74. The Nail in the Coffin Pt.2

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

My scarf was roughly pushed back. Dilara felt it too and snapped her gaze where the magic was coming from. I followed her gaze. Three figures were heading down our way. Did the Council send more marvos? I wait for more witches and warlocks to appear behind the three figures.

"Is it only them?" I asked.

Dilara draws a revealing spell and checks for any entrapments or unwanted surprises. "Do you see anything, Hans?" I muttered.

His glowing red eyes met my gaze. "Nothing," he confirmed.

Dilara's brow knitted together. "Who are they? What do they want?" Those answers couldn't come quickly enough.

As the trio came closer, their appearances and features became more clear. 

My gaze narrowed on them.

A gray-haired warlock dressed in a tweed suit walked in the middle holding a brown briefcase tightly against his chest. He seemed to be around his late sixties or early seventies. The witches beside him were dressed in less formal wear. One of them had her hair tied into a high ponytail with thick black-rimmed glasses. The other wore a loose braid and small gold hoop earrings. They seemed to be around in their thirties. Probably a couple of years apart from each other.

There was an uncanny resemblance between the witches. Both were brown-haired. From the slope of their noses to their full lips, it was identical. The glass-eyed witch moved quickly from the other two. I squinted. She oddly looked like—even from where I stood, I could feel her scrutiny gaze. There was only one person who ever looked at me like that.

"Señorita Del Luna, nos vemos otra vez." Dr. Navarro said as she looked over to Dilara and then over my shoulder. "I see you've made some friends." She immediately assessed each of their reactions.

My therapist was a witch all along, and she knew I was one too. She knew everything about me from the very beginning. I knew there was something not right about her. Dilara shot me a curious gaze. I ignore it.

I calmly answered instead. "You look very surprised."

She elegantly shrugged her shoulders. "Yes I am," she admitted. "But can you blame me?" she said it like a secret we only knew.

Whenever I spoke to Dr. Navarro, I would either lie or say the truth depending on my mood. If I was bored, I would lie. I was bored often. I looked over at the tweed suit man with the briefcase and the braided hair witch who eyed me up and down as if she was looking for something.

Dr. Navarro took this opportunity for introductions. "This is my sister, Paloma and this is my uncle Don Horacio." The tweed suit man takes a step forward, "Gusto en conocerla." He stretched his hand out.

I stare at his hand and then at him. He reveals a forceful smile. I can't shake his hand. I can't touch him.

"Did your mother not teach you any manners before she died?" I cocked my head slightly meeting Dr. Navarro's sister's glaring stare. I did not miss the hint of disgust in her voice when she said 'mother.' She must be the older sister.

Dr. Navarro sighed. "Paloma, por favor, no empieces." She said nothing, but a woman like her didn't stay quiet for too long. She was looking for a fight, and just maybe I might welcome it. My ex-therapist cleared her throat. "I know you have a lot of questions as do I. Maybe we should talk somewhere private. It's regarding your inheritance."

I frowned. "My inheritance?"

Don Hoarcio nods his head, tensely as he presses a cloth over his forehead. "Si, tus padres—"

I cut him off. "I haven't buried my father yet, and you want to talk about my inheritance." He flinches back.

"Nora," Dr. Navarro says using that fake tone of sympathy I fucking hate so much.

"How did you find me?" I demanded. "Nobody should know about my father's death yet."

Dr. Navarro opened her mouth but her older sister beat her to it. "We were waiting for both of you." She spoke with irritation. "We waited down at the train platform. We were there to help you and your father escape to Ireland. And to help send a witch to Turkey with discretion." she glanced at Dilara briefly and went on. "But your father never came and we were given instructions by your father that if he didn't arrive by four o'clock it meant he was dead. We waited until it was five o'clock and then we went to go look for your father. We knew where he had gone but he wasn't there anymore. " she said quietly as her gaze drifted towards the coffin.

A tear slipped from her eye. I then made sense of Paloma's attitude. She mourned him differently than I did.

Dr. Navarro finished for her. "I knew you would bury him with your mother. If your father told you anything about himself, he would somehow mention her. He didn't know how to exist without her." Paloma's jaw clenched.

My father made it known to me countless times how much he loved my mother. He loved her when she was alive. He loved her when she died. His last breath was for her. And at last, they were reunited somewhere beyond this world. It would be a crime itself if I didn't lay my father next to my mother. She waited for him all my life. I didn't want her to wait anymore either.

"She didn't deserve him!" Paloma cried out in frustration.

I carefully met her gaze as her chin quivered. "Your mother didn't deserve his love. All of this happened because of your mother. The entire Del Luna family is dead because of her!" she accused.

I froze as Dr. Navarro tried grabbing her sister by the arms but she struggled. "Paloma, por favor!" Dilara looked prepared to summon a fire.

She broke out of her sister's hold and pointed her finger at me. "Tell me, how did he die? Did they kill him? Who did it?" But she already seemed to have a person in mind. She almost grabbed my veil if it wasn't for a pair of strong hands that pulled me back. Smoke invaded my nostrils. He pressed his hands on my arms, firmly as if he were securing them.

"This is a funeral." Grimm coolly spoke above my head. "Not your interrogation. If you are not here to pay your respect to the late Nicolás Del Luna then I suggest you leave." His words left a lethal warning.

Dr. Navarro took a cautious step, she was calculating his words. Don Hoarcio followed her lead. "We are not here to fight." She said, sending me a glance. "We are here to fulfill Nicolás' last wishes. He wanted you to go to Ireland. But if you want, we can find some safe places in Mexico. Right, tio?" Don Horacio nodded his head. "Yes—yes. Your parents left you so much. You are set for life." He fumbled with his briefcase.

I wasn't going anywhere. I wasn't going to use my parents' home countries as a getaway. I didn't want to hide anymore. I'm not running away.

Dr. Navarro tried to get her sister's attention. "Paloma, remember what we came for." Her sister stood still with her chest rising up and down. Paloma disregarded her sister as she locked her eyes with mine. "I've seen what my sister has written about you. She reported it all to your father." Something fierce and vicious brewed inside my throat.

Dr. Navarro's eyes widened and sputtered out. "You—you— I told you to stop touching my stuff!" So much for patient confidentiality.

Paloma ignored her. "Do your friends even know who you are?" she taunted. "Should I tell them?" My mouth twitched.

"Don't say it." her sister pleaded.

I didn't want her to stop. "No. Let her. Desahogate, cariño." I encouraged her.

Her nostrils flared. "Eres una niña malcriada, mentirosa, y odiosa." her upper lip curled with disdain. "You think you're all protecting a friend but Nora isn't your friend. She is a monster. Do you think this is her first time killing somebody? It's not. She is a bloodthirsty bitch that doesn't know how to stop. She only knows how to hurt. She only cares about herself. You think you're safe now, but she is going kill you one day." 

I thought she was done until she delivered the last blow. "If you don't believe me, just look at where you are. Look at where her family lies. She put them there." I tore from Grimm's grip and tackled Paloma to the ground. Everyone ran after very swiftly.

I straddled her body as she squirmed beneath me. "Nora, no!" Dr. Navarro shouted. Her sister continued to struggle and cursed out. "Maldita nina escuincla. Don't you have any respect for your fucking elders!" she growled.

I snapped. "I don't respect anyone that doesn't respect me." I push my knee deep into her stomach. She gasped loudly. My hands prickling as I regain some sensation in them. I could not wait too long. "I have let you talk. Now it's my turn to say something." Her brows slightly furrowed then widened when she saw my fist coming and connected to her face. 

She screamed as blood gushed from her nose.

But Paolma didn't stay still. Her hands grabbed a good amount of my hair and twisted it, bending my neck sideways. Everyone was trying to grab either Paloma's hands or mine. But I wasn't done with her yet. I was going to make her regret everything she said.

"Nora, stop it!" Dilara cried out. "Don't you see? You're only proving her right!" I slammed my hands on Paloma's face and dragged my fingernails, sinking them into her skin. Paloma howled in pain. I didn't give a fuck what proving her wrong. Because she was right, I am a bloodthirsty bitch and she was so fucking dumb thinking she would walk away unharmed.

Don Horacio and Dr. Navarro were begging Paloma on their end. While Grimm and Hans were pushing my shoulders back. Both were breaking a sweat in doing so. "Raven," Grimm said out of breath. "Listen to what Dilara is telling you. This is not worth it. She is not worth it. Unleash your rage on those who deserve it."

I whipped my gaze to him. "Oh, she deserves it." I fumed. "Whose side are you on? Mine or hers?"

His jaw clenched. "I'm on your side! I will always be on your side," he said without hesitation.

"Then fucking act like it!" I hissed, and in that distracted moment, Paloma tore my moon clip from my head. She clutched it like a prized possession. My vision blurred in and out of redness, then cleared. I swallowed a scream—the air became thick— and a volatile surge of power released in it. Everyone's body flung backwards and landed on top of graves or their backs hit tombstones. 

Before they could think to move, I cast a spell. "Oigheardheascadh." Violent bursts were summoned from the soil and large icicles struck out, caging each of them. They would see them soon.

As I faced Paloma, her eyes darted from my sharp ears to my bandaged hands to the spikes of ice. They were filled with so much shock I thought they were going to pop. "How—how is this possible? You're not—you're not supposed to know magic. You shouldn't be this strong." she stuttered.

I walked to her and snatched my moon hairpin from her hand, slightly grazing her skin. She winced. Her sister, Dr. Navarro drew my attention to her. "You've changed," she uttered. "What have you been doing these past months? What are you doing with your life?" For a second, I almost believed she was concerned.

I looked at her as her fingers were curled around the ice bars. "Nothing. I just decided I didn't want to be the useless girl anymore. Nor silent." She frowned. My voice then became as cold as a winter night. "I won't kill your sister if you promise to deliver a message for me." I glanced at Paloma's bloody face.

Everyone became quiet, even the dead.

Dr. Navarro took a big gulp before answering. "To who?" she whispered.

I took slow steps towards her. "I want you to send a message to the Council, and the witches and warlocks here." I halted my steps when I stood in front of her, and then lowered my knees to her eye level. She looked half-afraid, and the other half curious. I leaned in as her breath hitched and brushed my mouth near her ear. I enunciate each word for her and once I finish, her eyes are wide with fear. 

At least I satisfied her curiosity.

I abruptly grab her wrist, pressing her face against the ice. "Say it." I smiled at her. "Repítelo," I commanded.

She stumbled over her words but it was short-lived when Grimm broke the icicles and marched over, roughly pulling my arm upwards. "Wait, she is not done yet. I have to hear her say it." 

He ignores my protest and looks at Don Horacio and Dr. Navarro. "It was a pleasure meeting you all. But I'm afraid Nora is tired." What the fuck was he saying? I wasn't tired. I didn't feel tired. I was angry. I wanted to fight Paloma some more. I tried to get out of his tight grip. "You can send Nora's inheritance with Hans and Dilara. It's been a long day for us all as you can imagine. I hope you can understand." Grimm didn't wait for their replies.

I tried digging my heels in the ground but Grimm pushed forward with a newfound unshakable persistence. His pace was fast and uneven. 

Still, I tried wrestling out of his stronghold but as we drew further away I yelled. "Remember what you promised me! Or else I will find you and kill your sister!" Their figures slowly became smaller. A wave of panic shot through me. "I'll find you! I'll kill—" Grimm swiftly spun me around and placed his hand over my mouth.

"If you keep screaming you're going to kill Dilara, Rose, and Hans." My body froze and in doing so, I held my breath. I looked over where Dilara, Rose, and Hans stood. Dilara melts off the icicles that caged Dr. Navarro and Don Horacio. She must've done the same to hers. I never wanted to imprison them. Least of all, Dilara.

Grimm softly says, "But I promise I'll take you somewhere you can scream. I just need you to hold it in a bit longer. Can you do that?" I nod slowly.

He removes his hand and almost as if he is ashamed of what he had done, he hides it behind his back. I exhaled as my eyes burned. A jagged noise claws out of my throat and puts a distance between Grimm and me that I believed no longer existed.

"Why are you laughing?" Grimm asks, with zero humor.

I catch my breath. "Nothing is funny. But I just don't have any other choice. If I can't scream, what should I do? Something must come out. Some noise must be made." My tears blur my vision. "We didn't get to bury him." I didn't get to bury my father.

"We'll bury him later," he assured me.

"No, Grimm, we won't." his jaw tightened. "This world will never let me mourn. I'm the villain in their story. I don't get to be anything but a monster." I turned and started to walk away. "And they will get one," I swore.

My laugh continued to echo in the cemetery as Death's footsteps trailed after me as if he wanted no other soul but mine. 

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro