"I feel so encaptured,

You got me wrapped up in your touch.

I feel so enamoured,

Hold me tight within your touch.

And how did you do it?

You got me losing all my breath.

How did you give me,

To have my heart beat out my chest?"

MY BREATH CAUGHT in my throat as I stared at the grand building that loomed before us, growing bigger and bigger as the car drove closer to it. Many expensive cars were parked in front of the hotel already and I saw many girls and women in evening dresses similar to mine walking into the hotel, most of them accompanied by smartly dressed men.

"Don't swear, laugh too loudly, or smile too widely. Greet people when they greet you, and under no circumstances do you talk to anyone unless I am with you. They might just be fishing for gossip and I can't afford to have you accidentally tell anyone about our deal," Robin warned, his eyes never straying from the road. I rolled my eyes and nodded. He was so serious. No wonder even his parents are bugging him to get a girlfriend!

"Yes, Sir! Understood, Sir!" I mocked under my breath, pursing my lips as we came to a stop in front of the building. I sighed sadly at the thought of having to get out of Robin's beautiful car.

"Remember what I told you. My parents are surely going to speak to you, so try not to embarrass me or yourself. My parents will not be easily fooled, so make it believable and don't frown or glare at me like you usually do," Robin said.

"What about you? You're scowling right now," I said, scrunching my eyebrows together.

"I am always scowling. If I wasn't, my parents will know something is up," he snorted and rolled his eyes before opening his car door and handing his car keys to the valet. Immediately, people around him stopped and stared. Everyone knew who the infamous Robin Clair was. After all, his parents were the one hosting the very ball they were going to attend.

I took a deep breath and ran my hands down my dress in attempt to calm my nerves. I was by no means an actress, but the paycheck was way too good to pass up. Robin sauntered over to the passenger side and opened the door for me, holding out his hand. Gulping, I laced my fingers through his and tried to ignore my beating heart. We'll be fine. No one will know that I'm practically a fraud, I reminded myself.

When my head popped out of the car, I heard people start to whisper.

Who is she?

She must be his girlfriend.

She looks gorgeous! Look at that dress!

He can do much better.

I stepped out of the car carefully and walked as gracefully as I could to the entrance with him. He offered me a reassuring nod and I wrapped my hand around his arm. The whispering got louder.

"Ignore them. Their stares are meaningless," Robin mumbled under his breath. It sounded strangely similar to what Yuko had said. As the two of us walked into the large ballroom, heads turned.

"Don't let anyone here make you feel less than what you are. They tend to do that a lot, especially the women," Robin reminded, his breath tickling my neck and sending unwanted shivers down my spine. I simply nodded and gave him a small smile.

"We can do this," I insisted. Robin nodded and smiled softly in response. It took me by surprise, but I quickly pushed the initial shock away. He looked so much younger and happier when he smiled. His smile could brighten up the room, and judging by the envious glares I was receiving from girls and boys alike, no one would disagree. I didn't know why I couldn't tear my eyes away from his.

"Robin! You're here." Robin immediately broke our eye-contact to look at the woman who had interrupted us. I breathed a small sigh of relief, internally scolding myself.

This is a job, Alex! Don't get sucked into his damned baby blues!

I looked up to see a beautiful middle-aged woman dressed in a salmon pink gown. She had smooth, tanned skin, a thick, wavy mane of deep brown hair and strikingly blue eyes. She looked like she was of Brazilian descent, but I couldn't be entirely sure.

"Mom," Robin greeted, his smile replaced by a slight frown. At that, I realized why the woman looked so familiar. She had the same deep blue eyes Robin had. Like her son, she had an air of superiority and arrogance that surrounded her.

"And who is this?" his mother asked, trying not to look disappointed at her son's reaction to her greeting. Her curious, calculating gaze landed on me.

"This is Alexandra Knight. She's my...girlfriend," Robin introduced uncomfortably. My grip on his arm tightened slightly.

Don't blow our cover, you idiot.

At that, Robin's mother raised an eyebrow, and inspected me from head to toe. It was nerve-wrecking, to say the least. When her unreadable expression was finally replaced with a slight smile, I let out a small breath that I didn't know I was holding.

"I'm Michelle, Robin's mother," she introduced, putting her hand out for me to shake. I took her hand in mine and gave it a firm shake.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Clair."

"How did you meet Robin?" Michelle asked, as if she was interviewing me for a job.

"Mother, we're here to have a good time, not be interviewed," Robin warned, scowling.

"No, no. It's alright," I said, offering his mother a small smile. "The two of us met at the Academy. I just started my studies there this year."

"I see," Michelle said. She looked like she was about to ask me another question before she shot me a tight-lipped smile when Robin gave her another warning look. The two had a silent stare down and I suddenly felt very uncomfortable standing there. Finally, his mother sighed and pursed her lips.

"Well, go mingle around with the guests. I'm sure everyone is curious to find out who the girl Robin took to the dance is," Michelle Clair said to me with a tight smile before excusing herself.

"Sorry about that," Robin mumbled, but I could only nod. Michelle Clair was incredibly intimidating.

"Come on, I need to speak to some of the guests," Robin sighed. I glanced at him, pursing my lips when I noticed how tired and just generally unhappy he looked.

"Hey, Robin," I piped up suddenly, whispering softly so only he could hear me. Robin raised an eyebrow at me.

"Did you hear about the guy that got hit in the head with a can of soda?" I asked, trying to conceal my silly grin. He stared at me as if I grew a second head.

"He was lucky it was a soft drink," I whispered, winking dramatically. Taking me completely by surprise, he started to laugh. A loud, hearty chuckle. And I had to admit, he looked ten times younger and more attractive. I couldn't help but grin in return.

"That's the lamest joke I've ever heard," he said, but the amused glint in his eyes begged to differ.

"Oh yeah? Well, did you know I was a banker? I quit because I lost interest," I sang, wiggling my eyebrows at him. Robin laughed again and reached over to tuck a loose lock of hair behind my ear. I tried to ignore the tingly sensation from where his finger brushed my cheek.

"You're so lame," Robin shook his head, chuckling softly.

I gave him a toothy smile, "It's my specialty."

We walked towards a cocktail table, where two men stood with flutes of bubbly in their hands as they engaged in a fervorous conversation. A honey-blonde woman that exuded an air of grace and elegance stood beside one of the men, listening to them speak in silence. Unlike the other women in the ballroom that gave each other snooty looks, she seemed to ignore the people around her, only focusing on the two businessmen. The three of them paused and looked up at us when we stopped at their table.

"Who's that? Is that really Robin Clair?" the beautiful blonde asked sarcastically, smirking slightly at Robin.

"Shut up, April," Robin said, sobering up pretty quickly. His earlier grin disappeared and he returned to looking like the Great Depression.

"Well, sue me, Robin. I haven't heard you laugh in ages," April said, her eyes flashing with a mix of happiness and concern. I wondered who she was, and why the two of them seemed to know each other so well. I felt my stomach churn uncomfortably, I hope this isn't his ex-girlfriend or something. That'd be awkward.

"So who's this? Is she responsible for your laughter?" April asked, smiling as she turned her attention to me.

"Surprisingly so," Robin murmured, looking down at me.

"Well, teach me your skills so I can get my little brother to lighten up once in a while," April said to me. My mouth opened in surprise, so she was his sister!

"I'm April Rosalyn Clair, pleasure to meet you," April introduced, smiling warmly.

"She's Alexandra," Robin introduced for me.

"Oh shush, Ro. Let the girl introduce herself," April chided, causing Robin to roll his eyes.

"I'm Alexandra Knight. You can call me Alex," I said shyly, almost desperate to get on her good side. I could already tell April was a funny and kind person from her short exchange with Robin.

"Pleasure to meet you, Alex. This is Erik Foster, the celebrity lawyer. And this is my...fiancé, Joshua Lewis."

The two men gave me tight smiles, before turning to look at Robin.

"Business been well?" the man April introduced as Erik Foster asked. He was probably in his mid-thirties, a stocky man with dark hair and even darker eyes.

"Great," Robin replied monotonously. The emotion that he let slip just seconds ago vanished, hidden under a thick veil of nonchalance and emptiness. It seemed that he always turned into an emotionless robot whenever he had to talk about his business, and I wondered if it was just a defence mechanism to protect him from the scrutiny and judgement from other older, more experienced men in the business industry.

"Well, little bro, you're making it big, huh?" April's fiancé smirked, almost condescendingly. Joshua Lewis looked to be around April's age, which meant he was probably twenty-five or twenty-six. He had a full head of wavy chocolate brown hair and deep emerald eyes. He would've been attractive if he didn't look so...mean.

Robin cast him a look of boredom, but I swore there was a flash of annoyance in his eyes.

"Yes. I am," he replied curtly, and Joshua grinned menacingly. Before April's fiancé could say anything more, the speakers crackled to life and I heard the host announce that it was time for the Couple's Dance.

Por Una Cabeza started to play from the speakers, and I watched silently as people in the middle of the large ballroom started to dance along to the music. And it wasn't the usual grind and shake I was used to, instead, these people were tangoing.

"Come on, Robin. Sweep her off her feet," April urged, gesturing us to the dance floor.

Unfortunately, April said it a little too loudly and people standing around us were giving Robin expectant looks, making it such that he wouldn't be able to decline.

Clearing his throat and offering me his hand once more, he requested for a dance with me. In any other situation, I wouldn't mind joining in the fun, but the thing is, I can't dance. Swallowing nervously, I slipped my hand into his.

Robin must've seen the panic in my eyes because he squeezed my hand lightly.

"I'll guide you. You can step on my toes," Robin whispered into my ear and I nodded nervously, feeling a little less scared.

When he wrapped an arm around my waist, I felt weird tingles go up my spine. We danced slowly at first, but when I got the hang out it, we began to dance faster. I had to admit being so close to Robin made my stomach twist and turn, and I couldn't decide if it was a good thing or not.

The cheery, quick-paced tango music ended and soon was replaced with a soft, slow melodic tune. The lights in the ballroom dimmed.

"The song ended," I said quietly, even though I reluctant to pull out of his embrace. It seemed like for once, the two of us were agreeing on something because he wasn't in a hurry to let me go either.

"It has," he replied, pulling me closer to him and placing his cold hands on my waist. I hesitantly hooked my arms around his neck. "But another has begun."

"Is this your way of telling me that I'm a great dance partner?" I teased, licking my lips nervously and trying to calm my pounding heart. Robin snorted, shaking his head.

"Sure, Alexandra," he said sarcastically, causing me to frown and stick my tongue out childishly at him. "You only stepped on my toes a couple of dozen times. Stay for this dance, we have to look believable."

I carefully placed my head against his broad chest, letting him guide me through the song. We mostly swayed side to side, locked in a tight embrace to try to make our act believable. I didn't want to admit how this wasn't so bad.

We're dancing only so no one gets suspicious, I said to myself in my head.

The two of us sprung apart when the lights turned on and a voice boomed through the speakers. I felt the heat rush to my cheeks and Robin refused to look at me.

"Thank you all for coming to this celebration. I would like to invite my wife up here, since she's the reason why we are all gathered here," the man dressed in an expensive looking tuxedo said and I assumed he is Robin's father. I watched as Michelle made her way to stage, smiling widely as everyone applauded.

"Robert and I really appreciate all of you for coming. It's been a great twenty years and I can't ask for more. Robert, thank you for being such a loving and doting husband. There is not a day that goes by that I am not grateful for you. April, even though I am not your biological mother, I treat you as my own and love you to the best of my ability every day. Robin, my sweet boy, you are my pride and joy and I love you very much. I regret that Reuben is not able to join us for this joyous occasion, but he extends his welcome to all the guests gathered here today. The two of my sweethearts, come up here so we can take pictures and cut the cake," Michelle said with a sincere smile, wiping a tear away with the back of her hand. On cue, a huge three-tiered cake rolled out on stage. I turned to tell Robin to get on stage, but realised that he was already gone.

"To many more great years!" Michelle said, smiling gracefully and raising her flute of champagne. Everyone grabbed their drinks, and I quickly took the glass of what looked like soda from a passing waiter. Clinking my glass with a random old man standing beside me, I took a sip.

The guests began to return to their conversations while the Clairs' stood on stage to pose for pictures. I immediately noticed a pretty, slim strawberry blonde clad in a short red dress approaching me. And Blondie didn't look happy. Oh great, don't tell me this is one of Robin's cliché fan girls.

"You!" Blondie sneered.

Great, Blondie is one of those cliché fan girls, I groaned internally. I raised an eyebrow and pointed to myself in mock surprise.

"Stay away from Robin! He's mine!" Blondie screeched. The people standing around the two of us immediately started to take notice of the unbearable tension that was building up and threatening to explode.

"Do you even know who I am?" Blondie spat, placing her perfectly manicured hand on her hip.

"Should I?" I replied, which only seemed to add fuel to the fire.

"I'm Nikki Hendrick, heiress of Hendrick and Co.!" she snapped, as if it made a difference.

I shrugged, "And?"

"Stay away from him," she growled furiously.

"I think I'm capable of making my own decisions when it comes to who I want to date, Nicole." Robin's cold voice sent shivers down my spine. I looked up at Robin, only just realising that he had appeared beside me. Nikki, on the other hand, had the cheek to blush in embarrassment.

"What do you even see in her?" Nikki asked, pouting at him. Robin wrapped a hand around my waist and pulled me close to him, making me gasp softly under my breath. Robin shot me a stern look that was thankfully unnoticed by the other guests.

"For one, she isn't childish like you. Now, stop harassing my girlfriend before I call security to get you out of this place," Robin replied, leaving no space for argument.

"You'll come running back for me when you realise that she's not good enough!" Nikki said, although she sounded unsure of herself. It was her last pathetic attempt to win him over.

"Please leave now, Nicole," Robin sighed, rubbing his temple. The blonde sniffed and threw one last scathing glare at me before stomping off in her 6-inch stilettos.

"Thanks," I mumbled when everyone went back to their own conversations and the two of us were left alone.

"I wasn't going to just stand around and let everyone think they can push you around," Robin sighed, releasing his grip around my waist. "You're my girlfriend, after all."

I bit my lip. What was that supposed to mean?

"Who is she, anyway?" I asked, shooting him a puzzled look. "Don't tell me she's a vengeful ex-girlfriend."

"She isn't," he replied, rolling his eyes. "Our families used to vacation together in the summer and she developed a crush for me when we were seven. I don't understand why, though. I disliked her even back then."

"She harboured feelings for you since she was seven? Talk about obsessive," I mumbled, pursing my lips.

"She is a handful. But you handled her pretty well. You just made her look like a fool. And desperate," Robin commented, in hopes of lightening up my ruined mood. I couldn't help but quirk a small smile at him, a laugh bubbling out of my lips.

"I did, didn't I?" I smirked proudly. Robin shrugged, and let out a smile of his own.

"Come on, it's getting late. I'll drive you back," Robin said, briefly glancing at his golden Rolex watch before leading me out of the ballroom.

❁❁❁  

A/N: I hope everyone enjoyed the chapter. Thank you all for being so patient and supportive. I'm hoping to be able to post more consistently but assignments are piling up and I might have to go on a break soon. Study hard, everyone. And always live for yourself.

Song of the Chapter: Latch, by Sam Smith 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro