Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The moving process took almost all day, and the two collapsed heavily onto the couch around five o'clock. Mark called for a pizza, then threw the phone on the end table and cuddled up to Jack.

Jack giggled quietly. "What are you, a puppy?"

Mark nodded against his chest. "An adorable puppy."

Jack played with Mark's hair. "You got me there."

The house was silent for a moment, aside from Chica's panting by their feet. Eventually, Mark lifted his head to look at Jack. "Can you take the makeup off?"

Jack started to panic. "W-What do you mean? I'm not wearing anything."

"Don't lie to me, Jack. You stayed distant this morning until you changed because your makeup came off last night. I know you keep foundation in your bag." Mark reached for Jack's hand, and was surprised to find it shaking. "Please? I want to see what you look like without it."

Jack's eyes started to fill with tears. "I... I want to, Mark, I just... I don't want..."

Mark came to a conclusion. "You think that when I see your bruises, I'm not going to want you anymore." Jack swallowed, nodding. "Jack. Babe." Jack's heart fluttered painfully in his chest at the pet name. "You don't need to worry about that. I'll love you no matter what. You know that."

Jack stared into Mark's eyes for a long moment before sighing. "I... actually have some makeup wipes in my bag."

Mark smiled, then heard the doorbell ring. "That would be the pizza. You go do what you have to do, and come back when you're ready."

Mark kissed his cheek, then stood up to make his way towards the door. He heard Jack's footsteps go up the stairs, and the bathroom door creak as it shut. He paid for the pizza and brought it into the kitchen, filling two glasses with ice water and taking two plates from the cabinet. He laid them all on the counter and waited.

After about five minutes of silence, he decided to go upstairs to find Jack. "He has to be done by now..." He muttered to himself as he climbed the stairs. He made his way to the bathroom, finding that the door was cracked open and the sink was running. He heard soft cries coming from inside, and looked through the crack to see Jack leaning against the sink, mumbling to himself.

"...can't imagine it ever happening." Jack was saying. "Not with this. Not with the way I am. God, how can I be so ignorant? He's never going to want me..."

Mark knocked quietly before opening the door. "Jack?"

Jack's hands instantly shot up to cover his face. "No. Don't come in."

Mark was already in the bathroom. He reached over to shut off the sink. "Jack, what's wrong?"

Jack was sniffling. "Nothing. Everything." He let out another sob. "I can't do this."

Mark took a small step towards him. "Jack, it's okay. If you don't want to show me, you don't have to. I'm not going to force you."

Jack's shoulders shook. "That makes it worse."

Mark hesitated for a brief moment before placing a hand carefully fully on Jack's shoulder. Jack froze. "Jack, talk to me. Please. I don't want you feeling like this. Tell me what I can do to help."

Jack sniffed again. "I... I just..." He took a deep breath. "I spent so long covering all of this up. I never let anyone see it, not even Dad. I just... I'm scared."

"Of what? Jack, you should never be scared with me."

"I'm scared that when you see everything, you'll... you'll leave me. Call off the engagement. Break up with me entirely." Jack let out another sob. "I feel like I don't deserve you, already, especially with my background. But with what my father- Ryan- has done to make me look like this... I'm scared you'll leave me."

Mark carefully wrapped his arms around Jack's chest, holding him tightly from behind and closing his eyes. "Jack, I would never do that to you. I love you. You know that, right? I love you."

Jack's breath hitches. "You... you do?"

Mark nodded against his shoulder. "I do. Very much. I'll never leave you."

Jack was silent for a moment, before he slowly turned around and returned Mark's hug. Mark kept his eyes closed as he rested his chin on Jack's shoulder.

The two were quiet for a while, locked in a tight embrace, until Mark lightly kissed Jack's neck. "Can I see now?"

Jack took a deep breath, nodding. "Yeah."

Mark slowly pulled away, and his heart shattered into a million pieces. Jack's face was littered with fading, violent bruises. Tiny cuts danced across his cheeks and forehead, and he had one across the bridge of his nose that looked fairly new. They all looked like they would heal on their own, but Mark's heart squeezed painfully as he looked at each one.

A tear fell out of Jack's eye as he smiled sadly. "I know. I'm hideous, right?"

"God, Jack, no. I never once thought or said that." Mark reached up, cupping Jack's face in his hands. He didn't wince. "You are the most beautiful person I've ever seen." Jack let out a few more tears. "Is this... everywhere?"

Jack nodded slowly. "Yeah. Pretty much."

Mark continued staring for a second before pulling Jack into another tight hug. "God, Jack, I'm so sorry. You didn't deserve any of this."

Jack returned the hug. "I know." He pulled back, lifting Mark's chin. "It doesn't hurt, though. I promise."

"That doesn't make it any better." Mark mumbled.

"I know." Jack's face brightened. "Hey. Let's get our minds off of it for a while. Isn't there a pizza downstairs?" Mark nodded, and Jack smiled. "Then let's go eat!"

Mark returned the smile. "Yeah. Let's go eat."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro