15. the old way

Màu nền
Font chữ
Font size
Chiều cao dòng

Russell's call found them a street away from the federal building. Gillian's phone wasn't completely fixed yet, so he called Brock, who put him on speaker.

"Guys, our ghost's been busy. We're receiving the first report of the online purchases he made with the data he stole. What d'you wanna do about it?"

Brock's quiet support, and now Russell's words, kicked Gillian completely back on the game. She replied without hesitation, "Tell them not to reject any of them yet and send us all the information. We're gonna track that bastard down through them. And tell Fred to make more coffee. Gallons of it."

"Got it."

Gillian met Brock's eyes with a tight smile. "If we cannot catch'im in his virtual turf, we're gonna do it the old way: in the real world."

Brock nodded. "You're gonna track the shipments."

"Hell yes."

They reached the building at the same time that Betty's husband Charlie arrived with the delivery, so the team was more than glad to see them back. Brock stayed at the office with them, and thanked the coffee Fred gave him while the rest of the team tried to keep Kurt from claiming most of the doughnuts.

"Okay, talk to me, lads," said Gillian, going to sit on top of her desk with a steamy mug.

Aldana, sitting behind it, huffed at her intrusion. "The delivery addresses are all over half the East Coast, from here to Virginia."

Gillian noticed Ron's scowl as he read a list. "What is it, Ron?"

"The things he purchased. There seems to be no logic, just a bunch of random stuff. Electronics, house stuff, car parts, cleaning products and whatnot. But if you know how, most of them can be used to make explosives." He gave the list to Hank. "Check the chemical stuff he ordered."

Tanya handed everybody copies of the list. Kurt took a look at his and said, "But not two things are ordered to the same address."

"For now," said Russell. "The receivers can send everything later to one single address somewhere else."

"Where somebody could google a video to see how to start mixing stuff and welding wires and filling bottles," added Hank.

"And that's what we're gonna prevent."

Gillian plain, firm words rescued them from the building-up stress. They all turned to her. She didn't even blink.

"We gotta contact every company where he purchased even a nail. We need them to delay the shipments until Monday and give us the addresses. He has to believe he's still good to go. That gives us today and tomorrow to line out how we're gonna do this. T, Kurt, I need you lads to look into the private corporations the Ghost hacked and search for overlaps on rejected job applications for their systems department over the last six years." She turned to Brock. "We should keep this low."

He nodded. "And we should explain it to Cooper."

Cassidy was at home in DC, having breakfast, when Cooper's press conference begun. Not five minutes later he was in his library, with Gillian, Brock and Russell over Skype. He couldn't stay sit at hearing their news.

"Are you telling me some psycho-nerd is having shipped all over the East Coast things to assemble bombs at an unknown location within a couple of days?" he asked, to make sure he'd gotten it right.

The other three nodded, watching him come in and out of the camera range in shorts and T-shirt, as he paced all over the room.

"So now you better tell me you have a plan."

"So far, we only need to be at a dozen different cities and towns on Monday morning. At the same time," Gillian said. "And be prepared to defend the FBI's mainframe from the worst attack it ever stood."

Cassidy knew better than asking if she was kidding. "Fine. I want you here in DC to coordinate this, so I'll pick you up tomorrow morning. Make sure we have all the places we're gonna hit. I'll have all our whitehats ready."

"Yessir," the other three replied, like soldiers.

Cassidy paused in front of his computer with a little smirk. "We're gonna make some noise."

After Cooper ended the press conference, letting everybody think the procedure the night before had been to catch a dangerous offender the Bureau had been chasing for some time, there was little left to do but wait. Soon they would have the complete list of purchases and addresses. Only then they could make their move.

Bạn đang đọc truyện trên: Truyen2U.Pro