28. The Red Moon

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Tommy kicked the dust around his feet as he walked around the rooftop of the temple. A cigarette hung loosely from his lips as he halted and stood in front of a large flood light as big as the roof itself, sending the colour red up into the night sky.

"You remember when we entered the perimeter of the temples? Those weird stone brick towers that were surrounding the entire area?" He breathed in the intoxicating smoke, cringing in the process.

The high priest's choice of cigarettes was not to his liking. It left a bitter and unpleasant taste on his tongue, but it would do for now until he restocked on his favourite brand.

"Yes. I wanted to ask what they were for," Baden responded.

Tommy tilted his head up and looked towards the red moon. He squinted until he saw what he could best describe as a very large lens covering the entirety of the temples and the surrounding area where the festival was held. The way they had positioned the lens made it impossible to see without an extremely good eye, and naturally, everyone was too bothered by the sacrifice to actually look properly.

"They are temporary structures that hold a glass lens up over the temples, and I presume there are similar ones over the towns throughout the island. The priests must put them up in secret every year."

"What for?"

"It's like a filter. The red light shines against the lens, giving the impression that the moon is red." Tommy tapped his foot against the large floodlight. It had a dimmer setting, which explained how the moon gradually turned red. "When you draw your attention away from the moon and look towards the stars, you'll notice that they are being affected the lens as well and look red."

Baden looked up into the clear night sky, drawing his attention away from the moon, and squinted towards the stars. Tommy was right: the stars looked like rubyies glinting brightly in the sky rather than diamonds.

"I thought it was odd that the moon would turn red on a yearly basis when the rest of the world only saw it every one hundred years," Baden commented.

"You heard the mayor earlier when he was talking with Blondie. The whole festival is a con to gain money and offerings from the villages of the island. It throws the fear of God in their faces if they don't comply." Tommy lifted his foot up high into the air. "It's an insult to the ancient gods." Tommy cursed under his breath. He was a strong believer in the ancient gods. "Which is where you come in, Baden. In your puppet form, you can fool them into thinking you're their god. They need you right now. Otherwise, all hell will break loose, and a lot of people will get hurt."

Baden nodded in understanding, and Tommy slammed his foot down on to the red light. Glass shattered everywhere, and the source of light frizzled out like a burnt-out match.

However, the moon was still red. Not as bright as it once was but still red enough to fool the locals. Tommy cursed. Of course, that wouldn't be the only source of the light. There were more, hundreds of them dotted all over the place. He didn't have time to smash them all.

How was he supposed to get the moon to turn back to normal?

He thought to himself, his finger and thumb rubbing his lips. He then snapped his fingers when an idea popped into his head. It wasn't the best idea in the world, but the only one they had left, and he started to tell Baden what he needed to do.

☠️

Jessica felt safe and warm in Levi's embrace. After everything that had happened, she was glad to be in his arms. The hug reminded her of her father. In fact, it made her miss Zachary Flint. She needed to find him, she needed to make sense of her life and why during the time she needed him the most, he wasn't there for her.

However, being in Levi's arms reminded her of how weak she was. That even after all her training with the sword on the island these past two years, she still needed somebody to come and save her. She didn't want to be that type of person, the damsel in distress.

Never again!

Not if she wanted her revenge against the man that ruined her life. She had a long way to go, and being stuck on this island wasn't going to get her anywhere.

"Levi..." she whispered and buried her head into his shoulders. "I want to be able to fight my own battles. I want to be stronger.

Levi chuckled and pushed her back from his embrace, his hands still placed firmly on her shoulders and a big, cheeky grin on his face. "Then join my crew!"

Jessica couldn't help but smile uncontrollably and nod. She noticed the glint of a sword's hilt strapped to his back. He still had her sword and her locket. She took both items back and thanked him for looking after her most treasured belongings.

It was then she noticed the rowdy crowd of the festival. They shouted towards the priests and the temple guards, angry that they had been tricked all this time. They looked ready to fight, and already a commotion had started when people started to angrily topple over market stalls in anguish.

It wasn't long before a fight broke out between the citizens of the island and the temple guards.

"Stop!"

A voice echoed loudly across the streets, and everyone froze as they looked up towards the roof of the temple, which was covered in a cloud of smoke. The voice turned into a coughing fit, and a wooden puppet appeared, wafting the smoke away from his face.

"Baden?" Levi scratched his head as he stared up at his shipmate. "How did you turn yourself into a puppet?"

People along the streets started to mumble and talk amongst themselves. It wasn't until they saw a clear view of Baden that they started to scream in terror that a living puppet stood on the roof of their temple.

"Do not fear me! It is I, your God!" Baden lifted his arms up into the air as he pretended to be their messiah.

Simultaneously, all the crew face-palmed themselves, shaking their heads in disbelief. Except for Levi, of course, who had murmured, "cool!"

The crowd started to talk amongst themselves, wondering whether or not the puppet was, in fact, their deity. Jessica spotted Tommy poking his head over the rim of the temple wall, and he waved his hand at her, miming at her to play along. Jessica's immediately understood the plan.

"It is true." She stood tall on the altar table as she spoke out to the large crowd. "He is our Messiah. I prayed to him that he spare my life, and so he undid the black magic the priests placed on to me to show you, his loyal followers, that you had been deceived by the very people you trusted the most."

Jessica put on the most convincing act she could muster, allowing the tears to stream down her face as she bowed down to Baden in thanks.

The crowd seemed mostly convinced by Jessica's actions as they spoke amongst themselves. Most of them were nodding and agreeing, some even kneeling down on their knees, bowing in respect to their deity.

It seems Lady Jessica understands where I'm going with this plan. Tommy smirked in approval from where he sat hidden on the roof of the temple. He would get along well with her. He could already see a great friendship blossoming between them.

"D-did I?" Baden mumbled.

Tommy smacked his leg and glared at him with a nodding head.

"Yes, I did!" He once again lifted his arms up into the air. "I heard Jessica's prayers and saw what was happening, that you had been deceived, and I could no longer let such heinous acts be committed in my name. Therefore, as your god, I shall punish those who tricked you, and I no longer require your thanks in the form of a human sacrifice..." He paused. "Instead, I only ask that you be so kind as to offer me your rum!"

Tommy dragged a hand down his own face. What the hell was he thinking?

"Rum?" a man from the crowd shouted out. "What sort of offering is that?"

"Would you rather sacrifice your daughter or wife?" Baden countered.

"Rum is fine," the man squeaked and hid amongst the crowd.

"I thought as mu..."

"How do we know you're the real thing?" someone else shouted, and the crowd nodded in agreement. "One girl saying you're a god isn't enough. Prove it!"

Baden was lost for words, not exactly knowing what to do next, and looked back at his silver-haired friend for help. For Tommy, the opportunity couldn't have come at a better time.

"Remember the plan. It's Levi's time to shine." Tommy knowingly smirked.

Baden nodded in understanding.

"You dare ask me for proof?" he shouted, his voice loud and frightening, and his orange fedora hat shadowed over his head, making him look dark and sinister. Some of the crowd started to tremble in fear.

"I'll be more than happy to show you," he chuckled gleefully.

"Don't do that!" everyone chorused at once from his sudden change of personality.

"To prove to you that I'm your god and that I no longer require a human sacrifice anymore, I shall turn the red moon white again with the help of one of my frie- I mean messengers I sent down from the heavens to save Jessica."

Baden pointed a wooden finger down at a very unaware Levi. Jessica elbowed him to get his attention.

"Levi, I think Baden needs your help."

Levi looked up at Baden with a broad grin.

"What's up?"

"Nothing much, I just need you to punch the moon for me," they chatted casually amongst themselves.

"I can do that!" Levi grinned and started stretching and warming his muscles up as he prepared himself to punch the moon.

Jessica could only describe herself as feeling extremely confused, and she wasn't the only one. Everyone was looking between Baden and Levi like they were mad. Even if he could punch as far as the moon, which he couldn't, how could punching the moon solve anything?

"Er... Levi?"

However, Levi wasn't listening. As soon as he finished his lunges, he prepared himself. He bent his knees, dug his heels deeply into the ground, preparing himself to leap up into the air, and his arm reached back as far as it could go. He sprung forward with a ping, hurtling into the sky, shocking the crowd into silence.

His fist powerfully came into contact with the moon, and to everyone's disbelief, it shattered, sending shards of glass everywhere, and the moon once again turned white.

Gasps could be heard throughout the festival as everyone ducked away from the falling glass. It must be true. The puppet on the roof of the temple had to be their god. Like he'd promised, he'd turned the red moon white again.

What is going on? Jessica thought as she looked at Levi, slightly awestruck by what happened as he landed back on the ground next to her. He couldn't have punched the moon. It was impossible.

Levi pouted, his shoulders slumping forward. "Not fair. I could have hit it if it wasn't for the glass that got in the way."

Jessica laughed, finally working it out, and tugged Levi into a hug. "What are you talking about? This is what Baden wanted! You did it! You turned the moon white! Just look at the people. They don't look angry anymore."

However, Levi was still upset that he hadn't actually punched the moon. Jessica shook her head and rolled her eyes. Only Levi would believe he could punch the moon. Who knows, maybe one day he might.

Jessica breathed out and looked over the once-again-partying crowd. She was happy that they were no longer being deceived by the priests and the mayor. It brought a warm smile to her face.

She looked up to find that Baden had disappeared, and Jessica tugged on Levi's arm. "I think now is our chance to leave before the priests and the temple guards start to suspect Baden was a fake."

Levi nodded in agreement, but as soon as she was about to run off with him, a shiver passed over her body, and a dark, angry shadow loomed over her.

"Die!"

Jessica recognised the voice of the Mayor, followed by the clashing of two blades.

Jessica looked over her shoulder to find the first mate of the Levon Pirates standing guard over her, his red longsword held out in front of him and blocking the dagger the mayor was about to stab her with.

"Alex..." She barely whispered, her heart pounded against her chest as she stared at him with awe.

He was soaking wet, his damp white t-shirt clinging to his toned chest, and he had a dark and determined look on his face as he glared at the hooded priest. It was like looking into the eyes of a demon, and it made Jessica shift uncomfortably. However, she was thankful Alex had saved her. She had been so distracted with Baden on the temple roof that she hadn't noticed the Mayor had awoken and snuck up on her.

Alex pushed back against the mayor and sent one of his spirit attacks flying towards his opponent's chest. A second later, blood spilled out from his flesh, and he collapsed to the ground.

A satisfied smirk was evident on Alex's face as he clicked his red sword back into the sheath on his belt and faced Jessica and Levi.

"Take Jess back to the ship now!" Alex ordered. "I'll find the others and follow on!"

Levi nodded and grabbed ahold of Jessica's hand and scooped her up into his arms. Before she could have a say in the matter, Levi sprinted off using his cursed soul of super speed. A trail of dust was all that could be seen as he disappeared into the horizon.

A lump formed in the back of Alex's throat as he watched his captain take off with Jessica. However, now was not the time to think such thoughts. He had to make sure everyone got back to the ship safely.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro