Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I walk to the cash register at the end of the counter. The cash register looks like a regular cash register that you would see in normal cafes or teahouses, except that it only has three keys where the number keys are supposed to be and there is no drawer for cash. I key in a pattern with the three keys on the cash register and a receipt is issued. The receipt issued is also different from the receipts you get from regular cafes or teahouses. 

Barrett, Paul / 63 / Male

Debts:

Fuelling / Murder / Racism

I repeat twice but with different keying patterns each time and the register issues another two receipts.

Yang, Lucy / 8 / Female

Debts:

Ignorance / Abuse / Misogyny (minor)

Petra, Obryn / 17 / Male

Debts:

Aiding / Torture / Abuse / Murder / Racism

I grab the receipts and walk towards the three of them, passing their respective receipts to each of them. "Here are your receipts. Please make sure that you don't lose them. It would do you no good for the next leg of your travel if you lose those receipts."

"You might be lost for eternity if that happens." I sneer in delight. "Off you go, Follow the corridor by the corner and walk straight through the door."

As if it isn't a strange request to be told to enter deeper into the teahouse, the three of them follow my instructions without a word of protest like the millions of people who came through the door of this teahouse before them.

When Mr. Barrett who is at the front of the line opens the door in a daze, there is a shift in the pressure of the room. I shudder even when I have experienced it countless times. Mr. Barrett is the first one to step over the doorway, then it is Lucy's turn, followed by Obryn who doesn't close the door behind him like the rebellious teenager that he thinks he is. Even so, the door snaps back shut once the three of them were through.

"Well, I guess it's closing time." I say to no one in particular as I clear the counter of used teacups and teapots.

While I clean up, let me finally tell you who I am. I'm the owner of the Midnight Teahouse. 

The door to the teahouse exists everywhere and nowhere simultaneously. You might've even passed by the entrance without knowing it. Do you remember that unassuming door in that alleyway? Or that grand entrance gleamed in gold? Those are only two of the thousands of entrances to my humble teahouse.

Even though the entrance takes many forms, one thing that's constant is the ox-headed and horse-faced totems you see when you first step through the door. But I've been here long enough to know that ten out of ten people don't notice those totems when they enter. It might be a sign for me to change the interior. Let me know if I should when it's your time to visit me.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro