01 | A Pirate's Life

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

01 | A PIRATE'S LIFE

Several years of piracy shaped August's outlook on life. Unorthodox ways became the only way as she sailed on the Zoroark's Deceit.

The first thing she noticed was the Pokémon's wit. These creatures worked their own routines—a Charmeleon maintained the steam engine, a pair of Tailow scouted ahead—then met their owners between breaks. Pirates were similar to 'normal' people since they each had a single Pokémon to help them with their chores.

August wondered what it'd be like to have an intelligent Pokémon of her own. Her parents wouldn't allow her to keep Vespiquen when she was younger out of spite because she rejected the other Pokémon they offered. She wanted Vespiquen and Vespiquen alone. Still, she was glad she didn't take her friend abroad after meeting the crude pirates.

To her shock, there was an abundance of magicians in the world of piracy. Every pirate ship seemed to be headed by powerful magicians with enchanted cutlasses matching their type. Calico happened to be the only female among them.

No one dared to challenge Calico. August learned the captain had made a name for herself as one of the most fearsome pirates in the skies. It was a world's difference compared to her Rubre home where men dictated what did and did not happen.

However, Calico's less vicious twin brother and first mate, Wes, taught August the ropes. He claimed he watched her so she didn't become deadweight, but she was sharper than that. She noticed the way he'd treat her kinder than the other crew members, often sneaking her snacks and helping her with her chores. He even had a fireproof sheath forged for Risk on her birthday.

It wasn't enough, though. Greedily, it became August's goal to worm her way into Calico's heart like how she did with Wes. She'd be in the perfect position if both the captain and the first mate adored her.

She paid special attention to Calico's cabin whenever she earned the chance to enter her quarters. An abundant number of treasures adorned the room, yet one type of item appeared a dozen times more than the others: spyglasses.

Calico possessed a large assortment of the nautical telescopes; their bronze and silver sheens attracted August's gaze every time she visited. They were strewn across desks, resting beside a hammock, placed atop chests, and mounted onto the wall. She figured if she presented the captain a new addition to her collection then she'd be in her good graces.

Fortunately, August planned out how to swipe a rare spyglass better than how she would run away from home. Unfortunately, that was a very low bar to hurdle.

August's opportunity came about when she was 16: five years after abduction, five years before her breaking point.

The Zoroark's Deceit had been docked in a port town—tiny islands unmarked by the major countries' maps run by criminals for criminals—to stock up on supplies. She didn't know the name of the port town, only that it had one of the busiest blackmarket districts in all of Caelum. If she were to steal a priceless spyglass, it would be here.

August scanned the isle as the ship pulled in, leaning on the gunwale with her fingertips tapping the wood. From what she could see, the coastline was made up of the typical crooked smithies, brothels, and taverns stowed away in oversized shacks built on rotten foundations. She supposed she'd have to trek further inland to find what she sought.

The teenager readjusted her weathered coat then nodded to herself. She signaled the tally keeper tracking the crewmembers and departed. Once August reached the ragged shops, disgust filled her head to toe.

The port town smelled of alcohol, bodily waste, and smoke. Drunkards brawled on every corner with onlookers cheering them on and placing bets. Pokémon (wild or tamed, she couldn't tell) ran through the streets, kicking up dust and stealing food. Rowdy shouts and shrilling laughter sounded nonstop.

August kept her hand on Risk's hilt, glaring daggers at anyone who stared back as she traveled. She met those too foolish to ignore her with a vile curse she picked up from older pirates; the words hissing through her sneer were filthier than rotting Garbodor.

"Look 'ere, look 'ere! I 'ave the richest treasures found in the western skies!"

August located the merchant beneath a tattered tarp inside the stuffy trading square. Rows of tables showed several curiosities: ivory knives, silk ropes, hardy liquor, and sparkling navigation tools. Her eyes gleamed akin to Sableye as she neared the display only to have a tattooed arm block her path.

She met a dark scorn and snapped, "What's your problem? I was looking, not taking."

The man, the merchant she believed, returned, "Yeah, lookin', not buyin'. Move, wench."

August reached for Risk, but the mission flashed in her mind. She let her fingers fall to her coin bag and waved it at the protective merchant. He dropped his arm, yet his focus never strayed from her.

She gritted her teeth. If there was one thing she hated more than stealth missions, it was getting caught sneaking. She had to face the consequence: she had to be patient.

Drifting item to item, August pretended to debate if she should purchase each one. The merchant shadowed her with sighs and grumbles, unyielding and annoying. She was close to clobbering him then making a mad dash for it when her peripheral vision caught a cloaked figure drawing a displayed knife into zir sleeve.

"Thief!" she exclaimed, pointing at zir without a shred of guilt.

The bustling crowd jumped at her shout, swiveling around to witness the thief sprinting away. Salesmen and bored men seeking a thrill chased after zir, forgetting their previous business.

August snatched the spyglass she wanted—a beautiful device embellished with jade vine patterns—and darted for the coast. She didn't have to look back to know the merchant hollering behind her was hot on her tail.

She pushed men, women, and Pokémon alike out of her way in her frenzied rush through the suffocating alleys. A low-hanging clothesline was just close enough for her to jump and yank it to the ground, dropping clothes atop the panicked. She hoped the merchant was one of the unfortunate ones, and she spun heel to barrel down an obscure pathway.

Excitement she only felt when causing trouble thrummed in her veins as she bounded, cleanly avoiding obstacles left and right. Duck, left, duck, jump.

For a moment, she was reminded of her family's orchard during harvest. She nearly smiled at the thought until she met a dead-end: a cliff face. Twisting around to book it, she found herself stuck between the rock and the furious merchant with broken-down barns on either side.

"Filthy skyloon," he barked, drawing his sword. She found no ornament on it; he was magicless. "Who d'ya think you are?"

August unsheathed Risk. "None o' your business. Let me go, or I'll end you where you stand."

"You think you're clever, yeah? Let's see how smart you look when your guts are coverin' the street," he threatened, edging towards her.

Her lips twisted into a smug grin. "Aye. Doesn't take much to outsmart landlubber."

Like she wanted, he lunged. August sidestepped and blocked his blow, gritting her teeth under the weight of his weapon; he was stronger than she'd expected. She jerked, dodging his second, cleaner thrust by a hair.

"Ignis!" she cried.

Risk warmed her palms as it ignited, producing a flaming veil around the blade. The merchant paused momentarily then let loose a piercing whistle. Fearing what he summoned, she sliced the air and sent a ribbon of embers spiraling at him. The fire just about singed his rum-drenched beard before a pulsing geyser obliterated the attack.

Steam dampened the stinking alley, causing August's tunic to stick to her tanned, scarred skin. Sweat gathered on her brow, and she found herself doused from the soupy air. She stilled from wiping away perspiration as she saw something move in front of the merchant.

Standing across from her was a short, orange-and-white crustacean donning a jagged crown. Bubbles frothed at zir mandibles; she wondered if zie was poisonous. What she did figure, however, was that zir razor-sharp claws the size of her head would butcher whatever zie clamped onto.

"Too scared to fight me alone?" she taunted, hoping he'd recall his partner. She loathed harming Pokémon; all the creatures were doing was following their masters' orders.

The merchant scoffed. "I'm smart, not scared. Kings, use Metal Claw on 'er!"

The Pokémon's pincers shone silver, and August charged. She feigned a strike—the crab grasped empty air. One swift kick to zir exposed underbelly ruined zir balance, and zie stumbled. She bombarded the two with another flame barrage and ran.

"Mud Shot!"

August grunted as a force pummeled her midback, coating her in a layer of muck. She fell just as the man gathered himself enough to slice her. Hot pain registered in her brain as her skin tore in two, revealing an uneven gash on her right cheek. She reeled back and clasped her hand to her face; blood coated her palm.

Another mistake would lead to death. She wouldn't allow it.

Quickly, she scanned her surroundings. The buildings casing the alley were shabby and ready to crumble apart. It was common to find gambling rings run by castaways in abandoned housing. Her gaze locked on the leaking barrels outside the shacks. She glanced at Risk. The merchant. The Pokémon. Risk. The barrels.

"Brine!" the merchant called.

August braced herself as the crustacean pelted her with pressurized water. A shout tore from her throat as she was blasted into the cliff face, and rocks dug into her beaten body. She collapsed on her hands and knees, spitting out water and gasping for breath.

"Give the 'scope back, and I'll spare your life," the merchant demanded, his shadow crossing into August's vision.

He was closer. Closer to her. Closer to the barrels.

She hid her victorious smirk. "I yield," she lied. "I'll give it back."

August feigned terror with shaky breaths, hands, and knees and clambered to her feet. Carefully, she sheathed Risk and placed her hand in her vest where the spyglass rested.

She all-but-crooned, "Ignis what you wanted?"

Within her fireproof sheath, Risk's magic activated. Faster than her opponents could react, August whipped her cutlass from her side and its flaming streaks sailed to the barrels... of rum.

The fire roared to life at once, wrathful and raging. Red and yellow leaped and climbed, singing whatever their deadly light touched. Smoke billowed at an alarming pace, drowning the narrow alleyway in a thick, bluish haze.

Tears blurred August's sight as she coughed and rushed to cover her face. She sped past the shouting merchant telling his Pokémon to put out the flames devouring the street. It seemed as if everything in the town was soaked in alcohol, shaping it into a match waiting to be burned.

All around her was panicked screams and cursing as stampedes broke out. Madness swept the isle as pirates began to ransack booths and draw blades on store owners. August clenched her jaw and raised her hood as she pushed past them to the Zoroark's Deceit, smothering the nerves prickling her stomach by lashing out at others who strayed too close.

She wasn't given the chance to have a single breath of relief upon boarding the ship. Someone grabbed ahold of her hood and wrenched her aside. August's nerves flourished again as she stared into familiar amber-and-hazel eyes.

"Look a' you runnin' like a Zubat outta Giratina's lair, smellin' like smoke," Wes said. He gestured to the port. "Did you light that fire?"

August followed his gaze. The once lax island was alive and frenzied; everyone fled in every direction in a mad craze to get to who knows where. Ships departed one right after the other, leaving an unfortunate few behind. Dusky blue fumes rose into the cloudless sky and obscured the sun.

"I was about to get cut open, old man," she replied, shaking off his grasp. "Look a' my face."

She wiped her slit cheek and found scarlet on her sleeve. A hiss left her as the action reignited the wound's stinging sensation.

Wes heaved a sigh and offered his waterskin. She rinsed her injury while he warned, "Briley's not happy; we 'adn't finished gettin' our supplies."

August's chest tightened. One too many times had she watched Calico punish crewmates harshly over small matters. The spyglass' weight threatened to drag her onto the deck.

"Damn the supplies," she cursed, storming away.

The teen brushed past fellow crewmates gawking at the flaming isle and leaned against the ship's mast. Careful not to let them see, she took out the spyglass and fought the urge to chuck it overboard out of anger. Curiosity finally got the best of her as she held the petite telescope up to her eye.

August focused in on the other pirate ships, going vessel to vessel to watch the sailors hurry to raise their sails and depart. Her body twisted as she scanned the area, and she mouthed the names of their rivals: the Silver Sails, the Persian's Fortune, and the Savage Hydreigon. She lingered on the Savage Hydreigon's ebony frame and knitted her brows. It sounded familiar.

"Ahoy, Gold."

She bit her tongue and faced the irritated speaker. Captain Calico and her ragged Zoroark glared down on August, faces taut and scowls present.

"Good day, Captain," August greeted, jaw clenched and spyglass hidden.

Calico set her hands on her hips and demanded, "Explain yourself before I leave you 'ere with the mess you made."

"I went to the market an' took something," she explained, keeping the story vague, "an' the merchant noticed. He chased me into a corner an' I fought my way out using Risk."

August's ire chilled into fear as Calico prowled forward, shoulders square and chin high. She was eleven years-old all over again, cornered by a woman who could end her in one blow.

To her confusion, Calico held out her hand and ordered, "Give it 'ere." August's mind blanked, and the captain clicked her tongue. "What you were tryin' to steal, dorbel. Give it to me."

August complied and handed over the spyglass. Calico's pinched features smoothened as she fingered the device, inspecting its intricate pattern and fine craftsmanship. Reignited confidence chased off the girl's fears, and she grinned.

"It's for you, Captain," she said, summoning as much charm as her ruffian self could.

A dark chuckle escaped the tall woman. She tilted her head and asked, "You think you can win me over like that, eh? My past cap'n wouldn't even spare me a glance 'til I saved 'is life." She paused, remicising. "I should've let 'im die then. Zo."

At once, the Zoroark pounced. Claws dug into August's throat as Zo pinned her against the mast in a death grip. She squirmed in the ebony fox's grasp, seeing black as her windpipe was crushed. Nasally snickering met her ears, and she desperately tried to kick the sadistic Pokémon while gasping for air.

Blood roared in her ears, close to drowning out Calico as she lashed, "This is your first and final warning, Gold." Her voice dipped, drenching her words in deadly venom. "Cross me again—put my success in danger again—and I'll send you overboard. Zo, let 'er go."

August dropped to the deck like a stone, her throat on fire as she wheezed. Her arms and legs trembled as she held herself up on all fours. Dirtied boots appeared before her; it took all of August's self-restraint not to spit at her captain.

She looked up at Calico from her crumpled position on the floor and croaked, "Aye, Captain."

"Good." The pirate waved over Wes and instructed, "Tie 'er to the mast 'til dawn. She needs to reflect on that there behavior."

Bitterness pinched August's features as she watched Calico walk away. Wes, with the aid of Zo, used a thick rope to fasten her to the mast.

Wes mentioned once the Pokémon left, "You're lucky you weren't flogged." He half-grinned. "Truth be told, your behavior's the same as hers when she was young."

"Shut your mouth; I'm nothing like her," she growled.

He rolled his eyes. "Think what you want to. If you don't annoy those walkin' past you then I might bring you food."

"You wouldn't have to bring me food if you didn't tie me to this damned pole."

"It was that or the plank. Chin up, rookie."

Left alone, August sighed and hung her head. She wondered if her plan had worked at all. Calico seemed to like the spyglass she'd stolen for her, but if she didn't then August went through a world of trouble for nothing.

She raised her gaze to where Calico stood at the ship's helm. One of her hands rested on the wheel while the other toyed with the spyglass. The captain lifted it to her eye, and August traced to where it was trained on a black vessel—the Savage Hydreigon.

‒‒‒‒‒

⚔️ TERMS ⚔️

Port Town [porht town]
noun
Unmarked isles home to black markets. No laws are applicable here.

⚔️ ART ⚔️

This wonderful piece of August was created by kimcgray95.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro