Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Don't worry, Lan Fan. It's just a joke. I know you don't think of me that way."

Shortly after he said those words, Ling looked over at Lan Fan. He hoped to see some reaction. She seemed to be lost in thought. Ling looked ahead at the path once more. I wish she did think of me like that though. It would be nice. He looked down as he thought more. Though we could never be together. I guess it would be better if she didn't so then she could fall in love with someone she can be with and who can make her happy. Ling sighed. It wasn't something he should even be thinking about. One day he would marry the princess of a neighboring kingdom so the two kingdoms would unite and they could become allies. It was his duty after all. He shouldn't be thinking about Lan Fan in that way.

Grumble, grumble. Ling's stomach growled loudly. He laughed and proceeded to ask for a break to eat.

"My lord, we must keep moving. We can't stop now." Lan Fan answered.

"Awwwwwww, but I really need food. I'm exhausted." Ling whined.

"Lan Fan is right. We can't stop. You'll just have to push on." Grandfather agreed.

"Fine..." Ling pouted and continued to walk.

They walked for a while before Ling finally fell over from hunger. His stomach seemed to growl louder than before. Lan Fan sighed at her prince's antics.

"Fine. We can stop, my lord." Lan Fan said.

"Yay!!" Ling sat up. "Bring on the food!"

"But we must be quick and we must save our food. You will have to eat some berries." Lan Fan said.

"But...why not eat the food we have?"

"We need to save it. We still have a long trip ahead of us. It's only been five minutes since your stomach first growled. We can't stop for an actual lunch break. We have to ration it." Grandfather explained.

"Well, I guess you're right." Ling agreed. "Lan Fan, will you find me some berries?"

"Of course, my lord." Lan Fan bowed then went off into the woods to find some berries. Ling looked at the sky. A slight breeze blew. The sky was a clear blue. He began to think once more about how he felt.

"Hey, Fu." Ling said.

"Yes, my lord." Grandfather replied.

"I think I'm in love with someone, but I don't think I'll ever be able to be with them." Ling confessed.

"I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to. You know you'll have to marry the princess of the next kingdom one day. However, I'm sure you'll love that princess very much." Grandfather replied.

"I don't think that princess will ever be as amazing as the girl I love now. No one could ever be like her." Ling laid down and sighed as he looked at the sky. "But I know I have my duty. I should be focusing on saving Mei right now anyway."

"Yes, you're right. You should focus on that." Grandfather kept an eye out as the two men waited for Lan Fan to return.

It almost hurt Ling to think of having to marry another especially one that he might not love. He wouldn't even meet the princess for several more years. For all he knew, she could be a spoiled brat and an insufferable, demanding wife. But he would have no choice. It saddened him, a but he had to do what was right for his kingdom. If the alliance was not formed by his marriage then the two kingdoms would most certainly go to war and he couldn't let that happen. He almost wished...Mei could take his place and marry a prince over there. If they even had a prince. But he knew Mei would marry a prince from another kingdom and form an alliance with that kingdom. Ling's stomach growled once more, tearing him from his thoughts. He whimpered, hunger becoming his only worry. He desperately wanted Lan Fan to return with the berries. How long could it possibly take to get a few berries?

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro