[ 30 ] the villain she appears to be

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS
xxx. THE VILLAIN SHE APPEARS TO BE
❝IT ENDS THE WAY IT ENDS.❞

THE SWEET MOMENT BETWEEN THE TWO OF THEM HAD BEEN BRIEF, being ruined by the haunting circumstances of their situation. Over the years together, Bruce Wayne had learned almost everything he needed to know about his wife Anastasia. He knew her likes, dislikes (especially her strong aversion to mushrooms), what made her burst into endless laughter, what made her sob, the littlest details of her bright personality, everything. But, something was different with his Anastasia. He could tell, quite easily from a glance at the empty expression that lingered on her face. He could feel a familiar dread begin to brew in his chest, noticing how quiet she was as she remained somewhere far away. He understood during the short ferry ride back to the mainland, considering he had been preoccupied in a conversation with Lieutenant Jim Gordon, Detective Rafe Gideon and Mayor Harvey Dent. But, he had watched Anastasia the whole time from the corner of his eyes.

She had stood several feet from them, leaning against the metal railing of the boat as she watched the glowing lights of Gotham come closer and closer. It resembled a scene from a ghost story, a blanket of fog covering the city as the light fought to make its way through. The rain was relentless, beating down on them as it drenched through their clothing. Still, Anastasia kept his coat wrapped tightly around her as she shivered. He had called out to her, asking her to come stand by him so he may attempt to warm her up. But, it was as if she had not heard him. She continued to stare out, trapped within her own mind.

Even when the two of them had reached his car, she had refused to say a word. Bruce had said his goodbyes to the officers and Harvey, receiving a notarized note that stated why he was out after Gotham's strict curfew and Anastasia's negative test results. If only she was truly cured, but Bruce was determined now more than ever to find a cure for the otherworldly virus. He had to save his wife; he couldn't allow her to die. The past two weeks had been spent in agony, something only Bruce knew as his heart broke every day as he searched endlessly for Anastasia. He couldn't spend the rest of his life without her presence. But even with her sitting beside him, it felt as if she was not there.

Bruce spared a glance in her direction as he drove down the empty streets of Gotham, seeing only a few citizens brave enough to break curfew. Most of the people out late at night were ones that Batman would be accustomed to seeing, but the military presence worked to reduce crime. It allowed Bruce to focus his energy on other matters, such as researching a cure and tracking down the Children of Arkham. He had been unsuccessful in both, but having Anastasia by his side gave him some hope. She was leaned back in her seat, staring out the window as she took slow breaths. He wasn't sure how to start up a conversation, watching as rainwater dripped from her hair and onto the seat. A soft barely audible sigh left his lips.

"It's been raining every day for the past week," Anastasia quietly commented, words Bruce almost missed from how loud the pelting rain was against the vehicle. The sound of her voice caused instant relief to overwhelm Bruce; he had been waiting to hear her voice again. Even if it was a comment about the weather, something people only spoke about when they had nothing else to say.

He nodded, turning to look in her direction with a warm smile as they stopped at a red light. "It has."

However, she wasn't looking at him. Instead, her features were illuminated by a flickering neon sign from a diner on the street, Over Easy. Anastasia recognized it too, digging her nails into the palm of her hands. It was the diner that Erina Sato worked at as a cover, spending her days there as if she didn't spend her nights hunting down whoever Carmine Falcone pointed a finger to. But, the man was dead ━━ something that felt as if it had happened ages ago. But in reality, it had only been a little over two months. So much had happened in those months, Bruce wished he could have protected Anastasia. He still wanted to protect her, shield her from the world and make sure nothing could ever harm her again. It was a vow he was willing to do anything to uphold, anything if it meant she was safe.

"I'm surprised it hasn't snowed yet," she continued, pretending as if the sight of the diner hadn't brought back memories. Bruce wanted to push, ask her about everything that had happened with Eric and Erina Sato. He knew the story, having heard it from Erina's side. But, he wanted to hear it from Anastasia. He wanted his wife to be open and honest with him, but he understood why it was difficult. After all, he hadn't shown her the same courtesy and quite frankly, he was afraid to. He wasn't prepared for the possibility that Anastasia might leave him, give up on them. So, he gave her the same patience to reveal her secrets when she was ready to. From the corner of his eyes, he could see her picking at the skin around her nails. It made him frown, but he didn't say anything yet. He feared she might shut him out. "It's only a few more weeks till we hit December. It was snowing already around this time last year."

"And, your favorite holiday is coming up," Bruce reminded, hoping to spark some excitement in his wife. She loved Christmas, even if she was the furthest thing from religious. The manor would be lit up in bright decorations, covering every corner of their home. Lights would be strung up outside, Santa and his reindeer would be on the roof, and a massive Christmas tree in the middle of their grand hall. She would make all of them dress in matching Christmas pajamas, dedicating the whole month to the holiday. Even the hotels, she would make sure to include every holiday in some form during the season. It was the childish glee that he loved seeing in Anastasia, knowing it wasn't something she was allowed in her childhood. He smiled, facing her for a brief moment as he began to make his way down the street again. It wouldn't be long till they reached Robert Kane Memorial Bridge that would lead them out of Gotham and on the path to Wayne Manor. "Are you excited for the holidays? I'm sure you have a lot of plans to━━"

Anastasia shrugged numbly, causing his words to dissipate on his tongue. She still kept her eyes focused outside, watching the buildings pass by as she continued to avoid his gaze. "I think we should pass on the celebrations this year, Bruce," she suggested, sniffling as she shivered again. Her wet clothing were no doubt uncomfortable, even Bruce was itching to get home to change into something dry. "And, it's not like the Waynes are in good-standing with Gotham. They hate us. I'd rather we disappear into the background and do nothing for once."

"Of course, whatever you think is best, Ana," Bruce said softly, turning up the heat to make sure she was warm enough. She didn't complain, but he didn't want to leave anything to chance. He wanted to cater to her every need and desire, wanting to make sure she was comfortable. He forced a smile to his lips, trying to catch her fleeting gaze. "Let me know if you're warm enough."

She hummed in response, nodding her head. Pulling the coat closer to herself, she let out a soft sigh as the heaters blasted hot air in their direction. The seats, themselves, were heated and he hoped they were working to dry their clothes. He didn't want her to catch a cold, terrified it might make her condition worse. It was as if he could see the gears turning in his wife's mind, seeing the small frown that lingered on her features. She studied the empty streets, seeing no cars, no people, just desolation as the street lights illuminated their path. It seemed to make her nervous, causing Bruce to adopt the same emotions.

"Where is everyone?" Anastasia asked.

"There's a curfew at midnight," Bruce informed, remembering the outrage it caused when the mandate was put out about two weeks ago. Most of the citizens protested it, but once Infected attacks became more frequent, people tended to hide in their homes when the sun set. Only a few were brave enough to remain outside, but even they would run for cover if they came across an Infected. "A lot of strict new laws were passed by Mayor Dent and enforced by the privately-hired militia. There's a hefty fine if you're caught out at night."

"It's better than getting ripped apart by a pack of Infected," Anastasia muttered, subconsciously running her hand over her sleeved arm. He noticed, wondering if she had more scars hidden from him. He had seen a few when she had revealed them to Batman during the interrogation, tugging at his heart as he tried not to think of the pain she must have gone through to receive them. Bruce wanted to take her pain away, but he didn't know how. She let out a soft breath. "The Infected... the creatures... They like the dark, it's the only time they can come out."

"I know it might be too soon to ask, Ana, but..." Bruce started off slowly, sighing. His grip tightened around the steering wheel, thinking of the best approach. He was used to interrogating criminals and having them easily tell him all their secrets, but Anastasia didn't fall victim to any interrogation techniques. Even at the station, every approach they had taken resulted in an undesirable outcome. He needed to be careful. He needed to be Bruce, the loving husband, who Anastasia would hopefully open up to. "What happened to you, darling? Where were you those two weeks?"

Her expression didn't change, remaining numb to his question. She shook her head. "I don't want to talk about it."

Bruce nodded, not wanting to push. He wanted Anastasia to come to him when she was ready, no matter how long it took. She had told them the story about the other world, but he wanted to hear the truth. But, a part of him believed that Anastasia didn't remember the truth and her mind had concocted a fake reality to help her cope. It wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. "Okay, whenever you're ready," he whispered, sparing another glance in her direction. "I'm here for you, Ana, always."

"I know," she said simply. Her hands fiddled with the buttons on the coat, tugging at them but not hard enough to rip them off. Bruce frowned, noticing all the bruises that surrounded the needle marks in her skin. It looked painful, but she didn't show it.

"Do you want to talk about what happened in Arkham?" Bruce suggested instead, wanting to get as much information out of Anastasia as he could ━━ as much as she was willing to share. He had been under the impression that the doctors in Arkham were doing their best to care for all infected. If he had known the truth, he would have gotten Anastasia out of the asylum long ago, even if he had to be Batman to do so. "You... You looked terrified, Ana. You said they were going to kill you?"

"I may have over exaggerated a little bit," Anastasia confessed, shrugging her shoulders as her lips tugged upward into a smug smile. But, it disappeared as quickly as it had come. A permanent frown seemed to embed itself into Anastasia's features, something that saddened Bruce. His Anastasia was always smiling, the one thing that Bruce craved more than anything. "I... I couldn't stay there for any longer, Bruce. Doctor Hugo Strange, one of the doctors running the whole operation, began to ask things of me. Things I couldn't do, but he was convinced I could."

Bruce frowned, clearly bothered by her words. He had looked into Doctor Strange, seeing a glowing career put forth by Arkham Asylum. But, as Batman, he had learned how to look deeper and found the horrific experiments and cases the doctor was tied to. It was all he was prepared to show to get Anastasia out of Arkham, considering he was willing to blackmail to get what he wanted. But, Harvey had a change of heart and decided to help. All for a friend, had been his reasoning. Still, there wasn't anyone that Bruce trusted ━━ only having his faith in Anastasia and Alfred.

They stopped at another red light, allowing Bruce to get another closer look at his wife. She looked tired, almost as if she hadn't had a decent night's rest in months. Her eyes were glazed over, either deep in thought or on the verge of tears. Bruce frowned, thinking about what she had said. "What do you mean, Ana?"

She debated within herself to tell him the truth, Bruce could tell from the expression on her face. He waited patiently for her reply, hoping she would tell him the truth instead of fabricating a story. "Well," she began, clasping her hands together. And, for the first time since they had gotten into the car, Anastasia looked at him. Her eyes were still bright, a vibrant shade of green. But, a sadness lingered in them. "Do you remember the experiments that I mentioned during the charity gala? The ones I claimed were organized by the Waynes and Arkhams?"

"It does ring a bell━━"

"I know you looked through the flashdrive, Bruce," Anastasia pointed out, scoffing at his attempt to remain oblivious. He had looked through the flashdrive and all the documents it held, almost memorizing everything there was. Of course, there had been a lot of information that remained redacted and he hoped Anastasia would fill in the blanks of his knowledge. "My parents were a part of that experiment, basically the sole reason for it. My mother had... abilities... that they couldn't explain, but ones that they wanted for themselves. My father was one of the test subjects, being able to adopt some of the abilities my mother was born with. And, since I am their daughter, Doctor Strange believes I may have the same abilities as them."

"What kind of abilities?" Bruce asked. It was something the documents didn't reveal, having all the information about what Charlotte, Patient Zero, could do redacted with thick black stripes. However, he was curious as to what it claimed she could do. After all, he knew what William Lovejoy could do and that man had been dangerous. If his abilities were a lesser version of Charlotte's, he could only begin to imagine what she could do.

Anastasia shrugged. "I don't know."

It was a lie, Bruce could tell.

"All I know is that they claimed my mother's blood was special... enhanced... in a sci-fi bullshit kind of way," Anastasia continued, revealing more to him as he quietly took mental notes of everything she said. Though, he knew there was more to the story than some 'sci-fi bullshit' as she claimed. "So, basically, the experiments were taking her enhanced blood and creating it into a serum that would allow others to share the same abilities."

Bruce listened, deep in thought as some of the blanks in his knowledge were filled. It would explain why the Waynes and Arkhams would have funded such an experiment, considering supernatural abilities would give them even more power than they already had. But, it was difficult to believe that such abilities existed and he would not have believed if he hadn't seen what William Lovejoy could do. In fact, he had seen his wife harbor such abilities once, just once, the day William had tried to kill her five years ago. However, the incident had destroyed most of her memories and Bruce knew she didn't remember. And, he had no intention of reminding her of the horrors that her life contained. Instead, he tried to focus on the present.

"And, that is what they were trying to do with you?" Bruce asked gently, almost fearing her response.

Anastasia shook her head, much to his relief. It was the last thing they needed, considering the repercussions would be one they couldn't handle with everything else that was going on. "I don't think so..." she verbally confirmed, sighing. Her eyes flickered down to her hands, staring at the needle marks. "They did take samples of my blood a few times, but they always said it was for testing."

"Okay, I'll do a follow-up," Bruce muttered, making a mental note on his to-do list to reach out to the doctors again. He wanted a detailed list of everything that had happened to Anastasia ━━ every medication they had administered, everything she ate and drank, every person she talked to and every illegal experiment. He somewhat had faith in Doctor Arthur Radcliffe, considering the man had helped Anastasia in her escape. "I'll find out if they did anything without you knowing."

"In that case," Anastasia began, sighing once again as she pulled up her sleeve to reveal even more needle marks and bruises that stained her pale skin. The street lights illuminated her skin, making her wince at how they appeared. It made him frown, taking a shaky breath as he waited for her to speak. "They've been injecting me with the serum they created from my mother's blood, saying it should elevate whatever abilities I already have."

Bruce looked at her, mouth slightly agape as his anger toward the doctors returned tenfold. However, he tried to keep his emotions under control as he feared upsetting Anastasia. "Do you feel any different?"

She clicked her tongue, shaking her head. "Nope."

Bruce nodded, deciding that was a good outcome. The serum, after so many years, must be ineffective and probably did nothing to Anastasia, at least he hoped. "So..." he continued slowly, letting out a breath. "What else did they do?"

Something in Anastasia's mood changed, dampening as she returned her gaze out the window. They had to travel almost throughout the whole of Gotham, heading to the other side that would lead them to the bridge they needed to take to leave the city. They had just passed Wayne Tower and the Anastasia Hotel, earning a pointed look from his wife. He knew his wife was a workaholic, using it as a way to distract her mind. But, he wouldn't let her return to work any time soon. She needed to heal, be cured of the virus before she was legally allowed to leave the house. On paper, she was cured. But, he knew the truth and so did Harvey. His kindness had limits. She was to stay in Wayne Manor until she died, that was what Harvey had told him. But, Bruce wouldn't allow Anastasia to die. He would do whatever it took to save her, over and over again.

"The first experiment they performed was this sensory-deprivation tank," Anastasia informed, remembering the first time she had entered the tank with icy salt-water and the strange device they had put around her head to send electric currents into her mind to jumpstart her memory. Over time, she had gotten used to how cold it was and had slowly begun to find comfort in the darkness again. "It was meant to put me in a trance, find memories my mind was supposedly hiding, such as what happened during those missing two weeks."

Bruce had never been told of the experiment, making him frown. He had visited Arkham every single day, collecting updates from the receptionist as Anastasia refused to see him over and over again. Then, he had resorted to visiting as Batman to make sure she was still alive. But even then, it was difficult to know everything that was going on behind closed doors. "Did you remember anything?"

"Nothing I didn't already remember," Anastasia muttered, rolling her eyes. Her jaw clenched, clearly still angry toward the doctors and Bruce shared the sentiment. "The only memory I was able to see was the first time I met Laura all those years ago, an interview for the job position."

"I see..." Bruce mumbled, nodding.

"But, that didn't stop them from continuously putting me back into the tank as they zapped my brain over and over again," Anastasia scoffed, looking down at their intertwined hands. She didn't attempt to remove his hand, holding a tight grip on it instead. "God, the fucking assholes kept me in there for hours at a time. I'm surprised that I didn't die from hypothermia."

"It's the virus," Bruce blurted out, earning a look from Anastasia. He cleared his throat, trying to think of an explanation as he kept his eyes on the road. "Lieutenant Gordon informed me that you broke your hand during the interrogation to get out of the handcuffs, but then your hand healed within the duration of the conversation. It's the virus, attempting to strengthen everything there is for when..."

Bruce couldn't finish that thought, but Anastasia knew what he was going to say. It was then, she pulled her hand out of his grasp and Bruce returned his free hand to the steering wheel. "For when I turn into a vicious monster," she finished, letting out a dry chuckle. "I know, Bruce. I've seen all the stages of the Infected. I... I know what's coming."

"Ana..."

She shook her head, silencing him before he could speak any further. "I think they were able to keep me alive longer than I should have been," she confessed, remembering how sick she had gotten before they had started to administer the serum. A heavy sigh left her lips, biting her lip. "I didn't care what happened to me. I just wanted to find Laura and I was willing to do anything."

"I understand━━"

"No, I don't think you do, Bruce. They tricked me into thinking they cared about finding Laura," Anastasia whispered, digging her sharp nails into the tender skin of her palm as her bottom lip quivered. He could see the tears that welled in her eyes, causing a soft sigh to leave his lips. Bruce reached out again, wanting to take her hand but she refused. A part of him wanted to pull over to comfort her, but they wouldn't be safe until they were back home. He kept driving, silently telling her it was okay to take her time. "I only agreed to their experiments because I thought it would help find Laura."

"It wasn't your fault, Ana," Bruce said softly, bringing her hand to his lips to give it a gentle kiss. He was mindful to avoid the bruises, not wanting to hurt her any further. "They took advantage of your situation, your emotions, and your vulnerability. You are not to blame."

"But, I am, Bruce," Anastasia sighed, shaking her head. Her voice was so quiet, dying in her throat as she struggled to keep the tears from falling. He had an inkling they weren't talking about the experiments anymore. He could feel the immense guilt that radiated off her, knowing she blamed herself for what happened to Laura too. "If only I could turn back time, I would... I would have never let anyone into my life."

"Ana, don't say that," he said softly, facing her for a brief moment before he looked back at the road. "Look, we'll get through this. I promise we will."

"How? The doctors didn't have a cure, nor do you, Bruce," Anastasia scoffed, leaning back in the seat. Something flashed across her features, causing her to frown as a blank expression quickly took over as she stared ahead. "I'm living on borrowed time, both of us know that. I have been for a long time."

Bruce frowned, keeping his eyes on the road as he began to drive just a bit faster to reach their destination. He didn't want Anastasia to tangle herself with the past, not after everything that had happened before. It was the last thing she needed, knowing it would push her down a path she could never recover from. The past wasn't something he wanted to think about, knowing how hard it had been to overcome it. And, he knew the only reason that Anastasia did was because she had no recollection of it. It seemed as if she was studying his reaction to her words, so Bruce tried his best to not let his thoughts show on his face.

However, her eyes narrowed instead as hurt flashed across her features. "You believe me, right?"

"Of course, I do," Bruce immediately said, shaking his head as he met her eyes. She had taken the defensive route rather quickly, no doubt because of all the people who told her that her experiences weren't real and a byproduct of her traumatized mind. He reached out with his right hand, curling it around her thigh as he gave it a soft squeeze. "Ana, I'm on your side. Okay? I believe you."

"Okay." Anastasia sniffled, nodding almost as if she was trying to convince herself of his words. She forced a smile to her lips, facing him with tear-stained cheeks. It earned a tug at his heart, wishing he could do more. "At least, you got me out of there before it could get any worse, Bruce."

"I wish I had gotten you out sooner," he said softly, reaching forward to swipe the tear at the corner of her eye. For a moment, he caressed her cheek as he felt how warm she was underneath his touch. Good, he didn't want her to catch a cold. "I thought they were helping you, Ana. I'm so sorry."

She shook her head, placing a gentle kiss in the palm of his hand as she reached up with her hand to place on top of his. "It's okay, Bruce," she reassured, giving him another smile but it didn't reach her eyes. "It wasn't like you could do anything about it."

And, her words only worked to fill Bruce with even more guilt.

They reached Robert Kane Memorial Bridge, the fastest way to reach Wayne Manor on the mainland. A newly built metal gate stood in their path, patrolled by multiple militia guards who worked more as nuisances than protection. Bruce had run into them a few times as Batman, seeing the sneers they gave but could do nothing because of the temporary truce between the GCPD and Batman. At the very least, crime had dropped significantly after their presence but criminals would always find a way around the police. The real reason that crime dropped was because of the Infected, considering they attacked anything and everyone. People stayed inside, afraid. Bruce pulled up to the checkpoint, lowering the window. Anastasia watched curiously, but she didn't say anything as she kept her eyes on Bruce. The checkpoints were there so the militia could keep track of everyone entering and leaving Gotham, attempting to prevent the spread of the virus.

The soldier curled his scarred hand on the mirror, bending down to peer into the car with his flashlight. From the corner of his eyes, Bruce could see Anastasia flinch at the bright light as she covered her eyes for a brief moment. The soldier noticed, narrowing his eyes as recognition flashed in them. Bruce kept his hands visible, resting on the steering wheel to not cause any unnecessary complications with the soldiers. He wanted to take Anastasia home, not deal with them. "I need IDs, a notarized letter stating your reason for breaking curfew, and negative N-Virus results," the man demanded, narrowing his eyes at Bruce. "Now."

Bruce was slow with his movements, reaching into the center console to take out everything that the soldier needed. He held out his and Anastasia's driver licenses, showing them to the soldier who took them from him. "I, also, have a notarized letter from Mayor Dent that was signed just an hour ago," Bruce commented, holding it out for the soldier to see. Behind him, he could see a few other men just watching with frowns. They held onto their guns, showcasing their power with pride. "And, I have two negative test results for the virus. Both tests are dated for tonight, so they're valid."

The older soldier huffed at Bruce's words, heading back into the checkpoint to validate the licenses and paperwork. It left them alone with the snickering young soldiers as they looked over Bruce's car with mild curiosity. There were three of them, all seeming to be in their twenties and inexperienced. Bruce stared straight with lips pressed together in a thin line, annoyance lingering on his features. He was far too aware of the soldiers as they circled around the vehicle. One of them stopped by Anastasia's side, but her window was still rolled up as she paid the soldier no attention. He was grateful for the bulletproof windows, despite knowing the soldiers weren't stupid enough to fire at unarmed civilians.

"Say... you're Bruce Wayne, right?" the soldier closest to Bruce's side pointed out, grinning as he bent down to look into the vehicle. Bruce ignored him, taking slow breaths to not let his anger overtake his emotions. These days, the persona of Bruce Wayne was difficult to play as his mind turned to Batman's ways. Anastasia was quiet too, observing the soldiers as she messed with the buttons on the coat again. She was uncomfortable, feeding Bruce's anger toward the soldiers. "Lots of rumors about you and your pretty wife," he pointed to Anastasia, clicking his tongue as he raised a brow. "First, they were saying you murdered her in cold blood. Then, they found her infected and shipped her off to Arkham. What an eventful few weeks for the two of you!"

"You break her out of Arkham Asylum or something?" another soldier asked, laughing with his friends as he tilted his head to get another look at Anastasia. He tapped on Anastasia's window, ordering for her to roll down the window. She hesitated, but did as she was told. Bruce clenched his jaw, glaring at the guard that was beside his wife. "Half expected to see a monster, but you still look human."

"Step back," Bruce spat out, glaring at the young soldier. It only earned a toothy grin from the man, amused by Bruce's reaction. No doubt, the soldiers had nothing better to do than mess with whoever came through the checkpoint. But, Bruce wasn't about to let them bother Anastasia.

The soldier glanced at his friends, shrugging his shoulders. "I don't know..." he said slowly, taking a step back as he looked over the car and then back at them with a mischievous glint brewing in his eyes. Bruce's jaw clenched even tighter, feeling his teeth grind against each other as he glared. "I have suspicions about this vehicle; we might need to do a full search."

His eyes met Anastasia's, noticing the anxiousness written across her features. He wanted to drive off, break down the metal barrier that kept them from crossing the bridge. After all, the car could handle it since it had been through much worse. He had designed it himself with Lucius Fox, knowing that the car could ram through walls if need be. But, that would cause the GCPD to get involved and give them a valid reason to put out an arrest warrant against him. Most of Gotham already wanted to see him behind bars after they found out the Wayne legacy wasn't as clean as they thought. Bruce needed to be on his best behavior, still having some responsibilities to withhold.

"Get out of the car," the soldier ordered, snapping his fingers at the two of them. He opened his mouth to bark another order, but suddenly he began to cough violently as he stumbled back. Bruce and Anastasia shared a look, confused as they watched the soldier slowly begin to turn a shade of purple. His comrades noticed, quickly rushing to his side as they slapped his back.

"I would say that's karma," Anastasia muttered quietly, chuckling as she watched the soldier choke on seemingly nothing. Bruce hummed, grateful the soldiers were distracted. He turned to Anastasia, giving her a reassuring smile to silently tell her everything was alright. But, she didn't seem anxious anymore as she stared outside. She stared at the walls of the checkpoints, but there wasn't anything there that could catch her attention. He tried not to focus on it, watching the older soldier come back with their documents.

The older soldier spared a glance at the younger soldiers, wrinkling his nose as he shook his head. He handed Bruce the licenses and paperwork, nodding his head. "Everything looks good," he said, watching as Bruce put everything back into the center console. The soldier pressed a button on the remote he had, watching as the gate slowly began to open. "You're free to pass."

Bruce sped off, barely waiting for the gate to open fully.

Anastasia hummed, keeping her eyes focused on him. "Do they do that often?"

"Abuse their power? I'm sure they do," Bruce muttered, shaking his head. He couldn't wait till the private militia were out of his city, irritated by their presence since they tended to cause more trouble than they were worth. Anastasia took in his reply, glancing back at the checkpoint as it slowly disappeared into the background. She sighed, leaning back in her seat. It wouldn't be long till they reached Wayne Manor, only about ten to fifteen minutes.

Bruce kept quiet, aware that Anastasia was slowly falling asleep as her head fell against the seatbelt. His gaze flickered in her direction, noticing the tired expression on her face as she kept her eyes closed. A sigh left his own lips, staring at the road as he listened to her slow breaths. It was late, almost one o'clock in the morning. He was tired too, feeling his eyes close as he drove down the dark road that led toward the acres of land they owned. In the distance, he could see the dull lights of the manor. Alfred kept most of the lights off these days, making the manor disappear into the background.

The gates opened, allowing him to bring the car inside before he parked it right in the front. He couldn't be bothered to bring it all the way to the back of the manor, parking it with their other vehicles. A sigh left his lips, turning off the engine before he stole another glance at his wife. Bruce didn't have the heart to wake her just yet, watching as her eyes fluttered every so often. He pulled out his phone, watching as the notifications poured in. A few emails from Wayne Enterprises, mostly from the Board of Directors as they gave him updates about what was happening with the company. The numbers had stopped decreasing and stabilized, but they were still in the negative. Next, he noticed the multiple messages from Selina Kyle but he only bothered to read the most current ones that were sent about ten minutes ago.

SELINA.
They let you take Anastasia out of Arkham?
How?
She is still infected, isn't she?
Or is there a cure now?
Has she said anything about Laura?
Emilia is asking. And, angry.
Don't ignore me, Bruce.
Answer back.

Bruce ignored the messages, not having the willpower to reply to them. He had dealt endlessly with Laura's family, along with Selina over the past week. They wanted to bust into Arkham and question Anastasia themselves, demanding to know where Laura was. But, it wasn't as if Anastasia knew. Or if she did, she didn't remember. Bruce didn't want them overwhelming Anastasia, not yet. He looked at his wife again, watching as strands of her blonde hair fell into her face. Her hair had grown out quite a bit in the past two weeks, having been just above her shoulders before to several inches below. He wondered if she would cut it again, knowing his wife preferred to keep her hair on the shorter side. Her reasoning was something only she knew, but Bruce didn't mind her hair either way ━━ whatever she preferred. He looked at the time, deciding it would be best to wake her up so they could head inside. Normally, he would have carried her up to their bedroom and allowed her to sleep. But, he knew Alfred was waiting to see Anastasia and she would want to see him too.

He reached out, placing a gentle hand against Anastasia's shoulder. "Ana?" he called out softly, not wanting to startle the woman. "We're home."

For a brief moment, Anastasia doesn't remember where she was as a mild panic sets in but she feels herself immediately calm as Bruce's features come into view. Then, she remembered as she looked out the car window at Wayne Manor that loomed over them in greeting. Her mind can't help but compare the pristine manor to the one she had seen in the Nox, recalling how the walls were covered in moving vicious plants, mold covering every surface, and the creatures scaled the walls as their sharp nails ripped through the stone. She had almost forgotten what Wayne Manor truly looked like, finding it difficult to call it her home after so long.

"Ana?" Bruce tried to get her attention again, causing her to look at him. Concern was written across his expression from her lack of a reply, brows furrowed together and his lips were set in a frown. "Are you okay, darling?"

Anastasia nodded. "I'm fine."

Perhaps, just a little overwhelmed, but that wasn't something she wanted to confess to Bruce. He was worried about her, something she could tell from just a glance in his direction. Throughout the whole car ride, she felt as if Bruce kept his eyes more on her than on the road. It was understandable, considering everything that had happened, but she was as fine as she could be. As for everything else, there wasn't much they could do to improve her condition.

"Do you want to head inside?" Bruce suggested, watching her expression for any unspoken feelings. He held the car keys in his hands, fidgeting with the key fob as he waited for her reply. It seemed as if Bruce was more nervous than she was, but his face didn't show it. Yet, his hands did. "I know Alfred has been waiting for your return home. It's been... too... long."

"It has," Anastasia nodded slowly, knowing how sweet Alfred always was toward her. She loved Alfred, seeing him as the perfect father figure she never had. But, she struggled to remember his face. It had been months since she had last seen Alfred, causing her to let out a soft sigh. "Let's not keep him waiting, then?"

Bruce exited the car first, coming around to the other side to open the door for Anastasia. With his help, she stepped out of the car and it gave her flashbacks to the moment they had come home from the hospital after the incident at the debate. At the very least, she no longer needed the oxygen tank. Though, Anastasia found herself wishing she could return to that time since life was on the easier and safer side. Anastasia walked with Bruce, making their way to the front door that opened before they could even ring the doorbell. Warm light from inside the manor flooded outside, basking them in the light. Alfred stood, hands trembling as a kind smile spread across his lips.

Alfred stepped forward. "Welcome home, Anastasia."

Anastasia took a step forward, greeting Alfred with a tight embrace. He returned it immediately, holding her close as he gently caressed her blonde hair. "I missed you, Al," she said softly, sniffling as she rested her head on his shoulder. He still smelt like his regular cologne ━━ amber, cedarwood, and leather. Though, very faintly, she could smell the sweet aroma of chocolate chip cookies on him. His signature scent was similar to one that Bruce wore, something that seemed to be the custom for the Waynes. After so long, it smelt foreign to Anastasia. She pulled away from the embrace, looking up at the man as she held his aged hands. "How are you?"

He chuckled, tears pricking at his eyes as he shook his head. "Better now that you're here, my Lady," Alfred replied, urging them to come into the manor as he closed the door behind them and locked it. It had stopped raining outside, but the cold was still biting. "Your disappearance... It had the both of us so worried, Anastasia," Alfred sighed, placing a weak hand against her cheek. For a second, he shared a sad look with Bruce ━━ something she pretended not to notice. "But, you're home now. You have nothing to worry about."

"Right..." Anastasia nodded slowly, wishing she could confide the truth in them. Alfred and Bruce were the only people she truly trusted in the world now, but she wouldn't dare to tell them anything since she didn't want to risk them thinking she had lost her mind too. She focused her attention on the manor instead, seeing nothing had changed from the time she had been gone. It all looked the same, but that didn't surprise her. It had been five months for her, but only two weeks for them. She wondered if her friends from the other side had anything to say, but they remained quiet. They had made their presence known again earlier at the checkpoint, pulling a few strings when the guards had started to pester them. But, other than that, they were quiet.

A voice in the back of her mind reminded her that the mysterious words haven't confirmed themselves to be either Cece or Charlie, but it wasn't as if it could be anyone else. Hopefully, it was them. Anastasia didn't want any more surprises.

Alfred caught her attention again, causing her to focus on him as he smiled warmly. "But, how are you, Anastasia?"

She shrugged, not knowing how to answer that one question everyone loved to ask. "I'm fine."

Her answer caused Alfred and Bruce to share another look, causing her to frown at the silent conversations.

"If this is about me being... sick..." Anastasia trailed off, sighing as she faced the two of them. She could hear the words in their silent conversation, knowing exactly what was on their mind. Her being infected was the topic of the night, considering it wasn't safe for her to be home and she was scared she risked infecting Alfred and Bruce. But, she knew they couldn't get infected unless they ingested her blood somehow. "I feel fine at the moment, I do. I know I look terrible, but I feel better than I look."

"Hey, don't worry about that," Bruce reassured, taking her hand as he gave it a light squeeze. It was something Bruce always did when she would be feeling anxious, but this wasn't something he could fix with a wave of his hand. Still, he provided some comfort as he smiled at her. "We'll find a cure, get the best doctors on this, I promise. You're going to be fine, Ana. I won't let anything happen to you."

Anastasia nodded. "Sure."

"Oh dear, the two of you are soaked. It must have been pouring in the city," Alfred commented hastily as he changed the topic, helping Anastasia take off the rain-soaked coat. Underneath the coat, she was mostly dry as the coat accomplished its task to shield her from the cold. However, her hair clung to her skin from how wet it still was. Bruce, on the other hand, was completely soaked from rain water since he had given her his coat. Alfred turned to Bruce, clicking his tongue. He leaned over to Anastasia, whispering even though Bruce could clearly hear him. "He's had a cold for a few days, but he claims that he is fine. I'm sure you'll be able to knock some sense into him."

She laughed, shaking her head as she looked over at Bruce with a raised brow. "You shouldn't be going out in the rain if you're sick, Bruce."

"I'm fine," Bruce reassured, shrugging his shoulders. "Alfred is exaggerating."

"Go, freshen up the two of you," Alfred ordered, giving them kind smiles. It was a pleasant feeling to have the family back together, even if it wouldn't be for too long. At least, Anastasia was grateful to spend her last days with them. Alfred looked down at the watch around his wrist, frowning. "It is a little late, but I've prepared dinner. All of Anastasia's favorites in celebration of her homecoming!"

Anastasia smiled, having missed Alfred's cooking. All of the Wayne Manor's staff must have already gone home, so Anastasia would have to thank them the next time she saw them. If they were still going to show up to work with her in the manor, she didn't want to risk anyone else being near her. "Well, I'm starving," she added, clasping her hands together. A hot bath and dinner sounded like a perfect way to end the long day she had, even though everything kept replaying in her head over and over again. But, she could use a distraction and it seemed that was what Alfred and Bruce were providing. "Thank you, truly."

Alfred nodded, clasping his hands behind his back. "Anything for you, my Lady."

"Ana, darling, why don't you head up?" Bruce suggested softly, giving her a smile. There was going to be another conversation she wasn't a part of, but she didn't care if she was being honest. She'd rather not be present for the 'Infected Anastasia' conversation. "I just have a few things I need to discuss with Alfred. I'll be up soon."

"Okay," she said, heading toward the grand staircase that would lead into the upper wings of the manor. To the left, it was the wing that belonged to herself and Bruce. To the right, Alfred's quarters could be found and a lot of the guest bedrooms that never got used. She rarely found herself in that part of the manor, something in her mind telling her that wandering around the manor would cause her to stumble on secrets she shouldn't know. She pulled herself out of her thoughts, waving to them as they watched closely. "See you two soon."

Anastasia headed upstairs, stepping into the bedroom that belonged to her and her husband, Bruce. Turning the lights on, she could see that nothing had changed. Everything remained untouched, making her wonder if Bruce had even slept in the room while she was gone. The pink-toned sheets were pristine, well mostly. The pillows were still out of place ━━ just the way she had left them. It was how she knew for sure that Bruce hadn't slept in their bed, but Alfred had come to dust since every surface was clean. She sighed softly, taking a seat on the bed. It was vastly different from the bed she had in Arkham and she had gotten used to sleeping on the ground or tattered couches in the Nox. It felt too soft, causing her to sink into it. Anastasia stood, not wanting to waste time as she moved to her closet to find something to change into after her bath.

Everything remained untouched, things still out of place from the charity ball they had thrown. She remembered Laura had gone through all her shoes and jewelry in complete awe. Anastasia didn't disturb anything, not having the heart to move things around since Laura had been the last one to touch them. She grabbed a pair of pajamas from the depths of her closet, one of Bruce's old t-shirts and a pair of gray pajama bottoms. The only thing she could truly think about was being comfortable, already feeling out of place in the manor after so long. She headed into the bathroom, sitting on the edge of the tub before she began to fill it with hot water.

She watched as steam rose from the tub, slowly filling up as she poured some soap into the water. The scent of lavender filled the bathroom as she dipped her fingers into the tub to test its temperature. It burned her fingers, but she didn't care too much. Anastasia undressed, ignoring how prominent her newfound scars looked in the light before she stepped into the tub. She closed her eyes, resting into the water as it continued to burn her skin.

HAPPY TO BE HOME?

Anastasia opened her eyes at the sound of sparks, staring at the bold words that appeared on the wall adjacent. They disappeared once she had read them, leaving no trace against the stone walls. She shrugged her shoulders, letting out a sigh. "I am..." She mumbled, twirling her fingers around the water as the soap created a marble design. "But, I feel like everything has changed. I can tell Bruce and Alfred look at me differently now."

LET THEM. THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

She let out another heavy sigh, wishing she didn't have such a defeatist attitude. "I know..." Anastasia muttered, shaking her head. "But, it still hurts."

She glanced toward the doorway, making sure she wouldn't be caught talking to the walls. It was something she wasn't sure she could explain, especially if Bruce caught her. Alfred? She could claim it was exhaustion and she was truly just talking to herself, he would make a mental note but let it go. Bruce, on the other hand, wouldn't let it go and would want to know every little thing, probably get her a personal psychologist too. The first time she had revealed she had seen words on the walls, Detective Gideon had made fun of her and she didn't need a repeat of that.

"Listen... I'm still sick..." Anastasia started off slowly, hoping they were listening on the other side. "Infected with the virus from the Nox, I don't think I have long left. Please, I need to know. Is there a cure?"

Anastasia waited for a reply. Instead, the words said: BRUCE IS HERE.

There was a gentle knock on the door, causing her to look at Bruce who stood in the doorway with his eyes lowered. "Do you mind some company?"

"Of course not," Anastasia said quietly, telling him to come in. She looked around the bathroom, making sure there weren't any hidden messages from the other side. But, they had quieted down and faded into the background. Yet, Anastasia could still feel their presence even if she couldn't see them.

Bruce approached slowly, dressed in different dry clothing now. He must have changed in the closet, making her silently plead with the universe that he hadn't heard her talking to herself. He took a seat on the edge of the tub, studying her healed scars scattered all over her arms, chest, and back. Fortunately, he couldn't see the ones that spanned across her abdomen and legs. Not all of them were deep, most of them were just cuts and scrapes she had incurred while trying to survive in the other world. "Those look painful," he commented sadly, guilt spreading across his features. "I'm sorry."

She frowned, sinking a bit lower in the bubble bath to hide her skin from Bruce. "It's fine," she whispered, meeting his sharp blue eyes. "Don't worry about it, seriously."

"How can I not worry?" Bruce asked softly, matching her expression. He reached forward, placing a gentle hand against Anastasia's cheek. She leaned into his touch, sighing softly as she watched him. "Someone hurt you, I should have been there to protect you."

Anastasia couldn't help the soft laugh that left her lips, shaking her head at him. If Bruce had been there, he would have been ripped apart by the creatures. She would endure the Nox and its horrors over and over again if it meant it would never touch Bruce. "I'm glad you weren't there," she said, leaning against the edge of the tub as she looked up at him. For a moment, his gaze flickered to her back and the bite mark left on her right shoulder blade. It was the only injury that scarred uncontrollably, leaving her veins underneath her skin to appear as a dark purplish-red. It stood out against her pale complexion, marking her as Infected. She frowned, shrugging her shoulders. "It doesn't hurt anymore, don't worry."

Bruce inhaled sharply, trying to find his voice. "But, it's still making you sick. It's killing you, Anastasia."

She could only shrug again, meeting his eyes as she tried to smile at him. "It ends the way it ends, Bruce."

"Don't say that," Bruce reprimanded, giving her a stern look at her words. He seemed to be more hurt by her own words than she was, considering she had already had this conversation with herself. Accepting that you're going to die, it isn't for the faint of heart. After Birdie's death, Anastasia knew she was next and her stay on Earth had only been prolonged because her doctors were injecting her with decades-old serum. It was something Bruce still needed to come to terms with, hopefully soon. "Don't you want to get better, Ana?"

Anastasia stared at him numbly, not giving him a verbal answer since she couldn't find it within herself to say it out loud. Yet, somehow he had his answer as he looked away from her with an exhausted exhale. She didn't want to add to his stress, so she attempted to provide some comfort. "Of course, I do," she said, shrugging her shoulders as she turned her attention back to the bubbles in the tub. The scent of lavender was overwhelming, but she didn't mind. "But... I'm being realistic here, baby. I'm going to die and... I want you to be prepared."

"Stop it," Bruce snapped, shaking his head as he bit his tongue. His sharp tone did not bother Anastasia, causing her to offer him a sad smile. It wasn't easy to talk about death; it never was and it was never going to be. But, Bruce wanted to dwell in denial for a while. "You're going to be fine. I promise━━"

"Bruce, honey, stop please," Anastasia said gently, shaking her head at him. He kept his back turned to her, sitting straight as he remained deep in his thoughts. However, his ears were always tuned to her voice as he still continued to listen. "There is no cure. Even the serum they were giving me, it was only prolonging the inevitable. Just think of it as... I don't know... It's the same as me having been diagnosed with any other terminal illness. I'm sick and there's no cure. I will die. It's better than turning into some monster." She reached forward, wet hands taking his. "My love?"

He didn't turn to face her, attempting to shield her from his true emotions as tears welled in his eyes. Bruce rarely cried, trying to appear strong as he ran from his emotions any chance he got. But, she wouldn't allow him to run this time. She gave him another sad smile, tilting her head to get a look at him.

"I'm here with you now, Bruce. What little time I have, let's just enjoy it," she said softly, caressing the top of his hand with her thumb. His hands tightened around hers, refusing to let go. "Please, it would be easier for the both of us."

"How do you expect me to live without you?" Bruce asked bitterly, looking down at her for the first time in the past few minutes. The whites of his eyes had turned red, fighting off the tears that had begun to slowly stream down his cheeks. He clenched his jaw, shaking his head as he let out a heavy sigh. "Ana, I can't..."

"Well, you lived a fulfilling life before we were married, didn't you?" Anastasia teased, raising a brow at him as she remembered his past reputation. Playboy Billionaire Bruce Wayne was someone every man and woman wanted in Gotham, but somehow he had settled down with her. She was sure, after she was gone, Bruce would have no trouble finding another person to live a long happy life with. "Hey, look, I know it's hard, my love. Do you think this is how I wanted our story to end? We were supposed to live a full life together. I wanted the picturesque life with you ━━ a loving marriage, being at the top of our careers, a whole bundle of children, a chance to grow old together."

"This is all my fault..." Bruce whispered, taking slow uneasy breaths. It was clear that Anastasia wasn't doing the best job at comforting him, making her feel terrible at the pain she was putting him through. But, it would only be for a little while longer.

"No, it's not," Anastasia reassured, clicking her tongue. She kept a smile on her face, looking up at him despite Bruce not having the courage to face the truth. The last thing she wanted was Bruce beating himself about the things they couldn't change, the past should stay in the past. "You didn't do anything wrong. You were perfect in your own way."

Guilt flashed across Bruce's features, causing her to sigh. There was no changing Bruce's mind, knowing the feelings brewing within himself demanded to be felt. They clawed at him, keeping him down as they continued to tell him that everything was his fault. Anastasia understood, wishing she could take away his pain.

"If you wanna do me right, you can give me the perfect funeral," Anastasia joked around, hoping she could steer the conversation in a more playful direction. "I like the color pink, you know? Have my coffin be pink."

Bruce let out a breath, wetting his lips. He could tell what she was trying to do, playing along instead of reprimanding her for not taking things seriously. "Okay, then," he inhaled softly, facing her again. His features remained playful, but his eyes couldn't hide his pain. "Pink coffin, it is. What kind of flowers do you want?"

"Maybe the same ones we had for our wedding?" Anastasia suggested, raising a playful brow as she continued to hold his hands. "They were pink too!"

"Pink peonies and carnations," Bruce recalled, nodding his head. "We might have to throw in some white flowers to balance out all the pink, though."

DID YOU KNOW THERE'S A MYTH SAYING THAT PINK CARNATIONS REPRESENT A MOTHER'S UNDYING LOVE?

Anastasia hummed, hearing the scorch marks sound overhead before she subtly glanced up at them. The words appeared on the ceiling, near the light fixture as it flickered for a few moments before stabilizing at the same time the words disappeared. Bruce didn't notice, proving her hypothesis that only she could see the messages. Though, she wasn't sure if that was the case when she was in the Nox too. The writing didn't leave scorch marks in the real world as it did in the Nox, thankfully.

"I think pink carnations represent gratitude actually," Anastasia corrected her mystery visitor, seeming to be speaking to Bruce. She kept her gaze lowered, staring at Bruce and her interlocked hands. "And, peonies... I think they represent happiness, good fortune, and love. But, hey, I'm not an expert, I just think they're pretty."

Bruce hummed, listening. "Not the best for a funeral."

Anastasia chuckled, looking up at him with nothing but complete adoration in her eyes. She loved Bruce, there was no doubt about that fact. "It's okay. I don't think anyone is brave enough to tell you otherwise," she pointed out, squeezing his hands. But then, she remembered one person who would always find a way to criticize. "Well, maybe Regina would. To be safe, don't invite her to the funeral or I'll haunt you for sure."

Bruce laughed, nodding his head. "Okay, I promise. She's off the guest list."

"Can you promise me something else too?" Anastasia asked, her tone drifting into one that was more serious. It caused him to frown, waiting for her to continue. She let out a heavy breath, resting her chin on his thigh. He didn't seem to mind that water soaked through his pant leg, only using his free hand to lightly caress her head. "Promise me you'll be okay after I'm gone?"

"I can't promise you that," Bruce immediately said, shaking his head. It hurt her heart to hear him say that, but Anastasia was adamant. She wouldn't rest till she heard Bruce say the words.

"Please?" Anastasia pleaded quietly, meeting his soft gaze. She squeezed his hand again, giving it a gentle kiss. "It would give me peace, Bruce."

There was a moment of silence, Bruce thinking. He sighed, slowly nodding his head. "Fine, Ana," he whispered. "I promise."

"Good," she whispered, shifting in the water as she felt it start to go cold. It made her think back to the ice bath that Radcliffe and Strange forced her into, but she pushed those thoughts out of her mind as she tried to focus on herself and Bruce. "You don't know how much easier that makes things."

"But, we're going to find a cure," Bruce added, running his fingers gently through her wet hair as he tried to comb out the tangles. "I'm not giving up on you ever.."

Anastasia nodded. "Okay, we'll find a cure."

IF A CURE IS WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR, I CAN HELP YOU.

Anastasia's eyes flickered to the words, seeing them appear on the ground this time near Bruce's feet. Again, he didn't notice them but he did see how her attention drifted to the ground. So, the person on the other side did have a cure but they didn't think it was important until right now to say so. A part of her feared it was the Overseer reaching out to her, but it couldn't be him. He wasn't interested in having her return, considering all he had done was try to kill her while she was in the Nox. The messages, who she wanted to believe were Cece or Charlie, were helpful and a bit playful like they were. Though, she had never met any of them nor could say with complete certainty that the words weren't a hallucination. But, Anastasia still had some faith. She hummed, looking at Bruce again as she smiled.

"Hopefully..." she said softly, speaking mostly to the person on the other side who she knew was listening in. But, Bruce remained oblivious to the true nature of the conversation. "We find a cure before I get any worse."

THE CURE IS IN THE NOX.

She took a sharp breath, almost as if she had been struck. Bruce noticed, silently looking over her to make sure she hadn't injured herself accidently. But, Anastasia could only think about having to return back to the Nox ━━ just as Strange had said ━━ if she wanted to be cured. It was the last place she wanted to go.

Bruce nodded, gaining her attention again as he placed a hand on her shoulder to ground her back to reality. His actions were gentle as he caressed her skin, behaving as if nothing was wrong. But, Anastasia could see the concern that brewed within his gaze. He had noticed her acting off, making her frown. "We'll find a cure, darling," he said quietly, letting out a soft breath. "I promise."

The moment between the two of them was broken by the distant sound of shouts that echoed from the main hallway into their bedroom. Bruce frowned, staring at the bathroom door that led into their bedroom as he tried to make out the voices. "Stay here, Anastasia," he said quietly, leaning down to place a gentle kiss against her forehead. His face hid his true emotions, being overshadowed by something Anastasia couldn't place. "I'll be right back. I wasn't expecting us to have visitors so late at night."

Anastasia nodded, watching Bruce leave. She waited five minutes before she stepped out of the bathtub, drying herself off before she put on her pajamas. After brushing her teeth and combing through her hair (and wondering if she should get it cut), Anastasia could still hear shouting coming from downstairs. She followed the voices, heading into the hallway where she could peer over the stone railing downstairs into the main hall. She immediately recognized who it was ━━ Selina Kyle and Emilia Moretti. The latter screaming at Bruce, demanding answers and a chance to speak to her. Anastasia watched, confused on what was going on but she knew it had to be about Laura.

"You're an entitled piece of shit, you know that right?" Emilia shouted at Bruce, giving him a harsh shove back. But, Bruce doesn't so much flinch as the woman shouted at him. Anastasia couldn't help but notice how similar Emilia and Laura looked, donning the exact same features. "You get to find your wife, you get to pull some strings and bring her home. It isn't fair! And now, you're refusing to let me talk to her! She knows where Laura is! Why don't you understand that?"

"Emilia, enough," Bruce reprimanded, shaking his head. "Anastasia doesn't know where Laura is, try to understand that. The police are doing their best to find your sister, have faith."

Emilia scoffed, disappointed and angered by his words. For a brief moment, she has nothing to say. She glanced up, noticing Anastasia leaned against the stone railing. Her brown eyes narrow into sharp daggers, hatred brewing within them. It was something Anastasia could see from her spot, causing her to take a deep breath as she waited. She had an inkling of how Emilia and the rest of city felt about her, considering rumors spread quick in a city like Gotham.

"Where is my sister, Anastasia?" Emilia shouted, causing Anastasia to frown. She couldn't find the words to say, knowing that Emilia's anger came from a place of hurt. There wasn't a word of comfort that Anastasia could provide, knowing only Laura's safe return would soothe Emilia's pain. "You know where she is! The two of you were taken together. How did you get away but she didn't?"

"Ana, go back inside," Bruce said, looking up at her with a stern expression as he gestured to the hallway that led toward their bedroom. "I'll deal with this."

"Oh, fuck you, Bruce," Selina spat out, stepping in between Emilia and Bruce. She acted as a barrier, providing emotional and physical protection for the younger woman. "You're part of the problem, don't you see? You're so busy trying to protect Anastasia that you don't even see what's going on!"

"Selina, please enough," Bruce hissed, glaring in her direction as if he was silently telling her to stop. Anastasia knew there was something going on between Selina and Bruce, not romantic but there was something they were hiding. However, his silent plea did cause Selina to back down.

"Where is Laura?" Emilia shouted, focusing on Anastasia as she ignored the silent conversation Bruce and Selina shared. Her feet moved her to the edge of the staircase, threatening to come up to where Anastasia was standing.

"I don't know," Anastasia said softly, shaking her head. It wasn't the complete truth, considering she was told that Laura was in the Heart of the Nox. But, it wasn't something she could tell Emilia. However, seeing the toll Laura's disappearance was taking broke Anastasia's heart. Her hands curled around the railing, letting out a shaky breath. "I'm sorry, Emilia. Truly, I am."

"If you did anything to her, I swear to God!" Emilia screamed, pointing an accusing finger in Anastasia's direction. Her face had turned a shade of red, anger twisted upon her features. Selina placed a gentle hand on Emilia's shoulder, trying to calm her down. It seemed that Emilia was under the impression that Anastasia had directly caused misfortune for Laura. Well, she had. But, she wasn't sure what had happened to Laura after they had gone through the rift. "Just tell me where she is, please!"

Anastasia shook her head. "I don't know where she is."

"You're lying! You have to be!" Emilia shouted, tears starting to run down her cheeks. She seemed to be getting all her information from Detective Rafe Gideon, one of his theories being that Anastasia had teamed up with the Children of Arkham to regain her freedom. It was a complete lie, but they didn't believe her when she had told them the truth. At her silence, Emilia's sadness had morphed into anger. She gritted her teeth, still glaring. "The only solace I have is knowing you'll be dead soon. You deserve this. It's your fault that Laura is gone!"

"That is enough!" Bruce snapped, losing his temper for a brief moment as he regarded both Emilia and Selina. "Both of you need to leave, now."

Anastasia could only watch numbly, seeing as Bruce led them to the front doors and kicked them out. All the while, Emilia shouting in her direction and Selina encouraging it. Anastasia didn't blame them, silently taking it as tears welled in her eyes. She could see Alfred locking up the doors with Bruce, setting the alarm system as they shared a quiet conversation that didn't reach her ears.

Bruce sighed, coming back to the bottom of the staircase. She looked down at him with saddened eyes, not bothering to hide her true emotions from him. He held a hand out. "Ana, come down, let's have dinner."

Anastasia shook her head, barely able to find her voice as her hands trembled. "I'm not hungry, actually," she whispered, trying to keep her brave composure as she pushed herself back from the railing. "I want to go to bed."

"Ana," Bruce said, slowly taking a few steps up the stairs. However, he stopped when he saw Anastasia shaking her head as she clasped her hands together.

"I'm sorry..." Anastasia whispered, telling Bruce silently to keep his distance. "I just... I want to be alone, please."

Bruce stared for a moment, but he nodded in understanding. "Okay, I'll be here if you need me," he said softly, forcing a smile. "I'll be in the study. Please come, if you need anything."

Anastasia nodded, sniffling as she began to walk toward the bedroom. She didn't say anything further to him, closing the door before locking it. All she wanted to do was spend the rest of the night alone, away from Bruce and Alfred. They meant well, but they couldn't truly understand. Anastasia let out a shaky breath, taking a seat on the floor. Her mind overwhelmed with guilt, wanting Laura back. A soft sob left her lips, holding herself close.

DON'T CRY, ANA.

Anastasia could only stare at the glowing words, shaking her head. "I've caused all this..." she pointed out, pulling her knees to her chest. "Gotham is suffering because of me, because I couldn't stop digging. Doctor Strange said that I opened the rifts into the other world... So many people are dead because of me."

NO. NOT YOUR FAULT.

"And, Laura...?" Anastasia trailed off, sniffling. "I got killed her too."

LAURA IS IN THE HEART. SHE IS ALIVE.

The message appeared on the floor of the room, encompassing all of the room as the words repeated over and over again. It slowly creeped up to the walls, until it covered every surface. Anastasia could only stare. Her mind repeated the message.

Laura is in the Heart. She is alive.

"I can't leave her there. I need to find a way to bring her back," Anastasia breathed out softly, messing with the hem of the oversized shirt she wore. She sighed, closing her eyes for a brief moment as she tried to find the courage within herself. "How do I get back to the other side?"

THE TIME WILL COME. I WILL TELL YOU EVERYTHING SOON.

HI GUYS. It's been some time since I updated and I am so sorry for the delay! This chapter was supposed to be done a while ago, but there's a lot of things going on in my life! Some good, some bad! It is how life goes! Good things first, we bought a house so I have been in the process of moving and that is so tiring. I have such a hard time staying awake because of how tired I am. I am also back on morning shifts so I have to wake up around 6:30AM and get ready for work! But, hopefully, I should be able to figure out a writing schedule soon! Other than that, the lack of sleep and stress is taking a toll on my mental health but staying strong! Just gotta keep pushing and things will get easier! I hope all of you guys have been well too!

I feel like this chapter is very similar to how chapter thirteen played out, but I like the parallels! It shows how different Ana is compared to who she used to be. I know I said there will be fluff in this chapter, but it didn't fit too much! I have that scene between Bruce and Ana in the bathroom, but that's mostly sad too. Ana is trying to stay strong and we finally get a chance to see how everything is affecting Bruce. He truly is heartbroken and going through a lot, trying to protect Gotham and Ana. He's stressed, Ana is stressed, everyone is stressed. I am excited for upcoming chapters though! I have a lot of heartbreak planned and I hope you guys are ready for all the sadness, haha!

I know Emilia and Selina seem very mean right now, but to them, Ana does seem like the villain. They don't know who to blame, confused on the whole situation. They place some blame on Ana because she was the last person that Laura was with. And, the anger is coming through. But, hopefully everyone will get a happy ending! I have been planning out my Selina Kyle fic and we'll see that posted along with my Harvey Dent fic by the end of this act!

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed! 🩷
The next chapter will be out soon!!

If you guys see any mistakes, so sorry because I feel so out of it and writing has been very hard lately. Feel free to point them out and I will fix them ASAP!

also this is ana 100% right now haha

AMARA.
[ PUBLISH DATE ━━ 05.23.2023 ]

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro