Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

He didn't stop until he reached his own home, where he dropped his bag and ax before sitting down and burying his head in his hands. What had he done? Perhaps he truly had doomed them. Perhaps Rorun was right, and he truly was too cowardly to do the job he'd been given. He thought through everything that had happened over and over again until he heard the sound of the door opening, and the familiar arms of Nalia wrapping around him. The moment he felt her touch, he felt tears forming in his eyes, and though he tried to hold them back, they came regardless. The two sat in silence for many moments as the tears trickled down.

"Talk to me," Nalia said at last, still not moving from where she sat.

Seton opened his mouth to speak, but only shaking breaths came out. He took several slower breaths, steadying his breathing before talking. "I failed, Nalia. I couldn't kill the Frost King. I even tried, but he was far too strong. And his patience with us has run out, and we're doomed to die because I couldn't do it."

"Start from the beginning, Seton," Nalia whispered. "Tell me everything."

Seton obeyed, recounting his story from the start. He told her of his journey up the mountain, and of the formidable young dragon he had slain. He told her of the storms the dragons conjured, and the icy spires where they resided. He told her of the Frost King and of the tale it had told him. He told her about the fight he had with Rorun, and again with Yidna.

"I don't know who I hate more," Seton sighed. "The beast that's terrorized us for years, or those in this village who knew what they had to do, but refused. And for what? Goat farming and good soil? I want to believe them, when they say that we could win, and defeat the dragons. I don't want to believe that they've doomed us all, and raised me my whole life just for a suicide mission. I can't just let the Frost King kill us, but I know all too well what happens to us if I do."

"Seton," Nalia whispered, "do you truly know? I don't doubt what you've seen, and I don't doubt the power of the dragons. But do you know for sure that killing the Frost King will turn them on us? Perhaps they would be too frightened to even try. I believe my father is a fool to keep us here, but if he says to stay, who would disobey him? Perhaps slaying the Frost King will disperse the dragons, and we truly will be safe."

"I don't know," Seton replied softly. "It truly seemed like the Frost King was the only thing holding them back from killing us. They hate us, Nalia."

"But they have yet to see their king fall. Perhaps you can show them that we truly are a force to be feared. I know you fear them, but maybe they fear us too. I will try to convince my father to move us down into the valley, but should I fail, are you willing to save us?"

Seton thought for a moment. "Should that happen, I would have no other choice. I told your father I would not flee. I won't break my word."

"I believe in your strength Seton," Nalia whispered. "I know you've been raised for this, but I don't believe in you because of all that. I believe in you because it's you. And because I've seen your determination, and seen what you're capable of. No other man has been brave enough to even look the Frost King in the eye, and if anyone can kill it, you can."

"If I must, I will try," Seton whispered back. "But if your father refuses, then promise me something, Nalia."

"What is it?"

"Even if your father refuses to move the people, take as many people as will follow you and take them off of these hills yourself. If I do fail, and the Frost King comes, I don't want you to perish here."

"There won't be a need," Nalia replied with a smile. "You won't fail, not when it matters. You never have."

"Just promise me, Nalia," Seton said quickly, a slight edge of panic in his voice.

Nalia sighed. "Fine. I promise. But know that I don't believe for one moment that you will die."

"Thank you."

"Of course. Now sleep. Rest your body, and try to calm your fears. Stay here to prepare yourself for what you must do. I will speak with my father tomorrow. We will save our people from this, no matter what."

Despite his fears, Seton did find sleep that night, still held fast in Nalia's arms.

Seton spent the following day in his house. He ate, rested, sharpened his ax, and prepared his mind for what was to come. Nalia, on the other hand, was away most of the day, and even from the house, Seton could occasionally hear people shouting at one another as Nalia tried to persuade them of the danger they were in. She would return occasionally to eat, and to report her progress to Seton, though there was little progress to be had. Despite her attempts, it seemed as though the people of the village trusted Rorun more than they trusted Nalia.

When she left the house again for the afternoon, Seton could tell she was disheartened. He tried to console her, and to tell her she could win them over, but even he was beginning to doubt. But, at last, when Nalia returned that night, a smile could be seen on her face, despite the darkness of night. "We did it," she said, her voice an exhausted whisper as she sat beside Seton.

"We did?" he asked, eyebrows raised.

"Well, sort-of," she replied, her smile not faded. "My father wasn't convinced. And he's angrier than ever that we dare to contradict him and his leadership. But we got Yidna."

"We did?" Seton asked, taken aback.

"We did," Nalia confirmed. "She was reluctant, but it sounds like you got through to her. Maybe it was your words, or maybe just how badly you frightened her, but it seems like she recognizes the true situation, now. She's agreed to help lead all who will follow out of the village, and into the valley, however difficult it may be. And with her finally on our side, more people are questioning my father."

"That's wonderful," Seton said, reaching out to stroke Nalia's cheek. But as he did, she winced and recoiled from his touch, hissing in pain. Only then did Seton look closely enough to notice the bruises that covered her face. "What happened?" he asked, voice still low, but now suspicious.

"I... well..." Nalia sighed. "My father wasn't convinced, as I said. And like I said, he was enraged. When I took your side, he said he was going to 'make an example of this lying bitch,' in front of the town. Yidna intervened before he got too far. I think that was what broke her."

"I swear, I'll kill him!" Seton snapped, moving to stand up before Nalia grabbed his shoulders and sat him back down.

"Don't, please! You need your energy for tomorrow! Besides, I'll live. And if he'd not done that, I don't even know if Yidna would have taken our side or not. If you want him dead, then come back alive and do it then, but you have something more pressing to do first."

"Fine," Seton sighed. "So Yidna is helping us, then?"

"She is," Nalia said with a nod. "In fact, she's already rounded up those who are willing, and has started down the hillside as of this evening."

"Nalia, you're incredible!" Seton exclaimed, reaching to hold her face in his hands before hesitating, and opting for her shoulders instead. "In the morning, when I go to face the Frost King, follow them down into the valley. Don't wait for me, please."

"You aren't going to insist that I go now?"

Seton shook his head. "No. If, by any chance, this is my last night, I want you here."

"I already told you, you won't die."

"I know. But stay anyway, please."

"Of course," Nalia said, sitting back down beside him before leaning in for a kiss, which Seton returned.

"Doesn't it hurt?" he asked, still concernedly eyeing her bruises. But the woman's grin hadn't faded.

"I'll live," she said, smiling unwaveringly. "They're a mark of our victory."

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro