12: MAGGIE

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

-12-

Maggie

I'm in bed. I don't feel like I'm alone in my room. I feel like something is watching me from the shadows.

I hear a noise.

I jolt upright.

"Hello?" I whisper to the shadows.

I hear it again.

There's a creaking noise coming from across the hall.

What is that?!

Slowly I slip out of bed and grab the torch on my bedside table. I creep out down the hallway, my breathing fast and shallow. The shadows seem to move independently around me. I feel like someone is following me, urging me forwards and I spin around.

"Who's there?"

Silence.

I take a breath and continue down the corridor. The creaking is getting louder. I can hear grunting too – it sounds inhuman. I follow the sound, my heartbeat thudding against my ribcage. I stop behind the door of one of the abandoned rooms.

Whatever it is, it's in there.

I take a deep breath.

Don't do it. Don't do it.

My hand lingers on the door knob.

You don't want to know what is in there.

I take another breath. And I push it open.

My body turns cold. I think I'm going to be sick.

Father is facing away from me, thrusting into June against the cabinet. She breathes big, wheezing breaths. Her face is bright red and I notice that food is smeared all around her grinning mouth. He grunts, she moans.

I shine the light on them and father turns his head.

His eyes are wild – his pupils dilated to the extent that his eyes look black. His face is gaunt, skeletal.

He does not look like my father.

He is not my father.

His skin shines with perspiration. He smiles crookedly, his eyes unblinking.

"Do not tell your mother, princess. Do not tell your mother."

I back out into the hallway – vomit making its way up my throat. As I turn to run to the bathroom I hear the grunting start again.

---

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro