12 | HELP

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

LAURA

I had spent a solid fifteen minutes trying to locate the elevator around the place but it was as confusing as trying to find north in a maze. Corridors after corridors were clustered all over, my pace quickening with every flustered step. Even my symbiote was finding it hard to navigate.

With the front page crumpled into my hand, I tried to blend into the surroundings and being as nonchalant as possible. I smiled randomly every now and then, speeding up my pace when I spotted the elevator. Finally.

'A trainee, huh?'

My heart stopped, thinking that I was caught in the act. I jerked with surprise. Swinging my head to the sound of the voice as I pressed the down button, I found a tall young man as the source. He had a thin stack of folders tucked under his arm and piping cup of coffee being stirred slowly. 

'Yes,' I answered as suavely as possible. Being an efficient reporter, I faced no struggle in maintaining my calm. A wore a professional smile. 'I'm shadowing Mr. Brock for a while.'

The elevator dinged upon its arrival. I prayed that he would be going up but my karma took a toll and he was going down as well. And just my luck, he was going to the third basement which was way ahead of me. The mystery dude continued the conversation.

'Eddie?' His face colored with shock. 'He came around with the freshies? He never takes in interns.'

'Maybe I was just that persuasive,' I laughed. It took me a while to realize what I'd just said. I closed my eyes in a still prayer, shaking my head sorrowfully. Absolutely disgusting. 

There are more things to regret in life, Laura. This man is just a hindrance.

Sin was right. I should've ignored it but his reactions kept provoking me. His shoulders shook with silent laughter as he sipped from his cup. I dropped my shoulders and addressed the situation.

'Not the physical persuasion - not that I would use it! But I was being effective with my words and gestures,' I explained with a wave of my hands. I had sneakily pushed my stolen script into my coat pockets. 

'Oh yeah,' he drawled. 'Gestures always do the trick.'

He was mocking me. And, that got me riled up the wrong way. 'Listen dude-from-the-elevator, I was in a rush and didn't speculate into my words so if you'd excuse me, I really I have to get going.'

The elevator whirred to the lobby and the doors rolled open. Before I could step out, he said in a really clear and loud voice, 'Maybe you could use your persuasion on me? Over a cup of coffee?'

Over my dead body.

Sin always being the protective one. Of course what this man was insinuating, was literally a coffee date and that would most obviously upset my boss/boyfriend: Eddie himself.

'Brave move, mister . . . ' I drew out hoping he would fill the pause in with his name. 

'It's Paul, Paul Barnum.' He smiled as he walked out of the elevator and left it be. I crossed my arms with a tough sigh, tongue in cheek. Everyone knew Paul Barnum, the famous crime reporter in San Fran with a mind-boggling case every other week.

'Well, Paul,' I lengthened out. 'I'm not sorry to tell you that I'm taken. So no, the only person I'm going to be persuading is him.'

'Dang it,' he hummed. 'No chance, then?'

'I wouldn't sleep on it. He's a great guy.'

'And who may this lucky man be?' He prodded. I bit my lip with a nervous smile, trying to make up some silly name to scare him off. That's when my phone pinged with my ringtone.

I showed him my phone with Eddie's face and name plastered across the screen. I took a few steps back and headed for the exit. 'Duty calls.'

'Wait,' he walked forward with a cheeky expression. 'I didn't get your name.'

'Uh,' I drawled, thinking of an excuse. The phone in my hand buzzed once again, indicating the second time calling. I shook the phone at him with an apologetic smile. 'Gotta blast!'

My feet thrust forward with an unnatural speed, my heels clacking soundly against the marble floor. I could feel Paul's eyes on me as I shot out the swinging doors, shoving people out of the way. I finally answered my phone.

'Eddie?'

'Laur!' He sighed with relief. I smiled at his flustered tone. 'You okay?'

'Got caught up in something, nothing major but hey! I've got great news. Where are you at?'

'I'm near the open lot behind Daily Globe. I've got something, too.'

'I'll see you there.'

Taking a right turn on the pavement where the Daily Globe's sprawling acre ended, I swiftly side-stepped oncoming pedestrians and crossed the road to the large, concrete space that was lain behind the building. A few company vans were loading and unloading articles and Eddie standing there in the middle in all his glory, leaning onto his motorcycle. He looked so cool; with his nonchalant demeanor and his eyes set on his left, therefore, showing me his precise five o'clock shadowed jawline. Of course, I wouldn't tell him that. I would not want his ego to ruin this.

He's following us.

'What?' I hissed at the symbiote. I furtively glanced behind me from the thick curtain of my hair, seeing Paul's familiar stature steady on their pace towards me. Like the perfect stalker. 'Doesn't take no for an answer, I guess.'

I called Eddie in a flurry, waiting behind the fenced area and still on the pavement. From afar, I saw him retrieve his phone and answer me. I slowed my pace.

'You can see me,' I said and saw Eddie's gaze sip onto my secretive ones. 'Behind me. That man? He's onto me.'

'He's stalking you?!' He practically growled out into the speaker upon seeing Paul. 'That bastard Barnum.'

Can't disagree.

'I need you to come outside,' I whispered. 'We'll talk then.'

Leaving his bike, Eddie's hastened his footsteps and pushed his way out of the fenced doors. I left a good few meters between us since we were still boss and underling. Paul was way out of earshot so we were safe. Eddie had a deadly snarl on his face as he blocked me from Paul's attention. Paul was no more in my line of sight, all I could see was Eddie's broad shoulders.

'What the hell is going on?' He hissed acidly at me.

'I ran into him in the elevator and he asked me out so I brushed him off and dashed.'

'You took off?' He blasted in a low voice. 'That's the shit that gets crime busters like him interested!'

'I didn't realize, okay? Jesus, I was in a hurry to get to you and he was flirting so much - '

'Okay, okay, calm down,' he put his hands on my shoulder in a comforting gesture. I understood that we were still being watched so I stepped back graciously. His lips formed an 'o' with realization and he nervously raked a hand through his hair. 

'Eddie,' I said with a plan coming to me. 'What if Barnum knows something about Malik? He was on the case last week so he's bound to know more.'

'And what do you suggest we do?'

'You won't like this part,' I nipped my lip in fright. 'Not one bit but we have to.'

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro