Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS
xvii. HERE'S THE THING ABOUT LEGACIES
THE APPLE DOESN'T FALL FAR
FROM THE TREE.

ANASTASIA LOVEJOY-WAYNE PLACED A DIAMOND NECKLACE around Laura Moretti's neck, watching her eyes light up in the vanity mirror. Her hand placed on the woman's shoulder, watching as she admired how it sparkled in the light. The party had already begun, but the two had yet to make their presence known. But, it didn't truly matter how fashionably late they were since the guests would be entertained by Bruce's presence alone. It was a surprise he had made it to the event on time, considering he was the one who was always late.

"There," Anastasia mused, taking a step back from Laura to admire her handiwork. It hadn't been difficult to doll Laura up, considering the woman's natural beauty shined through. She wore a red dress that reached her ankles paired with silver heels which made her seem taller than she already was. Her neck had been looking a little bare, so Anastasia had suggested a necklace. She smiled. "I think it ties in the outfit."

"It's beautiful," Laura whispered. Her fingers trailed against the diamonds of the necklace. It was a tennis necklace with over two dozen diamonds, sparkling despite not being worn in a few years. "How much was this?"

"I'm not too sure," Anastasia lied, shrugging her shoulders. She knew Bruce had spent thousands of dollars on the necklace, listening to her complaints about it being too expensive as he had put it around her neck. The memory made her smile, trying her best to cling to it before it disappeared into the depths of her mind. "It was an anniversary present after we had been married for two years, I believe."

"Perhaps, I need to settle down with a billionaire too," Laura chuckled, standing to her feet as she smiled at Anastasia. She began to look around the room, awed by all of the things in the bedroom. She wandered into the closet, flicking on the light to stare at all the shoes on display. "You know what, Anastasia," Laura said, poking her head out to look at the blonde. "You're like Barbie and this is your dream house."

Anastasia laughed, shaking her head. However, her attention was elsewhere as she stared at the flash drive in her hands. They had deleted everything off the computers, considering GCPD had come in and taken everything. However, Mayor Dent had promised to take back the order and return everything. It had taken a few days, but they had gotten everything back untouched. She had left everything on the flash drive, deciding it was better to keep the files close. It was too risky to leave in her purse since it might get damaged. Wayne Manor was the best spot to keep the flash drive, but she needed to find the perfect hiding place for━━

The door opened, revealing Bruce. He offered a warm smile, facing Anastasia for a few moments before his eyes drifted to Laura who held a pair of shoes. But, his attention returned to his wife. "Hey, the party's started," he said, regarding the two of them. He held his hand out for Anastasia to take. "I'm starting to get lonely down there."

"You, lonely?" Anastasia teased, walking up to him as she took his hand. She placed a gentle kiss against his lips. The nasal cannula hit against his nose, but he didn't seem to mind as his hand brushed against her cheek. "Well, if I had known how handsome you looked, I would have come down sooner."

"Not as beautiful as you look," Bruce whispered, giving her another kiss. He pulled away, but still held her hand. His gaze flickered to Laura, awkwardly standing by the closet as she offered a smile. Though, the woman was used to it. "Come on, you two. Can't hide in the bedroom forever."

"Fine, I guess it's time to mingle," Anastasia sighed, gesturing for Laura to follow. For a moment, her gaze stayed on the flash drive still left on the vanity table. She knew it was unlikely someone would make their way into their bedroom. Still, she was worried.

They exited the bedroom, Laura still standing close. Bruce locked the bedroom door, pocketing the keys. With so many guests, most of the manor doors were locked. After all, it was likely someone would wander into something they weren't supposed to. She still held Bruce's hand, allowing him to lead them downstairs. Her other hand dragged the oxygen cart with them, grateful she had gotten used to its weight. Laura kept her eyes out, staring below at the elite of Gotham. It wasn't her first time at a party thrown by the Waynes, so she was prepared for how the night may play out. She had taken the role of keeping track of the donations, despite Anastasia telling her she could relax.

"It's strange how everyone is content just standing around and talking to one another," Laura pointed out, peering at the crowds of people from behind them. She wasn't wrong, considering most were chatting as they sipped on wine. Live classical music echoed throughout the manor, but it wasn't something someone could dance to.

They began to descend the stairs. Bruce took the oxygen cart, effortlessly lifting it off the ground for Anastasia. She still held onto the hand railing, finding that the stairs still tended to make her tired. Though, she tried to distract herself as she thought about Laura's comment.

Anastasia looked back at Laura, giving her a smile. "Trust me, these things are so boring."

"I think the wine keeps them preoccupied," Bruce pointed out, reaching the bottom of the stairs. He set the cart down, allowing Anastasia to take over again. People watched them from the corner of their eyes, pretending that they hadn't noticed Mr. and Mrs. Wayne join the party.

"And, I bet they like playing dress-up for the night," Laura added, looking around at the expensive gowns and suits everyone around them wore. She frowned, clearing her throat as she tapped Anastasia on her shoulder. Out of habit, she warned, "Regina, six o'clock."

A sigh left Anastasia's lips before she heard Regina's voice call out for them. It made Bruce stiffen, sparing a glance back at the older woman that approached. She was dressed in a silver dress, flattering on her smaller frame. "Bruce, Anastasia," Regina regarded them, holding a glass of champagne. "The two of you look lovely."

"Thank you, Regina," Bruce said, giving her a nod.

"I was hoping I could talk to the two of you," Regina said, looking into her champagne glass as she avoided their gaze. She looked around at the people standing in close proximity, able to hear every word of the conversation. "Though, this may not be the time or place. But, we should talk. It's important."

"Alright," Bruce mumbled, almost as if he had been expecting Regina's response. They had a few meetings with the board members already, regarding the GCPD raid on Wayne Enterprises. Anastasia and Bruce had reassured them over and over again that it was nothing, something that will pass. But, it was clear some sort of action would be taken soon. "How about later this week?"

"Sounds good," Regina said, nodding her head slowly. She looked behind them, noticing that Laura was there as she silently watched. "Oh, Laura, hello, you're here too."

"I am," Laura said, nodding her head. She forced a smile to her lips, stepping around Anastasia and Bruce to join Regina's side. As always, Laura knew what to do to diffuse the awkward situation. "I'm in charge of keeping track of the donations," Laura said, sparing a glance in their direction. She took Regina's hand, starting to lead her away. "Let me show you how much we've raised."

For a moment, the two walked in peaceful silence as they navigated through the sea of guests. It had taken a week or so to set up the fundraiser, inviting all of Gotham's wealthy and a handful of their friends. Live music played from the stage set up, sparking distant memories from Anastasia's past. However, the classical music drifting in the air was vastly different from the rock music she was used to.

"So, how's everything going?" Anastasia asked, looking up at her husband.

"Fine, so far," Bruce responded, meeting her eyes for a brief moment before he returned to leading them through the crowd. Both of them gave silent smiles to the guests, doing their best to acknowledge as many people they could. "Only a few people have been brave enough to ask about the debate."

Anastasia sighed, shaking her head. "I will literally cry if someone asks me about the debate," she mumbled, earning a chuckle from Bruce. But, a part of her knew there was truth behind her joke.

"No one should," Bruce reassured, squeezing her hand. "It's impolite."

Her eyes trailed down to the oxygen tank she dragged, fighting the urge to roll her eyes. "Well, being on oxygen is a conversation starter."

"Just one more week till you'll only need it at night," Bruce whispered, stopping near a quiet corner. He still held her hand, keeping her close to him as his eyes scanned the crowd. He frowned, noticing a few of his friends beckoning him over. It was a few boys he had gone to college with. As far as Anastasia knew, he wasn't close to them anymore. But, they did occasionally show up to their parties since all of them were trust-fund babies like Bruce. "I'll be right back, darling," he said, raising her hand to place a kiss against her knuckles. "I'm sure you don't want to be stuck talking to them."

"Yeah, you go ahead," Anastasia smiled, remembering the last time she had gotten stuck in a conversation with them. All they wanted to talk about was their latest vacations or the last game of golf they played at the country club. "Be a gracious host, my love."

She watched him leave, twiddling with her thumbs as she tried to figure out what she should be doing. Normally, she would be under so much stress at their events since she tried her best to make sure everything went perfectly. But, everyone else had taken charge. Alfred had hired everyone, allowing them to follow his instructions to set up the event. And, now, Laura had taken over the role of watching the donations. She was left with nothing to do, except stand in the corner and watch the crowd. Anastasia began to wander, making her way toward the bar where she requested a drink. However, the bartender gave her non-alcoholic champagne. She frowned, raising a brow.

"Apologizes," the man mumbled, keeping his eyes low. "Just following the rules."

She sighed, noticing Alfred watching them from across the room. A part of her felt annoyed, but she knew better than to take it out on the bartender. "Thank you, anyways."

Anastasia walked off, avoiding the people around her as they tried to get her attention. The last gala they had held was for Harvey Dent, so it was strange to not have him there ━━ especially since he was always at all their galas after he had become their friend. He had a talent for public speaking, being able to effortlessly draw people into his words. She made her way into the parlor, empty. She closed the door behind her, watching some peace. The expensive spirits sat in glass bottles, appearing as golden liquids in the light of the fireplace. She picked out a whiskey, uncorking the bottle. She drank most of the sweet champagne, leaving just a little bit till she filled the rest of her glass with the whiskey. She put everything back to how it was, making it seem untouched. Then, she headed back outside. She smiled at a nearby guest, a woman dressed in a purple dress. Anastasia took a sip, staying in her corner as she dragged the oxygen tank.

Some time had passed in silence. She mindlessly swirled the champagne glass in her hands, listening to the drone of voices. Her glass now filled with virgin champagne, courtesy of Bruce and Alfred watching her every move, and the whiskey. Her mind was buzzed, watching the socialites of Gotham move around her as they excitedly chatted about the drama involving the Waynes. But, Anastasia could only focus on her pounding head. It always started as a hum deep within her head before it became unbearable. The fundraiser gala had been her idea, but she wanted it to be over. She could see Laura in the far corner, speaking to Regina and her husband, Robert. Most of the day, Laura had spent by Anastasia's side. But, Anastasia had told her to go have fun ━━ as much fun as you could have at a gala.

"You look lonely," a voice said, causing Anastasia to look back to see Clarice join her side. She was dressed in a black dress that reached the middle of her calf with a slit that showed off her toned sigh. A champagne glass in her hands, filled with the pale sparkling liquid of the same virgin champagne. Her head tilted, giving Anastasia a playful smile. "Mind some company?"

"I don't mind," Anastasia said, returning the taller woman's smile. She wondered if Bruce had put Clarice up to this, but she was tired of being alone so she didn't care. "You're not drinking tonight?"

Clarice shrugged. "I decided it would be best to stay sober tonight."

"Well, I'm being forced to stay sober," Anastasia muttered bitterly, staring at the red lipstick stain against the glass. She sighed, facing the taller woman whose eyes had never left her face. "I'm sorry," she said quietly, "for the other night and being forty minutes late to dinner."

A chuckle left Clarice's lips, painted the same red as Anastasia's. "It's okay, really. It gave me time to catch up with Alfred."

"Still, I feel bad," Anastasia mumbled, crossing her arms. "I'm not always like that, I swear."

"It's okay, Ana," Clarice smiled, shrugging her shoulders. There was something about the woman, something that Anastasia couldn't place. Perhaps, it was all her years as a detective or the way she was raised, but her smile hid a million truths. It was similar to one of Bruce's smiles. "I must admit, Bruce warned me plenty about you."

Anastasia nodded, taking a sip of her spiked champagne. "He thinks there's something wrong with me."

"No, of course not," Clarice said, a little too fast for Anastasia's liking. It seemed that Clarice had noticed her shift in mood, causing a sigh to leave her lips. "He loves you very much, that much I can tell. He just wants the best for you."

"Yeah, sure," Anastasia mumbled, taking another sip of the bitter concoction. She forced a smile to her lips. "I'm glad Bruce has you," she continued. "I've always felt so bad he grew up with no one except Alfred, so knowing he had an older sister looking out for him... It's reassuring."

"Our childhood has been... hectic," Clarice confessed, shrugging her shoulders. Her dark eyes focused on her. "How about yours? You grew up in Gotham?"

"I did..." Anastasia nodded, knowing she had spent most of her life in Gotham City. "But, I don't remember much of my childhood. It's all such a... blur."

"Strange, don't you think?" Clarice asked.

"I suppose," Anastasia tightened her grip on her glass, letting out a shaky breath. She chewed the inside of her cheek. "My doctor says I don't remember because I suffered a head injury a few years back, but I don't remember that either."

"I don't think━━"

Her phone began to ring, causing her to dig through her clutch to get it out. She stared at the screen for a moment, frowning. "It's Bullock, down at the GCPD," she said, giving her an apologetic smile. "I need to take this call."

She walked off, leaving Anastasia alone.

It was quiet for a few moments, Anastasia sipping on her whiskey. It had begun to leave an effect, but it was something she had grown accustomed to. She watched the crowds, noticing that Bruce was speaking to a familiar face ━━ Selina Kyle. They stood across the room, keeping a respectable distance. She noticed Laura close by, typing away at her phone. Alfred was nowhere to be seen, but she assumed he was taking care of things behind the scene.

"The oxygen tank really ties the whole outfit together," a voice called out, making her frown as her grip tightened on her glass. "Doesn't it, love?"

Her gaze slowly lifted, widening as she recognized the voice behind her. She turned. Oswald Cobblepot stood mere feet away, giving her a wicked grin. His suit was nice and polished with his hair gelled back, looking like everyone else in the room. Anastasia tried not to show her discomfort, but she had always been an open book. "You have no right to be here, Oswald."

"I've added myself to the guest list," Oswald grinned, standing beside her as he took a sip of his drink. "I'm only surprised to not see your tank bedazzled with diamonds. Or, can you and Bruce not afford them anymore with Wayne stocks dropping?"

Anastasia gulped, keeping her eyes away. She tried to find Bruce in the crowd again, but he was nowhere to be seen. She couldn't find anyone. Alfred, Bruce, Clarice, Laura, Selina ━━ she couldn't see any of them.

Oswald cleared his throat, stepping closer. "Though, love, I'm more surprised that you haven't said a word about the debate," he hummed, causing her to stare at him from the corner of her eyes. It was the truth, Anastasia hadn't told anyone she knew the identity of Penguin. Except Laura, she had told her. But, she wasn't about to tell Oswald that. It was best if he thought only she knew his identity. "I suppose two bullets wasn't enough to kill you. Should have aimed higher, hit your heart. Or, just shot you in the head like Hill."

"Leave me alone," Anastasia gritted out, turning to walk away. She needed to find someone, tell them to make Oswald leave.

However, Oswald grabbed her arm to prevent her from taking another step. His fingernails dug into the skin of her upper arm, making her wince as she met his mischievous gaze. "I like you, Ana. You aren't half bad, but don't get in my way. Or I'll finish what I started," he threatened, keeping her close. "And for good measure, I'll make sure Bruce follows you into the grave. Wouldn't that just be romantic?"

"What do you want?" Anastasia whispered, narrowing her eyes into a glare. She wasn't sure if Oswald was drawing blood by how tight he held her arm, but she tried not to focus on it. She didn't want to appear weak, refusing to give him any more power over her.

"You and Bruce dead, all the riches in the world," Oswald shrugged, lips twitching upward into a smile. He looked around the room. "If I still had this kind of money, it'd be parties every day. I wouldn't have settled down and started on the path of boredom."

"Well, that isn't happening," Anastasia spat out, tugging on her arm but he still kept an iron grip. "You'll be stopped, Oswald. If not by the GCPD, then Batman."

Oswald shrugged, chuckling. He didn't seem phased by the mention of either the GCPD or Batman. "I'll get what I want. Either I kill you both or... I'll give the Waynes a taste of their own medicine. You made sure my Mum never left Arkham Asylum and because of that, my father killed himself from grief. I'd do the same to you two."

His words made Anastasia frown, knowing that the Waynes had hurt the Cobblepots. Penguin was a product of what the Waynes had done, but it didn't excuse his actions. It didn't excuse the crimes and murders he had committed. "I'm sorry for what happened, Oswald," she said softly. "But, this isn't the way."

He clicked his tongue. "Sorry ain't gonna cut it, love," he muttered, pulling her close as all emotion drained from his expression. "I look forward to killing you. I promise to make it more extravagant this time around."

He let go of her arm, causing Anastasia to stumble back. She used the oxygen cart to balance herself, feeling tears sting at her eyes. Straightening herself out, she couldn't dare to look at Oswald again. She couldn't stop the flashes of the debate from appearing before her eyes, causing her to hear nothing but the gunshots.

"Clumsy, aren't you?" Oswald teased, sparing a glance at the guests whose attention they had caught. His eyes drifted to the drink she still held in her hands, raising a brow. "Perhaps, you've had too much to drink, Mrs. Wayne?"

Anastasia immediately walked off, searching for Bruce in the crowd. She tried to keep the tears at bay, feeling her throat close as her hands trembled. Finally, she spotted him by Clarice and Alfred as they spoke in hushed tones. She rushed over, catching only glimpses of their conversation as they spoke about the Children of Arkham. She placed a hand on Bruce's shoulder, forcing him to look in her direction.

"Bruce," she managed to say, staring at him through unshed tears. She didn't care if she had interrupted their conversation, taking his hand. "Please, I need to talk to you alone."

Bruce frowned, facing her with concern as he noticed the tears streaming down her cheeks. For a moment, his eyes drifted down to the drink in her hands and then at her abdomen as he looked for any sign of physical injury. He glanced back at Alfred and Clarice, excusing himself before he took Anastasia to a deserted corner where they could speak in private. He held her hand, making her wonder if he could feel it shaking. "Ana, what's wrong?" he asked softly, giving her hand a squeeze as he held her close. She tried to find her voice, sniffling. Bruce nodded slowly, giving her a kind smile as he waited for her to speak. He placed a gentle hand against her cheek. "Darling, you're safe. Breathe, alright?"

"Bruce..." She took a shaky breath, looking back into the crowd. Without context that Oswald had been the shooter at the debate, her request was going to sound ridiculous. She knew. But, she couldn't stand to see him. She couldn't stand to listen to him. She wanted him gone. The manor was supposed to be safe. It pushed her over the edge to know their greatest enemies would boldly enter their home. "Oswald Cobblepot isn't on the guest list. I want him gone," She said sternly, trying to wipe the tears away before they fell again. She met Bruce's eyes. "Please."

At her words, Bruce's demeanor changed completely. His smile had dropped as his jaw clenched, watching her with an unreadable expression. His eyes didn't stay on her for long, scanning the crowd for Oswald. He still held her close, keeping a gentle grip. "Cobblepot is here?"

She nodded, staring at Bruce. "I don't want him here," she said, barely able to get her voice louder than a whisper. "He's in our home, Bruce. I... I want you to make him leave, please."

Bruce placed a gentle kiss against the side of her head, spotting Oswald beside his sister Clarice. His eyes darkened, but he continued to hold Anastasia as he rubbed her back. "Don't worry, darling," he said softly, slowly letting go of her. His cold gaze never left Oswald. "I'll take care of it."

His fists clenched. He walked off, heading toward the direction of Oswald.

Anastasia took deep breaths, trying to calm herself down. Bruce was taking care of it; she had nothing to worry about. In a few moments, Oswald would be escorted━━

She felt a sharp prick in her neck before a hand curled around her shoulder. Hot breath fanned across her exposed neck, making shivers run down her spine. All at once, Anastasia felt as if she was burning up and left out in the tundra. She swayed, watching as the world blurred around her. But before she could fall, someone steadied her from behind.

"Anastasia..." the voice whispered in her ear, causing a shaky breath to leave her red-stained lips. It was a woman's voice, sweet like honey with a bitter aftertaste. "Do you feel that?"

A soft whimper left Anastasia's lips as she leaned back into the woman, unable to keep her legs straight as the drug injected into her bloodstream began to take effect. She tried to look back, but her head was kept forward as she faced the elitists of Gotham. The woman's nails dug into the skin of her shoulder, but she could barely feel it. "What..." Anastasia breathed out, trying to keep her eyes open. "What did you do to me?"

"Look at them," the woman cooed, forcing Anastasia to focus on the faces in the crowd. It wasn't anyone she recognized, seeing their faces blur together. "They're watching you. They're all watching you."

All their eyes turned to look in their direction. No emotion in their beady black eyes, watching with blank expressions. The room had gone quiet as they all watched her. It made her frown, letting out a shaky breath as she shook her head.

"They're laughing at you, Anastasia."

Just as the woman said, they began to laugh. It showed off their razor teeth stained with red, either from the wine or blood. It made Anastasia squeeze her eyes shut, trying to catch her breath. She couldn't breathe. Her hands reached for the oxygen tank, but it had been pushed far away by the woman behind her. She had to rely on herself, taking slow yet steady breaths.

"This must have been a dream come true for a girl born into poverty," the woman whispered, brushing her lips against her ear. "Marrying into the Wayne family, billionaires with hearts as cold as ice."

"Bruce..." Anastasia whispered, trying to get his attention. Her voice was unheard, the sound dying deep within her throat. He stood by his sister as they spoke to Oswald Cobblepot, Penguin. He had tried to kill her at the debate. He shot her two times. It was as if she was shot again, feeling the pain burn her abdomen. Her hands clutched at her stomach, feeling the bandages underneath her dress.

"He doesn't care about you. He's laughing with the man who tried to murder you," the woman continued, holding her steady. It was a familiar voice, but one that Anastasia couldn't place. "The Wayne family doesn't care about anyone except for themselves. History does not lie. Poor little Anastasia, caught in their web of crimes. Bruce must be growing tired of you. Look at them, the three are plotting your demise."

Bruce was growing tired of her? It didn't surprise Anastasia. All the signs had been there, but she had been too stupid to notice them. He was always late. He ignored all her messages. He rarely ever made any time for her. He didn't love her anymore. And, the most logical decision was to have her killed. All the pieces fell into place, something the woman kept repeating into her ear.

"It was the 1960s, Arkham Asylum," the woman continued, forcing Anastasia to cling to every word that left her lips. "The Waynes and Arkhams ran experiments deep within the depths of the Asylum. Amongst the victims, we found the names William Lovejoy and Patient Zero... Later, she began to go by the name Charlotte Thornton."

"My parents..." Anastasia whispered.

"Yes," the woman cooed, excitement buzzed in her voice. "They were put through torment as the Waynes searched for more power. They beat them, forced them to train for hours upon hours, took away their lives. And for what?"

Anastasia didn't know, still finding the experiments a mystery. She had only learned as much as the files from Dr. Franklin had provided, but most of the information had been redacted. She wasn't any bit closer to the truth, but one thing she was sure of was that the Waynes played a huge part in her parents' demise.

"Even escaping from Arkham was a temporary relief," the woman said, clicking her tongue. "Thomas Wayne played a hand in your mother's death. Your father murdered under mysterious circumstances, no doubt another ruse by the Waynes. You're next, Anastasia. How does Bruce Wayne intend to kill his loving wife? Having you shot didn't work. What's next?"

"No... Not true..." Anastasia didn't want to believe her, refusing to believe Bruce played a hand at what happened at the debate. She felt another needle jab into her back, causing her to shudder as the drug quickly took effect.

"Destroy them, Anastasia," the woman ordered, loosening her grip on her shoulder. "Make them suffer for what they did to you and your family. Make them pay. Tell all of Gotham how they've hurt you. Expose all their dirty secrets. Destroy the Waynes."

Anastasia stumbled forward, heading toward the stage that was set up. The band still played, but she held a finger to her lips to silence them. Confusion spread across their features, but they did as they were told. She stood in front of the microphone, tapping it a few times to listen to the feedback. It immediately began to draw the attention of everyone close enough to notice the band go quiet.

Destroy the Waynes, Anastasia.

The voice buzzed in her ears, making her wince as she squeezed her eyes shut for a few moments. Bright light from the spotlight flushed her skin, making her wonder if she was sweating from the heat or the drug coursing through her veins.

"Good evening, everyone," Anastasia began, allowing her voice to echo throughout the manor. Everyone turned to look in her direction. Her eyes struggled to stay open, facing the crowd. Her hands gripped the microphone, using the pole to keep herself steady. "How are we enjoying the party?"

There was a clamor of responses to her question, but she was unable to make out what anyone was saying. The room flickered, becoming pitch black for a few moments before the lights came back. It happened once... twice... and then again, and again, and again. Then, the screeches sounded. They seemed to come from deep within the manor, making her look up to the second floor where she could see the vicious creatures running in the pitch darkness.

She remembered the hospital. She remembered how the creature had torn into her skin. She remembered bleeding out as it screamed into her ear, almost deafening her. The animal attacks... Eric... Oh, poor Eric. He was still out there. He was still suffering. It was all her fault.

The darkness remained. She stood on stage alone with no one else in the room. Anastasia and the Upside Down, a place she had only ever seen in her worst nightmares. She frowned, watching as shadows appeared in front of her as placeholders where everyone else had been. It seemed as if the two realities blended together and her eyes were trying to do their best to focus on the correct one.

No one except her seemed to notice the creatures that were slowly descending down, sharp teeth prepared to rip them to shreds.

Then, the lights came back on and the crowd still watched her with mild interest as they waited for her to speak. It was just her and the crowd of Gotham's richest people. No creatures, no other reality. It made her frown, feeling herself sway as her lungs began to burn.

"If there's one thing the Waynes are good for, it's throwing half decent parties," Anastasia said, raising her champagne glass. The crowd did the same, smiling at her. She remembered her orders, hearing the woman's whispers ring in her ears. Destroy the Waynes. "Though, the Waynes aren't good for much else," she continued, swirling the champagne glass. "Trust me, I've been married to my darling Bruce for six years yet he still keeps secrets from me! Who does that to their significant other?"

The crowd exchanged looks, but kept listening.

"I'm sure he's learned that from his parents. We all know Thomas Wayne was a shitty person, right? I mean, what kind of evil person drugs an innocent woman and steals her family's land? Then, he goes and builds Wayne Tower on that same land," Anastasia's voice echoed over the speakers, causing everyone to stop what they were doing and give her their full attention. Most looked shocked, some amused, a few irritated. "I wouldn't be surprised if this manor was stolen from someone too!"

Her words caused conversations to spark. People turned to their neighbors, whispering amongst themselves. However, her vision had begun to blur as she tried to stay upright.

"Along with drugging people and locking them up in Arkham Asylum," Anastasia continued, holding onto the microphone. She stole a glance back at the band, noticing their shocked expressions. But, no one made a move to stop her from speaking. "The Waynes held human experiments in the 1960s and get this, my parents were victims! The experiments were on young children, looking for God knows what! It makes you wonder how many lives this family destroyed."

Her eyes focused on Bruce, noticing him weave through the crowd toward the stage.

"Here's Bruce," she said, barely able to stand straight as she swayed. She chuckled, tilting her head. "I think I'm in trouble, huh? Don't be surprised if you don't hear from me ever again. The Waynes have a way of making people disappear."

Bruce chuckled, giving her a playful smile. He approached, effortlessly taking the microphone out of her hands as he wrapped an arm around her waist to steady her. Everyone stared, wide-eyed. "It looks like Mrs. Wayne has had too much to drink," he said, shrugging his shoulders. His face didn't show a sign of distress, remaining calm and poised as always. He turned to look at Anastasia. "Let's get you off the stage, darling."

"Remember to donate," Anastasia added, pointing to where Laura and Regina still stood. She couldn't make out their expressions, but she could assume they mimicked everyone else's. "All proceeds will go to help those most affected by the Children of Arkham and the animal attacks. Us, Gothamites, must stick together and support one another during times like this."

Bruce began to move her, desperate to get her off the stage.

The champagne glass slipped from her hands, shattering against the floor. It echoed in the otherwise silent room, but the whispers had begun to pick up again. He faced her, prepared to scold but the words died in his throat. He immediately noticed how dark her veins appeared against her pale skin. A frown present across his features, noticing the fresh injection marks on her neck and back. Oswald must have had an accomplice. It made anger flood through his veins, glaring at the crowd as he tried to pinpoint anyone out of the ordinary. But, he recognized all the faces one way or another.

It was awkward, walking a half-conscious Anastasia toward the parlor room. She mumbled incoherently, putting most of her weight on Bruce. He continued to carry her most of the way, watching as Alfred opened the doors for him. Ducking into the room with his wife, he headed toward the couch. He laid her down by the fire, feeling how her skin burned. A whimper left her lips as her head turned from side to side, hurting from the pain.

"Ana?" he said softly, placing a gentle hand against her cheek. She didn't react to her touch, another whimper leaving her lips as she squeezed her eyes shut. "You're okay, you're okay," he whispered, pushing her hair out of her face. Her eyes remained shut, making him wonder exactly what effect the drug was having. He wondered if he should take her to the hospital. But, first, he needed to get rid of everyone in his home. "I'll be right back, my love."

Bruce walked back toward the wooden double doors, pushing them open to see the crowd had gone back to their previous conversations. But, he could see them watching him through the corner of their eyes. They were all curious, nosy. But, Bruce was determined to find out who had hurt his wife. He began to slowly walk through, making a mental note of everyone he saw. Everyone was on the list, except Oswald Cobblepot and Vicki Vale. Most of the people they had hired to help were people they regularly hired, causing him to recognize most of them too. However, no one stood out to him.

"Those were some serious allegations your wife threw around." He didn't need to turn about to know it was Vicki Vale, hearing her heels click against the marble as she approached. She turned in front of him, standing mere inches away as she looked up. Their eyes met, Bruce noticed the playful vice that lingered in hers. She wore a white gown and golden jewelry, appearing as rich as everyone else in the room. But, it wasn't something you could afford on a journalist's salary. But, her choice of clothing wasn't what bothered Bruce. It was the fact that Vicki Vale managed to find herself everywhere. At the police station, at the debate, at his home multiple times, and being able to have interviews with the Children of Arkham's leader for the Gotham Gazette. It made Bruce wonder just how good she was at her job. After all, he hadn't caught a single other reporter working as relentlessly as she did. She tilted her head, pink lips twitching upward. "Any truth to them?"

Bruce shrugged his shoulders, unsure of how to answer Vicki's question. He wasn't sure where Anastasia had come up with the human experiments' allegation, but it seemed that she knew much more than she was willing to tell him. He didn't want to believe his family could have done something so heinous, but he remembered what had happened to Charlotte Lovejoy. His wife may not remember all the details, having blocked them out. But, he remembered them as clear as day even if his own mother had tried to shield it from him. Charlotte Lovejoy had died in Wayne Manor, something his own father and William Lovejoy had orchestrated. He didn't know exactly how or what had happened, but she had entered the manor alive but left in a body bag.

It was something he didn't dare bring up to Anastasia, knowing she barely remembered a thing from her childhood. Nor could he tell her that the first time they met wasn't back in 2008, but in 1995 when they were very young and his parents were still alive. Their parents had been business partners, considering they both worked closely with Falcone. Perhaps, he had fallen in love with Anastasia long before he knew what love was. But, it saddened him that his wife no longer remembered any memories of her past or the past they shared. Though, he had only known her in childhood. After his parents had died, William and Anastasia had disappeared. He knew some of what had happened to Anastasia, the trauma she had gone through. But, he didn't see her again until 2008 and then, a year later, they had been married. That was where Anastasia's memory began, but even then she tended to be forgetful.

But, he wasn't sure how human experimentation tied into the equation. She had said that her parents had been victims, so perhaps she had found some evidence. It was possible Bruce could find more information from Alfred or in his father's things that were tucked away in the most deserted parts of the manor. But, he knew Anastasia had more information than she presented. He would need to ask her when she was lucid, but he knew she would only give him another lie.

He realized Vicki was still waiting for an answer, watching him with narrowed eyes as she sipped on her wine. But, she was a patient woman. It was a quality he had realized rather quickly about her.

Bruce cleared his throat. "Nothing surprises me about my family anymore."

"All of Gotham knows what Thomas Wayne did to Esther Cobblepot from the video at the debate, but human experiments is a new one," Vicki pointed out, crossing her arms. Her eyes lingered on his icy expression. She sighed heavily, shrugging her shoulders when she didn't receive a response. "I can spin this how you want it, Bruce, but you need to give me something to fall back on. Everything will be talking about what happened here, but Anastasia's words don't have much merit without proof."

"All you can really say is that she had too much to drink," Bruce shrugged, not falling into Vicki's words. She wanted a story, something exclusive she could share. He wasn't sure if he wanted to give her that. "My wife has a very active imagination. Human experiments sound like something she probably read in one of her books."

"Well, she's the one who has a better reputation between the two of you," Vicki hummed, taking a sip of her own drink as her eyes scoured the crowd. "After this, I'm sure Gotham will look at her through the same lens as you."

Bruce sighed. It was the last thing he wanted, considering his wife already had too much stress in her life.

"But, your wife won't be the subject of the media's attention," Vicki said, shrugging her shoulders, "if you give them something more interesting to talk about."

Bruce watched Vicki for a moment. "What are you saying?"

"Create a scene," Vicki suggested, chuckling as her eyes glinted in mischief. She looked at him, giving him an innocent smile. "Kick everyone out, call them names, throw a tantrum like a child would. Then, it'd be you who the media focuses on instead."

He cleared his throat, stepping forward to create some distance between himself and Vicki. With a few words, he was able to gain everyone's attention as he made his way toward the front. He stood at the base of the stairs, addressing his guests. "I want to thank everyone for coming out and spending the evening with us," Bruce began, having a tight grip on the champagne glass. He heard pleased greetings in return, earning smiles from his guests. However, Bruce didn't return the smile as he watched them without emotion. "But, the party's over. I want everyone to leave. Now."

No one moved, watching him with confused expressions. Normally, parties at Wayne Manor lasted till the last guest felt like leaving. After all, Bruce would let them stay while he wandered off into the Batcave. He wasn't completely sure what Anastasia did during their parties, but he knew she rarely stuck around till the end. Usually, it would be Alfred and the workers that would see them out. His eyes wandered the crowd, settling on Clarice's gaze from across the room. She had a raised brow, watching him with an unreadable expression. Next, he noticed Selina Kyle stood by Laura and Regina at the donation booth. She had been there to provide him some intel on the Children of Arkham, something he greatly appreciated. Lastly, he spotted Alfred. He was stationed by the parlor, quietly standing guard to make sure no one could get to Anastasia.

"We're done dealing with two-faced people who smile through your teeth at us. I've seen what you guys think of the Waynes... of what some of you have said about us in the papers and interviews. It's pathetic, really," Bruce scoffed, sparing glances in the direction of a few guilty individuals. He knew Gotham's elite had been quick to cut ties in the public's eye, not wanting to be brought down by the bad press. "Then, you all have the courage to come here, drink my wine, and smile at my face as if you haven't done anything wrong. I can't deal with it anymore. So, please leave. We want to be at peace."

Again, no one moved.

"What are you waiting for?" Bruce shouted, causing the people nearest to him to flinch. "Get out, now! I want everyone to leave!"

People began to shuffle toward the front door, shocked at his words and behavior. He didn't care, trying to appear worse than Anastasia's display earlier. It would be better if people only had things to say about him, considering his reputation was already at an all-time low. He tried to find Cobblepot in the crowd, but was unable to pinpoint his location. He wasn't sure what Oswald's plan was, but he wasn't about to let him get away with it. Bruce continued to monitor, remembering every face as they made their way toward the front door. Whoever had drugged Anastasia, they were watching him now. They were in the room, able to escape without a trace.

"The apple has fallen very far from the tree," Robert Zellerbach's words broke through his concentration, causing Bruce to stare as Mr. Zellerbach walked hand-in-hand with his wife, Regina. "Your parents would be disappointed in you."

Bruce continued to drink, trying to appear unbothered by the man's words. Another reason to hate the Waynes, making him feel guilty for tarnishing his parents' memory even more. But, they had done that plenty on their own with their long list of crimes. His eyes focused on Vicki's as she walked by, noticing her pleased expression. He wondered what she would write about them in the paper, hoping it wouldn't make things any worse. The gala had been thrown to raise their reputation, not make it worse. But, Bruce supposed he didn't care what Gotham thought about him. All he wanted to know was who drugged his wife, knowing the Children of Arkham had been able to infiltrate his home. Oswald Cobblepot led them here, of course. But, without proof, there wasn't much action he could take against the man just yet. Speaking of the man, he was nowhere to be found. No doubt, he had already snuck out. It was better this way. Bruce wasn't sure what he would have done if he had been given the chance to speak to Oswald.

With everyone being told to leave, the gala had ended on a sour note as everyone faced him with angered glares. He stood tall, making his way to stand outside the closed doors of the parlor. Not another word left his lips as he watched them file out the front door, finally giving the manor the silence it needed. It was empty, no one left except him, Clarice, Alfred, and Anastasia.

He walked to the middle of the room, trying to remember where Anastasia had been standing before she had been drugged. It was at the top right corner of the room, near the stage. She had been crying, pleading with him to make Oswald leave. He knew the debate had been hard on her, considering she still had nightmares every night. She had turned to drinking. And, she had thrown herself into some investigation with Laura. After all, he had caught them inches before being killed by Eric Sato. She tried to hide it from him, but Bruce had always been too observant for his own good. Still, he wished he could make things better for her. She shouldn't have been terrorized by Oswald Cobblepot in their own home. There had been a guest list, no one allowed in other than what the list permitted. Of course, Oswald Cobblepot had weaseled his way inside. So had Vicki Vale, considering she had chatted with the guests all night. He wasn't surprised about her, knowing she only wanted the inside scoop on what was going on.

Penguin, on the other hand, had a lot of nerve to show his face. Bruce frowned, trying to keep his anger under wraps as he tried to find any clues in the hall that could help him. It was Cobblepot behind the attack, but who had been the one to drug his wife. Cobblepot had been with Clarice, attempting to flirt. Bruce had only been able to say a few words to Cobblepot, telling him to leave before they had heard Anastasia on the stage. He remembered Cobblepot's expression, amused when he had heard Anastasia. He had been expecting it. He knew what was going to happen. It was likely he had accomplices, but Cobblepot was too stupid to be the mastermind behind it all. He wondered if the one who drugged Anastasia had a higher role in the Children of Arkham or were under Cobblepot. It irritated him how little he knew. He didn't want to start throwing around accusations, but he wouldn't be surprised if the COA had ties much deeper into Gotham.

He temporarily abandoned his investigation, heading down into the Batcave to retrieve a fresh needle, an empty vial, and a few other things he needed. He needed to take Anastasia's blood to study what the drug was doing to her, wondering if it was the same strand given to Sergeant Renee Montoya at the GCPD. With her infected blood, he could compare it to the clean DNA already stored in the Batcomputer. He should be able to create an antidote for her. He was worried, knowing she was already in a vulnerable state with her injuries. But, he reminded himself that his wife had been through much worse. She could easily overcome this.

A heavy sigh left his lips, running a hand across his face as he headed back upstairs. Warm light of the manor hit him, making him even more drowsy. His exhaustion was starting to set in, but he tried to ignore it. He couldn't rest, not when he was still needed. He opened the doors of the parlor, facing the three most important people to him. Alfred was by Anastasia next to the fireplace, trying to comfort her as she rambled about something in her dazed state. She barely made sense, speaking in tongues as she struggled to calm down. Gently, Alfred placed a cold wet cloth against the blonde's forehead as he reassured her over and over again that she was safe.

Bruce slowly walked over, kneeling beside his wife. Her back was turned to him, still not lucid enough to know where she was. Alfred held her tight as Bruce tied a rubber band around her upper arm to get her veins to appear more easily. He disinfected a small patch, trying to not focus on how her skin burned with a fever. He took the needle, putting it into her arm to draw the blood he needed. Anastasia took a sharp breath, but didn't react otherwise. "I'll be back," Bruce said, standing to his feet as he injected the blood into the empty vial. "I just need to get this into the Batcomputer."

"We'll be here," Clarice mumbled from her spot, letting out a small sigh as she watched Alfred and Anastasia.

He headed back down into the Batcave. The cold greeted him as the lights flickered back on, the Batcomputer always on as the multiple monitors stared back. For a moment, his eyes flickered to a framed photograph of him and Anastasia that sat on the side. They were smiling in the photo, taken two years ago during Valentine's Day. They both wore pink sweaters with hearts on them, something he didn't mind wearing since it put a bright smile on his wife's face. He sighed, wondering where the time had gone.

Bruce took a seat, pulling up Anastasia's information. Her clean DNA code was lined up on the screen, reflecting information back to him. He unscrewed the top of the vial, placing it into one of the panels of the dashboard. The Batcomputer began to analyze Anastasia's blood, building the infected DNA on the screen. He frowned, looking over the data. Immediately, he had been able to isolate the drug's chemical make-up and had begun the process of creating an antidote. It didn't fully match the drug given to Sergeant Renee Montoya, having a few differences. He wondered if the COA were still trying to perfect the drug, considering it had been all too easy to isolate the drug. But, it worked in his favor. Still, it would take some time before the antidote was ready. He looked down at his phone, relaying the same information as the Batcomputer.

He sighed again, standing to his feet as he looked around the Batcave. His eyes lingered on the cryogenic chamber set up across the cave, watching as it glowed a slight blue. He made his way over, passing the Batmobile that sat quietly. The Batcave was too quiet, each step echoed throughout. He stopped next to the chamber, peering inside at the sleeping man. His vitals were still strong, unbothered by the freezing temperatures. It was Eric Sato, infected with something unworldly. The Batcomputer had yet to figure out what his infection was, but Bruce knew the man didn't have much time. The cryogenic chamber had slowed down the infection, keeping it from getting worse. But, Bruce knew he couldn't keep him in there forever.

"Still working on that cure, Eric," Bruce mumbled, mostly to himself since the man inside the chamber couldn't hear him.

He knew his wife was friends with him, not knowing how their paths had crossed. But, he could only assume it was because Eric worked in I.T. at Wayne Enterprises. He was on "vacation" at the moment. Bruce had been able to catch up to him that same night, stopping him from ripping into a man. He was unrecognizable with the strange stems growing out of his head and body. It was unlike anything Bruce had ever seen before, wondering if there was a chance the infection was from somewhere else not on Earth. But, that seemed unlikely. He wasn't sure what to make of it, another mystery that needed to be solved.

Bruce headed back upstairs, wanting to check up on Anastasia. He peeked inside the parlor, noticing that Anastasia was somewhat more lucid than before as she sobbed against Alfred. She clung onto the older man, crying into his chest. It pained him to see her that way, feeling a tug at his heart. It was the drug still having a hold, making him wish the Batcomputer could work faster.

He tried to approach Anastasia, wanting to take over for Alfred. But, the moment he locked eyes with her, something changed in her demeanor. A scream left her lips, causing him to frown as he stopped in his tracks. She clung onto Alfred, pointing a trembling finger in his direction. "Please, keep him away!" Anastasia pleaded with Alfred, sobbing in his arms. "He's going to hurt me!"

Alfred frowned, caressing Anastasia's hair as he tried to provide her comfort. He looked over at Bruce, confused.

Bruce tried to approach again. But, immediately stopped when another terrified scream left her lips. It caused a shaky breath to leave his lips, watching her with wide eyes. He had never seen her like that before. She had been scared before, of course, but she had never been scared of him. She continued to cry, hurting Bruce in ways he was not used to.

"Get away from her, Bruce," Clarice scolded, glaring at him as she crossed her arms. "Can't you see that you're scaring her?"

"Why is she scared of me?" Bruce asked softly, stumbling backward to create distance. He wanted to help but it appeared he was causing more harm than good.

"It's alright, Ana," Alfred cooed softly, rubbing her back as she buried her face in his chest. She looked like a child, clinging to a parent. The drug must be causing her to hallucinate. He wondered if Anastasia was seeing Alfred or someone else. He listened to her words, hearing her call Alfred her father. It upset Bruce to hear Anastasia still call out to her father. After everything he had put her through, she couldn't see him as a person of comfort. But, Bruce reminded himself that Anastasia didn't remember how vile her father had been. She didn't remember how he had hurt her and almost killed her. Alfred wiped away Anastasia's tears, giving her a warm smile. "No one is going to hurt you, I promise."

His sister, Clarice, was quiet. She stood by the pool table, leaning against it as she stared off into space. Her hands played with the bracelet around her wrist. He approached her, causing her to look up at him again. She offered a sympathetic smile. "I told you that a party was a bad idea."

"I didn't expect that to happen," Bruce said softly, watching Alfred and Anastasia. Her hands trembled nonstop, but Alfred tried his best to calm her down. If only the Batcomputer could work faster, but the timer on his phone said it would take another forty minutes. He looked at Clarice. "Are you up for a little detective work?"

A chuckle left the older woman's lips as she nodded. "Always."

Bruce closed the parlor doors behind him, letting out a heavy sigh as he faced his sister. His eyes trailed to her right hand, noticing how red the skin had gotten. "How are your knuckles?"

Clarice's lips twitched upward. "I'm sure my hand hurts less than Cobblepot's busted lip."

He wished it had been him to punch Oswald, knowing how much he wanted to hurt him. "Oswald had an accomplice," Bruce mentioned, looking around the hall. It was still a mess, considering all of the work staff had left too. The stage was still set up, instruments still there. He frowned, eyes scanning for anything that looked out of place. "I can't work it out."

"Well, first, we should rule out who it wasn't," Clarice mentioned, standing beside him as she looked around the room. She hummed, mind whirling with possibilities. "I was with Cobblepot, so it can't be him. If he was smart, he would have made sure his accomplice was already here. It wouldn't work in his favor if they were caught together."

Bruce hummed, nodding his head. He knew most of the people at the party, but there were still newcomers he didn't recognize. "I... I have been suspicious of Laura," Bruce mentioned, shrugging his shoulders. "She's been too close to Ana these days."

"Her assistant? No, I don't think so," Clarice mumbled, pointing toward the small table set up in one of the corners. "She was keeping track of donations all night. And, she returned Ana's expensive diamond necklace before leaving. I don't think that classifies as evil behavior."

"Aren't you the most distrusting person?" Bruce chuckled, making his way to the table. His hand hovered over the notebook, opening it to see Laura and Regina's handwriting all over the page. It was handwriting he recognized from the office.

"It's good to not trust every single person you come across," Clarice smiled, shrugging her shoulders. Both she and Bruce struggled to find people they trusted, but they kept the ones they did close. "So, it should mean something when I say it isn't Laura."

"So," Bruce mumbled, drumming his fingers against the table. "Who do you think it was?"

"You hired a lot of people," Clarice mumbled, crossing her arms. Her dark eyes roamed the hall, studying as she mapped out where everyone was. Her red lips set in a frown, deep in thought. "It's too easy for anyone to sneak in, Bruce. I think it was one of the workers, easy to be bribed if they weren't already working with the Children of Arkham."

"I have a list of all the names," Bruce pointed out, pulling out his phone as he looked at the guest list and the list of employees Alfred had hired. He looked at where he and Anastasia were standing. He tried to remember who was close to them, but all he could focus on was Anastasia's tears and how he wanted to help her. "She was drugged right after I walked off."

"I watched you approach," Clarice said, taking a few steps back close to where she was standing. She tried to visualize the scene, facing Bruce. For a moment, she was quiet as she stared. "I recall the faces of the people around you. The accomplice was close to Anastasia's height, hidden behind her. I can't see them."

"Do you remember if it was a man or a woman?"

"No, I can't see them at all," Clarice mumbled, shaking her head. His sister had an eidetic memory, being able to recall the tiniest details. It was something that had always come in handy in her line of work.

"Okay, then we cross off the people that you do remember seeing," Bruce suggested, deciding it was good to cross people off the list too. It would narrow down the search.

"Laura, Regina, Selina, they were off to the side," Clarice said, glancing back at the donation table. Bruce remembered seeing them too, deciding all three of them were innocent. "Well, Oswald was beside me. I know the band isn't to blame. They were all playing music."

She walked back to where she was standing before Anastasia's speech, leaning against the pillar. She frowned, letting out a heavy sigh. "I was focused on you approaching. You blocked out a lot of people."

"It's too bad Oswald sneaked away before we could question him," Bruce huffed, shaking his head. He could have gotten a lot of information out of Oswald, especially about the Children of Arkham and their leader.

"I should have aimed higher and broken his nose," Clarice chuckled, looking over bruised knuckles in pride. "He's brave, thinking he can walk into your home after almost murdering your wife."

"He doesn't realize how much we know about him," Bruce muttered, crossing his arms. But, it made him realize that Anastasia did know that Oswald had been the shooter at the debate. Or else, she wouldn't have begged him to make Oswald leave. But, she hadn't said a word about it. It was another secret she was hiding from him, making him wonder when she had started lying to him. It was becoming more difficult to figure out her lies. "The moment I get my hands on Cobblepot."

"What happened to your no-kill rule?" Clarice asked, raising a brow.

Bruce sighed, facing his older sister. "I'm not going to kill him," he muttered, knowing he couldn't bring himself to kill Cobblepot. He wanted to hurt him, yes. But, he knew that he had to practice self-control. He couldn't allow himself to lose himself in his anger. It would be the end of Batman if that happened. "I want justice for Anastasia. You don't know what it was like, Clarice. I thought... I thought she was going to die. In my arms, she would have died without knowing the truth."

"I know what it's like, Bruce," Clarice whispered, letting out a heavy sigh as her eyes lingered elsewhere. She fiddled with her hands, unsure of what to say as forced herself to look at him. "I'm sorry you had to go through that and what you're... still going through."

"It's okay, Clarice," Bruce said, nodding his head. He shoved his hands into his pockets, trying to push his emotions to the side. "Let's just focus on figuring this out."

They began to look around, trying to map out where everyone had been. But, there were close to one hundred and fifty people at the event which included the workers. Too many suspects. And, if Oswald had been able to sneak in then others could have as well. It took them some time to compile a list of people who they ruled out as suspects. There were still a few people they still suspected, but it was still unlikely it had been one of them.

"I don't think there's much we can go off of here, Bruce," Clarice sighed, facing his angered expression. She smiled, clasping her hands together. "If only you had cameras set up, then we could have seen exactly who drugged Ana."

"I wonder if someone else saw anything," Bruce said, wondering if he could call up the first few people on the list and ask if they had seen anyone near Anastasia. Someone must have seen something.

"Well, I doubt they'll want to help after how you kicked them all out," Clarice teased, chuckling. It was off-putting to have talked to his guests that way, considering it was something he had never done before. Bruce Wayne was the perfect man to Gotham. He was always calm, collected, and lived the perfect life. But, that was far from the truth.

"I can't believe this," Bruce muttered, shaking his head as he pinched the bridge of his nose. He felt guilty, wondering why he couldn't protect Anastasia. It was as if the universe had it out for her, no matter what he did. His attempts to keep her safe and protected would all be thwarted by some outside force. "In our home of all places, it happened. I don't want Anastasia to feel scared here. It's the one place that is supposed to be safe. It's our home."

"Hey, at least, she's okay now," Clarice reassured, hesitating at first but she eventually placed a hand on his shoulder. She sighed softly, trying to give him a warm smile. "It could have been a lot worse, alright? Anastasia is safe and alive. You're doing a great job, the best you can."

Bruce tried to find solace in her words, but the guilt worked stronger. "It should have never happened at all."

It was quiet between the two of them, neither of them knew how to keep the conversation going. But, it was peaceful to settle into the silence of the manor. It made him remember moments of their childhood, what little time they had spent together. It had all been taken away by their families and the secrets they held. The Waynes and Abbotts had histories no one truly knew.

"I'm leaving Gotham, Bruce."

It made Bruce pause, pulling himself out of his thoughts as he faced Clarice. "What?"

She sighed, pulling away from him as she crossed her arms around herself. Her back turned to him, facing the empty hall instead. "I'm leaving Gotham."

"Why?"

"I think you know why," Clarice mumbled. "It's not safe here anymore and with Harvey... I just need some space. Especially for..." She placed a hand on her stomach.

It was the truth. Gotham wasn't safe, not for anyone. It was something he learned when his parents had been shot dead. It was the reason why he had become Batman. He wanted to protect others from the same fate his parents had suffered. So, it made sense why Clarice wanted to leave Gotham, especially to protect her own life and the life of her unborn child. "I understand," Bruce said, nodding his head. "It'll be safer anywhere else for you and the baby."

"Yeah..." Clarice sighed, shrugging her shoulders. "My only reason for not wanting to leave is... you. There's so much you're dealing with and you're doing it all on your own."

"I'll be fine," Bruce reassured, giving her a forced smile. "Always am."

"You should tell Ana," Clarice pointed out, hitting his shoulder as she chuckled. It made Bruce sigh, knowing that was what everyone told him. It was something Alfred and Selina had already told him, now Clarice. He knew he had to tell Anastasia, but the timing was never right. He didn't want to add any stress into her life. "It'll take a weight off your shoulders, trust me."

Bruce nodded. "Yeah, I'll tell her one of these days. Hopefully, once all this mess dies down."

"You'll get the Children of Arkham," Clarice said. "I'm sure of it. Batman never fails."

Bruce smiled, shrugging his shoulders. "So, when are you leaving?"

"Tonight," Clarice replied, causing Bruce's shoulders to drop. It was sooner than he expected, but he knew it was for the best. "I already have everything packed. Alfred knows, too."

Bruce nodded. He was about to respond, ask where Clarice was planning to go. But, his phone began to beep. He pulled it out of his back pocket, looking at the timer that was going off. "The antidote is ready."

He headed downstairs. The Batcomputer blinked at him, telling him that the antidote was prepared. He pressed a few buttons, watching as the panel opened and revealed a blue liquid. It was pale in color, barely a step-up from a clear color. Holding it close, he headed back upstairs. He gave Clarice a numb smile as he passed by, noticing she was texting someone on her phone. He opened the parlor door, noticing Alfred had managed to lull Anastasia to sleep. Her head rested on a pillow as Alfred gently stroked her hair.

"It took some time, but I managed to calm her down," Alfred said quietly, watching as Bruce kneeled beside them. He helped Bruce, cleaning another small patch of her skin to prepare it for the injection. Her veins were still a dark color, appearing angry against her skin.

Bruce pulled enough of the antidote into the syringe, watching the liquid settle in the needle. He injected it into Anastasia's arm, listening to the soft whimper that left her lips. But, she didn't wake up. They watched as the antidote worked fast, causing her veins to return to a normal color. It caused a relieved sigh to leave Bruce's lips as he set the needle down on the side table. It had been too long of a night.

"I'll put her to bed," Bruce said softly, effortlessly pulling Anastasia into his arms. Her oxygen tank on the side. Fortunately, she had been slowly getting stronger every day. There were a few hours where she didn't use it, trying to get used to normal breathing again. But, it was still recommended she wear it at night to avoid complications. He looked at Alfred. "Can you bring the tank upstairs in a little bit?"

"Of course, Master Bruce," Alfred nodded his head, standing to his feet. He headed to the oxygen tank, checking to see if it needed to be replaced yet.

Bruce carried Anastasia out, listening to her soft breaths as her head rested on his shoulder. He carried her upstairs, opening the door to their bedroom. It was warm in there, the heat still on. He laid her down on their bed, looking over her pained expression. She was still in pain, adding to Bruce's guilt. He sighed, gently taking off her earrings and necklace. He moved to the vanity table, setting it down with the rest of her jewelry.

However, something caught his eyes. He looked at the flash drive set on top of the table, picking it up to examine it. It was Anastasia's, something she was holding when he had come into the room to collect them for the party. Curiosity began to set in, wondering what was on it. Bruce slipped the flash drive into his pocket before he returned to Anastasia.

Next, he took off her heels before he set them down by the side of the bed. Her dress didn't look too uncomfortable, so he decided to leave it. To take it off, he would have to wake her up and that was the last thing he wanted to do. Slowly, he placed the sheets over her before he began to tuck her in. A gentle hand pushed back her blonde hair, placing a kiss against her forehead.

Again, his guilt made its presence known. He should have been there to protect her, but again someone had been able to sneak past and hurt her. It could have been much worse, someone could have killed her. He could only hope the drug wouldn't leave any lasting effects.

"B-Bruce?"

He left out a breath, facing her half-lidded eyes as she struggled to focus on him. He took her outreached hand, holding it close. "I'm here, Ana."

"What... What happened...?"

"It's alright, don't worry about it," Bruce whispered, placing a gentle kiss against the top of her hand. "Try to rest, darling."

He wasn't sure if she had processed his words, watching as her eyes began to drop. He watched her closely, counting the seconds before she had fallen back asleep. She was safe and alive. He reminded himself over and over again. Yet, he had spent the rest of his night watching over her to make sure no one could hurt her again.

IT TOOK ME A LOT LONGER TO GET THIS UPDATE OUT than I would have liked, but here it is! It is still mostly unedited and honestly, it's okay! If I catch any mistakes later, I can always go back and fix them. I think this is my longest chapter now because it is over 12,000 words! I kind of like these long chapters because then I can get a lot of information in, but I still feel like this chapter is missing something. But, I'm not sure what so here's the chapter!

I hope you guys liked it! I suspected two more chapters before the tone of the book takes a turn! I am so excited because I think we've hit the halfway mark of act one! It's going to be a lot more action coming up because most of the new chapters will feature a lot more of Batman's side of the story. Speaking about Batman, I think it's getting very easy to slip into Bruce's POV for me now! I still think writing his character is very hard, but it's more fun than stressful for me now!

I feel like with Bruce's POV, we see more of the truth and what exactly happened in the past. Unlike Anastasia who can't remember correctly, Bruce knows almost everything. He remembers the past how it was, so it's fun to slip in some information here and there! ALSO, WE FINALLY KNOW WHERE ERIC IS! Bruce has him in this cryogenic chamber to slow down the rate of the infection, hehe. If only Anastasia knew, poor gal is still out looking for him.

Next chapter, we'll get a look into Arkham Asylum! It will be another team-up chapter between Anastasia and Laura! I am so excited to write it because it reminds me of Nancy and Robin in season 4 of Stranger Things! I feel like their dynamic is very very similar to them. Also, I have decided that I am going to pair Laura up with Selina! So, expect a Selina Kyle fic to come out soon! Of course, it won't completely tie into this book since the arcs will be different! But, it will still have all the same characters and Anastasia should make an appearance there too! And, my other DC characters too!

WE ALSO GOT TO SEE MORE OF CLARICE AHHH. I love her character so much and I am still so honored to have her included in this book! Who knows where Bruce would be without his big sister?? To see more of Clarice, please go check out Ripley's [ ptolomeae ] books! Her writing, plots, characters, and literally everything else is incredible! So, go show her all your love and support!

Hopefully, the next chapter will be out soon! I hope to get the chapter out sometime in October, considering the upcoming chapters are a bit spooky! But, we'll see since work and life has been very crazy these days! I have been so stressed and just feeling sad lately. But, working on it! Writing and video games are always the best distractions hehe.

AMARA.
[ CHAPTER PUBLISHED ━━ 09.30.2022 ]

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro