Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

That night, the men of the village gathered around Chief Rorun in the meeting hall to discuss what was to be done about the Frost King. During any ordinary meeting, the hall would have been a clamor of voices and ideas, but for once, all was silent. Most were at a loss. Dim candlelight illuminated solemn, fearful faces, and even the chief himself was more stoic than usual. As usual, Seton waited for someone to speak, but this time, nobody did.

The first meeting held with regards to the Frost King, there had been passionate shouting of slaying the beast, and of refusal to yield. They had vowed to take up arms against the monster, and end the terror they faced. But now, that passion was replaced by a dread so thick that the very air they breathed seemed heavy. This overwhelming sensation hung in the air until Rorun finally spoke.

"The beast has to die," he said. Even though he spoke in a low tone, the silence made his deep voice sound much louder. "The thing has to die," he repeated, a little louder this time, "or we'll all perish instead. So then, who's going to be the one to do it?"

Nobody spoke up. But as the silence prolonged, all eyes gradually fell on Seton, who felt a great pit open up in his stomach. Yidna had been right, and he'd known it just as well. He met Rorun's gaze, trying his hardest to appear unshaken. But even so, he could feel his hands shaking.

"Seton," Roran said, not breaking his stare. "You're the only one among us who can enter the wilderness alone and return with the corpse of a bear. Can you kill a wyvern?"

Seton opened his mouth to reply, but the words were stuck.

"Well? Can you?"

"I-I don't know," Seton replied at last. "Bears are one thing. Dragons and wyverns are another. I could perhaps kill a lesser dragon, or a young wyvern, given the time. But this is no young wyvern. This is the Frost King. I doubt even I could topple him."

"I understand," Rorun replied with a nod. "But these are desperate times. Do you think there's even the slightest chance you could succeed?"

"Well... I suppose there's always a chance."

Rorun's stare intensified. "Then can you hope for that chance, knowing that if that chance is never taken, our village is damned regardless?"

Seton fell silent. The thought terrified him. But it terrified all the other men, too, and he knew that. And among them, none would ever be bold enough to even attempt such a feat. "I can promise nothing," he said solemnly, breaking the other man's stare and turning his eyes to the ground.

Silence fell for a few moments, before Rorun finally spoke again. "When you were a babe, we took you in. As we grew, we watched you. As you hunted, we saw your strength. In the time we provided for you, we saw you grow stronger than any other man ever born here. You were practically born for this moment. If there is anyone who can slay the beast, it must be you."

Seton opened his mouth to protest, but Rorun continued.

"Do not forget just how much you owe us, Seton. Besides, if you can't do this, how can you be a worthy man for my daughter."

Seton hesitated for a moment, then nodded.

"So, can you do this for us? Can you at least try, when no other man is even brave enough to look me in the eye?"

Seton looked up to lock eyes with the chief once more. "I make no promises, except that I will do what I can."

"At least swear you will not flee in cowardice. You are our finest and our strongest. It must be you."

Seton took a deep breath. "On my ax, I shall not flee."

"Very well then," Rorun said, holding the stare for a moment longer before looking away. "Then it's settled. Seton will attempt to hunt the Frost King, and if any of you are willing to go with him and improve the odds, you have my blessing."

Silence once more.

"Fine, then. This meeting is over. Return home, and rest well. If Seton fails, then no doubt there will be hell to pay for all of us."

Seton remained as quiet as the rest as the group trudged from the meeting hall. All the way back to his house, he stared at the snow beneath his feet, contemplating what he had just agreed to. As he walked, his eyes turned to the house still held aloft by the icy spear. He stared at it a moment before rushing home all the faster.

When he opened the door and entered, Nalia had already lit a fire, and sat on a mountain tiger rug beside it, huddled in her coat. She looked up as Seton entered, flashing him a smile. She waved a hand for him to join, and he obeyed, sitting beside her as she sidled up to his side. "How was the meeting?" she asked once he had reciprocated and wrapped an arm around her.

"Quiet," he answered. "Nobody spoke a word, save for your father and myself. Nobody wants to face the beast. Chief asked if any wanted to join me, and none did. I'm not sure I can blame them for it, though. To them, it must seem like suicide."

"And you?"

Seton hesitated, but continued. "I agreed to it. Well, I agreed to try. Even then, though, nobody would even agree to help."

"Do you need help?" Nalia asked with a slight giggle. "I've never once heard you complain about a lack of support in your hunts."

"Not for a bear. But Nalia... this is the Frost King. I know I swore to do my best for this village, but I don't know if I can do this." He sighed, resting his head atop hers.

"Are you scared?" she asked, wrapping her arms around him and holding him tightly.

"I am," he admitted. "I'm terrified of what might become of me. And I'm terrified of what will become of this village should I fail. And I'm terrified that I won't be able to repay this place for all it's given me."

"If it's repayment you're so concerned about, then please, calm yourself. You owe the people here no more than any child born and raised here. And if yourself or even my own father says otherwise, then I will correct you as many times as it takes."

"But-"

"Silence," Nalia said in a firm but calm voice. "You didn't choose who gave you life, or where. The kindness Yidna showed in taking you in was hardly different from the kindness of a mother who chooses to raise her child. And even if you did owe us a debt, the countless beasts you've slain for our safety have more than paid that debt already. If you are to hunt the Frost King, then put that worry aside and focus on the more reasonable fears. To start, worry about succeeding so you may come back to me alive. And then worry about the safety of everyone else here."

"And what if I fail? What if I die, and all is lost because of it?"

"You won't die," she said, still firm in tone. "You've never failed us, and you never will. If you won't believe it from Rorun, believe it from me."

Seton didn't respond for several moments, but when he did, all he could manage to say was: "Thank you, Nalia."

"Of course," she replied, her tone softening. "Thank you for telling me."

"Only you," Seton said, kissing the top of her head.

Nalia smiled, burying her face in his chest. "I know."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro