21| New Beginnings

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Ray and Nora sat on the plush, gray-colored U-form sofa in the living room when Sam joined them. The room was filled with quiet anticipation as they waited for Samantha to return. The smell of freshly brewed coffee lingered in the air, mixing with the faint scent of vanilla incense that Ray loved to burn.

"Is everything okay?" Ray asked as Sam stepped into the living room area.

"The usual," Sam said with a sad smile. Her mother called to remind Sam of her duties to the family, firmly requesting a return to New York.

"How is your grandmother," Nora asked, griping the coffee mug.

"She is okay, but still I need to return to New York as soon as possible," Sam said, sitting beside Ray, he hugged her slightly rubbing her back.

"Speaking of moving," Nora said with a small tremble in her voice. "I have some news. I've decided to move in with Samuel."

The room fell into a stunned silence. Ray's brow furrowed in confusion, while Sam's eyes widened in surprise.

"Samuel?" Ray echoed, trying to process the information. "You mean, your so-called friend Samuel?"

Nora nodded, her smile unwavering. "Yes, that's right. We've been talking about it for a while, and we feel it's the right time."

Ray leaned back, his mind racing. "But Mom, he's much younger than you. Are you sure about this?"

Nora's expression softened, understanding his concern. "I know it seems unconventional, but I've never been happier. Samuel makes me feel alive again. He's kind, and supportive, and we love each other. I know it might seem sudden, but we've been dating for a while."

"And both Logan and I knew that," Raymond confirmed, staring at his mother.

Sam reached out, placing a reassuring hand on Ray's arm. "If Nora's happy, that's what matters, right?"

Ray looked into Sam's eyes, finding a semblance of calm in her gaze. He sighed, turning back to his mother. "I just want to make sure you're not rushing into anything. You've been through a lot."

"I appreciate your concern, Ray. But I've thought about this a lot. I need to follow my heart," Nora said.

Ray nodded slowly, his protective instincts still buzzing. "I just want you to be safe and happy."

"I am," Nora assured him, her voice filled with conviction. "And I hope you can be happy for me too."

Sam smiled, her heart warming at the sight of Nora's joy. "We are happy for you, Nora. It's just a bit of a surprise."

Nora laughed softly, the sound like a gentle breeze. "I know. But life is full of surprises, isn't it?"

Ray couldn't help but chuckle at that. "Yeah, it sure is. So you are kicking Logan out, that what you mentioned earlier that he is moving out."

"You boys grew up and I can be proud of what both of you became, your brother will be fine, he needs to learn independence," Nora explained.

"I can agree to that," Ray laughed, lifting a mug to his lips.

The living room conversation with Nora left Ray and Sam in a contemplative mood. As the evening shadows deepened, they moved to the kitchen, seeking solace in the familiar routine of making dinner together. The rich aroma of freshly cut tomatoes mingled with the scent of their shared hesitation.

Ray leaned against the kitchen counter, watching Sam as she prepared the food. The soft chops on the wooden board brought a comforting sound.

"What's on your mind?" Ray asked, sitting in front of Sam.

Sam sighed, her shoulders sagging slightly. "I've been thinking about the move. It's such a big change, Ray. What if we're not ready?"

"We'll figure it out, New York is a fresh start for us," Ray said. "You wanted that for a while."

Sam nodded, but her expression remained troubled. "I know, but it's not just about the move. It's about leaving everything behind. The good and the bad. It feels overwhelming."

"I get it. It's a lot to process. But we need this. A new beginning, away from the memories that haunt us here."

"You're right. It's just hard to let go. Especially with everything that's happened," Sam agreed, tossing chopped vegetables to the bowl.

"We're not running away, Sam," Raymond said. "I know you think that way, but we planned for weeks."

"You're my rock, Ray. I don't know what I'd do without you," She lifted her blue eyes lovingly looking at him.

Ray smiled, a mixture of love and determination in his gaze. "And you're my strength, Sam. We'll get through this. One step at a time."

"We need to talk about the practicalities," she said, her voice steadier. "Selling the house, packing and logistics of our stuff reaching New York."

Ray nodded, pulling out a notepad from a drawer. "Let's make a list. We can tackle it one thing at a time."

Sam smiled, appreciating his pragmatic approach. "Okay. First, we need to deal with my apartment, we can pack my stuff, and find a real estate agent and they can sell the place, we don't even have to be here for the sale,"

Ray jotted down the task. "Got it. And we should start sorting through our stuff. Decide what we're taking and what we're leaving behind from this place as well. I was thinking, since Logan is now homeless he could stay here, maybe?"

"It's not like we need money," Sam confirmed. "So he could just live here, you can take rent or whatever." Ray agreed with the nod.

As the final preparation for dinner came to an end, the front door opened and closed with a loud thud. Spot ran into the kitchen his tongue hanging low, suggesting he was tired after the long walk.

"Molly!" Sam exclaimed as her friend reached the kitchen, her head hung low, and her blond hair seemed messy.

Molly sat on the stool, next to Ray. "Something smells good," she said in a singsong voice. "The weather is way too hot and Spot is way too fast," She huffed, explaining her disheveled appearance. "What you two up to?"

"I will eat later," Ray said, staging up from the stool. "Need to make a few phone calls." Sam gave him a reassuring smile, there was a chance he really had some business, but Sam guessed he left the girls alone so that Sam could talk to Molly.

"Grilled Chicken and Greek salads," Sam said, placing a plate with food in front of Molly.

"Greek Salads, my favorite," Molly scanned the plate. "Let me wash my hands." She swiftly moved to the sink. "What did the cops say?"

"Plenty," Sam said, landing on the stool. "Nothing I want to talk about, in conclusion, we can move to New York. When are you going back to Vancouver?"

Molly sighed, her shoulders slumping slightly. "Well, I'm not going back to Vancouver."

"Why?" Sam asked, cutting the grilled chicken into pieces.

"Mason and I broke up," Molly admitted, joining Sam, and sitting on the stool next to her.

"And you just telling me now about this? What happened?" Sam asked, staring at her friend.

Molly took a deep breath."We just couldn't make it work, his schedule is crazy. It felt like we were constantly fighting, and neither of us was happy. So, I decided to go back to New York, then Ray called about the shooting so I hopped on the plane to LA instead, all my stuff at my parents' house at this point," Molly explained, staring at her plate.

Sam squeezed Molly's hand. "You did the right thing. Sometimes, it's better to walk away than to stay in a toxic situation. But moving back with your parents might be not such a good idea."

Molly nodded, looking at Sam. "I know, but I will make it work. It just feels like I've failed, you know? Mason was the only good thing in my life."

"You didn't fail, Molly. Relationships are hard, and sometimes they just don't work out. It's not your fault, and you can find plenty of new things to look forward to," Samantha reassured her friend.

Molly looked at her with gratitude. "Thanks, Sam. I will work with my mom on her wedding business for now, and hey we will live in the city," Molly smiled.

"What happened with Andrew?" Sam asked.

"Oh God," Molly laid her head on the counter. "Courtney was all over him, after you went to sleep or whatever and he looked so uncomfortable, and well he is very hot," Molly nervously laughed. "One thing led to another, he left though, like nothing that major happened."

"He is a great guy," Sam said, digging through her salad with the fork.

"I noticed," Molly said, slightly smiling. "Don't worry I won't start anything new," Molly rolled her eyes. "I was just drunk, which I know is like the worst excuse but the only one I have right now."

The girls consumed the dinner, talking and laughing as they reminisced about old times and shared their hopes and fears for the future in New York. The bond between them felt stronger than ever, a testament to the resilience of their friendship.

As the evening wore on, the conversation shifted to more practical matters. They talked about the logistics of the move, and Molly offered to help with packing. The atmosphere became lighter, filled with a renewed sense of purpose and hope as Ray joined the girls in the living room. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro