41 │falling for you

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

All of the noise fades out and the only thing Morgan can hear is his heart throbbing against his chest. He continues to stare down at Kandice's body, not quite sure of how long he has been standing here. He ignores all the teenagers, some his so-called friends, staring up at him as well as the sirens growing louder in the distance.

He slips away from the railing and backs into the patio door—the one not broken—and slides down it to hit the floor, not caring about the glass beneath him. He pulls his knees up to his chest and begins to sob, crying into his arms as if he were a heartbroken child.

"Okay, no!" Kira laughs as she playfully reaches over to block Paige's paintbrush, already dipped in yellow paint, from hitting the banner. "No way. You can't mix blue and yellow!"

Laughing, Paige bites her bottom lip as she glares up at her. "Why not?!"

The banner is near complete, although it's obvious that each side was painted by a different person. One side has gentle, soft strokes of dark purple and light blue. The swirls at the bottom are perfectly even and precise, looking as if they were carefully calculated before the brush even touched the paper. The other side, however, has rough strokes of dark red and some blotches where the paint accidentally dripped from holding the wet brush over it.

"Because our homecoming theme is not Spongebob Squarepants." Kira smiles, snatching the paintbrush from Paige's hand and sets it in a nearby tray. She looks back at Paige to see she has a small dab of yellow paint at the corner of her chin. She touches her own chin, signaling to her. "You got something..."

Paige wipes at her face but on the wrong side. "Did I get it?"

"No, the other side."

She tries again, missing the paint. She glances back at Kira, smiling. "What about now?"

"Here, let me." Kira laughs as she leans over the banner, her face stopping inches short from Paige's. She uses her index finger to slowly graze against Paige's skin, wiping the paint off, and looks up into her hazel eyes. "There."

Kira, still touching her skin, moves her fingers over to her cheeks. Paige's smile fades as she gazes back at her and, without even thinking about it, she leans in to plant her lips on Kira. The two kiss passionately as Kira leans even more forward, accidentally knocking over a canister of paint.

"Crap." She gasps, pulling away as she quickly picks up the canister. Red paint spilt over the middle of the banner, covering at least one forth of their hard work. She lets out a disappointed sigh and throws her arms out, pouting. "Oh no!"

Her eyes gaze up to a smiling Paige and the two burst out laughing. Paige reaches over for a nearby towel and dabs at the paint. "It's okay. I think it is safe to say that I destroyed that banner long before that happened."

Frowning, Kira reaches out to help clean the mess with the towel. Paige's phone rings from her purse, which sits on the floor near the computer desk. She leaves the towel and crawls over to dig it out, turning back to Kira as she rolls her eyes before answering the call. "What do you want, Riley?"

With the towel, Kira continues to soak the paint up. She mouths the words 'be nice' to Paige.

Eyes growing wide, Paige's smile quickly fades as her hand begins to tremble. She jumps to her feet. "What? Wait, slow down. Cesar and Randy?"

Kira drops the towel while she watches her, not sure of what is going on.

"Oh my god. He wouldn't do that. He's an asshole, but no." She pauses and, for a brief moment, she had forgotten where she was. She glances over at Kira. "Okay, yeah. I'll head over."

"Is everything okay?" Kira asks worriedly as she watches her hang up the phone and toss it back into her purse.

Paige sighs as she slings the strap of her purse over her shoulder. "Yeah, I—I gotta go. Sorry."

"It's okay. Text me."

Nodding, Paige turns to hurriedly leave through the bedroom door.

Wondering what could be wrong, Kira looks back down and stares at the towel as it soaks up the remainder of the red paint.

The paramedics drape a thin, white sheet over Kandice, covering everything but her spread out arms and toes. Blood seeps through the front of it, much like the towel Kira was using to soak up the spilt paint.

"Morgan Chase, you're under arrest for the murders of Kandice Reynolds and Hannah Ellis. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law." Sheriff Martinez continues to read Morgan his rights as he leads them out of the house through the patio doors.

A rather large, dark brown German Shepherd sits obediently by the open trunk of Morgan's mustang. A forensic crime scene investigator examines Hannah's pale corpse, which lies crammed on top of the spare tire. Her stiff arm is swarmed by flies, dried blood running down from her wrist to her elbow. Her fingers are extended, as if still reaching out to grab something, and one is missing a fingernail.

"Move!" Taylor shoves past the dozens of still-drunk partiers as the cops herd them away from the scene. In front of the house, she spots Sheriff Martinez as he aggressively shoves Morgan down into the back of a squad car and slams the door shut.

An officer grabs her shoulder as he steps in front of her. "Wrong way. You need to turn around and go home."

"That's my brother!" She pulls her shoulder away and shoves past him.

"Stop!" He hollers, but she couldn't care less.

Two more officers, amidst the horde of teenagers, quickly walk over to detain her as she reaches just a few yards from the scene. One of them, Bennett actually, talks to her calmly. "Hey, miss. I need you to calm down."

"And I need you to get your fucking hands off me!" She struggles to get from their grip. "I want to see my brother!"

"Taylor?!" A familiar voice calls.

She glances over to spot Millie cutting through the crowd, none of the officers stopping her. She walks up to them and nods at Bennett, signaling it is okay to let her go. Taylor glares at them as she pulls her arms free before turning back to Millie.

"I heard about what happened." Millie grabs her hand, real concern in her eyes. "Are you okay?"

Taylor lets out an annoyed laugh, overwhelmed by the whole situation. She feels her eyes beginning to water and looks up, trying her best not to cry, as she pulls her hand away from Millie's grasp. "Well, I just found out my brother is being arrested for murder. What do you think?"

"Stupid question." Millie sighs, looking around at the scene. Tonight isn't about the story, discovering the truth, or even defying her father. The second she heard Taylor's last name on the radio, she came running to the address.

"Sorry." Taylor apologizes, realizing how harsh that came out. "It's just—I want to see him. I need to talk to him."

Millie glances over to see her father getting in the same squad car as Morgan. He turns the ignition on, quickly spinning it around to barrel through the long driveway that wraps around them. She turns to Bennett. "Could you drive us to the station?"

He nods, gesturing at which car is his. "Of course."

Taylor stands still, watching as the police car passes down the drive. In the back seat, Morgan stares at her through the door's window with his swollen, bloodshot eyes.

♫ ᴍʏ ʙᴇᴀᴜᴛɪғᴜʟ ʀᴇsᴄᴜᴇ / ᴛʜɪs ᴘʀᴏᴠɪᴅᴇɴᴄᴇ ♫

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro