39| Arbiter

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Zelda's footsteps crunched dully on the sandy ground, lit up bright orange by the baking sun. Sweat dripped down her face, and she wiped it away with a grimace. It felt like she had been walking for days through these empty badlands, which was the case. It had been three, perhaps four days since the group had fled Yiga Canyon, and four days since they last saw Link.

Her heart sank when she thought of Link. She hoped it had been a horrible joke when she learned that he had been captured. Haruo finding the Master Sword abandoned in the canyon was one thing, but when Link failed to show up after everyone regrouped, she realized that it was the truth. At the very least, she and Resa had been able to access the temple, so things had succeeded on their front.

She knew Luce was taking it worse. After all, Link was her partner. Fira stuck as close to Luce as he did with Zelda, trying to comfort her. Zelda couldn't tell if he was helping since Luce had been wearing the same stoney expression since they left the canyon. Fira said she was feeling better, so Zelda would have to trust her Pokémon's word there.

Besides Link's capture, a more visceral blow to the group had been Zoroark's death. Tufts of red and black fur were found among a pool of blood close to where the Master Sword had been left, and the Dark-type was nowhere in sight. They found him buried in a shallow grave close to the cliff wall, though it hadn't been crudely. Whoever had buried him had tried to do it with care, even if it wasn't in an ideal case. This was the only thing that reassured Zelda that there hadn't been maliciousness in the Pokémon's death.

"Return to Hylia, friend," Zelda had heard Arata mutter over the grave, the first time the Sheikah has ever spoken in her presence. "Thank you for your service." Although the Sheikah didn't show outward sorrow for Zoroark, they still mourned. Zelda could see it in how Haruo had been uncharacteristically quiet, and how Ena kept Murkrow a little closer to her than before.

As a much-needed upside to the situation, when it came to the temple, things had gone very well. All Zelda had to do was pass a test of authenticity. Out of all the Overseer's tests, this one had been astonishingly easy. Terrakion was only interested in testing the Holders by seeing if they could effectively utilize their divine powers, so that was what Zelda did. Link's training truly had helped when she demonstrated her more precise moves, and she passed with flying colors.

Terrakion himself was a beast Zelda had seen drawings of before. Built like a wall with large horns and a narrow stare, he was the most imposing of all the Swords of Justice. However, he was the kindest besides Keldeo. With that impression, he had been understanding of the situation the Holders found themselves in.

Haruo had given Zelda the Master Sword before they entered the temple, which was all the proof Terrakion needed to know that the Holder of Courage had indeed awakened to his power. After all, only the Holder of Courage could wield it. Now that all of the Overseers had been released, they were ready to seal the Triforce of Power when the time came.

Call for us, Wisdom, and we will come, Terrakion had said. Those blessed by divinity can hear the call of another blessed, no matter how far away they are. And that was it. Just like that, the goal Zelda and the others had been pursuing for months was accomplished. She wished there could be more fanfare, but it wouldn't have been the same without Link. Even then, it couldn't have been much of a celebration. They still had to engage Daemos.

That night, the group set up came in the shadow of a rocky outcropping, one of the few they were fortunate enough to come across. Murkrow had been sent out to scout the landscape, and according to the Sheikah, it would soon be nothing but sand until they reached Arbiter City.

Zelda couldn't help but shudder when she thought of the city's outskirts. Her family had once been robbed by a criminal who had come from there. He was broke and desperate for money, but that didn't stop him from pointing a knife at her mother. Of course he was quickly apprehended by her father, and the event was over in minutes. That thief had finally been let out of the prison, only to be sent right back again...

She wrapped her blanket tighter around herself, eyes trained on the dying coals of the fire. It was more tragic than scary to Zelda now that she thought about it, but she couldn't forget the worry and fear she felt when the robbery had taken place, much like what she was feeling now. She glanced up, startling as she saw Resa staring at her. Fira jerked awake when Zelda jostled him, and his eyes went wide when he saw Resa.

Did I frighten you both? My apologies, the Overseer said, her sashes curling. I noticed you were awake, Wisdom, but I wasn't sure if I should try to inquire as to why, especially since Fira was still asleep.

I'm not anymore, the Fire-type grumbled. But what were you going to ask my lady Zelda?

Resa hesitated for a moment longer. Then she tentatively asked, You're worried about Courage, aren't you?

Zelda stiffened before nodding, letting out a sigh. I've been worried for days, she responded telepathically so she wouldn't wake the others. I can't help but be concerned. He's so... She trailed off. "Fragile" was the word she wanted to say. Link was fragile, yes, but he was also volatile. While he may have become more conscientious with how he spoke, that was around Zelda and the others, not anybody else, and certainly not any Gerudo.

I'm concerned as well, but he will be fine, I know it, Resa said assuringly. We've seen enough of his tenacity up until this point, so unless something truly awful happens, he'll grin and bear it. Even then, he will continue to fight. He's a tough son of a vai, I can say that for sure.

Fira's ears perked up. Did I hear that right? Vai? he echoed. Isn't that Gerudic? I never expected you to use a figure of speech like that, Overseer.

Resa's sashes fell limp at her sides before the ends rolled up, like fists clenching. Dammit, I let that slip, didn't I? she hissed, wrapping her sashes around her hilt.

Zelda couldn't help but grow suspicious. That doesn't sound strange at all, she said, a slight undertone of sarcasm unintentionally leaking into her words. If you merely spoke the language, that would have prompted a different response. Are you hiding something, Overseer?

Resa looked at the duo, silent. That surely sounded like an accusation, even if Zelda didn't mean it to. I've always been hiding things from you all. But I thought I'd be able to at least keep this secret until this was all over...  she muttered. I suppose I've grown too comfortable with you all if I said something of that sort with no thought beforehand. She laughed, but it held no mirth.

That prompted a question Zelda had for months to resurface, and her eyes widened. Overseer, when you were alive... were you a Gerudo? she asked cautiously.

Resa's sashes tightened around her hilt. I was waiting for one of you to ask that. And the answer is... yes, she admitted. I-I've been worried about telling you all since I know Courage doesn't like us very much, but you've always been more understanding. I feel I could afford to tell you.

Of course! Zelda said. She'd been curious about this for so long, and it seemed like she was going to be receiving an answer. What were you like, Overseer?

That is still something I am not ready to tell you, unfortunately, Resa said. I will tell you, though I will wait until Courage joins us again. She paused, as if hesitating. Do you think Courage would want to hear this? she asked in a more uncertain voice. I-I like our relationship how it is now, and I wish not to damage it with something that so clearly hurts him.

Zelda smiled gently, even if she was saddened by how Resa was worried. I believe he would. You've proven countless times that you're a good person, whether you're a Gerudo or an Aegislash, she said. If that changes because you say you're a Gerudo, then I'll punch him again. She was glad Luce wasn't able to hear that.

I appreciate the optimism, Resa said with a small laugh, and this one held a spark of joy Zelda had been wanting to hear. Zelda's smile widened as her heart warmed. She was glad Resa could bring herself to continue opening up to Zelda and the others, even with everything that was happening. Hopefully, everything else would turn out okay.

—~*~—

The last couple of days had felt like a blur to Link. Besides the shifting of the light outside the tent and Aaira's arrivals and departures, he was blind to the passage of time. Stelle did her healing sessions twice daily, and it was starting to show. The only remnants left of Link's stab wound was a scar to go along with all the others, though the injuries the guards gave him were taking longer to mend.

Aaira never once bothered Link about staying in the tent, even when he was well enough to walk around for at least a few minutes. While he of course couldn't stand being inside like this, he was admittedly too afraid to go out. Even without his aura-sensing, he could easily hear both Gerudo and Pokémon moving about outside. He didn't know if the other Gerudo were as understanding as Aaira, that they wouldn't beat him as well.

But just because Link could tolerate Aaira's presence, that didn't mean that he trusted her. He was fine with what she had to do during healing sessions along with bringing him meals, but he was still plenty leery of her. To his surprise, she was fine with him not contributing to any of the small-talk she made. The woman admitted that she had a habit of simply talking at people since she couldn't stand silence, and through her ramblings, Link had gleaned more about her life.

She had originally lived in Arbiter City but left because her husband, a Gerudo who had long since passed, was part of the trading group. She liked the idea of healing the people in the towns they stopped at since Pokémon with Heal Pulse like Stelle weren't native to the Gerudo and Ikana Provinces. As a result of her traveling, she had accumulated many stories, some of which did intrigue Link a little. They reminded him of things Zelda would say.

As Link and Aaira were having dinner one evening, she decided to share another one of her miscellaneous thoughts. "I'm sure you've this old saying. 'Winds from the west bring death and misfortune,'" she said. "I've always found that one rather humorous. Yes, our winds can be scorching, but north winds are freezing, the eastern winds bring storms, and south winds are horribly humid. No matter what direction they come from, they could bring misfortune and death.

"But these winds are also capable of bringing just as much good. North winds bring relief for a horrid summer, east winds promise rain for crops, and southern winds bring balance to an otherwise dry climate. And the west winds? They carry warmth to relieve the kingdom of winter."

Link frowned. "I know you're sayin' that 'bout me," he said.

"I mean, if that is how you want to see it, then go ahead," Aaira said nonchalantly. "I only mention it because winter will be descending upon Hyrule soon. It's our western winds that will help bring warmth back once spring returns. Do you favor any winds in particular, Illusion?" He shrugged, and she accepted that as his response. "You've been healing up rather nicely, I have to say. You still have at least a few more days ahead of you though."

Link wanted to scowl. A few more days at least? It had definitely been over a week by now, he knew that for a fact. If Zelda and the others hadn't left him behind by now, they would be soon. He had no idea what he would do if they did end up leaving him behind. After all, he had been so sure that an escape would only take him a few days. "Ya don't know the exact number?" he grumbled.

"Unfortunately, I do not. Nobody can predict exactly how long it will take for one to heal. But it's not advisable for you to leave right now, if that is what you're thinking. Unless you wish to get a little sunlight, which I encourage," she said with a smile. She didn't need to tell him that, he was aching to leave.

That night when Aaira had left Link alone, he decided to just chance it and sneak outside. All he needed was a few minutes, and he would be happy to stay inside for the rest of his time here. He made his way to the tent flap and peered out. There was a tent across from him, and there were a couple more close by. Some had the faint glow of orange or yellow luminous stones emanating from within, but there was nobody within his immediate vicinity. Growing more confident, Link left the tent.

The cold night air hit Link instantly as he stood, and he shivered slightly. He had been provided new clothes by Aaira, and they were made to better withstand the day's heat, not the night's cold. This didn't stop Link, and he started making his way towards the camp's outskirts.

Until now, Link had only heard of oases before, he'd never seen one for himself. The classic oasis, palm trees among raised rock to repel wind, all surrounding a lifesaving wellspring of crystalline water. The pond itself had to be further into camp, but Link could say that everything else was here.

He kept an eye out for anybody, ignoring the aching of his healing bones as he walked. The cluster of tents wasn't that small, so it didn't take long for him to reach the edges of the oasis. Waves of sand dunes stretched out for miles ahead of him, only interrupted by the crags of Ikana that encroached from the right. Arbiter City was nestled somewhere among those crags. He hoped the others were still waiting for them.

With a sigh, Link turned his gaze upwards. The sky above him was littered with stars, far more than he had ever seen before. He tried to recall what Zelda had told him and Resa before about the stars. The goddesses had created them to light the way of travelers when the moon couldn't, making trails for people to follow. Link highly doubted that those paths led anywhere, but he could see how one would come to that conclusion. Perhaps there was even one that led to Arbiter City. He felt more confident looking to stars for directions than reading maps.

"Who are you?"

Startled, Link whirled around, instinctively readying an orb of Courage in one hand. He stopped when he was faced with a light-haired Gerudo woman about his age. Her gaze swept over him before her eyes widened.

"You're... the Holder of Courage, aren't you? Najam told me that Aaira was taking care of you, but I didn't actually think he was being serious." She stared at the orb Link held but still offered him her hand. "I-I'm Seeán. I help care for our Cufant and Copperajah. Does Aaira know you're out here?"

She didn't seem immediately hostile, so Link dissolved the orb, if only to not make her feel the need to attack him. He shook his head. "Don't tell her I was," he said sharply. I was just sick of bein' in that tent all day."

Seeán frowned when Link didn't shake her hand but didn't say anything about it. "Who wouldn't be? I sure as hell wouldn't wanna be stuck inside when I could be out here. I mean, why not soak up the sunlight when ya can? Or I guess I should say the moonlight. "

Link didn't know what to say or how to react in this situation. He was frankly put-off by how openly friendly Seeán was being, and she seemed to notice it.

"Sorry, am I being a bit much? Don't feel bad if ya think so, people say I'm too outgoing all the damn time." She then grinned. "Hey, the other younger people in the camp are having a bonfire right now, tellin' ghost stories and all that other childish stuff. I came out here 'cause I wanted a bit of fresh air. But maybe you'd wanna join us?"

"Hell no," Link spat. What made her think he would want to keep talking with her, much less be around more Gerudo?

Seeán's eyebrows disappeared under her bangs. "Wow, didn't think I'd get a response like that, but alright. Ghost stories kinda spook me too. Not the biggest fan."

Did she really just assume that from Link's response? "I'm not scared. What makes ya think I'm scared?"

"Because who wouldn't wanna spend a night out under the stars?" she replied. "Basically everyone here wants to meet ya too, so it works out. Unless you're, y'know... scared."  A sly smirk curled her lips up.

"And I'm not." Link walked past Seeán back towards the tents, glaring at her over his shoulder. "Where's the fire? I got stories that'll scare the shit outta ya more than ghosts ever could, 'cause they're true." He was aware he'd fallen right into Seeán's trap, but he couldn't back out now.

Seeán grinned and hurried to catch up with him. "Sounds great! Now follow me."

—~*~—

The first sign Zelda got that proved the Arbiter City outskirts were a bad place was the smell in the air. Yes, the smell. Garbage and other rotting materials, Pokémon musk, unwashed bodies, the stench of burning anything, it all hung in the air like a thick smog. Zelda was glad she'd been given one of Ena's spare masks, because besides hiding her identity, it better filtered the air.

Arbiter City's outskirts may as well be a town in itself. In place of stone buildings were tents and structures constructed with shabby wood. Fire pits burned freely in the streets, which were no wider than an average city's alleyway. Ratatta scampered about along with other vermin Pokémon, sometimes being chased by the outskirts inhabitants. At first. Zelda thought it was for their own amusement, but the meat she saw roasting over the fires made her think differently.

Those who dwelled here were as shabby as the buildings. Hylians, Rito, and Gerudo alike were dressed in dark, often dirty clothing, moving about the streets with a purpose only they knew. Hulking humanoid creatures that looked like they were hewn from stone—Gorons—hauled things around or walked alongside other people as bodyguards. Zelda was shocked to even see a few children running about.

She grimaced as she accidentally stepped into a watery mud puddle. At least, that was what she hoped it was. "I've heard that the outskirts here were bad, but I didn't think they were this awful," she whispered to Haruo, who stuck close to her.

"When you don't have a family or any prospects after you're released from prison, where else would you go?" the Sheikah replied grimly. "My mother and father grew up here, and they managed to get discovered by Impa and brought to Kakariko. They're some of the few lucky ones."

Awful, simply awful... Zelda knew she shouldn't be looking around so much, but she couldn't help it. She was fortunate she was mostly hidden, or else she would have been called out sooner. She stood in the center of the group as the others surrounded her like a shield. Having Fira cling to her was already enough, so this bordered on the edge of stifling. This was one of the times she hated not being a capable melee fighter like Link and Luce.

It thankfully didn't take long for shelter to be secured. Ena and Arata had found what seemed like an abandoned shack that snugly fit everybody. When it turned out that the shack really wasn't abandoned, Arata had paid the Hylian inhabitant off with a good amount of the money they'd brought along with her blanket. According to her sister, Arata preferred sleeping in the cold, but Zelda insisted she take her blanket since Fira could keep her warm. With shelter having been acquired, the slightest bit of calmness could descend upon the group.

Now that we're here, I suggest we just lay low until Link gets here, Resa said. That means we do not leave the vicinity of this shack or interact with the, erm, locals unless it is needed.

"Then what are we supposed to do this entire time?" Ena asked. "A group of four people and three Pokémon sitting in here is awfully suspicious."

It appeared Resa had already thought of that. You three I would like patrolling the outskirts each day to see if Link arrives. I will stay here along with Wisdom, Luce, and Fira. And as for Murkrow, the Dark-type glanced at Resa, may you deliver a message detailing the situation to Impa? We don't need reinforcements, not yet. Like I said, we need to lay low.

"Understood," the Sheikah chorused before leaving the shack, Murkrow following behind them. In seconds, they were swallowed by the crowd. Zelda closed the door behind them and settled back down on her bedroll in the corner, daring to lean against the wall. Fira didn't press himself against Zelda like before, thankfully staying a few inches away. His heat wasn't needed in the day.

Zelda was relieved she wouldn't have to be alone. She'd be more afraid than she already was if that was the case. This place was truly nothing like Hateno Village or any other city she'd been to. She could imagine that Link would feel right at home here, and she could afford to cower behind him as long as she put on a brave face. Of course, she had to do it herself, like she always had to.

A relatively quiet day passed with little notable activity, which Zelda was relieved about. Staying under wraps was the best course of action. But of course, it wasn't to last. In the late morning of the following day, Haruo came rushing back to the shack along with Luce. Both were slightly out of breath from running so quickly, and Luce instantly started barking something to Fira. Zelda looked at her partner as he listened, her heart leaping in excitement and worry.

They might have something, he translated, and Zelda's worry briefly faded.

We should wait for the others, Resa said, and Haruo sank to the floor, muttering a breathless "thanks." Wincing in sympathy, Zelda handed him his canteen. For a Sheikah, he wasn't as agile as Zelda thought. She tended to him until Ena and Arata returned. They seemed calmer than the first pair, but they still looked like they had something to say.

"You're back as well?" Ena asked, glancing at Haruo. "I'll take a guess that we may have heard the same information."

"I dunno, let's find out," he said. "Luce and I heard word going around the southeast section that there was a breakout at the Gerudo-Ikana Fortress a couple nights ago. A high-value prisoner had escaped."

Ena nodded, looking satisfied. "We heard the same thing in the southwest section, except there was more." Her brow furrowed. "A guard was found dead in a cave near the fortress. Despite the guard having been strangled, there was a trail of blood leading out into the desert. It ended quickly since the sand had blown over it."

Zelda covered her mouth to stifle a small gasp as silence fell over the group. In her peripheries, Luce's eyes widened. She knew what Luce was thinking, what they all were thinking.

"Do you think that blood..." Zelda feared to say the rest.

Ena shrugged, her nervous gaze darting to Zelda. "It could be, it also could not be. Remember, this is all rumors we heard. The few guards assigned to the outskirts have been muttering about it."

And if that blood did belong to Courage? Resa said. Silence again, more uneasy than the previous. Zelda wanted to think that Link was okay, but her worry returned and began to grow. There was that potentially deadly "what-if" that made her stomach sink, and she couldn't help but consider it.

"Rio!" Luce barked, her lip curled up into a snarl as she pointed at the door. She stared at Resa, who held up her sashes defensively.

You don't need to tell me, I agree as well. She turned to address the rest of the group. I hate to say this, but we need to change our course of action. Courage may be out there, injured and in need of help. I say we should go search for him, since the fortress is only a day's walk from here.

Zelda was shocked. Was Resa serious? They had only just arrived here, and already they were leaving?

"I don't mean to disagree, but is this a good idea?" Haruo asked, stiffening as Luce shot daggers at him with a smoldering gaze. She barked, nodding frantically.

As Luce says, he's strong, but he isn't immortal, Resa said. Although Murkrow is still gone, we have four skilled Aura-sensors here. If we try, we may have a chance. And if that still does not sound like it would work out, we can split up. Half of us will stay here, and the other half will search.

Zelda didn't know what to say or think, struggling to do either. Her mind begged her to go search for Link, and why shouldn't she? She couldn't help but consider the legends and stories, how the hero always needed the help of his allies in his darkest hour. He owed his life to them after he saved them so many times. And Resa was right, they could find Link, it was feasibly possible.

"We should—" She stopped herself, her words fortunately coming out faint enough that the others didn't hear her. There was something that nagged at her, and that thing was Link himself. He wouldn't agree with this at all. Not only would he not like how the others thought he couldn't handle things himself, he wouldn't like how Zelda decided to do it because it was something she'd read in stories. She would have dismissed it because of Link's too-stubborn pride, but there was that second factor.

For so long, Zelda had been battling her preconceived notions about how all of this would turn out. It only made sense that the events of the legends would repeat themselves again, yet she had been proven wrong again and again. Part of her told her that it would surely work out this time while the rest disagreed. Confusion and confusion roiled in her, igniting Nayru's essence. She stifled it, forcing the energy back down as she breathed through clenched teeth. She had to decide.

She took a breath, trying to emulate how she'd seen Link act while he was meditating, then took another. As she breathed, her racing heart began to slow. The slightest of calms swept over her, and her thoughts were able to clear a little. There was the thought she had been wrestling with. You win, Link. For a moment, she decided to give in. She... had to look at this realistically.

"W-we can't. We have to stay here," she said. The talking ceased as Luce's head whipped to face her, her eyes narrowing. Fira tried to avert Luce's glare, only to be pierced by it himself. He shrunk back behind Zelda, ears flattened to his head. "I'm sorry, but that is what I believe we should do," Zelda continued. "Overseer, you said it yourself, we should trust Link."

Resa balked, her sashes stiffening. This was before I learned that he could possibly be dead, she said. Everything would fall through if he died, everything we've done would be for nothing!

Zelda winced. "I-I know. I want to go as well, really! But we agreed to wait for him here, and that is what we need to do. What if he makes it here? If we're split up, we might not be able to find him. You and I can't go out there because we may be caught, and if we stay here while you all go out, we may be caught off-guard. If this was earlier in the mission when we didn't have all of Hyrule's guards after us, then I would be more than happy to take that chance. But we can't afford to now. The best thing for Link would be to wait for him here, and because he may be injured, we may need to wait more than a week. For now, we should stick with what we planned before but simply keep in mind that Link may take longer."

Resa struggled to reply for a few moments. Zelda could faintly hear her choking on what she was trying to say. Then she coiled her sashes around herself, appearing resigned. I... I can see your point of view, she said. I myself have preached secrecy, and yet I was ready to drop everything.

"It's because you care about both him and the mission, Overseer," Zelda said. "It's more than just one, it's both."

Still, Resa wasn't satisfied. I still believe we should try to do something in case things do turn out for the worst.

"Maybe we could send Murkrow out to look when he comes back? He's no Aura-sensor, but he travels fast with his Tailwind and could scan the desert around the fortress," Haruo said. Luce seemed just as ready to go out as well right then, and that was what she likely intended to do. Sadly, that couldn't happen.

"You have to stay here, Luce," Zelda said. "When Link gets here, the first thing he'll want to do is make sure you're okay. How could you say that if you're out in the desert looking?"

Still, Luce shook her head and turned to leave the shack. She was stopped by Fira putting a paw on her shoulder as he tried to speak to her. With a whimper, Luce clenched her eyes shut and buried her face in her paws. Zelda wanted to ask if there was something she could do, but Fira told her he could handle it, and she reluctantly accepted it.

So overall... I suppose nothing has changed, Resa said, shrugging her sashes. I still request that everyone continue to sweep the outskirts for Courage. But if you don't feel like you can carry on any longer today, I understand.

"If anything, we should stay out longer in case there are any changes to the rumors," Ena said. "We will be just fine, Overseer." The Sheikah's companions nodded.

I wish you all luck, then, Resa said. Once the Sheikah had departed along with Murkrow, Resa turned to Zelda. I'm... surprised you said that, she said. It isn't at all like you.

Zelda shouldn't have been shocked to hear that. How strange her words must have seemed to everybody. "I couldn't help but try to think differently this time," she replied. "More like Link."

An admirable action, though are you sure that's the greatest idea? Resa said. You know how he can be. A smile crept onto Zelda's face; she was sure Resa was trying to joke with her.

"It depends on the situation," she said.  Things like this... need balance." That made her think. Was that what she needed? A balance between her hopes and Link's constant focus on realism? Surprisingly, the thought made her feel better than usual. She decided to try it again. I suppose you were right, Link, she thought. Now hurry back so we're both not proven wrong.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro