4 NO TRUE OGRE

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

An ogre's world was tinged in what humans described as pink, Fanli came to know upon practicing her human form. What a sad state. For her human eyes perceived no tinted outlook.

Nothing was vivid now. Colors were dull, sounds were dull, scents were dull. Even her sense of touch was stilted, she'd come to realize when she raised her hand and saw the mosquito on her forearm.

She let it bite her.

Good. That meant even the bugs were fooled.

As a consequence of her infrequent transformation over the years, Fanli needed time to regain her bearings.

It wasn't by chance she was out in the woods for this endeavor. A true ogre only took on human form for one thing...to trick prey into an unguarded state in order to feed.

She dared not allow anyone to know her real purpose.

"How is it?" Bati asked. "How do you feel?"

Out of all ogres Fanli knew, her sister, Bati was the only one able to keep her human form for weeks. She was going on six months now, living in the forest.

An ogre unguarded by the safety of the others were said to have sat down and wept until they died if legend were to be believed.

When their parents had discovered Bati, however, she hadn't wept. Mother had. Father'd said nothing, too ashamed to even utter a word.

It was Mother who'd marched to Bati's treasure trove and uprooted it, humiliating her by destroying all she held dear.

Fanli hadn't watched, it was too disturbing. From the cave, she'd witnessed countless objects flung from the mount. It hadn't worked. Instead of Bati accepting the offense, she'd marched after her gifts, stepped over them, and headed into the forest.

That was three months ago, and she seemed hellbent on not going back. If she could really sustain a human shape for this long, however, Fanli had to learn the how.

Bati watched her in admiration. "It doesn't look bad. You'll have to take some muscle out of those arms, though. The legs you can keep as is for now until you get used to it."

Fanli tried to comply, but it was to no avail. She nearly lost the transformation entirely.

"Okay. Hold off on the arms," Bati insisted. "It'll be one less thing to think about. But keep it in mind that human females simply do not have as much muscle in their arms—almost none."

"Right." Fanli's voice still vibrated when she spoke. Just one more thing to practice. She cleared her throat and tried again. "Right."

"And did you put up the repellent scent? It won't reach humans; it'll just keep vermin and bugs from you."

"Oh, there's so much to remember!" Fanli closed her eyes but gave up. "I'll do it later after I get the arms. It's only for a short while."

"All right. That's fine." Bati took a step back.

Bati wore dull gray colors in her dress which Fanli was disappointed to find true in even her now human eyes. It contrasted greatly with her sister's proud smile.

"How do I keep this? I've never been able to last more than an hour," Fanli complained.

"Easy." Bati turned her around and shoved her toward the village. "You head into hostile territory. Panic will help you maintain it."

Panic was the perfect word. Fanli looked back at her. "You're not coming with me? What if I can't manage it?"

With the wave of her hands, Bati ushered her on. "Try not to trip. Although, that pain would probably help keep you in that form easier anyhow."

It was a joke, but sometimes Fanli couldn't tell. One thing was true, Wen's unused dresses fit well. Fear of discovery drove her to leave her brightest treasure hidden but one day she'd use it. Thanks to the enchanted nature of even this treasure that she wore, she was able to pull the small dress out using sheer will power.

It was a bit shorter than she'd expected but each attempt to use her magic came to naught. Her human form simply couldn't access it.

"No matter," she decided. It was still a pretty frock on a pretty human girl.

Shoes were a problem. She had none.

It was only when she reached the village that she realized something terrible about being in this human body—she had nowhere to go.

Not without shoes. The six toes on each foot made certain of that. Anyone with some knowledge of ogres would recognize what she was right away just by that alone.

And anywhere ogres inhabited was off limits for obvious reasons.

That left one place—the hunchback's.

Instead of matted and twisty black hair, Fanli sported a beautiful black mane which she combed back before knocking.

Today, she was greeted by a curious face. The hunchback's wife blinked at her several times. Once or twice, the woman opened her mouth to greet a stranger but paused.

Fanli's heart raced. Could she recognize her? Even in this face? That spoke of great affection.

So instead of announcing herself, Fanli stood still, fingers tugging at the dress in anticipation.

"Mother? Who is it?" Wen called from beyond the door.

"I—" Her mother paused then admitted, "I don't know."

Fanli's smile fell.

She cursed herself for that stupid reaction. Of course no one would recognize a dress they'd made nearly eight years ago.

The woman's face lit up. "Fanli! Is that you? You always play with your dress like that. But why the new look?" She gasped then dragged Fanli inside, admonishing in a whisper, "Are you hunting!"

After the door closed, Fanli smiled. Getting the teeth right had taken some time. As a consequence, some remnants of her fangs remained.

"Oh, Mother. Stop it. It's all the trend now," Wen gushed. "You look neat!"

Fanli tried to smile at her but in truth, she was too busy studying Wen's form.

Now, Fanli realized she'd overdone it with the shorter height. Wen was rather tall, and popular for it. And as she came from the Jaffo clan, a warrior tribe, she wore her muscles with pride.

A glance at her own bicep then Wen's left Fanli somewhat relieved. Hers were still the very real telltale signs of an ogre but Wen's were bigger than most humans.

Eye color. Wen's were blue. Fanli forgot to ask Bati which color she'd chosen.

All thoughts fell to finding a mirror, it was awful seeing herself reflected back but she could stomach it for a moment, but Wen grabbed her by the arm and shouted to her mother, "We'll go help father with the chores!" and set off through the backdoor.

The chilly autumn air was usually Fanli's favorite part of the year but now, without tougher skin to keep her warm, she was miserable outside.

"Are you cold?" Wen asked.

She sported no coverings, in fact, her dress resembled Fanli's greatly.

"Thought you didn't like dresses," Fanli said, directing the question away from her own shortcomings.

Wen smiled a row of perfect teeth at her and offered a nudge. "A lot of things change when Abri comes into the mix."

Fanli's stomach sank.

The hunchback's house was one of the biggest in the entire valley. It wasn't big with regards to the house itself, but instead, the farm beyond the woods. They followed a well-used path through the trees and came to an open field.

Two men rode horses and Wen scoffed, "They're supposed to be doing chores. Mother will have their hides!"

A wooden fence kept the horses in. It now served to keep out Wen and Fanli who rested forward against it.

In human form, Fanli could hardly keep up with the animal's speed. It wasn't to say her gaze couldn't follow. She certainly could, but she had no way of anticipating its sudden turns. As an ogre, she could see more colors which helped when there was a spike in the adrenaline of others who planned to change directions abruptly. It made combat interesting and nearly impossible for a human to survive.

Finding yet another skill dulled in this form set her pulse racing. Panic. Bati was right.

This was nothing short of it. She was vulnerable. It was like walking around smothered in blood in a den of lions.

She rolled both fists in an effort to stave off any maddening thoughts.

Tinged in the hysterics was daring and excitement. She could see the advantage in an ogre masquerading as something else in order to make a catch.

One thought occurred and it quelled her fear. This was temporary. It would end soon. Either on its own or with her changing back. By nightfall, she'd be home, safely in a cave, safely near her treasure, and not vulnerable to being killed in broad daylight.

Wen said something but Fanli missed it. "Sorry?"

But Wen brushed her long black hair back and did not speak again for some time. Finally, she turned to Fanli entirely. "I want to ask a favor of you."

Fanli took her in.

A part of her wished Wen didn't live so close. Her beauty would be easy to mimic. It would probably look far more authentic.

"But you'll probably laugh," Wen said, turning to watch her father and brother ride.

More as a distraction than anything else, Fanli matched her posture.

"I hardly have the capacity for laughter."

Wen chuckled. "Well, you might. And of course, I'll pay. I'll more than pay. Especially if you keep it between us."

Pay? What did she know about paying an ogre?

Without another word, Wen turned and ran back toward the house and Fanli watched after her. Her speed was exceptional but not as fast so Fanli gauged how quickly she should run in this form. There was simply so much to think about.

Fatigue set in and she found herself trembling. No. No. No. For one, losing control now would have her returning to her normal form, not only rendering her naked, but ruining her dress. She didn't have many in this good quality.

"Best if you don't keep it so long," a voice said. "You'll bruise your eyes that way. That's what Pop always says."

Fanli turned and met upon a monster.

She rarely saw much of Vedel lately. Like most Jaffo, he was a hulking six feet with muscles abound.

Despite the stone expression of his face, his voice was gentle.

Their interactions were few though they knew one another. The fact that he recognized her now brought the panic back.

"Jaffo can smell ogres," Vedel explained.

Fanli's spirits sank. "Yes. I suppose they can."

"But you look real pretty."

"Ved?" the hunchback called, hurrying to them. "What's wrong?"

Ved pursed his lips and shook his head. "Nothing. Just practicing looking for prey."

His wink made Fanli flinch. The smile to accompany it did nothing to dull the fear spreading through her.

His father watched after him as he, while running, mounted the horse and took off.

That left the two of them.

Wyrn was the name of the hunchback and although no one would believe it, he was the king of their entire valley.

So, it was more than surprising when he looked up at her and said, "Hello, baby ogre. How are you today?"

Fanli managed a slight nod. This was a man her father often ranted about eating alive if not for his true form being so dangerous. Like most things in the valley, Wyrn appeared human, but wasn't. All ogres knew him on sight and the stories of his power forced a calm over the villages and mountains alike. Therefore, it seemed so strange for him to be this friendly.

"Forgive Ved's poor joke. But he is right about one thing, you don't want to stay that way too long."

"Father, please. Stop talking to my friends!"

Wen thundered towards them and Wyrn raised both hands in surrender and walked way.

"Okay," Wen said, huffing. "Now, my dumb-dumb twin says ogres like gifts. Gifts given with affection. I'll give you one. A real good one, if...if you'll help me."

Fanli knew human females probably didn't get this interested in talks of treasure, so she tried to lean back against the fence in what she hoped was a casual enough way.

"Here."

The gold of the necklace was plain but it was the gemstone inside that had Fanli's lips parting.

"Fairy jewels." Fanli took it with caution. Her eyes stayed fixed on it for some time before she met Wen's gaze. Something was troubling about that unreadable expression.

Something sparked in Wen's eyes and Fanli's interest in the gift vanished. Fairy talk meant one person.

"Pest."

Wen scowled. "Don't call him Pest. That's a terrible name." She leaned forward and rested against the fence. "Abri sounds much more daring."

Fanli bit back a groan. Whatever it was, she wasn't interested. That was what she meant to convey when she opened her mouth, but Wen's voice cut her off.

"He—he's changed," When said, speaking into her chest.

This got Fanli's attention, and she hated herself for it. Pest—Abri had made his choice. Deep down, a part of her held out hope. With this necklace in her hand, however, that hope was unnecessary.

"I need you to teach me etiquette," Wen said, making Fanli's eyes bug.

"Pardon?"

Wen turned to her with a groan. "Oh, stop. Don't make me beg. I know my mother taught you."

She had. But that was because her own daughter didn't care a lick for it.

"My willfulness as a child is coming back to haunt me," Wen explained. "She said I'd need it one day. I thought I never would. But now here I am...in need of it."

Fanli looked this human woman up and down, annoyed. Wen'd had everything at her fingertips and wanted none of it. Dresses, she'd thrown away, practice of posture, she'd laughed to scorn. Table manners, she'd intentionally wreck with her brother. In fact, she acted more like an ogre than Fanli herself.

A burn started in the base of Fanli's spine, and it took everything in her to will the transformation to keep.

What Fanli wanted to do was turn to her and admonish her pride. Wen literally lived under the same roof as a princess, her mother. It took only one humble gesture to gain help from the source.

This was stubborn arrogance.

And Fanli'd put a stop to it.

"I think Abri's losing interest in me," Wen muttered in confession. They both fell silent until she picked her head up and told Fanli directly, "So I need your help to make him see that I'm not just swords and swears. I—I can get some polish to me."

Fanli hadn't meant to step back. The shock of Wen's words solidified the human transformation.

After clenching her jaw several times, Fanli finally said, "If he doesn't want you, there are plenty of others who'd jump at the chance."

Eyes cast down, Wen rested back against the fence, hands crossed, rubbing her arms as she confessed, "It's a little too late for that now. We've already made some stupid decisions." At the silence, she met eyes with Fanli and said, "And I'd take this job if I were you. Otherwise, my father's patrol might hear about some girl ogre living in the forest. Ved is very thorough in his scouting. You know...always ready to help a damsel in distress. Or take down a hunting ogre trying to lore men to their deaths...."

Fanli's face heated. "That—you misunderstand. My sister's not—of course she's not."

"Well, of course she's not," Wen chimed, taking great interest in her fingernails. "But between your words or mine, who do you think people are going to believe?"

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro