24.Breakfast

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

It's almost five in the morning. After we were discharged, Aiden tried to convince us to stay in the palace for safety. For once, Grandma's adamant nature worked in my favor. She refused to stay at the palace.

Aiden agreed on a few conditions, though. We now have multiple guards assigned to us. Few are stationed in the forest and three of them are staying in our home.

Well, two are staying in the backyard and one highly experienced guard who is capable of handling any contingencies in Aiden's words is residing in the sole guest room of our home that is across mine.

I am lying on my bed, thinking and contemplating. What to do now? I have the data on my private server but the software I need is difficult to procure. Maybe I can use open-source software.

But then, even if I process the data, it won't help me find those who did this. In fact, it's better if I don't solve the research until I find the motivation behind these crimes.

At least the data will be safe. And if the person who is behind these crimes was smart enough, they would have cracked this on their own. They haven't, though. That's why I am being targeted.

Only if I could find a lead. A clue that can lead me to the crux of this matter. Maybe I can. An idea comes to my mind.

What if I create a fake website and make bait out of it? I can post some similar data that resembles my research on the website.

I can use a fake email address too. So that they can contact me with. I just need a lead. I can track the location. Powered by my idea, I dash towards my laptop, switching it on and using a VPN.

I rapidly do all the necessary tasks mentally patting myself on the back for taking HTML courses in the first year of my undergrad degree.

The sun has risen, and rays peek through my window, caressing my left cheek. My eyes go blind for a moment and then adjust to the brightness, my eyes squinting. I sigh as I set up the web page.

Now it's all a matter of waiting. I also need to ask Aiden if there was anyone else present at the location where I was held captive. To be honest, I have no idea where I was held captive.

Sighing, I throw a glance towards the clock that hangs on the wall besides my window. It's almost eight in the morning. It's time for breakfast. Just as I think of breakfast, my stomach rumbles and the hefty smell of eggs being fried reaches my nose.

Grandma must be making my favorite breakfast. Baladi flat bread with fried eggs. It's an Egyptian dish, but has grown on me.

I dash downstairs towards the kitchen, fully expecting to see Grandma, only to encounter a man in the kitchen. The man's back is facing me but I can guess who he is by his physique and the scent that accompanies him. Chocolate and cinnamon.

My lips turn up into a smile as I get reminded of the first time that I had sensed his smell. At the coffee shop. Although I hadn't encountered him. His guards must have had some of his clothing with them or something that day.

Aiden.

My grandma sits at the dinner table laughing at something Aiden says. Her face is bright and a broad smile graces her lip as Aiden describes somebody falling down theatrically.

My smile broadens into a grin but then confusion takes over. Why is Aiden here this early in the morning? I look around to see no guards inside. Even the highly skilled guard is missing.

Then I hear the sounds of laughter. I lean left to see through the back door that the guards are all in the backyard. They are also having breakfast. A barbecue is set in front of them.

Confused I walk in the kitchen but still paste a smile on my face while greeting them good morning. My grandma gets up from the table and comes to me, hugging me tight.

I am overcome with emotion. It was just one day back that she was bound to her own bed. Now if a stranger saw her, nobody could guess what had taken place in the last few hours. She is so strong.

She is my source of strength.

"How are you feeling, my dear Bella?" She asks.

Bella again. Uff. I loved the story of the beauty and the beast. Leave it to her to call me a name inspired by that in front of not only the Alpha King but also in the hearing range of a few royal guards. Embarrassing.

I groan at her but still give her my reply, "I am fine, Grandma. Don't call me Bella."

She chuckles at me and pats my head in a way that resembles an elder patting a kid. I pout at her.

At some point during my interaction with grandma, Aiden must have turned around to look at us. My eyes widen at his state. He's covered with flour. Flour is spread out on his cheeks, his forehead, and the front of his black apron has patches of white. Flour is in his hair too.

I purse my lips, trying to reign in my laughter but fail to control it and burst out laughing, my palms on my knees. He glares at me but then sighs, looking at himself before pursing his lips together in a thin line.

"Yeah yeah. Absolutely hilarious. Glad you are enjoying this."

"Well, I can't deny I'm enjoying this. You look... I just can't describe. It's damn funny."

Aiden rolls his eyes at me and says, "Well, are you going to stand there laughing or are you going to help me out?"

I look at grandma, who is now hosting a smug smile. "Can I help?"

She nods and then takes her place back at the dinner table.

Ok. This is unusual.

Grandma doesn't usually let me help in the kitchen. That means that something is going on in her mind.

I walk towards Aiden and bend a bit, taking out the towels from a bottom drawer under the kitchen top.

I hand one to him and peek at what he's making. It's my favorite. Huh. Why is he cooking this? Grandma must have told him.

I start rolling the batter into small lumps and then flattening by rolling them. He observes me and starts mimicking my actions. Although baladi's are made in a hot oven, we use the microwave in its place.

Soon we are done with making the breakfast. Grandma helps us serve the food. Comfortable silence takes over the table as we eat.

I chew and gulp the last bite as a ding echoes the room. It's my phone. I reach out into my pocket and unlock it. A message pops up on my screen. It's on my fake address. I open it, my hands slightly shaking.

Someone is interested in my research and if my intuition is right, I've got a lead. I knew uploading the complete research report would not create interest. I only displayed the abstract and mentioned I needed funding.

My strategy worked perfectly. A company is ready to fund my research and from the name of it, it must somehow be linked to this mystery, as I don't recognize the name of the company.

My beast yips with happiness in my mind. She's tired of the suppression shots and full of remorse that she could not help me. This news is joyful to her as it means I get to go shot-free for where I'm going.

The company is requesting a presentation for funding my research. Pretty standard, which I expected. I try to control my happiness and my reactions. I don't want Aiden to know about this.

Acting casual, I pocket my phone back and look up. Aiden is staring at me, his expression one of thinking. I don't react in any way and pick up the utensils.

Keeping my excitement at bay, I go through the task of cleaning up the kitchen while Aiden aids me in the chores, handing me the dishes as I wash them.

Grandma still sits at the dinner table, her hand beneath her chin looking at us in interest. I shake my head at her antics. Only the lunar goddess knows what she's thinking.

I am finished with my tasks and Aiden too washes his hands and goes towards Grandma, sitting beside her and starts chatting with her.

"I am going to my room." I announce to them.

They glanced at me for a brief moment before continuing their chatter. It's about Aiden's mom. He listens to her with interest.

There is pain and longing etched onto his face and it tugs at my heartstrings. I have had Grandma who filled the shoes of my parents but something tells me that there was no parental figure in Aiden's life. At least not one who is very dear to him.

I want to hear the stories but there's something more important that requires my immediate attention. Regretfully, I glance at them once again before focusing my mind on the goal.

I go to my room, quickly shutting the door behind me and book my ticket to London. They want an offline presentation. It's risky but what other choice do I have? I may die in the process but if things go right, I might be able to solve this mystery.

Now all I need to do is escape from here. The flight is booked for the early evening at four p.m. It's already eleven in the morning. I quickly pack up but plan on carrying a back pack.

I should inform Grandma, but no. She will worry. Maybe I should lie. I can say that I'm going to visit Alberta for company-related paperwork. But I need to handle my uncle too.

I sit on my bed and take a deep breath, focusing on him. He stirs over the link.

'Uncle. I need your help.'

'Aurelia dear. What's wrong. Why are you mindlinking me and not video calling me?' His concerned tone echoes through the link.

' I have a pitch for funding for my research. But Grandma is worried and not letting me go. So I need your help. I am going to lie that I'm going to meet you. Please cover up for me.'

Even though he's my uncle, there's not much of an age gap between us. Sometimes it feels like he's my elder brother. He will cover up.

'Why would she be worried?'

His voice even over the link is filled with suspicion. Oh no. He would stop me from going if he knew about the recent kidnapping attempt on me. I have to make up a story. Another lie.

'Well, you see somebody was attacked at my office. He's in coma now. She's worried I'll be attacked too. But you see, that's why I'm pitching at the other place. So I don't get entangled in this.'

This must be enough to console him. I immediately sensed his guard going down.

'Huh. Fine but you have to link me every other hour to let me know you are fine. Else...' He trails off, not finishing the sentence.

He doesn't need to, though. I understand. My eyes well up at his care. He's the only family I have except for Grandma. But he stays in Alberta. Taking care of business.

He hopes to shift his office to red deer one day. And, given the rate at which the company is growing, he will return home soon.

'Okay,' I affirm, agreeing to him.

'Well, then take care, kiddo. I've got your back. I have to go; I have an important meeting. We will chat later.'

The link goes off and I let out a sigh of relief. Quickly I pack my bags, keeping all the necessary things. Initially I think of not packing my shots but then decide against it. Who knows what the situation will be? May be I would need them.

Soon I'm done with packing and I go downstairs to inform Grandma and Aiden of my plan.

Grandma initially hesitates but then gives in. Aiden, on the other hand, just nods, his jaw clenched. Why is he so worked up over it?

Aiden narrows his eyes at me and says, "Okay. "

Ok. Just that. Nothing more. No insisting on security. He's not convincing me to stay either. I thought it would be hard to convince him but he just says okay.

I pull my brows together in confusion but now Aiden's clenched jaw loosens and he smirks at me. His expression shows he knows something I don't.

Something in my gut tells me that this is not going to be as easy as it looks.

I mentally pray to the lunar goddess to keep him away. I don't want him to become more involved in this mess. I don't want him to suffer. He's my only friend and I want him to be happy. And anyway, the werewolf kingdom can't afford to lose him.

Word Count: 2183

So that's another chapter done!! We are fast approaching 1.5k views!!

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro