53 │distractions

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

With large, expensive-looking brushed metal headphones covering his ears, Jesse bobs his head along to the beat of one of Kris' newly recorded songs as he peers down at the mixing station. He twists a rounded knob to slightly increase the volume, the music blaring so loud it's a surprise his eardrums aren't rattling.

He lifts his head to look through the window and into the empty studio across from him. His eyes quickly focus on the barstool positioned in front of the microphone and he smirks, thinking of how far he and Kris have come in such little time. Then, as another repressed thought crosses his mind, he wonders...

Is it too soon to tell her?

Sitting on a nearby chair, his open laptop makes a high-pitched beep as he receives a new e-mail. It's from a record label.

Paige wakes up in a bed not her own, the sheets around her shoulders tucked in so tight she can hardly roll over to glance around the room. The second she sees the many worn posters of half-naked women plastered onto the walls she instantly remembers where she is. She's all too familiar with the mess in Morgan's room, considering the great amount of time they spent in this bed alone when they were together. The floor is a mess as usual but she doesn't mind. After all, it's nothing compared to her house.

She slides out from under the covers and sits on the edge of the bed facing the window. Still wearing the same clothes from last night, she's fully dressed except for her shoes. Glancing down, she notices there's a faded pink splotch on the upper right leg of her jeans from the blood she had vigorously tried to wash off in the restroom at the police station. Her finger grazes against the stain and she sighs deeply, realizing that she hasn't even been awake for a full minute and the thought of what happened already crossing her mind.

Wondering where Morgan is, her feet land on the floor as she stands up to take another look around the room. She walks over to the open bedroom door and steps into the hallway.

Just a few seconds later, she finds him in the small living room sprawled out on the couch. He is wearing nothing but woven boxers with a black and red plaid design. Feet kicked up over one arm of the couch, Morgan stretches out on the cushions—far too tall to fit comfortably on it. He slowly blinks, waking up to the sound of the approaching footsteps.

"Hey." He groans, wiping at his face as his eyes slowly peel open.

"Sorry if I woke you."

"It's cool." He reaches over to snatch his phone from the coffee table, glancing at the time to see it is past noon. "We kinda slept in anyways."

With good reason. They were nearly at the precinct until 2 a.m. and, when they finally got home, Paige was so distraught that she couldn't go to sleep right away. Morgan stayed up with her for a few hours, entertaining her with boring stories of the havoc him and Riley got into as kids, until she eventually dozed off.

Although she didn't mention Kira once, he knew that she was the only thing on her mind. His relationship with Paige might have been a complete disaster, but he always had a good tendency of being able to read her and could often tell what was going through her head. He knows that Kira was more than a friend.

"Thanks for going with me last night." She watches as he sits up and stretches his arms behind his head. "And for letting me sleep over. Thank you."

As he rises to his feet, he pops his neck and thrusts his chest slightly up for another good stretch. His morning routine must be to show off his muscles to whoever's within proximity. "It's the least I could do."

She looks around the floor for her shoes, not sure if she left them here or in Morgan's room as her mind was a complete wreck last night. "Well, I guess I should get going..."

"Stay." He smiles, walking around the couch toward the narrow entrance leading to the kitchen. He knows that she needs a distraction right now and, well, so could he. "At least for a little while. I can make breakfast."

She glances at the door, then back at him. The last thing she wants is to impose.

"Or lunch?" His smile remains as he shrugs.

Although food is the last thing on her mind, she nods as she slowly steps forward to follow him into the kitchen. She could really use the company right now, something she won't be able to find once she gets home.

♫ sᴛᴀʏ ᴀʟɪᴠᴇ / ᴊᴏsᴇ ɢᴏɴᴢᴀʟᴇᴢ ♫

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro