16. Memories and Mourning

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Disclaimer- I do not own any of the characters they all belong to Rick Riordan and Greek Mythology

The next morning camp had a sombre atmosphere about it. While many of us had spent years chasing down Orion looking to make him pay some of us also spent the same amount of time as his sisters. Fighting with him, practicing with him and eating with him; the first male many of us trusted after joining the hunters. Him being killed, by his own mother no less, has come as a shock. While many of us were saying how we would kill him chances are none of us would without a little remorse; even then we would have made it quick and honourable. We would have given him a proper burial, rather than left him to rot surrounded by other dead creatures as if he was nothing other than another one of them.

As I made my way to the dining tent I saw Phoebe, Amelia, Holly and Alish also making their way towards the dining tent with their shoulders hunched and expressions of sorrow mirroring my own. We nodded at each other in greeting none of us wanting to talk. The dining tent wasn't filled with conversation, celebration or encouragement, instead there was a feeling of loss and sadness from the older hunters and understanding from the younger ones who, while they had not known Orion before his curse, knew that he meant much to the hunt and Artemis. We got ourselves some food and went and sat at our table. Just as we did Artemis herself walked in. She was clearly upset and looked as if she'd been crying. "Girls," she said, "I know many of you know Orion as a bloodthirsty monster I remember him as the friend and brother he was. I remember him for his excellent marksmanship and kindness so today those who remember him or those who are curious are free to have a day of rest and share stories and memories of our lost brother." As Artemis made her announcement she was clearly holding back tears as was I and others around the tent.

After breakfast, which consisted of mostly picking at our food and only eating very little of it we all gathered in the centre of camp around the fire pit. The 15 odd hunters that were still around from when Orion was here along with many of the new hunters and Artemis joined us. Our wolves came up as well and we prepared to share with our new sisters and remember with our old ones the times we had with Orion. "Is everyone comfortable?" Phoebe asked. When everyone nodded she continued, "Then we'll begin."

Artemis took a deep breath, "When I found him on Apollo and I's birth place, the sacred island of Delos, I was angry. I though he was a disgusting mortal man that had been 'exploring' and stumbled upon the island. When I discovered he was a giant, the giant to oppose me and my brother even, I was furious. I shot a warning arrow hitting just in front of him he turned around. That was when I noticed that his eyes were strange and that he had a bow on his back, a knife in his belt and had scars covering his body. He had called out, who's there, before his eyes narrowed in on me. He quickly apologized for trespassing and said he just needed somewhere to rest. He told me that whilst he was a giant he didn't agree with his mother Gaea and had not participated in the war, instead he had journeyed to the kingdom of Chios and become King Oinopin's royal hunter due to his skills in both Archery and hunting. He told me of how great his life was but of how, when he requested to court Oinopin's daughter, Merope, he was exiled and blinded. He was forced to stumble around blind for decades before Hephaestus found him and built him his mechanical eyes and gifted him his bow. I had been intrigued by his story and requested for him to show me his skills with a bow and I was impressed to say the least. I made him swear that if I allowed him into the hunt he would respect you girls and he was eager to comply. I brought him here after he swore on my conditions." We were all surprised by her story as none of us had actually heard of how she had come about Orion and were disgusted at how the king had reacted when Orion confessed his love as while we do dislike males those who were courteous and loyal were not all bad and he did not deserve to be treated in such a way.

I smiled at Artemis and signalled that I had a story. "Orion came to camp very soon after myself therefore I was sensitive around males, Heracles's betrayal still fresh in my mind so when I arrived at the dining tent early one morning and saw Orion sitting there as well I froze. I had been wary of and avoiding him ever since he arrived so when I was forced into a situation where it was just him and I it was quite daunting. We had been sitting awkwardly for a while, neither of us talking and then he spoke up. I know you are wary of me, Zoe, he sighed, and I understand that my gender and kind may have done you wrong in the pass. He promised that he would never be like other males I have met and that this was his second chance at life so he would never ruin it. I was slightly sceptical after all, trusting Heracles got me to a bad position but he seemed genuine. I slowly became close with him but a real turning point was that time when Lycaon attacked us, do you remember M'lady? They had come from nowhere and when Lilly sounded the alarm it was a rush to get defend our camp. I was so busy and distracted by the central attackers I did not notice one behind me until I felt a sting on my arm then thunk of an arrow into flesh behind me. I looked around an wolf had managed to sneak up behind me and scratch me on the arm, it now had an arrow in its skull. I quickly staunched the blood flow and saw Orion with his bow up as if he had just shot before I realized the arrow that shot the wolf was distinctly his. Orion had rushed to me and taken me to shelter giving me proper treatment before returning to the fight. I owed him a great debt for that day and I was no longer nervous or anxious around him and he seemed really thankful for that. I am glad that we could have given him another chance and family especially after his misfortune," I finished. We older huntresses continued telling tales of our brave and kind but deceased brother. His highs, lows and even our most personal encounters. The newer hunters either listened in awe and tried to imagine the ruthless, cursed beast they knew as a gentle, caring brother, or they were carrying on with chores and training around camp leaving us to mourn and remember in peace.

The camp fire came round quickly with many tears shed and some of us still visibly upset. We all gathered together. We sat taking in the ashy yet homely and comforting smell of the camp fire flickering and sending little sparks up into the night sky where the moon, our mistresses domain, shone over us brightly and made us feel protected. The usually silent crackling of the burning wood cut through the silence accompanied by the howls of the wolves, both wild and part of the hunt, and the growls, chirping, hooting and buzzing of wild creatures found in the surrounding woods. We barely noticed a newer hunter step up until she began talking. "We have all seen how the death of the giant we though was our mortal enemy but turned out to be a past brother has a affected you so we decided to thank you for our place and opportunity in this hunt as well as everything you have individually done for us. We know it is not a typical burial but it was the best we could do," she said and two of them brought out a shroud. It was a beautiful silver that glowed under that light of the moon with a detailed picture of a bow and arrows as well as the scorpion that caused Orion's death decorating it in a black thread. We all gasped at its beauty. "Girls," Artemis breathed out.

"Do you like it?" they questioned.

"We love it," we all whispered together in awe. They handed it to Artemis and she gestured for us to follow her to the fire. "Our brother and comrade in arms, your fate was a bad one full of misunderstanding and misfortune. You did not deserve the death you received and will always be remembered for who you were not who you died as. You will be remembered as a hero and kind soul who went against his mother's wishes to avoid a war," Artemis said and placed the shroud in the fire. We all watched teary-eyed as the fabric shrivelled and burned in the dancing flames and hugged each other. We made our way back to our tents and collapsed on our beds emotionally exhausted from our day of mourning and highs and lows as we remembered our lost brother.

Far off unbeknownst to the huntresses the constellation commemorating their brother shone a brighter silver as he saw his sisters didn't give up on him or hate him for what he'd done. Orion's soul had regained purpose despite being in the sky and will survive for years watching over his family and stepping in to protect them if needed, however he knew they wouldn't.

Hey guys,

I know I haven't updated this one for a while either but today I managed to get round to updating both my stories.  This chapter took forever because I had to think of an experience Zoe had with Orion to make her trust him but I got there in the end.  Also I saw the other day that I somehow have 1K reads and I would love to thank all of you for that.  Any way any constructive criticism you have for me and I might finish this one soon and do a sequel of Zoe's Point of View in Titan's curse.

-Ella

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro