21: MAGGIE

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

-21-

Maggie

He leads me to the centre of the orchard then scrapes away a blanket of dead leaves on the floor. In doing so he reveals a rotten, wooden door in the earth. He bends down and, with some effort, pulls it open.

"What....what's in there?" I ask.

"You want to know what's happening to your family? You'll find your answers in there."

I look down into the pit of darkness. I can see a faint outline of steps leading downwards. The groundskeeper gestures that I go inside.

I don't want to go in there.

But as I hesitate I get the feeling that someone is behind me. I turn my head slowly. Mother and father are stood at the kitchen window. Blood covers their clothes, a ghostly grey in the moonlight. They are staring blankly out into the orchard.

"Seven deaths, every seven years," says the groundskeeper. "The cycle has started again. It looks like they have three already. They need to be fed. And it won't stop until they get what they want."

"Who?"

He shakes his head and looks at open doorway.

"I don't dare say any-more."

"Are you...are you coming in with me?"

He shakes his head.

"No."

"What's down there?"

"The girl from the last family tried to stop it. She left what she found out in this room," he says. "Maybe you'll be able to find something."

"Where is she now? The girl?"

His eyes darken.

"Hell," he says, "Like your family will soon be too. Good luck, child."

He turns then stops as though a thought occurs to him.

"There should be a torch on the table at the bottom."

Then he walks away, gently shaking his head.

"Never eat from the apple tree," I hear him whisper into the wind.

---

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro