9 | BOND

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

LAURA

'You're fired, Miss Sharp. I'm sorry but we can't have you putting our company at stake with your recklessness.' 

I fought against the anger that managed to drug me that entire afternoon. Eyes followed me everywhere, even as I gathered all my articles from my desk and murmurs hit my ears about my drunken actions. The symbiote in me stirred in me, wanting blood and gore on its hands. I ignored it, its every poisoned whisper in my head was one step closer to disclosing a secret. How much ever I wanted to send Barnum's head through a wall.

'Brock's girlfriend, right? Shit man, she's got a tough night ahead of her.'

'Yeah, I can feel it. Eddie's single, again.'

It hurt so much because none of the friends I made at my workplace stepped up to help me out and bid me farewell. Even as I looked over my shoulder to meet Shin's curious gaze, she whipped her neck back to the computer and typing furiously. That was the hoax of the sector I worked in. All of them cared too much about their reputation. About what would happen to their future if they associated themselves with a screw-up.

Ducking my head low, I stepped into the elevator and leaving my dream-job with a heavy heart. The brown crate in my hands weighed a ton with my graduation photo that laid at the top of the stack, staring into me mockingly. Tapping out of the entrance and crossing security, my heart rate increasing as more eyes followed my exit. 

A gentleman pushed the glass doors open for me, sending me a sympathetic smile at the boxes in my hands. Anyone would know. Damn all the stereotypical brown cardboard boxes that made employees ex-jobs hell.

My phone buzzed in my pocket. Without answering it, I knew who it was. I chose to ignore just like the rest of the world.

My god, you're a sore loser.

I fisted my hands in annoyance. Sin was being a pain in the ass. I purposely ignored his every sentence that managed to rile me up and slowly paddled on the sidewalk. 

'Laura, wait up.'

No. If Eddie came anywhere close, my maidenly instincts would flood through my high walls and ultimately, make me a sobbing mess. 

'Go away.' I said in a clipped voice.

'Hey, hold on a second,' he breathed out toughly and caught up to me. His warm hand fell over my shoulder, spinning me around. Eddie's face paled when he saw the box between my hands and the pages of the report of transmittal in blaring red letters.

'Holy shit, Laur. I'm so sorry.'

'I guess we both are even now, huh? You lost Venom and I lost my job,' I said dryly, trying to inject failed sarcasm into the foolhardy state. Eddie shook his head sadly and pulled the box out of my hands, dropping it on the sidewalk.

'The last time I was in this condition, my marriage fell apart,' he said with a disheartened smile. My head spun at the thought of his ex-wife, insecurity hitting me like a bus. I trusted Eddie so slapped a warning label over the uncertainties. 'You didn't need to hear that. Sorry.'

The man is a loser, too.

I barked a profanity at the symbiote internally. I fought away tears, shrouding it with a tight smile. 'It's okay.'

He groaned out a 'nooo' when he saw the glassy look in my eyes, bringing me into his warm embrace. Pressing my head into his shoulder, he held me tightly and rubbed the back of my head comfortingly. 'You'll find a way. You're smart like that.'

My tears broke loose into his jacket. I didn't make any noises but attracted too much attention. Passersby sent us cautioning glances when I hesitantly wrapped my arms around his body, the warmth heating up my chilly skin.

'You want a ride? Figured you need some company.' He spoke into my hair and I nodded gratefully. I ditched my scooter for a taxi that morning, oversleeping on a very important day. 

'My roommate is gonna kick me out in a week anyway,' I mused up at him, wiping away the wet streaks from my eyes. My roommate, May, hated me ever since I started dating Eddie. No idea why and I didn't bother to confront her. 'I've got to look for a new place.'

Not that I swindling in the middle of a financial crisis. I had my savings bonds and emergency funds but I wouldn't last six months with it. My mind raced with alternate options, going as far as asking my parents for help.

Hungry . . . 

'Woah there, Little Bo Beep,' he chuckled at my naiveness. I scrunched my eyebrows. 'It's not like I'm penniless. I know I've got a trashy apartment but you could lighten it up with a bit of feminine touch.'

Stilling with a shock, I blinked at him with serious eyes. 'Are you asking me to move in with you?'

'You know, you're not as sharp as your last name says you are,' he said with a cheeky grin. 'Yes, Sharp. I want you and your symbiote to - '

'Eddie, we've only been dating for a few months. This a big step into unknown borders.'

Just say yes, Laura. We are hungry and he is a midnight snack.

I gagged at the thought. Eddie rolled his eyes and cradled my face in his palms. 'And, I want this big step. I want more of you. Whatever happens, we're in this together. Remember?'

'And moving in is the way to do that?'

'C'mon, doll. Don't go tough on me.'

I let out a frustrated exhale. He let me go and bent down to pick up my stuff with a nonchalant expression and left me alone with my thoughts. Snapping out my trance, I picked up my pace to catch up to him.

'You can't leave your roomie behind, Brock. Learn the rules.'

- ♣ -

Sin was constantly craving for food. Eddie explained to me that it depended on what my taste in food was like. So he decided to test out a few foods which Venom was accustomed to. At first trials, he pushed a plate of freshly-baked tater tots in front of me and I blanched at the sight of the starch-filled, oily snack. The sour smell was revolting and I shoved it away. Far away.

Eddie ran a hand through his hair. 'Okay, so tater tots are out. Next up, chocolate.'

This was heavenly. I'd had the biggest sweet tooth known to man and Sin himself had taken a liking. Eddie and I shared a high-five at the first food down, chowing down on more chocolate bars. That's when we caught the scent.

I sniffed the air with hunger. 'What is that?' 

He straightened from his seat. 'Yeah, I smell it too.' Walking to the window, he parted the blinds to look down into the street. 'The dump truck's here.'

I gulped down the unwanted hunger, slapping a hand over my mouth. Fighting away Sin's instincts with a disgusted grimace. It wanted something foul. It wanted vile, rotten: trash.

Eddie sent me a warning glare as he picked up on what I wanted. 'Laura, no.'

Smells glorious. We must have it.

After that, I was no longer in control. I pushed past Eddie, walking out the door and scrambling my way to the apartment entrance. Sin's superspeed picked up when the scent thickened in the air, his hunger peaking the charts.

Yes, this is it.

My hands had formed white talons as it clambered to the back of the truck. With a single pull, the packer panel was ripped right of its hinges and the assailing scent of everything offensive making us moan. 

'Laura! Get out of - what the fuck! '

I knew I was no more Laura Sharp. The symbiote in me was in full-control, reaching for the trash bags and tearing it open. Old items expired foods and the whole scent of anything that lived in the sewer was filling me up. Sin had completely shut me out, using my body for filling it up with things that would revoke a normal human. 

'Dude, get your girl out my truck.'

'Laura, get out!'

'Hey, lady! I'm gonna call the cops on you!'

Sin riled up at the noise, pitching the dumpster guy a rude scowl. Climbing out of the truck in one pounce, my hand formed a spiked sword with the obscure alien goo and grappled the man's neck. I could only watch in horror from the sidelines as it reeled its fist forward.

'I'm so sorry, baby. But, I had to.'

A painful clang of something metal hit the back of my head, causing the symbiote to howl in pain and revert me back. Immediately, my stomach churned with the taste of foulness, turning around my puking my guts into the sidewalk. I couldn't look at the blackened mass of all the undeniable shit Sin had made me swallow, dropping to my knees as I heaved my innards out. 

'I'm outta this shithole.' The dumpster dude shakily spoke and sped out of the driveway in a breakneck speed.

'Laur?'

I held my head between my knees, not able to face Eddie. Especially after the trash eating episode. Involuntary tears streamed down my cheeks, the taste of mold and sourness swirling in my tongue. I flinched at his touch.

'It's me. Let's get you cleaned up.'

[ w/n: I know y'all are confused as to who this Tel-Kar dude is. From gotg 1, we've heard of the Kree and Skrulls. This should give you a little insight. I have used a comic book storyline in this and yes! I've not made this character! this character already exists in the Marvel universe and I've changed up the comic book storyline to accommodate my own. You'll know in the coming chapters and we have a special appearance of a certain Avenger in a short while! Don't forget to vote and comment, my loves! Sin and Venom would highly appreciate it. ]

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro