Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

This caught the attention of Mr. Barrett.

He was in the midst of taking another sip of tea but stopped with the full cup of tea still in his dominant hand. "Start?"

I nod. "Yes, Mr. Barrett."

I took a look at him and continue. "Why don't we start with you?"

Mr. Barrett has been sipping on his tea in his corner the whole time, not paying attention to the rest of the customers and their interaction with me. The effects of the tea should be showing by now. I can't wait.

Mr. Barrett looks confused for a moment before he starts blinking rapidly like he is trying to capture all the images that are shown to him on a film reel. A film reel only he could see. If anyone is taking notice now, they might say that I have a hungry smile on my face as I look at Mr. Barrett. Well, frankly. That's just unfair. Other people have resting bitch face, I just happen to have a resting bitch smile. 

Mr. Barrett's eyes finally stop fluttering. If his face is an art piece in an art museum somewhere, I'm pretty sure that it would be named "Shock". Or maybe "Disbelief". Or maybe.. Just maybe. "Remembering Something That I Desperately Tried to Bury".

"So. Mr. Barrett. Would you like to start?"

"I-" Mr. Barrett starts but stops as if his throat is suddenly parched. He drinks his tea in one shot during the pause but still couldn't seem to start his story.

Seeing how Mr. Barrett is having a hard time putting words to his thoughts, I take the teapot in front of him and refill his teacup.

"Here, drink more."

Mr. Barrett nods in appreciation and politely receives the tea. When he is finished with it, he still doesn't start his story right away. As patience is not my strongest suit, I decide to prompt him myself.

"I believe it happened when you were twenty." I lean over the counter between us and look into his eyes.

"Y-yes."

"What happened?"

"I was in my second year of university." Mr. Barrett finally started. Lucy who insists that she is Luke and even the rowdy teenager Obryn sit silently as they listen in, all the while sipping on their own teas.

"I was in a fraternity. And like all fraternities, we have hazing seasons for the newcomers. And I happen to be on the committee that one time."

"And?" I can't stop the excitement bubbling in my chest as I intuitively know that a good story is definitely coming.

"At the time, there were six newcomers. One of them was Deiondre Smith. He was the first black student who entered our frat." Mr. Barrett pauses and pours himself another cup of tea before swallowing air and continuing.

"I killed him."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro