~2~

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

I look at the time on the laptop's screen before saving the document I was in the middle of translating, and I release a long sigh before stretching my back and arms, glad to be done with this day of work.

I had to spend a good hour talking with my boss this morning about Yoongi since he would be spending his days with me at work starting tomorrow, and though it wasn't really met with a smile, I was given permission without much trouble when I showed them the doctor's papers.

It's going to be very weird to have him sit in the same room as me while I work, but that was part of the contract - he must remain by my side as much as possible since we never know when my magick will do one of its stupid tricks again.

I tried to get him a comfortable corner ready behind my desk so that he can at least have a space where he can do his own things, but besides the couch and the coffee table, there wasn't much I could request from my department's director.

I'm already given a lot more luxury than the others, in his words, and unless I'm ready to have multiple complaints with my name in a bold font right on the CEO's desk, then I shouldn't ask for more.

I understand where he came from with that though.

Not only do I, a mere office translator, have my own private room to work in since nowhere else seemed to have space for me - one office had been left unused for a year on our floor so it became mine - I am now also allowed a handsome man by my side and a cozy couch during work hours.

My coworkers didn't really like me to begin with, and I can say with confidence that this isn't going to make things any better.

Oh well.

I'm not working here to make friends so it doesn't matter. They can go ahead and say anything they want, Yoongi isn't going to be here to entertain me - he's going to be here to make sure my magick stays under control, which is good not only for me but for everyone else as well.

It's already a miracle that I could keep that job for so long, all the others fired me after a couple of weeks after finding out just how bad my ice crystals could get during hot summer days, but I've been here for six months now.

Must be the air conditioning, thank goodness for that.

I close my Word folders, then shut the office laptop before gathering all of my belongings into my bag, after which I grab my gloves for when I have to push on my wheels for longer than what I know my skin can handle without getting blisters.

Used to get them all the time, until I was recommended those magick hand gloves. Sure made me save on bandages and skin medicine, I keep them with me whenever I head outside now, they're a lifesaver.

After switching off the light behind me, I exit my office and follow the edge of the larger common office where everyone else is working to reach the elevator, very intent on ignoring all the eyes that follow me with a shiver up my spine.

I would've loved to work from home, it would save us all the trouble of having to deal with my necessities like this, but alas, they just have to make me work on important documents all the time that if wrongly translated, could bring the entire corporation a lot of problems.

Thankfully, I have a very kind superior who reads those over when I'm done to avoid that from happening, but still, can't take care of those documents just anywhere, even if it's at my own place.

The elevator's doors open right as I approach it thanks to that very same superior who's like a ray of sunshine in this gigantic building, and he smiles at me while holding the doors open to give me some time to board the small space that we are to share all the way to the main floor.

"Hey, Y/N, how are you doing tonight?" he greets me when the doors close in front of us, and I smile before bowing slightly in his direction.

"Good evening, Hoseok. I'm doing good, how about you? I didn't see you at all today" I ask back with a curious tilt of the head, and he hums with a tiredness that I don't see him show often. Others know him to be pretty strict and cold, but he's a good guy, if only when we're alone.

"It's been a busy day, honestly. I've had to step in for another coworker since she's sick, there were a handful of documents that were needed for yesterday but she couldn't go through all of them fast enough, I was put on the task in high priority. I just got done" he explains with a small shrug, days like these happen from time to time.

"Sucks for you, do you think she did that on purpose?".

He hides a smile behind a hand before clearing his throat, and his serious face comes back on.

"Careful what you say within these walls, miss Seo. She might come for you next if she learns that you know that she couldn't finish her work on time. Again. It's supposed to be a secret".

Silence follows his teasing threat, and we begin to giggle together as soon as our eyes meet again.

"Damn, you're right. I wouldn't want the scary witch to follow me all the way back home... she'd probably complain the whole way before pushing me herself. It's not the fastest ride, this wheelchair, my arms can only push so much before they start to hurt" I let out, amused by the scene that my imagination comes up with.

Thankfully, that should never happen. That would be scary.

"You come to work everyday on your own, don't you? Must be hard, what do you do when it's raining or snowing?" Hoseok asks, suddenly aware of a concept that is often overlooked by car owners and public transport users because they don't have to worry about how they'll get in and out.

Used to be me too, feels like ages ago now.

I make a sound at his question before sighing. It always seems so obvious to me, but for someone who doesn't have to deal with being limited in what transports are available to him, it makes sense that he would ask me that.

"Usually, I call for a teleporter, it's easier to travel that way. They're more expensive than a taxi, of course, but since no taxi around here seems to like disabled people, it's pretty much my only choice. Even put it in my budget - that way, I can get through winter and rainy days without risking to lose my job. Gotta have the mind to adapt when society's after your bones".

The tall man frowns right as the doors open in front of us, and he allows me out of the elevator first before following besides me at my pace.

"We do offer very little accommodations for people like you in this city... Seoul isn't really reputed for its acceptance of anyone stepping out of what they consider 'normal', so what made you come here instead of let's say... Busan? You could have more freedom over there than you have here" he innocently voices another question while we reach the tall glass wall that leads to the employees' parking lot on the side of the building, and I hum with a small smile.

"You'd have to ask my parents for that one, Hoseok. Maybe they'll tell you that they were hoping my legs would miraculously heal after being faced with constant barriers, or that they wanted me to feel like an outsider so that I'd understand my position better - I've not a single clue. I just know that I can't afford moving out when the house is rent-free, that's the only good thing those two did for me".

He doesn't say much after that, eyes staring at me and trying to figure me out, until we stop under the canopy once outside to take in as the rain falls down softly, and I watch as it creates a mirror effect on the asphalt that I know to be most likely slippery.

I sigh. Lucky me.

I should've taken a look at the weather this morning to plan my day ahead, those teleporters can be difficult to hire so last minute when it gets past seven. They make their own schedules so you really have to plan early with them.

Hoseok reaches out a hand to welcome the cold droplets onto his palm, then he looks at me.

"Why don't I give you a ride for tonight, Y/N? I can go get my car while you wait here where it's dry, it'll be less dangerous than you going back home in the dark like this" he offers gently, and though it costs me to say yes, I don't really have that many other options right now.

"That would be... very kind of you, Hoseok. Thank you".

He smiles happily, then grabs his keys before running off under the rain with a hand over his dark hair to where he parked his car while I wait where I am - I simply move to the side as to not block the doors before someone smashes them against my wheels and breaks something.

I glance at the time on my phone, Yoongi must have moved in already by now, right? It feels really weird to know that someone will be waiting for me at home. Someone who I've met... once.

Real weird.

I don't hate the thought though. It's nice to know that someone will be there to greet me instead of the usual silence. Not like I dislike silence, but it gets loud sometimes when the thoughts can't be contained anymore and start to fill the mind.

I look around the parking lot, curious to see what kind of car my superior has, I've never really taken this exit before so I don't recognize any of those vehicles, but my answer is soon answered when a nice car stops in front of me, new model of the year, which isn't surprising considering that Hoseok gains more than twice my salary.

I did hear a few weeks ago that he's part of a large coven as well, so that helps.

He quickly steps out of his vehicle before reaching my side, and he opens the passenger door before turning towards me with a sheepish look on his face. I don't understand why at first, but when he speaks up next, I immediately feel embarrassed.

"So... do I need to help you in? H-how should I help?".

Why didn't I think of that before accepting his offer?

"Right... I'm sorry, Hoseok, I completely forgot that your car isn't made for that. Erm, I'd do it on my own but that probably wouldn't end too well. If you could move aside... it'll be easier if I'm alongside the car" I let out nervously, I haven't had to face that kind of situation often in the past so I'm not used to it.

I would totally understand if he changes his mind about this, but he seems intent on seeing this through when he nods before getting out of the way, eager to know more about the process.

"Not a problem at all, just tell me what to do and I'll do it, though you might have to guide me since it's my first time helping someone that way".

Thankful for his willingness to support me, I smile at him before bringing my chair behind the passenger door, then lock the brakes so I can get my feet off the footrests. I push them to the side and once sure that the chair is secure, I stare up at the man who observes everything with a serious look on his face.

"So... this might make you uncomfortable, feel free to say so if you are. I... I'll need your help to stand up, you'll need to lead me backwards to the seat so I can sit first, it'll be easier for me to get my legs in after that. You, erm, with your arms under my own and around my back, just lift me up, I'll try to help too" I explain awkwardly, this has to be more than he was ready for when he offered me a lift.

"Alright... I can do that, doesn't sound too bad" he mumbles, brows furrowed in concentration as he comes to stand in front of me, and once I've started pushing myself up with my hands on the armrests, he does as told, his legs naturally blocking my knees as he pulls me up towards him.

I had underestimated the entire thing for sure, and now my heart is racing at having my face literally in his chest, his warmth all around me as he gently and slowly moves me towards the passenger seat. Feeling his muscles so closely... that was not something I had meant to know about the man.

Apparently unbothered that I'm literally pressed against him and as if he's done that all his life, he carefully sits me down without knocking my head against the frame, then moves back once sure that I can't fall any lower than the seat, eyes on me and awaiting for feedback.

I clear my throat and look down a bit to hide my embarrassment.

"That was perfect, Hoseok, thank you. Could've fooled me, it doesn't feel like this is your first time at all" I praise him shyly, pink cheeks warming his heart all over again as he smiles brightly, like he was expecting to fail the test.

"Really? That's great, I was so nervous I'd do something wrong, but it's not as complicated as I would've expected. I'll put your chair in the trunk, do you need anything else?".

I shake my head while patting my legs. "No thanks, I'll take over for this part. My wheelchair's one of the newer models so you just need to press a button underneath the seat, it'll fold itself. I've never used it until now, but that felt like a plus in case it would ever be needed one day. You're the first one to try it".

He makes a chirpy noise before crouching besides it, curious to see this magic in action, as am I.

While I grab and pull my legs in front of me, I watch as he presses on said button to activate the process, and it's a soundless maneuvering of metal and leather that bends and folds to take as little space as possible that follows next.

It takes maybe twenty seconds, then it's done, barely bigger than a camping chair. The wheels do make it look bigger, but honestly, what I just saw made all that money worth spending.

"That was neat" Hoseok chirps excitedly before grabbing it with both hands, it makes me chuckle, and I close my door while he fits it inside the trunk before getting in the driver's seat by my side, face bright with delight.

"So, where to, then, miss Seo?".

I roll my eyes before pointing in a direction.

"To the castle, sir Jung, where else?".

---

When we make it to my house, which takes not even five minutes, it's with a rain that had time to come to a stop as quickly as it began, as if it had a mission to complete and it was finally done.

Had I known, I would've waited at work until it would stop to save him the trouble, but Hoseok said that it was too dark outside anyway and that he preferred this over not knowing if I made it home safe or not.

We'd never really interacted much outside of our tasks at work before today, but he's surprisingly easy to talk with and I feel like we get along pretty well despite everything. It's like we've known each other for a long time and it feels great.

Hoseok hurries out of the car to get my chair out of the trunk, and right as he comes to open my door to help me out of the vehicle, my house's front door opens to Yoongi's frowning face.

He carelessly wears his shoes with half a mind to do it before coming over like his job is in danger, and Hoseok doesn't have time to do anything that the newcomer is taking my chair and unfolding it without even needing the magic button, his eyes on me as he does so.

"It's getting late, you could've asked me to come pick you up. I saw that it rained earlier and was worried that you might've gotten in an accident, but I didn't know where you work so I couldn't be stupid and head out anyway" he blurts out unhappily, and I raise an eyebrow at him.

Is he getting mad at me right now?

"I didn't know you had a car, Yoongi. You came with Dr. Wang yesterday, we didn't even talk about that yet, why would I have called you?" I retort, and he scrunches his nose with a silent grunt before locking the chair right where it needs to be.

He glances at Hoseok who stares at us with a curious glint in his eyes, then stares at me again, more bashful this time.

He scratches the back of his neck before sighing to calm himself.

"Yeah. Yeah you're right, sorry about that. The move's been stressful, it took longer than I thought it would and I truly was worried about you when I looked at the time, I've been on edge for over three hours now. Dr. Wang told me that you're more likely to do something dangerous than ask for help and I didn't know what to expect with the sudden rain. Can I help you out of that car?".

I observe him for a few seconds longer before exhaling loudly, and I nod my head because if none of them helps me, I'm going to have to crawl to my chair and... my ego's not bruised enough for that to happen.

He relaxes at that, apparently relieved that he can finally be helpful and get rid of his unneeded concerns, and Hoseok moves around so he can have a good sight of the way Yoongi helps me out of his car and onto my wheelchair, just in case this ever happens again in the future.

He doesn't overdo it, it's quick and easy, and he steps back once I'm sat comfortably.

Hoseok takes that moment to offer him a handshake.

"It's nice to meet you, my name is Hoseok and I work with Y/N. Are you her mate? You two look pretty close, I heard that you just moved in?" he speaks with a friendly tone, and the two of us start coughing in surprise, what was that now?

"I haven't been granted the joy of having mates, Hoseok, and even if he was, goodness, I met Yoongi yesterday, I don't think that's nearly enough to start a relationship with someone!" I exclaim before pulling my last foot onto the other footrest, and Yoongi both feels inclined to agree and grumble at how fast I denied my friend.

He settles for a mixture of both, even though he doesn't know why it annoys him that I indirectly rejected him so quickly, hand reaching out to the other man's to avoid losing face.

"I'm Yoongi, it's nice to meet you too. I'm her caregiver starting today, I moved into her house because it'll be easier for me to keep watch over her magick that way. I was chosen because I also don't have mates, I'll be following her to work starting tomorrow so we might see each other from time to time, I'll be by her side pretty much all the time from now on".

Hoseok is hearing for the first time that my magick requires that I have a caregiver, a worrying thing to hear since he knows what kind of magick it is that I have, and to hear that we both believe ourselves to be without mates is concerning to say the least - though it explains a few things - but he doesn't let any of it show on his face when he keeps his smile going strong.

"I see, I'll be looking forward to us getting to know each other then. We could have lunch together tomorrow, the three of us, what do you think? There's a great coffee shop near work, one of my mates runs it and the food is delicious, it's also accessible for wheelchairs so it's perfect for us".

Yoongi and I share a look, and when I see on his face that he's not particularly against the plan, I give Hoseok a nod.

"Sounds good, we can do that. I wouldn't want to keep you here any longer, Hoseok, you should go to your coven before they start to worry too much. Thank you for your help tonight, you really didn't have to do that" I thank him with a bow, and Yoongi reciprocates with one of his own while Hoseok sighs happily.

"It's no problem at all, Y/N. Let me know if you ever need help again, it'll be a pleasure to step up to the task for you" he muses before going around towards the driver's seat again, and I wave him goodbye when he sits back inside with one last smile.

Yoongi and I both watch in silence as he drives off into the night with a strange sensation in our chest, like our soul is being pulled the slightest bit in the same direction, but when droplets of water begin to fall again, we quickly turn around to head home before it gets too much.

Once inside with the door closed behind us, I accept the towel Yoongi hands me to dry myself off so I don't get sick, and before I even need to say anything, I'm surprised by him pulling out my clean indoor wheelchair from the closet so I can move around without dirtying the floor.

Was he so bored that he did some adventuring while I was at work? I wasn't expecting him to already know what is where, it's... well, surprising.

"Are you hungry? I made dinner earlier because I didn't know at what time you would arrive, it just needs heating up again since it's been a while" he asks as he moves towards the kitchen to give me the space I need while I transfer to my other chair, and I make a sound in answer before starting to dry off the wet metal and wheels with the same towel so I can store that chair in the closet.

Not seeming to need words from me, he replies with a similar noise before making me a plate that he puts in the microwave, his own waiting aside for its turn with the leftovers back in the fridge and - lo and behold, the kitchen is clean and spotless.

For that fact alone, he has my respect, he really does.

I join him by the sink to make myself a glass of water, ice cubes added with my magick to get that perfect temperature that I love so much, and I start drinking it slowly while Yoongi observes me in silence.

Foremost to look out for any signs of an unstable magick, but also because he has nothing to say and staring is what he does to cope.

"So... how was work today? I fixed the bedroom's light while you were gone, it shouldn't cause any problems now" he mumbles when silence stretches out for too long, and I put my empty glass on the counter before finally giving him my attention.

"Oh right, thank you for fixing it, I'd forgotten about that. Work was... meh, it's always the same honestly. I had a space done for you in my office so you can at least be comfortable during the day, but I'm sorry that I couldn't do too much, you'll probably be incredibly bored there".

He dismisses my concern with a wave of the hand before checking the food in the microwave.

"Don't worry about me, I'll bring my laptop with me so I'll be fine. If I have to be honest, it's almost too good to be true - I used to never have time to do what I wanted so this is great, I can work on some personal projects while I'm there. Thanks for worrying about my comfort though, that's... nice of you" he admits before getting the plate out when it's hot enough.

I follow him as he heads to the table to put the plate down where a fork and a knife are already waiting at my usual spot - it's easy to figure out which one since there's only one without a chair in the way - then watch as he walks back to the microwave to put in his plate this time.

"Can I ask what those personal projects are? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I'm just curious" I let out while situating myself properly at the table, and he hums with a shy pout on his face, like he's embarrassed to talk about it.

"I... I've always wanted to be a writer, you know? But writing books doesn't really pay the bills so I've been keeping it as a side hobby that I barely ever have any time for. Being able to live here rent-free is precious, Y/N, I want you to know that I'm super thankful for that. It feels great, knowing that I don't have to work twenty hours a day just to keep a roof over my head".

I rest my chin on my hand as I lean over the table to be more comfortable.

"It sounds like you had it pretty rough before. Giving your freedom away to take care of me isn't really an easy price to pay, that seemed enough to me. I don't pay rent either anyway, gracious gift from my parents, it's no big deal" I let out with a simple tone, unwilling to take the gratitude when I haven't done anything to earn it.

He pauses and turns on his heels to look at me from over the counter, hands tucked in his pockets and his lips pursed prettily.

"Dr. Wang told me about your parents. He said that they stopped being in your life not long after your accident and that I would be responsible for anything related to your health from now on, something about how they don't really care how your magick is affecting you. That sounds rough too".

I nod my head lightly, I've gotten used to that reality of mine, but hearing it aloud like this from him... yeah, it doesn't sound too good, does it?

"They're prestigious people, tall, good looking, never wearing the same outfit twice, you know, classic rich behaviour. When I lost my legs to my magick, that made me imperfect in their eyes, broken goods, so of course they assumed that everyone else in their world would think the same. They got me this house in another city as a farewell gift and then presumably forgot about me. It's probably better that way, you wouldn't like them".

The microwave beeps and he gets his plate before joining me at the table in front of me.

"Yeah, well you wouldn't like my parents either. They kicked me out when I was sixteen after my older brother lied that I was doing drugs, and that was the end of our relationship. I guess we both weren't really blessed with a good family".

I wince empathetically and he smiles knowingly. "It was a long time ago so I don't mind that anymore, but it's a lot more recent for you. I'm willing to listen if you ever want to talk about what it was like living with them, or if you want to cuss them out, I'm fine with that too".

I snort a bit before taking a bite of the meal, it's not incredibly delicious but it's not too bad either. Knowing that he did this for me keeps me from being difficult, I'll eat until there's nothing left on this plate.

"Well, it wasn't that bad, really. I grew up eating expensive food, I was dressed like a doll and everyone appeared to like me, what wasn't to like? Call me oblivious, obnoxious, anything you like, but life seemed good at the time".

I begin to recount a few stories while we eat together, and Yoongi comments from time to time with words of wisdom that make me see things from another perspective, something I welcome with open arms because that's not found in everyone nowadays.

Surprisingly, we talk way late into the evening, right at this table, and I could've never guessed before now how this would become the beginning of something beautiful.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro