Link understood proved that. "I 'preciate your effort, but you just gotta be blunt sometimes," Link said. He smirked. "You had no problem firin' back at me before, so do that." Resa still seemed hesitant, to which Link added, "Don't do it meanly. I can't tell ya how to do that though."

I suppose I'll try that. According to Wisdom, you've made some progress with harnessing Courage. And that was clear to see during your match with Luce. It seems that you're working it into your own fighting style.

"I guess?" Link flicked out his hand, and a trail of green light rolled down his palm, where it formed into a small orb that balanced on the tip of his index finger. He had to stop talking in order to focus, otherwise it would have burst right away. With a twitch of his finger, he flicked it up and caught it, crushing and dispelling it quickly. "If ya think this is somethin', then I guess I should be happy."

What did I tell you? You would improve with practice. Now if only Wisdom was improving as much...

Link felt an empathetic stab of pity for Zelda. It was strange hearing a comment like that be leveled at her.

Resa fluttered her sashes nervously. No, I shouldn't fault her. You both have your own pace to work at.

"Not like I've actually got it though. A couple of these is all I can manage on just Courage alone," Link said, shrugging. "If I had all of Courage, then maybe I'd have an easier time with this." He cast a pointed look Resa's way. She casually deflected it with a shrug of her sashes.

All the more reason for you to continue to better yourself, yes?

"I don't get why you're still keepin' Courage from me when I said I'd go along with you guys," Link said.

I want to see your potential, and merely accompanying us isn't enough, she said. I'll give the rest of it to you when I become convinced that you've truly devoted yourself to the role you play in the mission.

Link had no response for her besides an exasperated glower.

However... you are on your way, Resa admitted. Don't think I haven't noticed the shift between you and Wisdom as well as how you address me now. She sighed. I wish I could understand why you're so reluctant to talk to others, but I'm sure it's for a variety of reasons that you don't want to speak of.

"I'm glad ya figured that out," Link said.

I'm not asking for you to open up about everything, I would just like to establish a sense of trust. This is both for anything we could encounter as well as our own personal feelings, since there really is no way for us to shorten the amount of time we have to spend traveling. A tense atmosphere isn't a pleasant one.

Link knew what she was referring to with that. He waited for her to say more, and when she didn't, he said it. "Ya aren't gonna bring up what happened in Ordon?" he asked with a bit of hesitation.

No, because I know you've already suffered enough from that. Looking back, I know I sounded selfish with how I spoke of Luce, even if she didn't think so. She regarded Luce with a cursory glance. I once had a partner Pokémon of my own, you know. He was sweet and gentle in spite of his appearance. No matter the occasion, he never failed to brighten my spirits. Resa's words began to grow unsteady. He was still alive, even when I... She cut herself off. We're heading to Necluda after this, she said in her usual stoney tone. According to Virizion, Cobalion's temple is among the cliffs there. I'll go inform Wisdom of the situation now.

"Alright," Link said with a shrug. Resa nodded and briskly left. Link watched her go, an uneasy slurry of emotions churning in him.

Luce reapproached him soon after Resa's departure. "Lu?" she barked, raising a brow curiously as Link turned his attention to her.

Link regarded her with a frown. "I never would've thought she had a Pokémon. It sounded like she..." He trailed off. The other brow rose as Luce looked interested in what Link was about to say. Link bit his lip before explaining what Resa had said. "What, ya wanna know what I think 'bout that?" Luce nodded, and Link let out a sigh. "Yeah, I like that she isn't as pissy now," he admitted. "But I'd rather her be that way than a softie."

"Lu," Luce snickered, shaking her head in amusement.

"Ya really like bein' 'round these guys, don't ya?" Link asked. Luce nodded without hesitation. "'Specially Fira. He thinks you're a great Pokémon by the way. Told me to tell ya that, and I can't blame 'im."

Luce's ears perked up at that, and she smiled. "Ri car," she barked with a small laugh, clearly happy.

"Tryin' to get 'im to come outta his shell or somethin'? Or do ya just want someone ya can actually talk to?" When Luce's happiness became unsure, Link said, "I'm not mad. It's not like we can really talk to each other. Maybe ya should've taught me to speak Pokémon 'stead of Aura. But Aura's pretty nice too." His teasing smirk lifted Luce's mood, and he added. "'Course, ya probably wanna talk to others in general. I don't gotta say that ain't what usually I do, do I?"

Luce shook her head. She tapped the back of her right paw, then pointed a wayward claw at the Master Sword.

"Well... yeah, I've been talking with Zelda and Resa," Link said. There was no denying that, especially after what had happened since they arrived at the Domain. Luce gestured with her paw, as if she was saying "go on." Link's brow furrowed. "What, ya want me to say I like talkin' with 'em too? Your optimism's just as high as Zelda's."

To that, Luce tilted her her head, looking at Link expectantly. He stiffened, feeling like her gaze was going straight through him. His gaze fell to the floor, as if he'd find his answer there. It obviously wasn't, it was on the tip of his tongue, though he was reluctant to voice it. But after some hesitation, he did.

"And... you're kinda right, 'cause," he couldn't believe he was saying this, "I do too, actually," he admitted, and Luce smiled.

—~*—

The heavy clicking of Ganondorf's boots on marble flooring rang loudly in Hyrule Castle's corridors as he walked them. His jaw was set firmly while his hands were clenched at his sides. Tenseness or confidence? It was up to the occasionally passing servants and maids to decide.

He didn't find himself admiring his surroundings for once. While he usually found the lavish decor and window-less walls comforting, they didn't seem to bear the same resemblance to the aesthetics of his homeland. A lack of windows meant less opportunity for the blistering sunlight to leak through, and colorful decorations made up for the drabness no windows forced onto a room. He felt that more light was much-needed, especially for where he was headed.

It had almost been two months since the Holders were last sighted in the Deku Kingdom. And the time in between had not been pleasant. Daemos spent nearly all of his time in the castle's archives, only leaving when his advisors insisted on it. After all, he had more important things to do than pace aisles or pore over books all day. But Daemos didn't see it that way, and Ganondorf was growing concerned about that.

Ganondorf himself had been busy as well. As the head general of the Royal Guard, he had been tasked with assembling what Daemos started calling the "Holder Search Force." Ganondorf had been running his captains as well as himself ragged, sending out search party after search party to increasingly further reaches of Hyrule, all in search of the Holders.

The general grimaced when that term came to mind. With Daemos, it was "Holders this," "Holders that," it was all the king could talk about now. Obviously, it would be the topic of the reason why Daemos had summoned Ganondorf. It was rare that they had a casual conversation anymore; the last time they had truly spoken was over two weeks ago. And Ganondorf missed that. Surely Daemos did? Ganondorf hoped that it was the case.

A tight knot of dread began to form in Ganondorf's gut as he ascended the stairs to the castle archives. He didn't know why. It was Daemos, his closest friend since they were both toddlers, the man who he guarded with his life as his personal guard until Incineroar took over that position. He had more of a reason to be afraid of the Holder of Courage than Daemos, and yet that dread sat there, taunting him.

Ganondorf's breath rattled unsteadily in his chest as he lightly rapped at the doors to the archives. He didn't expect an answer, so he was surprised when one of the doors opened and Incineroar peered out. Her face was pinched with worry, and it only lessened a little when she saw Ganondorf.

"Mrow," she rumbled, beckoning him in with a paw. He entered, and she led the way.

Nothing seemed too off about the archives at a first glance. They were as empty and well-lit as usual, so it wasn't the silence that would seem strange. But there was something, something in the air, like an uneasiness. Perhaps it was just Ganondorf's own nerves. Still, he couldn't help but tense up.

Then he began to hear the muttering.

From some distant corner of the archives echoed the low, frantic mutterings of someone. A faint chill swept through Ganondorf, and he shared a glance with Incineroar. She sighed and nodded, disconcerting Ganondorf even more.

Eventually they came upon Daemos. The king was sitting on the floor in the middle of an aisle, an open book in his lap as several others lay around him. The mutterings came from him as he was utterly engrossed in the book he held. He didn't seem to notice his friend's presence, so Ganondorf cleared his throat.

Daemos went rigid before his head darted up. Behind his reading spectacles, his eyes flared with irritation, which surprised Ganondorf. But then the irritation faded to a feverish excitement. "Dragmire, there you are! I've been waiting all night for you!" he said.

"It hasn't even been half an hour since you summoned me, Your Majesty," Ganondorf said as he bowed to Daemos.

"Has it? Time has seemed like nothing to me as of late." Daemos scrambled to his feet, taking the open book with him. "But look, I figured out a possible lead as to where we could find the Holders. And that is what I would like to address with you at this moment." He handed the book to Ganondorf before he could reply.

Ganondorf didn't look at the page right away, but at Daemos. While he wished he could be happy that Daemos seemed to be in high spirits again, upon closer inspection, that didn't appear to be the case. If it wasn't the dark bags under his eyes, then it was the smile that seemed just a little too wide. Just how many hours had Daemos spent awake reading?

"Sire, isn't this a task that would have gone to the researchers?" Ganondorf asked, worried for his friend's health.

A dark scowl briefly twisted Daemos' kind features. "It did, but they were useless. It seems that if you ever want anything done, you have to do it yourself." He shook his head, his excitement returning. "But read it!" Following more hesitance, Ganondorf did.

"After the previous known clash of the Holders two-thousand years ago, a group dedicated to the protection of the blade of evil's bane was born. They were called Farore's Watchers, and they consisted of the legendary Swords of Justice and a single Aegislash. Those in this group were bestowed the title of Overseers and were sealed away in four temples that are scattered across the kingdom of Hyrule."

Farore's Watchers? Ganondorf arched a brow at the name. It sounded like something a child would make up for some game. While what he just read was foreign to him, that last line sounded familiar.

Eight temples existed in Hyrule, four dedicated to the goddesses who created the world, and four that were tightly sealed. They couldn't be entered, though the ancient Hylian inscribed on them detailed their names and their apparent purpose of containing guardians that protected the region they were built in. Sure enough, the discovered names were detailed in the book.

"These temples were built in the Farore, Lanayru, Necluda, and Eldin provinces, and were given the names Wetland, Riptide, Ironwill, and Cavern. They would remain sealed until the next clash of the Holders, only accessible by the Aegislash Overseer."

"This was what you have been looking for?" Ganondorf handed the book back to Daemos, who nodded.

"That book you hold is unique; only four copies of it exist in all of Hyrule," he said. "One in the Hateno Library, another in the Nayru Archives, one more in the Arbiter Library, and the last here. It's like people weren't meant to know that the Overseers exist, but some tiny fraction of evidence managed to worm its way out of a quill's tip and onto the page."

"But what does this have to do with the Holders?" Ganondorf asked.

"Everything. Don't you know? The blade of evil's bane is the weapon that helped strike down the Holder of Power during many previous clashes." Daemos tapped the page with a finger, rambling on. "Think about it, a need for knowledge about their power may have caused the Holders to stumble across one of these books. Why else would they have been caught on the eastern side of the Deku Kingdom border, so close to the Wetland Temple? A temple dedicated to a protector of the land, perhaps, but this protector could also be an Overseer. Four temples, four Swords of Justice."

Ganondorf was horribly astonished at the leaps in logic Daemos was making here. This had to have been the result of those sleepless nights. But he didn't want to cross Daemos. "Then what do you want me to do?"

"What I want is for you to send four groups, one to each temple," Daemos said. "The temple groups are to be stationed there until further notice."

If Ganondorf's jaw wasn't clenched so tightly, then it would have dropped open. Was Daemos not aware that his women led lives of their own? "Your Majesty, couldn't this be a job for the soldiers?" Ganondorf asked. "There are more of them, not to mention that my women have grown quite exhausted from this constant searching. You already have them stationed in every major city." In his mind, that was a reasonable objection. There was no reason why he couldn't have asked it.

Daemos' smile died, though his eyes remained wide. "Did you just question me, Dragmire?" he asked breathlessly. "And I thought the idea of summoning the Triforce was yours in the first place. Why would you oppose it?"

"I'm no—"

"Then what is the issue?" That anger began to return to Daemos, lacing his words with stinging acid.

After their conversation following the Holders' escape, Ganondorf knew he was treading on thin ice. He felt as though he just plunged his foot through into freezing waters with this. "M-my apologies," he said. "It'll be done. I'll try to organize the groups tonight and send them out tomorrow."

"I expect them to be sent out tomorrow, no later. That is all I need from you, Dragmire." With that, he returned to his reading. Ganondorf was frankly stunned by what just happened, but he had no time to question things as Incineroar ushered him back out to the hallway. His feet passed over the threshold, and the doors closed behind him.

Ganondorf stumbled back a step, almost falling down the stairs when his stumble proved to be too risky. He caught himself, keeping a hand on the wall to steady himself. His thoughts buzzed like a hive of Beedrill, trying to sort themselves out. But what was clear to him was the heaviness in his chest.

There had barely been a farewell, not even so much as a "have a good evening," or "goodbye." Daemos had never been too busy to spare Ganondorf either of these, even in his most exhausted of states. Why was that the case now? He couldn't have forgotten, Ganondorf thought he was too important to Daemos to be "forgotten" like that.

A frown formed as Ganondorf gritted his teeth. Daemos was doing this because of the Holders. All of this started when Ganondorf had first mentioned the Holders and gave Daemos the Triforce of Power. He thought it would give his dear friend new hope, not an obsession. He held back a sigh as his heart sank further. Was this his fault? Was it wrong to have given Daemos Power?

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro