[ 04 ] never get into bed with mobsters

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS
iv. NEVER GET INTO BED WITH MOBSTERS
HAS YOUR MIND ALWAYS BEEN THIS BROKEN?

HER ALARM HAD CONTINUED TO RING FOR TEN MINUTES STRAIGHT before she found the energy to turn it off. But even then, Anastasia laid wrapped in the blankets as she stared at the untouched side of the bed that belonged to her husband. She realized how big and empty their bed was without him. A sigh left her lips as she reached out, feeling how cold the sheets were from the breeze that came in from the open window. It was often that Bruce came to bed late, but it was rare for him to not come at all. Anastasia reluctantly forced herself out of bed, walking to the bathroom. With a hot shower, she hoped it would revive the energy she desperately needed for the day. It worked somewhat, but she still slowly tugged on a white dress with thin spaghetti straps. After brushing her teeth and pinning her hair up, Anastasia slipped on a pair of white high heels and grabbed a teal jacket before heading downstairs.

The sound of voices from the dining room filled the main hall, causing her to follow the sound to the doorway where she noticed Alfred and Bruce. The latter sat at the end of the table, reading through a newspaper. Alfred stood close by, speaking to Bruce in hushed whispers. She was too far away to comprehend most of their conversation.

"Good morning," she said, walking toward her seat across from Bruce. Her presence made them stop their conversation.

"Lady Anastasia," Alfred greeted, pulling out her seat to allow her to sit down. She sat down, watching the older man for a moment before her gaze flickered to Bruce. Her attention fell to the breakfast laid out on the table. There was french toast, omelets, bagels, chocolate-covered strawberries, tarts, and honestly, too much food for the three of them to consume. She hoped the other members of the staff would come to eat it, not wanting it to go to waste. Alfred smiled, nodding his head. "Breakfast is served."

"Thank you, Alfred," she mumbled, returning his smile as she tapped her fingers against the table. She kept her eyes across the table, watching her husband.

It was as if he noticed her watching, holding up the paper to let her see the front page where there was a picture of the two of them. "Hurts to find out my wife's pregnant through the paper," Bruce teased, letting her take the paper. He smiled, shooting her a wink. "How far along are you, Ana? Should I start planning out a nursery?"

"I'm... I'm not pregnant," Anastasia mumbled, looking over the newspaper as she read through its contents. Just as Harvey had said, the news about Falcone had been pushed to the eighth page. She sighed, ignoring the amusement on Bruce's face. She set the paper on the table. "This is Harvey's fault."

"Well, at least the media is distracted for now," Bruce pointed out, giving her a kind smile. But, it faltered when he noticed an indentation in her finger where her ring should have been. He chuckled softly. "Did you misplace your ring again?"

She stared at her finger for a moment, trying to come up with a reasonable excuse. After all, she couldn't tell him that one of Falcone's men had come and taken it. "I... I think it's at the office, actually," Anastasia stammered, avoiding Bruce's gaze. "I took it off when I was working, so I must have left it on my desk."

He kept staring. Did he know about her meeting with Falcone that night?

No, impossible. Anastasia hadn't given away any hint about it nor did any of her assistants know, so he couldn't have found out. Though, it always seemed as if Bruce knew all her secrets before she knew them herself. He gestured to her jaw, making her frown. "What happened?"

"Nothing..." she mumbled, brushing her fingers against the tender skin of her jaw. "I must have banged it against something. Don't worry about it."

He may have believed her lie about the ring, but it didn't look like he had bought her lie this time. But, Bruce did not push as he returned to his breakfast. But, Anastasia wasn't finished with him yet. She had her own questions to ask, regarding where he had disappeared off to yesterday.

Alfred was still in the room, standing proud as always behind Bruce. She cleared her throat, earning the man's attention. "Hey, Alfred..."

"Yes, my Lady?"

"I, uh," She looked around the table for anything that was missing, wanting him out of the room for the briefest moment. "Can I get a glass of water? Please?"

"Of course," Alfred said, nodding his head before he walked off toward the kitchen. She waited till he was out of the dining room.

Her eyes snapped back to Bruce, watching him sip on his tea. "Where were you last night?"

It was as if Bruce had expected her question, setting the tea cup down on the ceramic plate. "The meeting━━"

"I saw Lucuis at the tower," Anastasia interrupted, crossing her arms as she narrowed her eyes at him. "He didn't know anything about the meeting."

"Here's your water, Lady Anastasia," Alfred said, setting down the glass of water in front of her. He went back to his spot behind Bruce, unaware of the tension that brewed in the air.

Bruce sighed, knowing that Anastasia still wanted an answer. "I promise I was at the meeting. Trust me, I know how it looks, Ana."

She waited for him to continue.

"I texted Lucius when he didn't show and I had to start the presentation without him," Bruce explained, clearing his throat as he reached across the table to take her hand. He brushed against the spot where her ring should be. "But, fortunately, thanks to you, he did show up later to help explain the new security system planned for the hospital."

"Bruce, I..."

"I wouldn't lie to you, Ana," he said softly, gently squeezing her hand as he offered her a kind smile.

She stared at the silver band he wore, making her sigh. She pulled her hand back. Perhaps, it was all in her head. "Why didn't you come to bed last night?"

"Don't mind me interrupting," Alfred began, clearing his throat as he stole a glance at Bruce. "But, I did tell Master Bruce to head to bed around three o'clock in the morning. He insisted on working all night."

Bruce chuckled, shrugging his shoulders. "Guilty as charged."

"Oh..." Anastasia mumbled. She reached for one of the strawberries, taking a bite as the chocolate melted into her mouth. She didn't realize how hungry she was. After her encounter with Falcone's goons, she had worked all night until she had driven home around midnight. After that, she went straight to bed. In all honesty, she wouldn't have even known if Bruce had joined her since she was out cold from the exhaustion. But, waking up alone to a cold bed still hurt. Alfred walked over, pouring her a cup of coffee with three creams and two sugars. It was exactly how she liked it.

His phone buzzed, causing him to immediately pick it up to look at it. He sent a quick text, clearing his throat as he looked up at her and Alfred. "I have to go," he said, standing on his feet as he picked up a piece of french toast. "I have another appointment this morning. Don't want to keep the client waiting."

"Of course not," Anastasia muttered. His words made her remember every time Bruce had been late, causing a huff to leave her lips as she took a sip of her coffee.

Bruce walked over, leaning down to place a gentle kiss against the side of her head. "See you later, Ana."

She nodded. "See you later, my love."

They watched him leave. It was only Alfred and Anastasia left, along with the other staff members of the manor but they were scattered throughout as they tended to their duties. She had caught a glimpse of Dory dusting some of Thomas Wayne's trophies upstairs, but she hadn't stuck around long enough to have a conversation.

"Alfred..." she began slowly, twirling the half-eaten strawberry by the stem. The older man looked down at her, having noticed her dampened mood since she had walked into the dining room. "You would tell me if..."

"If?" He asked for clarification.

"If Bruce was having an affair... or anything of the sorts," she said, staring up at him. Alfred's expression didn't change as he watched her blankly. She bit her lip, feeling stupid for asking Alfred. As if he would ever tell her. It was his job to do everything for Bruce. If Bruce was having an affair, Alfred would do everything in his power to help him hide it. She let out a laugh. "Sorry... I don't know where that came from. Forget I ever said anything."

"Master Bruce isn't having an affair," Alfred informed suddenly. He let out a heavy sigh, almost as if he was debating within himself. "He loves you very much, Anastasia. You are the greatest blessing to ever happen to him. And, he may not always have the best way of showing it, but he would do anything for you."

She bit her lip, looking away from him. "But, he is hiding something?"

"He is," Alfred whispered. "It might not be what you think. There is no other woman, but the secret is not mine to tell. Master Bruce will tell you when he is ready."

"Is he... ill?" She asked softly, tapping her fingers against the table.

Alfred shook his head. "Healthy as a horse that one, I'm afraid."

"Alright, good," Anastasia said, nodding her head. She knew what it was like to live with someone suffering from a terminal illness, considering that was how her mom had died. If anything happened to Bruce, Anastasia wasn't sure if she would ever recover. But, she tried not to think about it. "I suppose he'll tell me when he's ready."

"Eat, my Lady," Alfred said, gesturing to the food displayed in front of her. "You need to keep your strength up. It's important to have a large breakfast before starting a long day."

"Earlier, you called me Anastasia only," she pointed out, giving him a smile. "I like that. No need to call me Lady all the time."

Alfred returned the smile, shrugging his shoulders. "We'll see, Lady Anastasia."

She chuckled, shaking her head. "Well, now you're doing it on purpose." She looked at all the food around her, letting out a heavy sigh. "Join me for breakfast?"

Alfred nodded, taking a seat where Bruce had previously been. "As you wish."

━━ ━━ ━━

MOST OF THE DAY HAD PASSED AT THE OFFICE, behaving as if she wasn't terrified to come face to face with Falcone on her own. She had told Laura of her predicament and she had suggested that she come with, but Anastasia had refused. There was no need to put Laura into any unnecessary danger, considering this was something Anastasia needed to do alone. Her car was parked in front of Wayne Enterprises and Anastasia had left it there as she began her walk to the Skyline Club. The assistants had already finished their shifts and no one would notice if Anastasia had disappeared as well. After all, Bruce hadn't come to work and that worked in her favor. She had buttoned up her jacket completely, hiding the white dress she wore underneath. It was a cold day, but not unbearable. It only took her fifteen minutes to arrive at the mouth of the skyscraper, making her look up at where she assumed the club was.

She stood at the entrance, approaching the guard with slow steps. He took one look at her, narrowing his eyes as his posture stiffened. "I'm Anastasia..."

"Come in," he said, opening the glass door. "You're expected, fiftieth floor."

"Okay, thank you," she said, heading inside. Anastasia hoped she wouldn't see anyone she recognized, not wanting to be associated with Falcone and his gang. The lobby was sprawling with people, but none that she knew.

Someone cleared their throat behind her, causing her to look back at the man that watched her with a wicked grin. He approached her, tossing a sparkling rock high into the air before catching it. Adriano held it out, tilting his hand to get a closer look at the annoyance that brewed on her expression. "You made it, sweetheart!"

Anastasia held out her hand to take the ring, but Adriano grabbed her wrist. She winced, pulling against him but he held her tight as he slid the ring onto her finger himself. He let go, causing Anastasia to stumble back from the lack of force.

"Come on," he chuckled, leading her toward the elevator. Anastasia reluctantly followed him, rubbing her wrist and she hoped another bruise wouldn't form.

They rode the elevator up. Anastasia stayed quiet the whole time as Adriano talked about his day, something about doing a pick up for Falcone. She wasn't listening.

The elevator dinged open and the first thing Anastasia noticed was a tall woman dressed in a thin black dress with straight black hair that reached the middle of her back. "Adriano," the woman greeted curtly, staring at him with black eyes. "I can take it from here."

"Whatever you say, Erina," the man replied, shrugging his shoulders as he remained in the elevator while Anastasia stepped out.

The other woman, Erina, let her inside and Anastasia could feel herself calming down. She stared up at the woman, noticing how tall and thin she was. Her pale skin was littered with scars from injuries she must have earned over the years. She had multiple weapons hidden on her person, forcing Anastasia to look around to notice that most of the people in the room were armed. There were other guests too, scattered throughout the club as they talked and drank. Everyone was dressed in pretty dresses, drinking expensive wine and champagne.

Erina looked back, giving her a playful smirk. "You look nervous, Mrs. Wayne."

"Yeah, a little bit," Anastasia mumbled, nodding her head. "I don't usually come to places like this..."

The dark-haired woman chuckled. "I wouldn't worry if I were you. Nothing happens here, usually. I didn't see anyone else on the schedule other than you."

"Falcone has a schedule now?" Anastasia asked, scoffing as she imagined a gangster keeping tabs of all his appointments.

"Only a few people have access to it," Erina shrugged. She must be someone close to Falcone, Anastasia assumed. People showed respect to Erina as she passed by, something that Anastasia easily nodded when the others nodded their way.

"So, who are you to Falcone?" Anastasia asked curiously.

Erina faltered for a moment when they reached the staircase that led to the second floor of the club. She looked back, shrugging her shoulders. "No one special, really. I'm only working to pay off a debt."

Anastasia nodded. "I see..."

They headed up the stairs, walking past a white rose engraved into the wall. It was Falcone's calling card, most of Gotham knew that. Erina knocked on Falcone's door, immediately hearing a voice telling them to come inside. She opened the door for Anastasia, giving her a smile. "Good luck, Princess."

The door closed behind her, causing her to let out a heavy sigh as she faced the room. Falcone sat at one of the couches, sipping on a glass of whiskey as he watched her with dark eyes. There were two other men in the room, but they stood by the windows with stoic expressions. Falcone gestured for her to come closer, patting the seat on the couch beside him.

Anastasia cleared her throat, taking a seat on the couch across from him instead. "You wanted to see me?"

"I did," Falcone answered, pouring a glass of whiskey for her too. He slid it across the coffee table, causing her to gingerly reach for it. She swirled it in the glass, wrinkling her nose when the bitter aroma flooded her senses. "I wanted to speak without the presence of your husband. I'm hoping we can come to an arrangement on our own."

"Well, there are better ways to get someone's attention than threatening them," Anastasia reprimanded, shifting in her seat as she shook her head. "Your men scared my assistants half to death! And, they trashed my office."

His lips twitched upward. "Violence is the only language some people understand, sweet Ana."

She frowned at his words.

"Tell me, did you like the flowers?"

"Sure, they were lovely," Anastasia sighed, taking a sip of the whiskey. Just as it had smelled, the drink was bitter and burned her throat as it went down. She hoped it would soothe her nerves. "What did you want to talk about?"

"All business and no play, huh?" Falcone laughed, leaning forward as he watched her carefully. "Alright, darling, I'll cut to the chase. I think it'll be beneficial to us both if we decide to do business together."

"No, Mr. Falcone," Anastasia immediately said, shaking her head. It was the same conversation he had with Bruce back at the manor and she wasn't about to go behind her husband's back to work with a mobster. "I'm sorry, but nothing like that can happen. I thought my husband and I had made that very clear back the other day━━"

"It's a shame that you are so quick to say no," Falcone tsked, displeased with her answer as his grip tightened on his cup. "You father and I rose through the ranks and had Gotham by the throat together. We made the impossible happen. Don't you remember, Ana?"

"No..." Anastasia mumbled, frowning as she continued to stare at him. His smug expression bothered her, making her want to get up and leave. She didn't want to give a man like Falcone any more of her time, but she could see his guards watching them. "My father worked alone."

"Alone?" Falcone laughed, slapping his thigh as he shook his head. "No man can amass that kind of wealth on his own. Where'd you think the money came from to buy the hotels? Who paid for your college degree? Your fancy clothes? The lavish lifestyle you've become accustomed to?"

"What..." Anastasia frowned, feeling his words began to chip away at the wall that had been built inside her mind a long time ago. "What are you talking about?"

"We all benefitted," Falcone continued, leaning back in his seat as he shrugged his shoulders. "I needed a way to wash my money and your father had the bright idea to use hotels. It worked... It worked so damn good that no one noticed even after he was gone."

"The hotels aren't dirty," Anastasia spat out, glaring at the man in front of her and the accusations he threw in the air. She ran those hotels. They belonged to her after her father had died. She had seen the numbers, everything was clean. Falcone was lying.

"The life you're living," Falcone grinned, "It's all thanks to me, sweetheart."

Anastasia shot to her feet, ignoring how the guards grabbed their guns at her reaction. However, Falcone held up a hand to stop them but he kept his eyes on the anger that lingered in her expression. "How dare you sit there and say those things?"

Her words only caused the man to laugh as he stared at her confused. "How can you be so surprised? Drop the act! You were there, Ana. Always your father's shadow, supporting him every step of the way."

"No, I wasn't because none of what you're saying is true!" Anastasia shouted at him, feeling her head begin to pound as her skin burned. "My father... My father was a good man."

"Holy shit..." Falcone snickered, shaking his head as he seemed to put together the pieces. He gulped down the rest of his drink, slamming the glass down on the table. "He... He did that nasty mind trick on you, huh?"

"W-What?" she stammered, unable to make any sense of his words.

Falcone stood, walking toward his desk. He dug through one of the drawers before he found a photograph buried deep within. She watched him approach, holding out the photograph for her to take. The photograph showed signs of wear and tear, no doubt being from years ago. She noticed Falcone in the photo. He stood next to a man and a young blonde girl. Anastasia recognized her father's cold expression, one she had seen many times throughout her childhood. But, the more she stared at the picture, the more distorted the faces became. Eventually, the only person in the photograph she recognized was Falcone.

"I remember the first day your father brought you here," Falcome reminisced, smiling as tucked his hands into the pockets of his coat. "Doe-eyed in that little pink dress as you clung to your father's side. I think you were... eight?"

Anastasia shook her head, handing the photograph back to him. She didn't know who was in the photo nor why she would find it important. "It doesn't look like anything to me."

Falcone huffed, taking the photograph back as he squared his shoulders. He looked over it, clicking his tongue. "I suppose it wouldn't mean anything to you," he mumbled, setting the photograph on his desk. His men watched, lowering their defenses again. Falcone sighed, clasping his hands together. "I didn't realize his control lasted for so long."

She continued to stare at him, not truly processing a word he had said.

Though, it seemed as if Falcone had one more trick up his sleep. "Tell me, Anastasia, what is your father's name?"

Anastasia paused for a moment, prepared to say the answer but a name didn't come to mind. She stared at him for a moment, trying to ignore how smug he looked. "His name..." Anastasia breathed out softly. Her father's face came into view, but she couldn't remember his name. "I don't... His name... I..."

Falcone chuckled. "Well, your father never focused too much on the details, huh? I always told him that gift of his would get him into trouble."

"William," Anastasia answered, interrupting Falcone. "His name is William Lovejoy, I remember."

"Very good," Falcone clapped his hands, scoffing. "What was your mother's name?"

Her nails dug into the palm of her hands, feeling her breath quicken as the headache worsened. It seemed to engulf her whole head as she tried to think. "Her name was..." Anastasia took a deep breath, remembering how sweet her mother used to be, "Charlotte."

"And, how did she die?"

"Cancer," Anastasia immediately answered.

"What kind?"

"Why are you doing this?" She asked a question of her own, wanting to know what Falcone's motive was behind the family history lesson.

Falcone only tilted his head, waiting for her to answer as he went to pour himself another drink. Her cup of whiskey had been long forgotten, something Anastasia didn't even want to touch.

"Leukemia."

"Leukemia?" He asked as if he was testing her memory, making her frown.

"No... I remember now... It was a brain tumor," Anastasia corrected, seeing a flash of different memories flood her mind. She couldn't make sense of them, each memory contradicted the other. She remembered seeing her mother in a hospital bed, clinging onto her last breath. But, the memory was overtaken by the image of her mother bleeding out on their kitchen floor as she sobbed in her arms. But, then another memory came through, it was one where he mother was bedridden with an IV sticking out of her arm. At the center of the memories, her father watched with an empty expression. "She was sick..." Anastasia said. "I know she was sick."

"It wasn't any sickness that killed your mother."

"My mother died because we couldn't pay for her medication..."

Falcone shook his head, taking a sip of his drink. His shoulders had dropped, as if the conversation was taking a heavy toll on him. "No, your father murdered your mother... and you were in the room when it happened. But, he made you remember differently, didn't he?"

Anastasia blinked. And, it was as if she had rehearsed the words a million times. "My father blames himself for what happened to her. But, it wasn't his fault. Insurance covered next to nothing and we couldn't afford to pay ten grand a month out of pocket for the treatment. The cancer killed Charlotte Lovejoy. Tumor on the left side of her brain and it kept growing till it killed her."

"Wow..." Falcone mumbled, trying to hide his amusement as he shook his head. "I guess telling you the truth is useless since it'll just... go over your head."

It was quiet for a few moments as the two stared at each other, but then she heard the buzz start deep within her mind. It felt as if a chill had touched Anastasia as sharp nails scratched against the back of her neck. Then, it engulfed her right shoulder as it burned her skin. A small gasp left her lips as she clutched the right side of her brain, feeling the sharp pricks all over her mind. Her mind began to muddle as she tried her best to stay present. But, she could never win against the void that called from beyond. Eventually, the feeling passed and Anastasia smiled softly as she faced Falcone.

"What is it that you wanted to talk about, Mr. Falcone?" she asked, raising a brow as she crossed her arms over her chest. She didn't want to spend another moment in the presence of the mobster, but the armed men made her second think about her urge to run. "I'm a very busy woman and I will not have you send your goons to terrorize me again. So, either spit it out or I'm leaving."

Falcone clicked his tongue, realizing the past fifteen minutes of the conversation had disappeared. He took a sip of his whiskey as he tapped his finger against the side of his head. "Should have known your father would have left a failsafe."

Before Anastasia could ask him what he meant, the sound of commotion in the club startled them. She could hear the sound of screaming on the other side of the door, followed closely by the sound of gunfire. She gasped, taking a step back. Falcone and his men shared looks, grabbing the largest guns they had in the room. She frowned. "What's going on?"

Falcone didn't answer, turning on his wall of monitors that allowed him to oversee every corner of the club. She watched the screens, noticing the people running out of the club and Falcone's men that shot at an invisible force. Then, she saw the flash of black on one of the screens. She quickly looked at all of them, spotting the one and only Dark Knight of Gotham City. Batman effortlessly took down Falcone's men, making them look like mere children compared to him. Falcone grumbled, skin turning a dark red as he rushed toward the door.

"Goddamn circus freak!" Falcone shouted into the club, allowing his bullets to fly through the air haphazardly as he aimed at anything that moved.

Anastasia never realized how loud gunfire was, but curiosity got the better of her as watched Batman avoid the bullets on the monitors. This is what she had been afraid of, but she couldn't run out in the midst of bullets. Falcone's office was the safest room, so she stayed in there and hoped a stray bullet wouldn't hit her. She stayed behind one of the couches, keeping her eyes on the monitors. It didn't seem that Falcone cared about gunning down his own men, watching as the walls and furniture of the club had become stained red. They hit everything, but Batman.

"Show yourself!" Falcone yelled, firing a few bullets into the air. His men were gone, either knocked out or shot by Falcone. She couldn't help but notice Adriano laying motionless on the monitor, but Erina was nowhere to be found. It was only Falcone and Batman left. "You got no goddamn right to be here, freak!"

The ground broke apart from underneath Falcone, sending wood splinters in every direction as the Batman erupted out. He began to walk toward Falcone, telling him to give up. His deep voice sent shivers down Anastasia's back as she watched him. Falcone only picked up his gun and continued to fire, causing Batman to dodge the spray of bullets. A batarang was thrown, lodging itself in Falcone's shoulder. The older man rushed back into the office, slamming the door shut as he locked it.

His suit was covered in blood. He grinned at her, holding onto his arm as his face slightly contorted into a grimace. "Well, sweetheart, I recommend grabbing a gun."

"Falcone, just give up!" Anastasia gasped, unsure why Falcone was still fighting. Batman hadn't killed anyone yet, but Falcone had murdered at least five people in the last ten minutes.

Instead of answering her, Falcone fired into the wall where he hoped to hit Batman on the other side. He kept track of Batman's location with the monitors. There were a few guns nearby, but she had no interest in shooting at the Batman since it was a fight she could not win. Falcone's gunfire only worked to create holes in the door and walls. She watched as Batman threw a device into the room, watching a bright blue light go through the room. It didn't harm them, but fried every electronic device in the room. It didn't take a genius to know he had thrown an EMP. With no monitors to watch Batman, Falcone resorted to firing in haphazard directions. Anastasia clung to the couch, hoping a stray bullet wouldn't hit herself.

"You think that's gonna work?" Falcone spat out, waiting for Batman to come out of the shadows. "I'm gonna light up this whole damn━━"

The wall nearest Falcone collapsed as Batman destroyed it, causing the mobster to fall from the sheer force. The remainder of the wall crumbled as Batman stepped inside, deflecting Falcone's bullets with his gauntlet. His eyes lingered on Anastasia for the briefest moment before he returned his attention to Falcone. She watched him easily lift Falcone off the ground by his collar, causing the man's feet to dangle as he shrugged.

"Get your goddamn hands off my suit!" Falcone gritted out, spitting in Batman's face.

Batman threw him into the wall of monitors, causing them to fall with Falcone to the ground. She gasped softly, watching the older man groan in pain. She wanted to make a run for it, but the two were in the way of the door. Anastasia remained in the corner.

"Stay down, Falcone," Batman hissed, speaking in a low voice. "We can end this now."

"You got a lot to learn, kid. I got more tricks up my sleeve than that," Falcone spat out, pressing a button on his suit. It caused a turret to come down from the ceiling with controls that Falcone operated from a remote in his pocket. It began to fire.

Anastasia closed her eyes, waiting for the spray of bullets. But, she was tackled down to the ground behind one of Falcone's couches. Her eyes widened as she faced the cowl that belonged to Batman. His hands covered her head while the rest of his body worked to shield her from the bullets. She couldn't bring herself to say a word as she took shaky breaths. Batman leaned in, holding her close as the bullets kept firing.

"Stay down," he ordered, so quiet that Anastasia almost didn't hear him over the gunfire. "You'll be okay."

Anastasia rapidly nodded, telling him she understood. She could only watch as he tapped at his gauntlet, trying to ignore how close the Batman was. He still used most of his body to shield her, taking whatever impact the couch couldn't absorb. There wasn't a hint of pain in his expression. Though, she wasn't sure if she could tell since she could only see his lips and sharp jaw.

A loud boom sounded, causing Batman to tighten his grip on her as debris flew through the room. He slowly let go, peeking over the couch to see the damage he had caused. Whatever he had done, it had caused the turret to be destroyed and the wall leading outside to collapse. She caught the brief sight of a drone that flew outside before it disappeared. Outside, she could see the massive W of Wayne Enterprises staring back. She didn't realize what a view Falcone had of the tower. Batman stood. His cape briefly brushed against her as he began to approach Falcone. The older man scrambled on the ground, slowly inching toward his machine gun.

"It's over, Falcone," Batman said, placing a foot on the gun to prevent him from grabbing it. "Answers, now. Or, you fall."

"You wouldn't━━"

Falcone let out a frightened scream as Batman picked him up by the throat, leading him toward the opening in the wall before he dangled him over the ledge. They were on the fiftieth floor, no one could survive. Anastasia watched with wide eyes, unable to look away from the caped crusader.

"The chemicals," Batman said. "Where are they?"

"What?" Falcone was confused by his question.

Batman only shook him harshly, reminding Falcone of his predicament as he spared a glance down. "I found your calling card at the docks ━━ the white rose."

"You think I wanted to lead you here?" Falcone spat out, scoffing. Batman didn't seem pleased, choking Falcone with both his hands as he lifted him off the ground again. "Something reeks about this whole thing! And, it ain't a dead bat!"

Falcone pulled out a knife from his pocket before he swung it at Batman. However, the Bat easily dodged his attack before headbutting him. The sound of rainfall from outside had begun, showering the two of them with water but it didn't seem to bother Batman. However, the loud whirl of a helicopter filled the air as one came into view. A floodlight hit them, filling the room with bright light. It was no doubt sent by GCPD or the media. Anastasia hoped it was the former, not wanting the media to know she had been there.

"Still wanna play games?" Batman asked. She could see the police on the lower floors of the club, causing her to let out a sigh of relief. But, the Dark Knight was running out of time for his interrogation.

"We're all being played here, including you," Falcone said. "Those chemicals you're so riled up about. They're mine, alright? But someone's trying to cut me out of the deal, because I did not make that mess at the docks!"

"Then who did?"

"No, we're done!" Falcone gritted out, pointing to the helicopter behind him. Anastasia looked closer at the helicopter, noticing that it said GCPD on the side. It wasn't the media. "Gotham's watching now!"

Batman growled, clearly growing impatient with the lack of results. He hung Falcone by his wrists on the metal rods that stuck out of the exposed concrete. "Spill it, Falcone! While you still can!"

"Ana, sweetheart," Falcone called out, turning his attention to her instead. She watched him, noticing the desperation that clung to his features. "I know you better than you know yourself! I can help you if you help me. Pick up that gun and shoot this freak!"

Anastasia shook her head, noticing that Batman was watching her every move too. She watched Falcone sway, taking shaky breaths as the pain from his injuries began to take over. If she shot at Batman, it would surely be the end for her. And, she didn't want to shoot at the one man who saved her life.

Anastasia.

She paused, hearing a foreign voice deep within her mind. It made her flinch as she stumbled back, clutching her head at the pain that sparked.

Pick up the gun, Anastasia.

With slow steps, she picked up Falcone's abandoned gun. It was too heavy in her hands, but she still managed to lift it off the ground. Her actions made Falcone grin, nodding his head. However, she didn't aim it at Batman. She aimed it at Falcone. Anastasia wasn't sure what she was doing. It felt as if she was on autopilot, moving through a set of instructions. She glared at Falcone, noticing the shock on his face as a string of curses left his lips.

Pull the trigger, Anastasia.

A voice whispered in her mind, making her flinch as she tightened her hold on the gun.

Shoot him! Do it! Now!

"Do not become like him," Batman said, speaking louder than the voice in Anastasia's mind. He held his hand out, prepared to protect Falcone from the potential spray of bullets.

Her vision blurred as the gun shook in her hands. Different memories flooded her mind, some she didn't recognize as they danced across her vision. "He destroyed my family..." Anastasia whispered, focusing on Batman. "It must have been him."

"If you kill him, I'll have no choice but to turn you to the GCPD," Batman approached, moving slowly as he kept his hand out to take the gun. "With the evidence stacked against him, he'll be locked up for a long time."

"Shoot him!" Falcone gasped out, growing angrier by the second as he struggled against his restraints. The sound of the helicopter seemed louder and louder by the second.

"Do you promise?" Anastasia asked Batman, noticing that the voice had quieted down. It had stopped speaking completely, as if it was listening to the conversation too. Her desire to kill Falcone had disappeared, thankfully.

Batman took the gun from her hands, throwing it across the room. His eyes never left Anastasia. "I promise."

"You two are so stupid!" Falcone spat out, baring his teeth at the two of them. His frustration was evident as he watched the police begin to make their way up the stairs. He shook his head, realizing what was about to happen. "You're blaming me? But, this whole time, it's been the Waynes! They're behind all of this! Everything wrong with Gotham began with them!"

Batman looked back at Anastasia, but she wasn't sure what Falcone was talking about. He looked back at the older man. "What do you mean?"

"You wanna save this city?" Falcone laughed, shaking his head. Anastasia looked at his desk, noticing a framed photograph. It showed Falcone with the Waynes, even Alfred was in the photo as he held a tray of drinks. There were two other men, one with his back against the photograph and the other was... her father. She picked it up, showing it to Batman to confirm Falcone's words. It only made Falcone laugh harder as he noticed the surprise on Batman's face. "Well... the Waynes are the biggest gangsters in Gotham!"

The police burst through the doors, holding their guns up to aim it at them. "Thanks for the assist," the female cop in the lead said. "Now, we only need to take one of you down! Open fire!"

Batman grabbed Anastasia, seemingly moving faster than the bullets. She clung to him, not daring to open her eyes as he jumped out of the opening in the wall. The wind and rain hit them, causing her grip to falter on him. However, he kept an arm around her waist as they flew through the air. She opened one eye, noticing how high up they were. But, she quickly closed them again as she buried her face in his shoulder. Batman must have known who she was, taking her directly to the balcony of her office at Wayne Tower.

A breath of relief left her lips as her feet touched the balcony floor, causing her to calm as she took in deep breaths. She couldn't believe the GCPD would open fire on Batman so easily. What if a bullet had hit her or Falcone?

"What did Falcone want with you?" Batman asked, keeping his gaze directed on the city before them. They could still see the Skyline Club, the police scrambling to get Falcone off the wires as the helicopter continued to buzz nearby.

Fortunately, it didn't seem as if they had noticed where they had landed. But, she could see how Batman gripped the railing. It was as if she could feel the anger radiating off him. He didn't seem too happy with how the events at the club had unfolded. But despite the display of violence she had seen between Batman and Falcone, she couldn't bring herself to fear Batman. In fact, there was something familiar about him.

Anastasia shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know..." She confessed, standing beside him as she tried to get a better look at him. He avoided her gaze, keeping his head turned. It wasn't as if she could figure out who Batman was from a glimpse of his lips and jaw. "He never said what he wanted. Our conversation didn't go that far. But, I think he wanted to work out some sort of deal. It was business, I think."

It was the truth. Or, at least, that was all Anastasia could remember of the conversation. Her head still pounded, making her clutch her head as a stray tear slipped down her cheek. She wiped it away, noticing that the rain had started to let up. The sun had already set, leaving the moon and stars as their company. Batman hesitated, but he faced her.

"Are you hurt?"

Anastasia shook her head. "No... I..." She trailed off, thinking about what Falcone had said about the Waynes. It was one of the things that she remembered clearly. The photograph had been a shock to Anastasia, wondering what secrets the past held. She looked down at her ring, letting out a heavy sigh. "My husband, Bruce... Bruce Wayne," she clarified, looking up at the W that continued to glow a bright blue. "He is going to be devastated by the news. He idolizes his parents, as any kid would. But, now, he's going to find out they were..."

She couldn't finish, leaning against the railing. Batman only stared, listening to her speak. He seemed to be buried within his own thoughts.

"My father was in that photo," Anastasia whispered, mostly to himself. She remembered, recalling the gray suit he wore and the golden drink in his hand. "He worked with the Waynes, must have worked with Falcone too. They... They must have kept him under control. It's the only explanation. After all, Wayne Enterprises bought Lovejoy Corp. It's the only reason he's in that photo."

William Lovejoy was a good man. Anastasia knew that. There was nothing that would change that. She knew her father. He was a good man. Right?

"You were going to shoot Falcone," Batman commented. His voice was void of any emotion, but he didn't seem happy.

"No... I..." Anastasia bit her lip, unsure of what she could say to help her case. "I just felt this urge... It was as if something or someone was telling me to kill him. I'm glad I didn't! Falcone needs to see justice in court, not be shot to death."

They stayed quiet for a moment. Anastasia felt weak, leaning most of her weight against the railing as her headache worsened. She needed to take some aspirin and sleep for the rest of the night. Her day had been too much for her to handle.

"Your nose is bleeding."

Anastasia frowned, brushing her hand against her nose. She drew her hand back, looking at the red that stained her fingertips. "I'm fine," she whispered, wiping at her nose again to see even more blood cover her hand. She let out an awkward laugh, placing her sleeve against her nose to stop the bleeding. "It must have been all the excitement."

"Do you need help?" Batman asked. He took a step toward her, but she flinched back. He paused his footsteps, not attempting to approach her again.

"I'm fine," she mumbled, walking toward the door that led inside. She looked back at him, frowning. "I think you should leave."

She entered the office, stealing a glance back to see that Batman was gone. Locking the door behind her, she headed to her desk where a box of tissues waited. She held them against her nose, grateful that there wasn't too much blood anymore. Her nose must have stopped bleeding, but her jacket's sleeve was stained. She pulled out her phone from her pocket, frowning when it wouldn't turn on.

"Great..." she mumbled softly, dropping the phone on her desk. It wasn't as if she couldn't afford a new phone, but having to transfer everything to a new phone was a daunting task.

It was dark in the office with the only light coming from her desktop, a picture of Bruce and her on their wedding day stared back. It made her smile. She picked up the office phone, prepared to dial her husband's number. But, she hesitated. Would he pick up?

Still, she dialed the number to his personal cell. She had it memorized.

"Hey, you've reached━━"

Anastasia hung up, letting out a heavy sigh. She called him again. Please pick up, Bruce.

"Hey, you've reached Bruce━━"

She hung up again, collapsing in her office chair as she shook her head. Instead, she dialed another number ━━ one she had written down on one of many sticky notes around her desk. She listened to the phone ring two times before the person on the other end picked up.

"Hello, Ana?"

She sighed softly, grateful someone had picked up. "Hey, Harvey."

"Hey, it's so good to hear from you!" Harvey said and Anastasia could tell he was smiling on the other end. "How are you?"

"Uh..." Anastasia started, staring at the bloodied tissues she had thrown into the trash can by her desk. "I'm not doing so well. I was wondering if you wanted to hang out? I just... I don't want to be alone right now."

"I'll be right there, Ana," he said softly. "You're still at work, right?"

"I am."

"Alright, give me fifteen minutes," he reassured, causing Anastasia to nod despite him not being able to see. "I'll be there soon."

"Thank you, Harvey," Anastasia said, grateful for his friendship. "I knew I could count on you."

I KNOW THIS CHAPTER WAS PROBABLY VERY CONFUSING, but it'll start to make sense as Ana uncovers more of her past! She doesn't remember everything because of that "mind trick" her father has done! I am so excited to slowly start to reveal things as Ana figures them out. Falcone revealed quite a bit, but even he didn't know everything. I hope it kind of makes sense why Ana acts the way she does, but it'll make more sense later! For now, we'll stay as confused as Ana is.

There are references to Westworld in here and omg, I love that show a lot! Though, to avoid confusion, there's no robots or anything in this fic! Anastasia is definitely human, but her mind may not be as reliable as we think it is!

ALSO, THOSE SCENES BETWEEN ANA AND BATMAN!! This is what I live for, omg. I am so excited to write more scenes between the two of them! It's fun to write Bruce's reactions! I wanted to create a sub-plot for Ana that was separate from the Telltale story. So, we'll be exploring that and I hope that'll make the story longer too! I don't want it to be too short because I just love this book.

I didn't expect to get a chapter out this soon, but somehow, I was able to complete it! I'm not super happy with it because I wanted it to be more mysterious and poetic, but oh well! It'll better to get a chapter posted than worry about it forever! In the next chapter, we'll have fluffy scenes between Ana and Harvey! And, then some fluff between Ana and Bruce too! I am so excited to write the next chapter!

AMARA.
[ PUBLISH DATE ━━ 05.02.2022 ]

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro