|35|

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

"Goodness, I'm nervous," she said softly as they made their way through the narrow corridor. The music grew louder and louder in sync with her heartbeat until the hall room came into view. Eyes veered in their direction, followed by pin-drop silence, and then everyone bowed in sync.

"Rise," Icarus commanded, his voice coming out deep, strong, and sexy. It sent a shiver down Anaya's spine. She had heard him speak umpteenth times, but nothing could beat the way it made her feel. A feather-like caress to her soul.

The werewolves straightened up, and Anaya found herself looking at them. They were all elegantly dressed for the event, standing close to each other. She wondered if she could fit with them. Not only was she new to the royal lifestyle, but she was also a human. Her conscience screamed at her to flee but then, Icarus tightened his hold around her waist and every concern melted away.

She tipped her head in their direction and smiled. They smiled back in response. That brought her relief, and she found herself relaxing a little more. 

Icarus steered her forward until she could see a few familiar faces. When she saw his Grandmother, she thought of the stone and how it hadn't worked. Her mouth itched to ask her about it but now was not the right time or place.

"You look beautiful, sweetie." Grandma hugged her, and she returned it with a smile. Having a family meant everything to her. She wouldn't trade the familiar comfort and warmth for anything. "Ready for your coronation ceremony?" 

"I don't think I'll ever be ready," she replied honestly. 

Icarus' mom stepped forward and wrapped her slender arms around Anaya, gazing at her with a tenderness only a mother would. "You need not worry at all. We are here for you." 

"That's it!" Immanuel interrupted, making his way towards her. The resemblance between him and Icarus dazed her once more. She looked behind him but couldn't see Ellie. "You want my brother to sin, don't you?" 

"Shut up, asshole." Icarus chuckled and whacked him on the head.

"Don't start here." Grandma scolded them before facing Anaya, affection seeping through her words. "Zarina and I are going to check the preparations. Lisa will fetch you in a while to get ready."

Anaya's eyebrows furrowed in confusion as she watched their retreating figures. "I look ready, don't I?"

Icarus nodded, but he wasn't paying attention. His eyes were on Immanuel who was leaning against the pillar and typing on his phone, a megawatt smile on his face. Icarus could tell the reason behind it was none other than his mate. "How long are you planning to hide her?

He froze at the unexpected question. "Ellie is new to the concept of creatures. Anaya persuaded her to some extent, but she still needs time to absorb it. I am not going to push her, so you'll have to wait."

"Fine. But tell Mom and Dad about it as soon as possible." 

Before Immanuel could respond, Lisa appeared in front of them. She looked incredible in her blue gown, and for the first time, Anaya wondered about her mate and children. She had never asked Lisa about her past, but she knew it was a tragic one. Her eyes confessed it all every time they baked. "It's time, Luna. Please come with me." 

Anaya instantly looked at Icarus. He nodded and wrapped his arms around her waist. But before they could move, Lisa shook her head with a small smile. "I'm sorry, Alpha. You're not allowed to see Luna in the traditional gown until the beginning of the ceremony."

"She is my mate."

"C'mon bro, it's only going to be a few hours."

"I—" 

"It's okay." She brushed her lips against his cheek and took a step forward. He squeezed her waist before letting go. She gave him a timid smile and walked with Lisa, feeling several pairs of eyes on the back of her head.

When they entered the room, she let out a breath, her stance loosening up. Zarina was already there with two more she-wolves of the Imperial Royale pack. Without any introductions, she was whisked into the bathroom, where she was made to soak in the water replenished with essential oil. Anaya believed it to have magic properties because when she stepped out of the bathtub and stared at her reflection, she was glowing gloriously.

She wrapped herself in the velvet robe and padded to the room, finally getting the time to greet the she-wolves. They were the royal dressmakers. A white gown was revealed, so utterly beautiful, Anaya stared at it for a moment longer. It was century-old, yes, but the modern touches were visible. The neckline was low-cut and the bodice was covered in clear, crystal rhinestones of different shapes and sizes. No doubt the gleam of it was meant to taunt the moonlight. The waist was cinched with a satin belt, the skirt flowing outward until it covered the floor up to miles, matching the extended net flared sleeves. The other designer held out a robe made of crimson velvet, a magnificent wolf face embedded on the long trail of the cloak in tones of gold, with a white faux fur mantle attached to the shoulders. 

"It is passed down from one Queen to another. I hope these are to your taste."

Anaya smiled. "Beautiful." 

She sat in front of the mirror, and let Lisa do her makeup to perfection. She was worried it would be too much, but when she opened her eyes and peered at her reflection, she was in awe. One would think it was her natural glow. Lisa twisted her hair into a fancy, intricate chignon, but she insisted on leaving it open, knowing how much Icarus adored it that way. She slipped into her outfit and stilettos, then made her way down the stairs with others.

It was empty. Seeing her expression, Zarina answered. "They are on the pack ground. When it's over, we will go for a run."

"Oh." Anaya wasn't a wolf. Her human strength would never be enough to keep up with them. The thought saddened her. 

There was a loud 'ding' of a bell just as the clock struck 8:30 PM.

"Time to go." Zarina hugged her and grabbed her elbow. They made their way to the ground through a secret pathway inside the castle she didn't know existed. It wasn't too far, but in her heavy gown, she was glad for Zarina by her side. She found herself walking through another entrance which unlocked to an elevated stage.

Howls of excitement filled the air when the werewolves caught a glimpse of her. The wait was over. They were going to see their new Queen. 

She tensed, whether it was from thrill or fear, she couldn't tell. She took a deep breath and dared a look to the front. Several thousand pairs of eyes were trained on her. Panic started to rise. Her eyes darted to the right, but the space was empty. Zarina had moved to stand beside Louis. She blinked rapidly, and just when the urge to flee felt strongest, Icarus held out his hand. 

She wanted to cry then. The relief that washed over her could be seen in the smile that adorned her face. She took his hand, feeling the never-ending tingles course through her. He paused in the centre of the stage and pulled her close. "You are stunning."

Murmurs of agreement erupted. She blushed. The commoners of their pack had also come to witness the ceremony, and she nodded at them, her smile turning bigger.

The Archbishop emerged from the back with a book in his hands. "Is your majesty ready to take the oath?"

"I'm ready."

"Do you solemnly promise and swear to govern the werewolves of the Imperial Royale pack, and the other territories where they belong and reside according to their respective laws and customs?

"I promise to do so."

"Will you to your power cause law and justice, in mercy, to be executed in all your judgements?

"I will."

"Please seal the oath with your signature."

She signed the book and handed it back to him.

"Now your blood shall be fused with the king's to establish the bond with the werewolves." 

A knife was brought along with a bowl. Icarus cut his palm, letting the red liquid tumble inside the bowl. Anaya braced herself, hand out for him to do it. He stared at the knife and back at her, hesitating. "Stay still for me."

She nodded.

It pricked but was tolerable.

As soon as her blood mingled with his, she was hit by a force of emotions that weren't hers, but somehow felt a part of her. She now was one of them, in her head and heart.

The crown was brought. Icarus's mom, Zarina, placed it over her head and stepped back. There was a round of applause, followed by ecstatic howls. Icarus grinned and took her hand in his, rubbing his thumb over her cut. She glanced down in time to discover amber dust filling the cracks, repairing the skin to how it was. She was dumbfounded. The act confirmed his healing abilities. He had said he would explain about it some other day. He hadn't yet. Seeing her expression, he winked at her.

"We now have our Luna Queen, Anaya Bloomfield!" 

Another howl and they all started to shapeshift into wolves. Anaya stared at Icarus, who said, "You ready to sit on my back?" 

"I-I don't think that's a good idea."

"Oh, c'mon. You don't want to wait here for hours, do you?"

He took off his shirt, and Anaya instinctively stood in front of him to block the view of others. Werewolves may not mind stripping in public, and she was sure they all had seen him unclothed but not anymore. The flare of jealousy shocked her. Icarus removed his pants and before she could show any reaction at his obvious arousal, he shifted and let out a loud howl. 

She hadn't felt others shift, but they howled in unison and began to run. Cy strolled towards her, his amber eyes looking down at her. When she shook her head, he nudged her forehead with his wet muzzle. 

"Okay, I'll go!" Anaya yelped. "But if I fall and die, I'll come back to haunt you in your dreams."

Cy nodded, his tongue hanging out. She tickled his fur, and he squatted so that she could climb easily in her long gown.

She held onto his neck and then, they took off into the silent woods.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro