[32] The Rainy Night-I

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

The sky darkened along with the terror in their hearts. The rain thickened along with this going-on plot. The wind blew harshly bringing half the drops inside, while the girls listened to each other's reading.

"Werewolf, also known as lycanthrope in folklores, is a creature that has the body of a man, head of a werewolf. With hinge legs, canines and claws, thick fur, it is one of the most dangerous predators recognized in folklores," read Samara while breathing slowly.

She glanced at Violet and looked back at the book, going further.

"The human with traits of a wolf has been mentioned in many holy books, in different literatures. Many incidents have been recorded throughout. Rumours have fled too about hairy men killing people. It has been informed by the observers, that any man can become the Werewolf if survives the werewolf attack, if offends wolves or get bitten by them and survives. It is also found through werewolf fictions that even a minor scratch but deep to spread the poison, the man may become the Werewolf. Moreover, becoming one from wearing magical belts, drinking water from the paws or making deal with the devil are some of the other ways mentioned."

Violet covered her mouth, her heart drowning in feeling strange. "Deal with the devil? Why would someone do that?"

"There's a fictional story, we can read later. First, we need to read more about the creature," whispered Samara absentmindedly, herself being disturbed by the information.

Violet nodded while she continued reading the origin of the creature in folklores. They were barely mentioned in mythologies of different religion but still were scary.

Samara turned the page and read, "Being a Werewolf is a curse, brutally experienced like one when on full moon night, gravitational forces warm up the blood. The Earth pulls the soul of human, the moon pulls of wolf. Suffering extreme physical pain, the man becomes werewolf, his true nature coming out as of a predator. He lusts. For blood, for love, for pleasure. He lusts like a true beast and doesn't leaves the prey. After a kill, a werewolf might not be needing to prey for the next four days. It depends on how big is the kill. But on a full moon night, the werewolf is out of control. He just uses the full moon light as a guiding path to find his prey and kill it to fill the thrill that makes him what he is. A Werewolf."

Both the girls exchanged a glance.

"Typically, a werewolf is warm-blooded even in human form. He would barely feel the cold even in snowy winters. He worships the moon. Canines and claws are not always protruded in the human form but can appear in utter rage. Sometimes, the shifts are uncontrollable too in extreme angry situations. The man will most likely be hairy."

Violet twitched her lips when Samara stopped. "It's getting way too dark," she gave the excuse while forwarding the candle closer.

Violet took the candle from her and read herself, "Werewolf avoids silver since the old-achemical sources offer it's connection with the moon. They are vulnerable to this metal." She gasped while looking wide-eyed at Samara.

"This is helpful," muttered Samara while looking in the book.

"A Werewolf is passionate about everything. His emotions are experienced in extremes. Their eyes speak the volume. The horror of seeing the full moon is masked by the mischief in the orbs. They can heal faster than a human."

Samara gulped while shaking her head. "My brother hasn't healed yet. The marks of his gashes are still there. His stitches are still very sensitive," she exclaimed. "Jeffery too has marks of injuries on his cheek and arms."

"So is of Davis. He was asleep for days because of the extreme injuries," added Violet.

Samara remembered seeing Rodwin's bandages, and mentioned it. "Rodwin too has been dealing with fresh wounds he received from that night in the forest. He didn't heal so soon."

"What about Nathaniel?" asked Violet, furrowing her brows.

Samara lowered her gaze remembering the injuries on his leg when he had returned from war. "He wasn't clean. He too had wounds. His forehead still has marks."

"What about heat? Have you noticed something like that?" Violet asked quietly.

Samara was blank at first. But slowly glimpses of past days came like a gust of wind. The picture of their carriage flashed in her mind. While going towards the castle, Samuel was having difficulty sitting inside both because of his suit being tight and him feeling the heat. But the thought of Violet looking at her brother doubtfully wasn't pleasant. Already, her brother was suffering the hatred from their people and her own father had stopped believing in him.

"No," she answered slowly.

Violet shook her head. "But I remember observing Preston complaining to his elder brother during the award ceremony. He had removed his bow and wasn't drinking wine in fear of feeling heat. He kept walking to the balconies. Do you also remember when Rodwin and Logan hit the boys in fake fight to fool the King? What if the marks still haven't gone off their faces?"

Samara blinked in thought. "We can go tomorrow to observe the training session and check all the features."

Violet nodded enthusiastically. Her eyes suddenly moved to the window. "The rain has calmed down. I must leave now. Mother must be wondering if I am sleeping here only."

"But you can truly stay," Samara got up immediately following her as she removed her dress and started wearing her own. "I am alone here with mother, father and brother are still away. I could have used the company."

"I would have truly stayed, Samara. But mother won't be happy. The cows must be scared in the rain. Mother won't be able to handle them all," said Violet while taking her empty bag. "You must hide these books away from Samuel and your father. Read them when you know you can."

Samara nodded while picking the books and putting them in her wooden cupboard, in between her clothes. "But would you be safe at this time?"

"It isn't midnight yet, Samara. The evening has started. I'll be fine. You take care of yourself," Violet started walking out of the room while Samara followed hurriedly.

"But Violet, I am still not positive. You mustn't leave. It's dangerous."

Samara watched her friend stopping at the dining hall and looking at her when she brought her cloak back from the balcony. "I saved you that night from the beast. Do not worry about me." Violet squeezed her hand while smiling softly. "I must go before the rain gets violent again."

She walked out of the main door, looking back at Samara who was extremely worried. "Don't step outside. Make use of what we have read."

Letting out a huge breath, Violet finally stepped out in the faint rain.

"Do you need a lantern? Its dark." Samara bit her lip while suddenly her mother started calling her.

Violet yelled, "No." She closed the little wooden gate and waved at her. "Lightening above is enough for me to see. You take care of your mother."

With a huge sigh, Samara closed the door and rushed towards her mother who was coughing loudly. She walked into the room to see her forwarding her hand.

"Water. . ."

Samara's heart curled up at her weak voice. "Here," she passed the glass of water while observing her. Her mother seemed weak and worried.

"Has my son arrived?"

Samara smiled sadly. "He is on the way, mother. May I bring the food for you. I made some delicious curry- "

"Yes, please."

Her eyes brightened as she immediately stood up. "I'll go and heat it up."

­­­­­­­­­­______

She must have given Samara extreme belief that she would be fine but inside, Violet was dying in horror. Why would the villagers decide to not come out and lit lights at times like this? This had made the streets more silent and dangerous. With rain and thunder, it was more difficult to walk here safely.

It was all very helpful to read the books. But whatever happened this day, the highlight was getting scared by Logan. What was that he did? Was it an answer to her doubting him? Was it a way to make a joke? Or was it a teasing under the mask of a real joke?

Violet was truly confused. No traits were matching a single person. How would they be able to recognize the beast? She had no business in founding out the identity of the beast. But she had fear of losing Logan if he was to be the beast.

Samara didn't seem as active to her as she should be. Violet didn't blame her. She had been quite disturbed by the turn of events. First, Nathaniel broke her heart. Then, Samuel got suspected. Her mother was not well. Even, Rodwin was attacked. Things weren't easy for her.

But till then, Violet wanted to handle the task at her hands herself. By Logan's act, she had concluded that he was mocking her. He couldn't be the beast since he was with Erasmus even if he was in the jungle. He wasn't out of the hall when screams were heard. And while watching the claw marks, he must have been genuinely scared.

Samara was right. She needed to careful at even talking about their loved ones being unlucky enough to be that beast.

She wished if she was one of the soldier at this moment. She could suggested the ten soldiers to have each other's back and don't let any of them get caught because of being a beast that he never wanted to. It would be unfair if the King would order to kill the beast. But it was equally reasonable as deaths were happening nonetheless.

She was only walking quietly when loud thunder rang around the sky. The rain turned heavy, making her curse and walk to the side instead of in the middle.

Everyone was inside, safe in their homes while she was wanting to solve this mystery.

A loud thud made her stop in her tracks. She gulped and immediately turned around. Her eyes moved around the street, the terraces. But nothing strange was in sight.

It was utter dark. Violet lowered her gaze and looked everywhere. When she found a brick lying at the side, she picked it up for safety. Her heart had started to beat faster, she just realized. Walking slowly so she won't making any noise in the muddy path, she kept looking at the back.

Another thud was heard and this time, it was louder. She stopped again and closed her eyes.

Was it a big mistake leaving Samara's home in this dark? The beast truly won't be this lustful so soon after he nearly killed Rodwin. She should have stayed at home, she thought finally.

She could just take shelter in one of these houses. But how immoral it would be for her mother. Closing her eyes, she took a huge breathe and was about to walk again when she heard footsteps. They were loud, accompanying by rough breathing.

No. No. No. This wasn't fair.

This was residential place, not the woods. She didn't break any rules of the jungle. What if he had recognized her from the full moon night and was taking revenge of her fooling him to save Samara?

Lightening struck, making her take a quick look of the whole street ahead. It was straight but muddy. She might slip but she could outrun him by turning right and hide in the tube well hut which was always open. A faint growl was heard and goosebumps risen on her skin for the hundredth times.

She turned around while clutching the brick shakily. As if the God knew about perfect timing, the lightening struck making her scream when she saw the opened-mouth of the dark furry monster with his canines as sharp as blades.

The brick loosened from her hands as didn't waste much time to turn around and started running. She screamed again, running fast while handling her cloak that felt way too heavy for the speed.

A loud growl erupted from what was following her, Violet fastened her pace while crying hard. She couldn't see in the dark, she didn't know what was ahead but she kept on running to save her life, not having time to even regret more about leaving her friend's home.

Shouts erupted from all over the street as villagers must have sensed the danger.

Lightening burst, making her decide immediately to take the approaching turn but before she could even turn towards it, her foot twisted in the mud. Her scream pierced the rainy thunder.

Before she could even fell, someone grabbed her hand, pulling her towards the lane on the right.

"Run," she didn't know who caught her. In the dark, she couldn't even recognize the voice. "Faster."

She did the most she could while holding on to man's hand and running blindly.

Another growl erupted and the man beside her stopped. In the lightening, she recognized the height and nose.

"Logan?"

But he was staring up at the roof of a house. Violet followed his gaze and saw the creature climbing up on to the third floor of the wooden building while growling hard.

"Come," Logan shouted, while pulling her towards the street. It ended into an intersection where his horse was parked. "Get on it. Hurry!" He yelled, making her jump on his palms and climb on the horse.

Logan climbed afterwards while pulling the ropes hard. The horse neighed and went faster.

"Where are we going?" She shrieked in terror.

He held her waist tightly while yelling, "Off to your home."

She couldn't respond because of the trauma that started to sink. She had to deal with that beast again. And again, she was saved. But Logan's sudden words had revived something in her heart. The courage that had died seeing the beast, was returned. She was ashamed and equally happy.

"Now you know I am not the beast."

______

"What do you think?"

Please vote and comment.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro