Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I got called into Brian's office the following morning, unsurprisingly.

Flipping off the most elite member of the team surely didn't make the best first impression, and I would bet my entire paycheck that Connor ran right upstairs to complain and get me fired.

Was I supposed to ignore how conceited he was? God, he was infuriating. Thinking I took this job to get a second chance at sleeping with him? A part of me is grateful he assumes I'm some money-hungry puck bunny. It means he truly doesn't know me, and I want to keep it that way.

"Aria," Brian greets with a...smile? "Please, take a seat."

I fully expected to come into a room to a brooding, miserable Brian—a version of him I'm thankful to have only experienced once. Esme and I had snuck out to a party during high school, and when we returned, Brian had been waiting patiently in a chair for us in the hallway. I'll never forget the hard lines of his face, his mouth set into a frown.

But now, he's fully relaxed, sitting behind a large mahogany desk with his hands folded on his stomach. If he weren't the team's general manager, I'd assume he was a player himself back in the day. Tall, broad-shouldered, and a kind of chiseled face you take one look at and know not to mess with. He used to have chestnut hair back in the day, but specs of gray have long since peppered the brown. I've always liked him better with the gray, anyway. It makes him more distinguished.

I'm not sure how I make it to the seat across from him, but suddenly, I'm sitting down. Brian must notice the perplexed expression on my face when he asks, "Are you okay?"

"Hm?" I snap out of my thoughts, bringing my eyes to his. "Yeah. I mean, yes. Sorry, I just..." Well, I can't exactly tell him I flipped off his most prized player yesterday. Clearly, Connor didn't say anything, and I'm not sure what to think about that. "Not much sleep last night," I admit.

Brian's eyes soften, causing guilt to eat me alive. "You still have the nightmares?"

"Sometimes," I say in a voice quieter than I recognize. It's not a lie. The vivid dreams of that night often haunt me and stir me awake with a jolt or a scream, depending on how long they last.

Brian has been like a second father to me, and his questions are just him being concerned. Maybe that's why I decide to be honest. "I thought you asked me to come in because I was in trouble."

He arches a brow. "Trouble? Why? Should you already be in trouble, Aria?" When I don't respond right away, he releases a hearty chuckle. "Don't think I've forgotten your high school years with my daughter. You were often her worst influence."

God, that feels like forever ago. I was a different person then before everything changed. Before my stupid, adventurous personality and spur-of-the-moment ideas turned my entire world upside down.

"Is there something you need me to do?" I ask.

Realizing I need a subject change, he dips his chin in acknowledgment. "I just wanted to see how yesterday with the boys went. They can be..."

"Rambunctious?"

He laughs. "I was going to say assholes, but sure. Let's go with that term instead."

My lip quirks to the side. "I didn't get a lot of time with them. It took longer than I thought to get my badge, but they seem nice." I'm mainly speaking of Levi, who was more than helpful. Delightful, even, compared to Connor, who seems to have his hockey stick shoved too far up his ass that he can't think of anyone but himself.

"Well, I'm glad to hear it. I sent over the calendar with the team's schedule earlier this morning. We've got headshots tomorrow for the upcoming season. Our social media manager will be there if she needs anything specific from you, but otherwise, it's your show to run."

My show to run? I'm supposed to control a group of hockey players by myself? My mind strays to yesterday when the team was already jumping down each other's throats. Something tells me I'll be in way over my head.

"I already spoke with them and gave them a warning," he says as if reading my mind. "They understand to behave themselves. After our last photographer, I want to ensure you're treated with nothing but the utmost respect."

I don't mean to do it, but I scoff before I get the opportunity to stop myself.

"Something funny?" Brian asks. A pause of silence stretches between us before he asks, "Did something already happen?"

Now would be the perfect time to tell him what an absolute ass Connor was to me yesterday. I could definitely throw him under the bus, but for whatever reason, I stop myself. After all, he didn't run back and tell Brian about the flipping-off incident. The least I can do is keep my mouth closed, too.

"Nothing's funny," I start, getting distracted by the floor-to-ceiling windows of his office. They overlook the gigantic parking lot of the stadium, the city skyline not far behind. "But you don't have anything to worry about. The last thing I want to do is have relations with a cheeky, self-entitled hockey player."

"Ah." Brian smiles wider. "I see you've met Connor?"

My tight-lipped smile tells him all he needs to know. I'm not going to snitch, but I also won't deny that he's a prick if I'm asked or if it's insinuated.

He folds his arms behind his head, leaning back in the leather chair. "At least someone is resistant to his charm."

"I wouldn't call it charm," I mutter. Far from it.

He shrugs. "You'd be the first to think so. Anyway, I just wanted to do a quick check-in to see how you're settling in. Your father called to ask how you were doing."

My body instantly tenses at the mention of my parents. I haven't spoken to them in weeks. Usually, it's a ten-minute conversation to update them on any big, life-changing events that have occurred, but it never includes small talk. I'll admit, it's mainly my fault. After they moved to New York, to the other side of the freaking country, our conversations have been few and far between.

And that causes an ache to form in my chest that I'm normally better at keeping locked up.

"You should call them," he suggests. "They miss you, Ari."

Ari.

Brian knows just what buttons to press to put pressure on the walls I've put so much energy into building up. Nobody has called me that in years. Not since....

Rising from the chair, I don't need to explain why I'm leaving or cutting this meeting short. Technically, he's my boss, but Brian also knows he pushed me too far by calling me that. He knows better.

"I'm sorry," he tries, but I clear my throat to stop him.

"What time are the headshots tomorrow?"

His eyes are filled with pity, and if there's one expression I hate more than anything else, it's that one. "Two," he says, his voice raw.

"Perfect."

I storm out of his office with tears burning the backs of my eyes, but no matter how much I try to blink them away, they refuse to accept defeat. It's been forever since I've heard that nickname, and now it's playing in a much higher-pitched voice on repeat over and over again, never easing up. 

My chest is on fire from all the different emotions flooding through it. From everything Brian said to having to take the team's headshots tomorrow. I know it's my job, and I love taking photos. Hell, who wouldn't want to take pictures of sweaty hockey players all day? But that means taking a certain hockey player's picture, and I'm dreading it. Mainly because our night together hasn't stopped playing in my mind since I saw him for the first time in years, and the last thing I need is to stare at those lips of his through a lens.

Rage, lust, sadness, and guilt sweep through me like a tidal wave as I approach my car. It's the middle of September, and the weather in LA can be hit or miss. Today, there's a cool breeze hinting at the start of Fall, and just for a second, I allow myself to stand here and allow the whisps of air to calm me.

I inhale deeply through my nose, and when I'm finished, I let out a whoosh of breath, deciding that I'm going to take about three glasses of wine to the face as soon as I get back to my apartment. I should be focusing on packing since I'm supposed to move at the end of the month, but instead, I need to forget everything that links to that tragic night and the months following it.

No matter how tempting some of those links might be.

Author's Note:

Ok why does it feel like these votes are coming quicker than SWTE??? Lmao are you kidding? 175 votes OVERNIGHT? On only the SECOND chapter?

Ummmm

I truly don't know what to say lol

This chapter is kinda a background chapter to give you more insight on Aria, so I'll keep the vote count low for this one. 150 votes, 150 comments for the next chapter immediately!

Twitter: believeeexoxo
Instagram: deannafaison_
Tiktok: authordeannafaison

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro