8. Blast from the Past

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

While stealing glances to his right, Jack wondered why Britney looked so familiar. Britney wondered how they even got in this mess. Pop music played on the radio as the two were lost in thought. The next song that came up was a blast from the past...

Jack's eyes widened in surprise, and Britney shifted in her seat. "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones played on the radio. The song unleashed memories from the forbidden past...

Not long ago, when Britney was still in high school, she prepared for the dance to end all high school dances. Senior Prom.

It was back then, before the pink streak and the chopped bangs decorated her hair, that she twirled around her room. Her hair was all ready; shiny and angelic curls bounced on her shoulders as she danced on her own.

"I'm going to the dance with the most handsome guy!" she squealed. She swooned, closing her eyes and putting her hands together next to her cheek. Tonight would bring endless possibilities, her mind and heart anticipated something new.

Instantly, she opened her eyes. She still hadn't picked out her dress! She opened her closet and searched through the couple of dresses she had. This one was way too yellow. This one was way too sparkly-- she didn't want to blind her date! Her eyes landed on a pepper black gown. Maybe if she combined it with a choker... but would that be too gothic? The theme tonight was Hollywood after all. Sighing, her hands arrived on the last dress. Pulling it out, she realized there couldn't have been a more perfect choice.

The hanger held a nude-colored gown, sequined with pearls and gold. The dress had a pair of dove grey transparent cap sleeves and a flowing mermaid skirt of the same color and texture starting at the knees. It also had a sweetheart neckline.

The senior girl's eyes sparkled. It was utterly perfect. Nude was a daring color, especially for her, but the embellished pearls and gold distracted the viewer without blinding them. She simply couldn't wait to dance in it!

Next, she sat on a chair in front of her vanity and began to do her makeup. She decided to go for a natural look. In the end, she added a bit of glittery eyeshadow to compliment with her dress. She brushed her eyelashes with lengthening mascara. She admired how the dark mascara made her blue eyes pop. Next, she painted her lips deep coral red.

The final step included shoes and accessories. She slipped on a pair of nude peep-toe high heels, pinned a duo of sparkly golden flowers on the opposite side of her side-swept bangs, and put on a wide gold-colored cuff bracelet on her right wrist. Lastly, she lifted her hair to put on a silver necklace featuring a shiny modest-sized opal on the front.

She closed her eyes and inhaled. She let out the breath as she opened her eyes and smiled at herself in the mirror. Ready!

"You made it!" beamed the senior with golden curls, taking in the way the sleek black tuxedo made her date look extra-handsome.

"Of course I did," he smiled, running a hand through his equally sleek black hair. His date fit in perfectly with the theme; both of them did.

Together, they walked into the school gymnasium. Tonight, it took on the role of a ballroom.

The pearls on the girl's gown resembled the rows of strings of lights festooned on the ceiling. Tables were set on one side of the vast room. Each table had four chairs around it, and each table had a white tablecloth on top. Balloons were tied together at one corner of the room, forming an arch for photographers to take pictures of couples.

After taking their picture under the balloon arch, the senior couple walked forward so the next couple could take their picture. They had arrived at a perfect time. It wasn't crowded, and yet it wasn't empty either. Some seniors stood around talking, others sat at the tables. A couple groups were already on the dancefloor.

The swooned delicately over one another until at last one spoke up.

"Brianna, may I have this dance?" the gentleman asked softly, his blue eyes piercing into her heart and his sideways smirk making the butterflies in her stomach flutter.

"Yes you may, Jack," she smiled just as softly.

Brianna held out her hand and Jack took it. Together, they stepped out into the dancefloor. They faced one another as Brianna rested her hand on Jack's shoulder, and he placed his own hand upon her waist.

The light radiated off the pearly sequins on her gown as "Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones played. They stepped to beat, slowly swaying left and right.

Now was as good as a time as ever to confess, thought Brianna. Her heart awaited endless possibilities.

"I love you, Jack," she disclosed softly while losing herself in his deep blue eyes.

He smiled, that sideways smirk tugging at his lips again. "I love you too, Brianna."

Brianna gasped softly. Suddenly, they stopped swaying.

"May I..." Jack said tentatively.

Brianna blushed lightly. "Yes, you may."

There it was, the moment she'd long awaited. Her first kiss!

She lifted her chin upwards as he leaned down, their lips just inches away.

VRRRBB...

The romantic look in Jack's eyes faded, and the parting in his lips disappeared. He brought his head back up and pulled his phone out of his pants pocket.

Disappointed, Brianna took back her former posture. Except for this time, her head fell a bit farther. She watched as Jack opened a message, and slid her gaze up to his face.

At last, he gave a deep sigh and turned away from his date.

"Sorry Brianna, but I have to go," he said curtly.

"Oh... um, it's fine," she made her best attempt not to sound as discouraged as she felt. She raised her shoulders and rubbed her arms, suddenly feeling cold. They didn't even get to kiss.

Not even one last hug? she thought as she watched him make his way through the crowd and out the exit.

The knot forming in her throat choked her to tears. She covered her mouth, trying desperately to drown her hiccuping sob. The tears escaped her eyes, burning with mascara as they rolled down her cheeks.

All the while, she couldn't help but think: Why couldn't he just stay? What could be more important than HER, his date?

At last, she took a deep breath and exhaled. There was no use crying, she thought. She'd find out where he went. She would.

Jack angrily made his way to the dimly lit parking lot. Hell, he didn't even last thirty minutes at the dance.

He walked up to the car parked closest to the campus. A young lady with medium-length wild wavy honey blonde hair wearing a black fishnet shirt, tight grey shorts, and black knee-high boots shuffled through the trunk of her car.

"Natalie," he snapped. "What's the emergency that you had to interrupt me at prom?"

She turned around a gave a frustrated sigh. "Jack, we're paranormal researchers. We don't have time for little school events."

He hated the way she said the last part in a mocking tone. Jack shook his head and rolled his eyes.

"Come on," she punched his arm lightly. Her frown had disappeared. "Help me pack everything into the car."

There was no use getting mad, he thought. Reluctantly, he bent down to pick up the equipment that had rolled out of the trunk.

Not far from the parking lot stood Brianna. She swiveled her head left and right. Where could he be? Perhaps he was in the parking lot, she thought. She walked on forward.

"Ok, that's all the equipment," Jack proclaimed, clapping the dust away from his hands.

Natalie grunted.

"What's wrong-"

"Jack, help me lock this dumb briefcase," she told him while pushing her weight on top of the briefcase.

"It can't be THAT hard to close it," Jack argued incredulously. Nevertheless, he stepped closer to her and the briefcase.

Just as Natalie saw Brianna approach them from the distance, she swiftly turned around to pull Jack down by his tuxedo jacket and into a deep kiss.

"Mmmff-!" Jack forcefully pulled away and saw his stunned date standing a few feet away. "Brianna!"

Brianna slowly shook her head, tears forming in her eyes. "Jack, how could you?" she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Brianna, please. It's not what you think," he reached out to grab her shoulders, but she smacked his hand away.

Sobbing, she yelled, "I hate you! I'll NEVER speak to you again!" At last, she ran away in tears.

"Please let me explain!" Jack called. "It's not what it looks like!"

He stepped forward to chase her, but Natalie held out an arm to block him. "Don't," she said.

"BRIANNA!!" Tears welled up in his own eyes. Turning to Natalie he shrugged in disbelief. "Why? Why did you do that?"

Natalie crossed her arms and leaned back. "I had to make her think something else. Otherwise, she'd ask too many questions. Come on now, we're late."

Natalie caught Jack as he took one last mourning look at the campus, and she added, "Don't even bother getting yourself out of this one. She'll never believe you." With that, she shut the trunk and got into the driver's seat.

Recalling the bitter memory caused a scowl to cast itself over Britney's face.

"Jack, I don't want to go to jail," she complained.

He sighed deeply. "I'm sorry, but you have to. I don't make the rules here."

Britney rolled her eyes. There had to be a way to persuade him. Should she bribe him? No, she didn't have enough money. Seducing him could work... She bit her lip hard as punishment for even considering it. Finally, she decided to threaten him.

"Jack."

"What," he said with indifference, keeping his eyes firmly on the road.

"You love your sister Lena, right?" she spoke slowly and calmly.

"Of course I do. More than anything."

"Don't you think she'd be disappointed in you if you were to throw her most trusted friends into jail?"

"Well, I-"

Here, she let a bit of her fury show by speaking at a faster pace. "She needs us. You think we're a bunch of hooligans, don't you? Well, we're not. We were there for a reason. A friend of a friend is in danger and we're only helping. If you turn us in, things might get ugly. I highly suggest you act as though nothing happened."

A brief moment of silence passed as Jack stared pensively into the road ahead. He really didn't want to betray Lena. After all, her friends hadn't exactly done anything wrong. If what Britney said was true, then they were working for a noble cause.

"I... I guess I can do that..." he submitted.

Britney held her head a little higher. "Good," she commented. "Now please drop us off at the Harlequin Restaurant."

A/N: You've made it this far. If you're enjoying the story, please give it a star! It really means a lot to us authors ^-^ Thanks for reading!!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro