34 Facing The Past - Part 2

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

When Raif returned to the cafe after visiting his mom, his abdomen tightened as soon as he walked in. It had begun doing that every time he entered, now that the place reminded him so much of Lucinda. Not seeing her smiling face behind the counter, or restocking the shelves while bobbing her head to the music, made the cafe feel less alive. Even the customers seemed to notice.

"Hey Raif," Mr. Lee said as he tapped his knuckles on the counter. "Where's our sweet girl? This place is too quiet without her laughter."

"Um... she's uh..." Raif began rubbing the back of his neck.

"She's just taking some time off," Jake interjected as he passed Mr. Lee his cup of coffee. "Her friend had a heart attack, so she's gone to make sure he's ok."

"Do you mean Merrill? The man who offered me fly-fishing lessons?"

"That's the one." Jake nodded.

"Oh gosh..." Mr. Lee sighed. "I'm really sorry to hear about that, he's a nice man. Well, please give Lucinda my best next time you hear from her."

"Yes, and tell her how it's not the same around here without her," Mrs. Rita added as she scooted up to the counter.

"Are we chopped liver now?" Raif pulled on a smile as he motioned between him and Jake.

"Oh you know I love you, Raif, and your new manager isn't so bad either." She winked to Jake. "But Lucinda is such a ray of sunshine. I tell you, that girl has helped me countless times while crossing the street and one time she even walked around the market with me, helping me bag vegetables."

"That was sweet of her." Raif smiled. "Especially with the arthritis in your hands flaring up lately."

"Make sure you hold onto her, Raif. She's a keeper." Mr. Lee dipped his head, once, as a way of saying goodbye and then left the cafe.

"Give her my best next time you see her and remind her that I want that recipe for the squash soup she was telling me about," Mrs. Rita said, while wagging her finger.

"I will."

Raif held his breath as he watched the elderly woman exit the cafe and then he exhaled in relief. Where was Lucinda? If he didn't get some sort of answer soon, he knew he would go insane with everyone constantly asking about her. He could only lie so many times before someone would begin to suspect that something was wrong.

"You alright, Boss?" Jake asked with a hand to Raif's shoulder.

"Yeah... just, tired I guess."

"Which brings me to my next question."

Raif shifted his eyes to him and sighed. "What is it?"

"I was going over the logbook and based on the trends report Lucinda put together, if her numbers are correct, customer traffic has doubled over the last two weeks. Especially on the weekends, thanks to some of the schools starting spring break earlier, so I think it's time we hire a couple of people."

"Jake, I can't afford two people."

"Well..." he rubbed the back of his neck in thought. "With Lucinda gone-"

"She's not gone!" Raif said quickly.

"Ok, with her being away for however long, we'll need at least two people. One to temporarily work Lucinda's shift and the other to work the swing shift. Based on Lucinda's report, we've been picking up in sales during the evenings too, around dinner time. When I compared that report to the projection report based on last years sales, we're due to be slammed as soon as spring break is in full swing. It would be great having the extra help."

Raif let out a long breath before answering, "You can put up a job posting and we'll conduct interviews, BUT that's not a guarantee I'll hire them. Like I said, I can't afford to hire additional people right now."

"Have you even looked at your financial records?"

"Excuse me?" Raif snapped.

"Lucinda set up an account for you that specifically goes towards hiring new staff."

"She did what!?"

"Yeah..." Jake replied, as if the news was public information. "Every time she or I do a deposit at the bank, part of the money goes into a separate account for employee labor and miscellaneous things like repairs on equipment. Didn't you know?"

"No, I didn't."

"So... you allowed her access to your business account, but you haven't even bothered to look at it?"

"I trust her. Lucinda wouldn't steal from me," Raif clipped.

"I know that." Jake held up his hands. "That's not what I was implying. What I'm saying is, we can afford to hire two people, maybe even three. Lucinda has really looked out for this cafe by getting your finances in order... so maybe you should try paying attention."

Jake shrugged with a half smile and then proceeded over to a customer that was waiting. Raif new that Jake was right. With everything that was going on with trying to build a relationship with his son, he had neglected to pay attention to all the hard work Lucinda was doing. Realizing it pained him even more now that she was gone and he didn't know why.

Raif sighed deeply. He just needed a glimmer of hope. Some sort of lead that would point him in the right direction.

Thankfully, the answer wasn't too far...

🌊🌊🌊

Later that week, Raif was building up a sweat while working the espresso machine and his mind was lost on Lucinda. Despite saying he wouldn't, Sherrif Sanchez made a few calls to other police stations to see if they could be on the lookout for Lucinda's car... except nothing had turned up so far. Where was she? As much as he wanted to abandon the cafe to go find her, he couldn't.

The days were getting busier, so he caved and allowed Jake to hire two new employees. So far he was doing an excellent job training them, which was giving Raif a chance to catch his breath until it was time for his next interview. With perfect timing, he looked up to see his potential new hire presenting herself at the counter. Raif extended his hand and asked her to sit by the window.

"Jake," he said while turning to him and removing his apron. "The two o'clock interview is here, so I'm stepping away for a bit."

"You got it, Boss." Jake gave a thumbs up. "I'll hold down the fort."

When Raif sat down to interview the candidate, he noticed she was younger than the other two people he hired. Perhaps just out of high school? As it turned out, she had just enrolled at the local college for their nursing program. She was bright-eyed, a bit timid but expressed herself cautiously and thoughtfully. Coincidentally she was from Berryville and knew Raif's aunt Audrey. There was also something about her that just seemed so familiar to Raif. He couldn't put his finger on it but there was something about her smile, the way it turned her cheeks rosey. Or maybe the nervous giggle she let out while tucking her hair behind her ear? Somewhere behind those eyes of hers, there was a girl full of eagerness for life.

"Thank you for coming in," Raif said as he scooted out of his seat once the interview was over.

The young girl scooted her chair out too with a quick nervousness and stuck her hand out. "Thank you for the opportunity Sir."

"I'll call you to let you know my final decision," Raif replied and shook her hand.

"Please, Sir..." The young girl gripped his hand. "I would really like this job. It would help me pay for college and I promise to not let my studying or school schedule get in the way. If you hire me, I'll work really hard and you won't regret it."

Raif looked the girl over and realized exactly who she reminded him of, Lucinda. She once begged him for a job and it ended up being the best thing to ever happen to him. So why not take a chance on this young, inexperienced girl that was eager to learn?

"I tell you what, come back tomorrow and we can start you on training."

"Really? Thank you!" The girl smiled wide. "Thank you so much. You won't regret it, I swear!"

Raif stood there for a while as the girl left the cafe, his thoughts floating back to Lucinda. Did she follow Merrill to whatever hospital he was transfered to? Did she go back home, or maybe somewhere completely new, like back east with her extended family? Raif didn't even know where he would begin looking even if he could leave the cafe.

"So is she hired?"

Raif turned around to face Jake. "Yeah. Figured I'd give her a shot. We'll have our hands full though. She's never worked in a coffee shop before."

"Neither did Lucinda, right? But she learned."

Raif looked down with a sigh. "Yeah. You're right."

Usually he would return to cleaning up tables or hopping behind the counter to jump back into helping customers, but this time he went straight into the back office. The only trouble was that the little office no longer felt like his. Instead it reminded him of Lucinda as he plopped onto the seat she used to sit in while bookkeeping. He rubbed his hands against the scruff growing on his face and drew his head back with a deep sigh. When he brought his hands back down, there Jake stood, staring at him.

"What's really going on Raif? I haven't seen Lucinda in days and I'm starting to realize that it isn't just because of her friend Merrill."

"She's gone," Raif replied.

"Gone? Where?"

"I'm not sure," Raif said as he leaned his elbow on the desk and rested his forehead in his palm. "All I know is that Lucinda came to my house early Tuesday morning and Rachel answered the door wearing nothing but my shirt."

Jake narrowed his brows. "Why would she answer the door half naked? Where were you?"

"In the shower." Raif grimaced.

"What!" Jake exclaimed.

"It's not what you think." Raif shook his head.

"You know what? It's really none of my business." Jake held his hands up and began backing away.

"Jake wait..." Raif pleaded. "I didn't cheat on Lucinda. I promise you."

"Seriously Raif, you're my boss so whether you did or not, it's none of my business. You don't have to explain anything."

"But I want to. Gaven and Rachel slept over because it had gotten late and I didn't want them driving home to her parents in the dark since it's such a windy road. I let them borrow my shirts to sleep in and they each took a bedroom. I planned on going over to Lucinda's, but I fell asleep on the couch... I would've explained it to her but she wouldn't even hear me out."

"I don't blame her. I mean with her maybe being preg-" Jake slapped his hand over his mouth with wide eyes.

"What?" Raif cocked his head, but Jake shook his head side to side with his hand still covering his mouth. "Jake..."

"Forget it. It's nothing," he lowered his hand, replying.

"No." Raif now stood up. "Finish that sentence."

"Look, I'm not even sure. I'm just assuming. She was sick the other day, so I just thought..."

Raif stood there as if ice water had been dumped over him. "If she's pregnant, then I have to go find her. NOW."

"Agreed." Jake nodded. "Don't worry about this place. It's in good hands plus the two new hires are learning quickly. They'll be pros by tomorrow. So go, go, go!!"

Just as Raif began making his way towards the front again with a rush of hope, the phone in the office began ringing at the same time as the phone on the deli counter. Jake answered and then held the phone out to Raif.

"It's Merrill. He's asking for you."

Raif took three big strides over to Jake and eagerly grabbed the phone from him.

"Merrill! Is Lucinda with you?" Raif practically shouted in the receiver, his heart pounding with anticipation. Jake stood by anxiously waiting while Raif went quiet and nodded his head with the phone to his ear. "Shes gone. I dont know where. I thought maybe she went to see you." He went silent again, listening to the voice on the other end of the phone. "But you know where her house is...I'll leave now. I'll drive over there. I don't care if it takes me all night... St. Mercy Hospital. Ok."

Jake looked to Raif with wide eyes again. "So...?"

"I'm going to Redwood Village. It's where Lucinda used to live. Merrill thinks she might be there, but he's still in the hospital... I've got to go, Jake."

Jake shoved Raif out of the office and pointed with a finger towards the door. "Go. Go make things right!"

Raif rushed to his house, headed straight for his bedroom and hauled out a suitcase to begin shoving clothing into it. He raced to the bathroom for toiletries and Frank followed him around as he shoved snacks and water into a plastic bag from the kitchen. Raif looked about anxiously as he stood in his living room and tried to think of what else he needed. He looked down at Frank and snapped his finger. He needed to pack Frank's things too! He gathered the leash, the bag of food, the water bowl and his giant pillow. Every thing was almost set, so Raif walked through the house making sure windows and doors were locked.

He was ready now.

He grabbed his belongings, along with Frank's and headed out to the car. He was so busy with shoving the luggage into the trunk and getting Frank situated that he didn't even notice Rachel's car pull up.

"Where ya going?"

Raif flinched at the sound of her voice and then spun around, surprised to see his ex. "What are you doing here Rachel? Is Gavin ok?"

"I asked you first." She smiled.

"I don't have time for games, Rachel," Raif replied as he closed the door to the Volkswagen Bug.

"Gavin is with my parents. I was hoping we could talk?"

Raif shook his head. "You came at a bad time Rach... plus you're not my favorite person right now. I'm really mad at you."

"Look." Rachel held up her hand. "I'm really sorry for walking out in your T-shirt. I really am. It was wrong and tasteless, but..."

"But what, Rachel!" Raif barked.

"I wanted to push her away," Rachel responded calmly.

"Why!?"

"Because she's wrong for you. Can't you see it? She's a phony!" Rachel said defensively.

"How is she a phony?"

Rachel began digging into her purse and pulled out papers. "Look! I had a private investigator look into her."

Rachel extended the papers out to him and he ripped them from her hands. His eyes scanned the pages as looked over what the investigator found.

"She was having an affair with a married man," Rachel began. "He's a lawyer in the same building where she used to work before disappearing from her accounting job. I'm assuming that's why she moved here."

"I already know all of this." Raif looked up from the papers.

"Well did you know that the man she was having an affair with is that old man's son?"

"What old man?"

"The one that's been visiting her!" Rachel replied. "I told you there was something weird about them spending time together. I bet it's her sick way of getting back at her ex... she's probably going to take him for his money. When that old man's wife died he inherited her insurance money. Want to know how much?"

"Lucinda's not a crook."

"How do you know? How well do you really know her?" Rachel snatched the papers back out of his hand. "That lawyer she was having an affair with is loaded. He makes over six figures a year." Rachel pointed at a photo. "This was the engagement ring he gave her. Worth a quarter of a million."

"Whats your point Rachel?"

"She pawned the ring!" Rachel flipped the report over to another page. "Yet she doesn't have money to start her own business? Are you kidding me! Where's the money? What did she do with it?"

"She isn't sneaky. I'm sure there's a good reason for pawning the ring." Raif rubbed his temples.

"Are you sure?" Rachel placed her hands on her hips. "I don't trust her, Raif."

"Well I do. Lucinda and Merrill are neighbors, and him being that guys father is probably just a coincidence. Or maybe that investigator got it wrong!" Raif said firmly.

"No Raif." Rachel stepped closer to him. "She's playing you for a fool. A good looking guy who owns his own business? She probably thought she could take you for what you're worth too." Rachel now clasped her hands over Raif's. "I won't let her."

"You're wrong." Raif pulled his hands back. "You don't know a thing about Lucinda. This investigation..." Raif grabbed the papers and ripped them apart. "It's garbage. It doesn't mean anthing, because I know her, and I'm going to go find her and make things right."

Rachel drew her head back. "What do you mean go find her?"

"She left thanks to you. I'm headed to Redwood Village. That's where she used to live and there's a chance she could be there."

Raif walked around to the driver's side of the car with Rachel trailing behind him. As he opened the door, Rachel grabbed his arm, but he yanked it away from her. She backed up, as if surrendering.

"I'm not going to stand in your way, Raif," Rachel said calmly to his back. "But just really think about the information I've just given you. You're going after a woman you hardly know... think about Gavin."

"I am thinking about Gavin," Raif replied and turned around to face Rachel. "There's a chance Lucinda is pregnant. If I don't go after her then that will be one more child who grows up not knowing who his real father is."

The color drained from Rachel's face and the words that were on the tip of her tongue were forgotten. A soft breeze blew strands of her hair across her cheeks and she swiped them away. The tension in her shoulders began to drop as she closed her eyes and then opened them again.

"I'm so sorry for hurting you Raif. I've made so many mistakes and I'm so sorry for keeping you from Gavin." She wiped the corner of her watering eyes and exhaled slowly. "I guess you can say I got jealous seeing how happy you are with Lucinda. I thought I could come back into your life and maybe, just maybe we could make things work as if the past didn't happen? I thought I could somehow make up for the hurt I've caused you and my son, but there'll never be an 'us' anymore. Will there?"

"Rachel..." Raif cupped her face. "I'll always care about you."

"Don't you at least want to try giving it another shot?" She placed her hands over his and kissed his palm.

Sliding his hands from hers, he replied, "I need to find Lucinda. I need to see if she's ok. I can't abandon her just to try and give things another shot with you. Not when she could be pregnant. What kind of man would that make me? What kind of example would that be for Gavin?"

"I know," she nodded. "You're a good guy. The best man that I ever let go of and foolishly, might I add." She fished through her purse for a paper to write on and began scribbling on a receipt from the gas station. Then she extended her hand out to Raif.

"What's this?"

"If you're going after her, you'll need her address. It was on the investigation report, but well, you tore that up."

"Yeah, I guess I did," Raif said with a soft laugh. He took the paper from her fingers but let his hand linger on hers as they stared at each other. "Thank you, Rachel."

"Only because I love you." She half smiled. "I always will. Please tell Lucinda I'm sorry."

"I will... hey Rache..." he said as she began turning to leave.

"Yeah?"

"Would you mind looking after Frank for me? Until I get back?"

Her gaze darted to the car where Frank was wagging his tail and her face softened. "Sure. Gavin would love having him around."

"Thanks again."

As Raif watched Rachel in his rearview mirror while he drove away, he no longer felt angry. He knew Rachel would be ok and if Lucinda was pregnant, then he knew what he needed to do as soon as he found her.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro