21: Bdubs

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

My leg heals quickly, but I still don't help the Listeners much. I'm too worried about Scar for anything mentally exhausting. No one's seen him since he was brought in. No one knows what's going on, including Martyn, one of the highest-ranking Listeners. I live with Etho, unable to bear the silent, empty house without Scar.

'Hey, Bdubs, right?'

I look up, surprised, from where I've got lost in my thoughts again, to see Cub, the most important Listener I know. Talking to me.

'Yes?'

'How are you doing?' He sits next to me, 'I believe it was your brother, Scar, that I saw earlier.'

'Scar? You spoke to him? He's ok?' I sit up. ''What's happening with him?'

'He's alright. Physically.' I hide a huge sigh of relief. 'He's interesting. Very loyal to the Hawks. Apparently I'm his favourite.' Cub laughs.

'He's obsessed with you. He's watched the illegal Hawk film you're in a billion times... 'This is Officer Cub, CF_135, in the VX_5...'

'...We are clear for takeoff,' Cub finishes. 'They banned that film? Really? They were so scared of people remembering me?'

'Scar didn't care that it's illegal... he doesn't care about much...' I sigh. 'I knew it was going to hurt him some day... Crashing next to a Listener base...'

'We're not that bad, are we? We're letting him go today. That's why I found you. He's being taken to the Hawk base, so they don't think he's working for us. And he's being freed.'

'Really?' I try to hide my excitement and relief. 'I'll see him again?'

'Yeah, we can't keep him trapped ere forever. And the sooner we let him go, the less suspicious the Hawks will be.' I nod, even as another worry comes to mind.

'Cub?' I ask. 'What's it really like to be a Hawk?'

Clearly taken aback, Cub pauses, struggling to answer.

'It's... complicated. You get to fly planes, and make friends, and protect people. But you also have to watch a building collapse on your co-pilot on the command of your leader. Or you have months grounded for no reason.' Another pause. 'Or they turn on you completely...' Almost subconsciously, Cub rubs his neck, some scar I've only heard rumours about. I'm left silent, thinking.

'Is Scar in danger?' Another question I've wanted an answer to. 'If he keeps being a Hawk?'

'Yes.' My hope disappears. 'But he won't accept that. Or that the Hawks, well, Elex, are wrong. I didn't. At first.'

'What's gonna happen to him? When he's brought back? What will Elex do?'

'Get as much information from him as he can. And Scar will give that information, and he'll be safe. For now.'

'For now?'

'He's a Hawk, Elex is a monster. He's going to get hurt. Your job is to care for him when it does.'

'S***.'

'It's a hard job, being a Hawk. So look after him. For me.' Worry for Scar enters Cub's voice. 'Let him know he's a good person. He... reminds me of myself, when I was a Hawk. But I can't let him end up like me, and I don't want him to become just another Hawk mindlessly obeying Elex. So... look after him.'

'Of course.' I barely manage to reply.

Cub smiles a sad smile before standing.

'Thank you, Bdubs. It's been nice to speak with you, man. Now head home and get some rest. You deserve it.'

And he walks away.

I return to my home, not Etho's, to rest. If Scar really is coming home, I need to be here. The place is empty, dark and quiet. I place my Listener badge on the kitchen surface, make some lunch, and spend the afternoon cleaning up, organising.

Until the door unlocks.

I sprint across the room.

'SCAR!' I hug him, as tight as possible. There's a surprised noise back, before Scar hugs back.

'Well hello there Bdubs!'

'You're- You're alive!' I look up at him, tears in my eyes.'

'No Listeners can keep me trapped in their evil base of evil things!' he declares. My mind returns to the day of the failed protest, seeing him carried inside. I keep hugging him. 'And Elex was so impressed when I told him everything that he promoted me to a Hawk Fighter!"

'What?'

'I know, right? And that means I'll be getting my own plane.'

'But... you crashed.' My blood goes cold, seeing him unconscious again. 'Why would he promote you after you crashed.'

'Who told you that I crashed?'

Scar doesn't know I'm a Listener.

I shouldn't know that.

'Grian told me,' I lie, before realising Scar will ask Grian and my cover will be blown. 'But... he doesn't want to talk about it.'

'Oh. Ok! Wait, shoot, you would've been so worried about me...'

He still hasn't answered my question.

'Scar, why would Elex let you be a Hawk fighter when you can't fly planes?'

'I can fly!'

'You crashed into enemy territory. You've been training for less than a month. This isn't good.'

'Well... Grian's also a fighter now, so he can keep training me. He became a fighter because he didn't shoot me, or something like that.'

'He was supposed to shoot you?' My panic triples. 'Shit, Scar, you're in danger.'

'And?'

'What do you mean- You need to quit before they kill you!'

'But it's always been my dream!' I take a deep breath, stepping away from the hug and starting to pace.

'Scar... You crashed a plane. You got captured. Why would Elex immediately put you in another plane?

'Because he's so impressed at my escape! And all the information- ooh, guess, what, guess what? You'll never guess who I saw in the Listener base. Officer Cub! I know, right? Those stinking Listeners blew up his home, kidnapped him, and now they're getting him to talk other Hawks into becoming Listeners.'

He's avoiding the subject. He doesn't get it. He doesn't get that he's in danger and he never will.

'Scar, you crashed every single time you were in that simulation You've already nearly died once, Scar. Flying planes is dangerous. You're not ready for this.'

'Yeah, but Grian's going to be my copilot still and he's an amoyzing flier!'

He doesn't understand.

'Oh, Notch, Scar...' I fight the tears as the truth sinks in. I can't protect him from himself.

I can't stop him dying.

'Wait...' Scar's voice changes. He steps past me, as though spotting something. 'Wait a minute...'

'Scar?'

'I'm going to talk to Xisuma,' he decides, running into his room. I'm left alone, trying to figure out what just happened.

That's when I notice.

The kitchen counter is empty.

My Listener badge is gone.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro