Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

A fierce fire burned in a small cave. Even though there was a small warm spring collecting in the cave it was still cold. A small figure sat hunched by the flames, their fur cloak swamping their small frame, a black wolf hood covered their features. The whistling wind whipped up around the cave and bit into the bones of the figure. Icicles had formed on the ceiling and the entrance to the cave was a death trap as it was thick with ice.

The figure turned their head slightly to the sound of two men fighting before hearing a thud. They walked slowly to the entrance gripping the cold walls. Small delicate snowflakes landed on their fur cloak gently, as they walked closer and closer a gasp erupted from their lips. They gently pushed Declan over with their boot, looked him over and dragged him back into their cave and began to heal his wounds. 

They draped the thickest skin they had over his shoulders and waited for him to come around. It wasn't till the eve when the sun was asleep and the land was at its darkest that Declan was starting to regain his senses. As his eyes opened slowly he recognised the paintings on the walls. He tried to sit up whimpering as he did, "I'd rest if I were you, you took quite a beating."

"Eula?" He asked. She turned to look at him and pulled her hood down.

"You were lucky I found you," she said.

"Ches...Chesterfield," was all he could manage before he passed out on her.

"All in good time," she pulled the fur back up over his shoulders. She stood watch, crouching above the entrance of the caves mouth guarding Declan from above. It was silent for most of the night except for the howling of the wolves. The fog continued to hide her cave and her guest but in the morning it lifted. Eula wandered back into the cave hoping to see him awake but he was still out.  She sighed and sat down near the hot spring.

She continued carving her animal bone keeping her eyes trained on him. A few hours later and Declan was awake again. "Drink this," she said and handed him a mug filled with hot water and crushed berries.

"What is this?" He asked.

"It will help with the pain and keep you awake," she said.

"How did you know?" He took the cup from her and sipped it.

"I have seen your wounds," she reminded him. He huffed and took another sip.

"I never thought I'd see you again Eula," he said.

"I'm always around," she reminded him. His eyes started to water as he remembered their painful goodbye. "Wipe those memories from your mind, you have found me again." She softly wiped the tears that dripped down his face and caught in his beard.

"Chesterfield is still boasting that he drove you from town, that he was the one who ended your deeds in the town. He thinks he broke me by driving you out," he explained to her.

"And you me to accompany you and show him he is wrong?" She asked.

Declan nodded slowly, "yes."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro