9: ELIZABETH

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

-9-

Elizabeth

It is the middle of the night. There's a shuffling sound coming from downstairs.

I look to my side. Bradley is asleep. He's practically falling out of bed he's so close to the other side. He moans.

He's really not coping very well with this whole dead girl thing. I don't know what the big deal is.

I don't want to disturb him – I am a good wife - so I creep out from under the covers and make my way out onto the landing. It's dark and the old house groans.

The shuffling is louder out here. I follow it downstairs to the door to the pantry. I hope it's not an intruder. Bradley should be dealing with this sought of thing, not me.

I grab a knife from the counter.

This is most unladylike.

Then I reach for the doorknob.

Swiftly I open it.

My eyes widen.

"Oh dear!" I say, shaking my head. "Oh deary, deary me."

June looks up at me. She's crouched on the floor in the dark, among upturned cereal boxes and empty cans, scooping food into her mouth like the little piggy she is. Grub smeared across her mouth and blouse. Her eyes are wide, afraid.

"I'm so sorry, ma'am," she splutters, bits of cornflakes flying from her wide open trap, "I don't know what's come over me."

I had noticed her gaining weight over the past few days. I wondered how she was managing it on the portions we were feeding her.

Well, now I know.

I smile.

"Don't worry, you eat as much as you like."

"Thank you, ma'am, thank you."

I take a step backwards and close the door, leaving her in the dark.

The snuffling sound re-commences.

I smile again.

I don't think my husband will be fucking this one.

---

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro