17 A Night to Remember

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

As soon as dawn broke on the horizon Sunday morning, Lucinda and Merrill were awake and ready to get the engagement planning stared. While they ate breakfast they created a to do list to help them stay focused and organized. Then they cleaned up and headed out to purchase what they would need like flowers, decorative lights and candles. Hector was letting Merrill borrow his guitar, which prompted Emma to arrange a dinner menu for the occasion. So at mid day when they both walked into their home to pick up the guitar, Emma's cooking was filling the air with a yummy scent.

As Hector lead the way to the kitchen, the scent became stronger until they turned the corner to find Emma. Her sleeves were rolled up to her elbows and her hair was pulled back into a bun while she stirred the contents inside a huge pot. When she spotted them she looked up while simultaneously blowing her bangs out of her eyes as if she were exhausted.

"Wow!" Lucinda said as she crossed the room to give Emma a hug. "What are you making? It smells amazing."

"Cioppino!"

"Cho-what?" Lucinda drew her head back with a light shake.

"It's like a seafood stew! Take a look." She curled an index finger at Lucinda, beckoning her over to the stove. Her eyes brightened and doubled in size at the sight of the scallops, clams, muscles and shrimp drenched in a richly red soup-like sauce.

"Oh my... Merrill, will you take a look at this!?" Lucinda waved him over.

As he joined them at the stove, Emma latched her hands onto their arms with a squeal. "Oh! And I'm adding crab legs!!"

"Tonight will be a feast of kings," Merrill replied as he did an inspection of the cioppino by stirring it. "A damn good feast by the looks of it."

"I'm just so excited!" Emma danced in place. "Engagements and weddings are so much fun to plan. Especially the menu for them, but I promised Hector I wouldn't go overboard, so I'm keeping it simple." Using her fingers, she began counting off. "I figured we'd have shrimp cocktail to start off, a Caesar salad after and then the main course, cioppino. For dessert I made cheesecake."

Hector cleared his throat and eyed her. "You mean three cheesecakes."

"Oh whatever!" Emma batted her hand. "I made them last night. I was bored! Now they're in the fridge just waiting to be eaten and I swear, if the boys even dare to touch either of those cheesecakes I'll kill them!"

"Oh they know. Trust me." Hector folded his arms, amused by his wife and turned his attention to Lucinda and Merrill. "She may as well have locked the fridge, because the moment she hears the doors squeak open she storms in here to make sure no one touches her precious desserts."

"Well you know how our sons are." Emma wagged her finger at him. "They'll devour the entire fridge if you let them. You would think I starve them because of how much they're able to eat in one sitting. Boys!" She shook her head. "They can eat and eat, then go play basketball and shred ten pounds by the time it's over. It's so unfair. If I eat an entire cheesecake to myself it goes straight to my thighs and then it takes me ten years to burn it off."

"Emma, my love," Hector said as he crossed an ankle over the other while leaning against the fridge. "You can eat as many cheesecakes as you want, I'll still find you beautiful, you know that."

Emma glanced over to Lucinda with a roll of her eyes. "Hector doesn't understand the women in this town. Some are downright nasty if you're bigger than a size twelve. The things I hear some of the women whisper about each other during my yoga class, is enough to make me want to starve myself!"

Hector tossed his hands in the air, as if he was giving up. "I've told you time and time again to quit that class. The women that go to it are completely miserable, but no, you continue to torture yourself by being in their presence."

"It's a really good class!" Emma defended.

"Well, hey, you can always come jogging with me?" Lucinda offered.

"There you go!" Hector snapped his fingers and crossed the kitchen to wrap his arms around Emma. "Go jogging with her and forget about those women at the yoga studio. It will be so much better for you to be away from those toxic women." He paused to kiss the top of her head and then tilted her chin upward to look her in the eyes. "You are perfect and all they do is make you self conscious, when you have no reason to be."

Emma squeezed Hector's torso and pressed her cheek against his chest. With a deep inhale she said, "see why I love this man? He's so good to me."

"That's because he's a smart man," Merrill replied. "He knows you're his better half and that without you, he's completely lost. Like the old saying goes, happy wife equals a happy life."

"Well then, I suppose Loris is already ahead of the game, because I've never seen Annie happier," Emma noted as she returned to the stove. "I really am excited for them, they're both so great for each other!"

"Speaking of Annie and Loris, what time should we arrive at Raif's?" Hector asked.

"Well, he closes the cafe at six, but Merrill and I will already be there setting everything up for dinner, so stop by anytime after six," Lucinda replied.

Hector twisted his wrist upward and glanced at the time on his watch. "Looks like we've got some time to go over a few songs..." he said as he turned his attention to Merrill. "Shall we go into the living room to practice for a bit? I think it could be really special for Loris and Annie, if I sing while you play the guitar."

"Sure, sounds great to me!" Merrill exclaimed. "What songs did you have in mind?"

As both men exited the kitchen, Emma began fixing up a pot of coffee. When it was ready, she and Lucinda chatted about the decorations for the night. Emma even pulled out her laptop and opened up Pinterest to show Lucinda some ideas on how to hang the decorative lights. In one of the images she saw lights wrapped around tree trunks, which gave off a festive glow. In another image, she liked how there were candles of different heights, in a line down the center of a long table. Instantly she could picture how Raif's backyard would look with the flicker of candles giving off romantic light.

"This is such a cool website," Lucinda said as she scrolled through more images.

"I know. I can't believe you've never heard of it before." Emma shook her head. "It's where I got all of my ideas for this house, and it's how Annie got inspiration for her boutique's decor."

"Oh I believe it!" Lucinda clicked on more images, studying them carefully before clicking on others. Then she paused at one that had a bride and groom kissing at sunset, with candles in a heart shape, circling all around their feet. Her heart squeezed by the beauty of it. "This one is nice too..."

"When you and Raif get married, I can help you recreate this, if you want?" Emma leaned in to take a closer look and Lucinda snapped her gaze to her.

"Um... what?" Her cheeks colored instantly.

"Oh don't look at me like that!" Emma waved her hand. "It's only natural to think about this kind of stuff when you're in love."

"But..." Lucinda's thoughts had suddenly become mush. She certainly thought about marrying Raif, more often that she considered normal, but it was never something she admitted out loud.

"I think you're it for him. I really do." Emma nodded. "He just seems so happy, so at peace with you. We've never seen him like this. I mean, he's always been a charmer and friendly and outgoing, and sure he's dated around, but this time it's different. It's like you've plugged a brighter light bulb into a room that we never even realize was a little dim. I like seeing him happy. Truly happy."

Lucinda's insides churned in a way that caused her mouth to pull into a big smile. "He makes me happy too."

"Then go with the flow, honey." Emma playfully smacked her arm. "Don't look so frightened when people bring up marrying him. Seize what you have together. Enjoy it."

"Carpe diem?"

"Exactly!" Emma nodded.

🌊🌊🌊

That evening as Lucinda and Merrill strung up decorative lights in Raif's backyard, she kept going back to Emma's words to seize the day. She had moved to Breeze Bay to start over and reinvent herself, after all. Yet, her old habbits of closing herself off and difficulty with trusting people, often crept up. Perhaps reinventing herself was the issue? She couldn't expect to change over night, and certainly not within a few weeks or months. However, she could try to 'go with the flow,' just like Emma suggested. So she decided that for the rest of the evening, she would do exactly that.

A little after six o'clock, when Hector and Emma arrived to set up the food, Lucinda turned on some music to get the mood going. Like a mantra, she repeated to herself to go with the flow, so when Emma took her by the hands and began swaying to the Caribbean music playing, Lucinda danced along. As the four of them finished setting up, Raif arrived and immediately bee-lined for Lucinda to engulf her into a hug. Again, she went with it and sighed into his chest happily, seizing the moment. They stood there, with him lightly swaying her to the music and the sound of plates clinking as Emma arranged the place settings on the outdoor table.

"It's going to be a beautiful night," Raif said into Lucinda's hair and then motioned outward. "The lightning bugs have come out too. They'll add a nice twinkle to the night."

As Lucinda turned her head to gaze at the flickering bugs, she couldn't help but admire their soft glow as they buzzed around the backyard. "I've never seen lightning bugs before. They're kind of magical. It's perfect for tonight. Annie is going to be so thrilled with everything we've done tonight."

"I should get my camera ready." Raif kissed the top of her head and released her to go back into the house.

"The yard looks gorgeous, doesn't it!" Emma exclaimed as she bounced over to Lucinda excitedly.

Taking a look around, a sense of pride rolled through Lucinda's chest and like a bird, she wanted to puff out her feathers. The yard did look great. The lights wrapped around Raif's fruit trees, the tiki torches and the candles down the middle of the outdoor table, it was all giving off a romantic glow. Lucinda had even sprinkled flower petals, in various colors, across the wooden table and added a few centerpieces made from hydrangeas. Even the coffee table in front of the sitting area had candles and flower petals scattered. The backs of the outdoor dinning chairs had been wrapped in white gauzy tool, as well, making them look more luxurious.

Emma sighed at her side and weaved an arm around Lucinda's waist. "This shall be a night to remember!"

At the sound of the sliding glass door opening again, they both turned to see Annie stepping down into the yard. Inside the living room, Loris was being greeted enthusiastically by the men as they squeezed his shoulders, most likely giving him last minute advice. With a bowl in her hands, Annie said, "I made salsa!"

"Let me take that off of your hands," Lucinda responded as she stepped toward her.

"This all looks amazing!" Annie gazed about, her mouth partially open in awe. "Thanks so much for inviting me to Merrill's going away dinner."

"Oh..." Lucinda squeaked, realizing that Loris had changed the fake reason behind the dinner party. Lifting her mouth into a smile, she nodded. "Yes, well of course, he's grown so fond of everyone. Glad you could make it!"

"It's such a great night for an outdoor dinner party too," Annie said as she shrugged off her jacket. "Spring is definitely around the corner and I can't wait for the new shipment of floral dresses to arrive at the boutique. The ladies in this town are going to snatch them up, but I've already set aside a few dresses for my favorite gals." She winked at Emma and Lucinda.

With Loris and Annie's arrival, the men joined the women out on the patio to begin the festivities of the night. Raif got to work on shaking up drinks for everyone, while Emma passed out shrimp cocktails. Merrill sat with Hector on the lounge seats and together they began playing songs. Annie and Loris sat near them, snuggling into one another while listening to their melodies. It was all so peaceful, with the sound of waves crashing against the shore, and crickets competing with Merrill's guitar playing and Hector's smooth voice. Lucinda couldn't help but sigh from how relaxed she was as she took it all in.

At the sound of the doorbell, however, she was forced to peel herself away as she excused herself to answer it. So far the night was off to a good start. The fact that Annie had no idea what was in store for her, made the night feel alive, like a set of lungs breathing in and out. Lucinda skipped across the hardwood floor leading to the front door, with a smile spreading over her face. She couldn't help herself. A surprise engagement was exciting to be a part of and it made her feel so much more involved with the people around her. Swinging the door open, her smile dropped...

Standing there with a bouquet of roses, was none other than Tanner.

"Don't look so happy to see me..." he said.

"Oh um..." Lucinda shook her head, trying to clear the cobwebs of confusion. What on earth was Tanner doing at Raif's home? And with a bouquet of pink roses? Not only that, he was dressed in black slacks with a blue dress shirt that had the top buttons unbuttoned. Most likely to purposely show off the firm shape of his pectoral muscles. Muscles that Lucinda accidentally gawked at before he coughed to clear his throat.

"Are you going to invite me in?" he asked with a playful smile.

"Yeah... sure..." She stepped aside, still confused about his arrival. "What brings you here?"

"I was invited." He raised his brows as if the answer was obvious. "You know, for Loris and Annie's engagement party?"

Lucinda immediately slapped her hand over his mouth while simultaneously looking behind her. Thankfully everyone was still outside, so no one heard him accidentally spill the real reason why everyone was gathered for dinner. She pulled Tanner through the door, closed it behind him and then shoved him toward the hallway off to the side.

"Woah, woah, take it easy!" Tanner laughed.

"It's a surprise!" Lucinda hissed in a whisper. "Didn't Loris tell you?"

"Yeah..." he replied as he scratched his head with an apologetic expression. "I kinda forgot. I guess the flowers are a bit much, considering."

"It's fine." Lucinda shook her head. "I was just surprised to see you here, that's all."

"I'm hoping you mean a good surprise." He bobbed a brow.

Switching on a playful, yet stern glare, Lucinda said, "Please try to remember NOT to blurt out the surprise as the night goes on. Ok?"

"I know, I know," Tanner said as he held his hands up in surrender. "Don't bite my head off."

"I mean it!" She stomped her foot. "We've put in a lot of effort to make this night feel special."

"You're cute when you're frustrated." Tanner smirked.

Lucinda rolled her eyes at him as she tried to hide back a smile. Seeing Tanner wasn't horrible, after all, she had been attracted to him at the anniversary party, it was just that his attitude sometimes chafed her. He could be too cocky and wanted to push her toward goals that she had long abandoned, like focusing on money. She didn't like that he looked down on working at the cafe, as if it were peasant work. And she certainly didn't like the way he stared his nose down at Raif.

"I'd still like to take you out to dinner," he said, cutting through her thoughts and extending the roses to her. When her eyes widened, he added, "Look, I know you and Raif are kind of seeing each other, but it's casual, right? Nothing serious? So if my hat is still in the game, then I'd love a chance to see where things could go with us."

"I..." Lucinda sucked in a breath of courage. "I don't think so, Tanner. I'm not one to juggle men and I like where things are headed with Raif, so I'm going to continue to see how things blossom."

"I think you're making a mistake." He shook his head. "He's only going to break your heart. His reputation of having flings, isn't promising for you. I, on the other hand, am a relationship kind of guy and I would be completely committed to you and only you. Can you confidently say the same about Raif?"

Tanner reached out and traced a line down the side of Lucinda's face, then he rested the palm of his hand against her cheek. She studied him, thinking about how different things would've been had she fallen for Tanner on the night of the anniversary party. He was definitely handsome, successful and charismatic. Apparently he was determined too, since he wouldn't let go of the offer for a date. With him, Lucinda could see a life of extravagant vacations, being spoiled with expensive jewelry, and quitting the cafe to go work with him and Loris on flipping luxury homes...

But that wasn't what she wanted out of life anymore. Fancy and glittery things didn't fascinate her the way they once had with her ex. There was a time she loved being spoiled by him, but not any more. All that was left of the life she had back in Redwood Village was a broken heart, and she refused to backtrack.

"There you ar--"

Lucinda shot her gaze toward the hallway entrance and found Raif standing there. Instantly guilt engulfed her as her stomach plummeted to the floor. She wasn't doing anything wrong, yet she certainly felt as if she had been caught red handed. Judging by the grip Raif was tightening around the beer bottle in his hand, he clearly did not appreciate what he had seen.

"What's going on?" he asked, with his eyes darting between Lucinda and Tanner.

"Just saying hi." Tanner smiled with a shrug.

Raif stepped into the hallway, a predatory look in his eyes as he sized up Tanner. "Well, now you've said it. Everyone is outside, so you can head on out there now."

"No, I'd like to finish up our conversation," Tanner replied as he leaned back against the wall.

Claiming his territory, Raif slid an arm around Lucinda's shoulders. "Oh really? And what were you two chatting about?"

"That date Lucinda promised me." Holding out the flowers to her once again, he said, "you should go put these in water. I'd hate for your roses to wilt."

Lucinda's eyes had grown larger than melons. She couldn't believe Tanner's audacity. Did he have a death wish?

"Sorry," Raif replied as he batted the bouquet away. "But she's already preoccupied with me, so that date will have to wait till, well... still NEVER."

Like deja vu, Raif took Lucinda's hand and whisked her away from Tanner, just like he had at the anniversary party. As he pulled her from the hallway, she looked back over her shoulder at Tanner with an apologetic expression, but he was staring daggers at Raif's head. Would their back and forth feud over her, ever end?

With the guilt still swimming in her head while Raif guided her to the kitchen, Lucinda spit out, "It's not what you think. I swear, nothing happened... I..."

Raif spun around, causing her to bump into his chest, but he cupped his hands around the sides of her face and kissed her. Surprised by his reaction, Lucinda stiffened at first, but then gave into the kiss as she weaved her arms around his waist.

"I know," he said as he pulled away to look her in the eyes. "I know he won't leave you alone. I'm not worried about you, it's him that I have to keep my eye on." His gaze moved past her as she heard the sound of footsteps behind them, undoubtedly belonging to Tanner. Lucinda continued to watch Raif as his eyes followed the man while he walked into the kitchen. His warm hands left her face and with his focus still on Tanner, he said to her, "I'll meet you outside, I need a word with Tanner."

"Wait, but--" she began to protest, but Raif planted a kiss on her lips and then winked at her.

"I'll see you out there, beautiful."

Once again, Lucinda was looking over her shoulder at Tanner as Raif gently pressed on the small of her back, to guide her out the door. Tanner, on the other hand, had leaned himself against the kitchen island and seemed to be completely unphased by Raif's sudden need to chat with him.

Lucinda gulped, hoping their little rivalry wouldn't ruin Loris and Annie's big night.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro